• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.engadget.com

Sonos offers a $69 replacement battery kit for its portable Move speaker

The Sonos Move is the company’s first (and so far only) speaker with a battery. Obviously, batteries eventually die — Sonos knew this and offered a way for Move owners to get their battery replaced. As the name suggests, this $69 kit includes a fresh battery in either white or black as well as...

The Sonos Move is the company's first (and so far only) speaker with a battery. Obviously, batteries eventually die — Sonos knew this and offered a way for Move owners to get their battery replaced. But the company is making it a lot easier today with the new Move battery replacement kit. As the name suggests, this $69 kit includes a fresh battery in either white or black as well as replacement screws and the tools you'll need. And while you're waiting for the battery to arrive you'll at leas be able to use the Move when it's sitting on its charging dock.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was something involved, but i clicked the link the kit looks those 2 dollar eyeglass kits you buy at the cash register at walgreens.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
It's a $400 speaker whose battery Sonos expects to last three years.

Obviously the replacement price is a tad high compared to BOM but I doubt anyone buying a $400 portable speaker in the first place cares.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Wait you can choose what color you want for the battery? Is the battery visible?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad I decided not to go with these speakers when I was looking for a BT speaker setup. Damn lol

Oct 27, 2017
Is this supposed to be a lot?

17% of the device's price to double the lifespan.

No manufacturer is offering cheap battery replacements: Cameras, Field Electronics etc. Unless there is a huge after-market selection of generic replacements, the original battery packs will never come in cheap. Anyone with a DLSR knows that the original Nikon or Canon battery will come in at least $40+, with the large capacity units easily going to $100.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically a small laptop battery at 36WHr. Dell sells a replacement 40WHr batter for $119. At least they are acknowledging that batteries have a finite life span and that they can be replaced and not make the entire product disposable.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a cruel world out there, and Sonos CEO needs another life sized gold statue. Have some compassion, OP.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what a fair price on this looks like to people? An aftermarket battery replacement kit from iFixit for an iPhone 11 Pro is $75, $50 for an iPad.

It's $22 from iFixit to replace a battery 1/3 the size on a UE BOOM, which can usually be had for <$100.