• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
he seems like a good kid

and hey, TGA gave him a mic and he went off and seemed sincere. that's something we've kinda been asking for from TGA right? more time spent on awards and hearing from the winners and nominees

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Just because it seems to have personally offended you doesn't make it a "stunt" or "cringe", buddy
What makes someone cringe is entirely up to them, I'm kind of unsure why people are struggling with that or acting like the word cringe isn't a known, common word with a simple definition. Very good on SonicFox for putting down bigotry, full applause there from me, but yeah that was awkward as hell.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ninja didn't wear a headband, last year boogie wasn't in Francis mode, and Greg Miller went up and made a speech outside of his stage character. Any of these individuals going up in character reeks of old school cringy game events. Whether or not you agree with him, the execution was still very awkward.

As I said way earlier, it seems more of a confidence thing, and much of his speech seemed to stem from nerves with how sporadic and random it was at times. Regardless, it was still awkward in execution
No shit it was awkward, Sherlock. The dude was nervous and hasn't had a spotlight like this on him. Ever. He likes to play video games and he's good at them. Full stop. Doesn't make speeches, likely never thought he'd have to.

The furry suit isn't really a character—it's who he presents himself as at every single public venue he's been at. The head always, always, always goes on at some point.

The fuck is wrong with some of y'all, critiquing an awesome moment for a dude that puts himself out there unashamedly, knowing full well people like you are gonna tut tut at him.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Black gay furry calls out republican for wanting him dead for who he is, but let me tell you about how he should atleast be professional when calling out the people who want him dead.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a 20 year old kid who plays videogames. Yeah, he's going to be a bit awkward in front of a crowd.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand people getting so mad over the most insignificant things that doesn't even affect them in the slightest. I'm eager to know how a black gay furry comments are gonna haunt some people on their dreams and don't let them live the usual privileged life they have.

To add to that, fuck the cringe culture and cringe police, defining what should be happy/fun for the rest of the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, his behavior and following twitter response took me back to a pre-corporatist internet culture I've been sorely missing ever since the advent of Facebook. Professionalism can fuck off and eat shit for the most part. Overrated PR garbage needs to go back in the trash bin where it belongs. Lmao at people worried about him losing sponsors. Fuck those sponsors.

othersteve

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): "Both sides" false equivalence. Account in junior phase.
Who are "you guys"?

Do you think I'm a republican? I wouldn't want to live in the US if you paid me.
It really is something, isn't it?

A couple of quick points:
  1. The prevalence of dichotomous "us vs them" thinking in this thread really is pretty disturbing. If you disagree that A) this was a productive thing to say or B) that 100% of Group X is indeed a hater of Group Y then you obviously must be a member of Group X.
  2. The immediate, reflexive dismissal of all modes of thought that disagree with the far-left "own the cons" rah-rah attitude here is positively antithetical to the very message/philosophy that birthed the liberal/progressive ideology to begin with (freedom of speech/thought).
Life is not a battle between good and evil. It is not an "us vs them" affair. We are not all either 100% in agreement or 100% opposed. I can disagree with your solutions, or your method of communicating something, and still agree with you on your goals. Or I can even disagree with you on your goals and it doesn't make me any "less caring" or delegitimatize my stance. The same goes in reverse.

Highly recommend The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt if anyone seriously wants to understand what's happening in our nation right now. I thought Trump voters were absolutely insane before reading it. I also never understood why leftists simply could not understand the other side of the argument... well, pretty much ever. Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory quite honestly breaks it down intelligibly.

There is more to life than owning the [libs]/[cons]. Love each other. And don't assume the worst of someone with whom you disagree: it's precisely what you've been preaching against, after all, if you consider yourself a true "progressive".

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fox costume. That screams "my fans and/or friends said I should totally do this to troll everyone." Everyone else was essentially dressed up and one individual wore a fox outfit. Put the content of his acceptance speech aside, you'd call this a stunt to troll the event if he had just gone up, howled, laughed, and said things that were for his fan base

It's clear you do not know who he is and have not followed him. He acted no different then he acts normally. That's just who he is, he is un-apologetically himself. He wears the fox costume when he plays fighting games, when he stands on stage to recieve his trophy. Hell, he flew all the way to Japan for a tournament hosted by Bandai Namco and wore it the whole way through then. Him wearing the fox costume is not out of character. It's just not. Saying otherwise shows a complete lack of knowledge on who Dominique Mclean is.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The fox costume. That screams "my fans and/or friends said I should totally do this to troll everyone." Everyone else was essentially dressed up and one individual wore a fox outfit. Put the content of his acceptance speech aside, you'd call this a stunt to troll the event if he had just gone up, howled, laughed, and said things that were for his fan base
This makes it clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so you should probably just stop posting now before you make yourself look even worse.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. The prevalence of dichotomous "us vs them" thinking in this thread really is pretty disturbing. If you disagree that A) this was a productive thing to say or B) that 100% of Group X is indeed a hater of Group Y then you obviously must be a member of Group X.
  2. The immediate, reflexive dismissal of all modes of thought that disagree with the far-left "own the cons" rah-rah attitude here is positively antithetical to the very message/philosophy that birthed the liberal/progressive ideology to begin with (freedom of speech/thought).
Life is not a battle between good and evil. It is not an "us vs them" affair. We are not all either 100% in agreement or 100% opposed. I can disagree with your solutions, or your method of communicating something, and still agree with you on your goals. Or I can even disagree with you on your goals and it doesn't make me any "less caring" or delegitimatize my stance. The same goes in reverse.

Highly recommend The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt if anyone seriously wants to understand what's happening in our nation right now. I thought Trump voters were absolutely insane before reading it. I also never understood why leftists simply could not understand the other side of the argument... well, pretty much ever. Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory quite honestly breaks it down intelligibly.

There is more to life than owning the [libs]/[cons]. Love each other. And don't assume the worst of someone with whom you disagree: it's precisely what you've been preaching against, after all, if you consider yourself a true "progressive".
E I G H T
I
G
H
T

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

isn't Haidt a staunch supporter of Peterson or am I thinking of someone else

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

People try to spin bullshit like this post all the time. It's why people here (rightfully) hate Boogie.

You're sitting here trying to say "let's all just meet in the middle and love each other!" when one side of the equation literally believes that members of the other side should not have the same basic human rights as everyone else.

Sorry, but fuck "love each other."

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sonicfox winning the award is worth seeing the meltdowns in this thread alone😆. Keep showing your asses people.

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty disappointed in all honestly. Maybe I shouldn't have called him edgy, perhaps it was the wrong word. Basically I found it cringeworthy and a weird time to say what he did, but people jump down my throat trying to label me as a republican (which on here simply means bigot). I thought he was trying too hard and sure I shouldn't have equated it to incels/4channers (they do it to be sinister).

Posters on here railing me are ignoring clarifications, then assuming my background. Assuming I'm a white person with only white friends and that I'm in some way against minorities and wish to silence them. If I was to mention my having mostly non-white friends living as a minority in a non-white majority country and having gay friends I'll be told I'm lying or falling back on the "but I have gay friends!" argument.

Just because I found what he did and said cringeworthy doesn't mean I want gays, blacks and furries silenced.

BTW I don't really buy into the love each other thing. Boogie2988 tries that and I fucking despise that spineless shitter. Actual, bonified racism, unsettles me and makes me wanna distance from that person. I currently have an uncle who will sometimes ask if I speak Chinese and then starts saying "ching chong ching chong" etc and it pisses me off so much...

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why the fuck would I want to love a group of people who systematically vote in ways that literally kill me and my friends?

Fuck off with this.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly he was the only highlight of this stiff, mostly boring and ad-driven event.

This was no celebration of games or gaming culture it was almost only advertising for big companies.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing better than people who want minorities to find common ground with people who hate their guts lecturing others on what it means to be a true liberal or progressive.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Grats for sonicfox winning at the event. He's a crazy talented guy that is able to master multiple games and do extremely well at it. Definitely has earned his success the hard way

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Just because I found what he did and said cringeworthy doesn't mean I want gays, blacks and furries silenced.
You also don't want to see to want to learn anything about them either given your earlier pledge to remain ignorant about furries while popping off about how it's a 'sexual kink.'
It's not about black vs. white here.
It's the fact that your ignorance is causing you to vomit stupid shit all over the thread while having access to the information you needed to have avoided doing so.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
You know, for being black and being friends with many Republicans, you'd think I would have met some of these racist/homophobic people you guys talk about so vehemently on here, but I haven't. Not a single one. Hell, they even invite me to go shooting, snowboarding, etc, which is a lot of fun. Feels like ya'll are going out of your way to be ignorant on purpose.

But on course, LET'S GO SONICFOX! Dude is a fucking beast! Root for him in every tourney he is in and hope he can also break into the Smash scene!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Who'd think SonicFox winning an award would out so many posters in this forum lol, you ain't fooling nobody.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Please. The guy made one small joke during his speech mentioning Republicans and it was clearly not the point of his talk, and yet, here it's in the title of the thread. This thread is not about a black gay man getting an award - which it should be about. The thread is about US local politics.

The point of this news should be that a cool person got a reward and, even better, this person is black and gay and that is really great. That's why I said the thread is America-centric while SonicFox's speech wasn't. That's what I liked about what he said and what him getting the award represents: it's has global meaning. Having a person who is not white and who is gay win an award and be super cool about it - that's the news, that is cool for the planet. That's the point. Not the fact that he made a small joke about Republicans (and it really was a small joke) because, honestly, most of us outside USA don't give a fuck about Republicans. I get it, they suck - but believe me, we have our own "Republicans" to deal with in our own countries.

So why not celebrate the fact that a black, gay dude won an award and was fun and funny, instead of making it about USA. And, again, may I remind you that it's literally in the thread title?

Either way, don't want to debate this further, I'm just contributing to making this discussion not about SonicFox. Once again - good for him and glad someone like him won.
So much this! Holy shit. The guy made one off the cuff comment (which IS true), and everyone is acting like that was the crux of his speech. The majority of his speech was super cringe and I honestly got a lot of secondhand embarrassment watching it, but that's OKAY! You could clearly tell he was nervous, but I think it made it genuine. The topic of conversation SHOULD be about how a gay, black (and furry I suppose..) guy won a major video game award. Instead so many people are focusing on a remark that seemed like it was just a stream of consciousness and acting like he gave this amazing, Nobel prize winning speech.

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You also don't want to see to want to learn anything about them either given your earlier pledge to remain ignorant about furries while popping off about how it's a 'sexual kink.'
It's not about black vs. white here.
It's the fact that your ignorance is causing you to vomit stupid shit all over the thread while having access to the information you needed to have avoided doing so.

Nothing I said would have been changed whether I knew exactly what being a furry is about, so it doesn't even really matter.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

Lolol oh man. The irony of a post that reads like the poster thinks he's smarter than everyone else, only to shit out 3 paragraphs of verbal diarrhea that pretty much only amounts to "so much for the tolerant left."This shit is really something else.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I said would have been changed whether I knew exactly what being a furry is about, so it doesn't even really matter.
So you would have charged Sonix Fox with going on about his 'sexual kink' even if you had learned that people in fursuits aren't necessarily doing it to achieve sexual satisfaction?
That doesn't strike you as a dumb thing to do?

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much this! Holy shit. The guy made one off the cuff comment (which IS true), and everyone is acting like that was the crux of his speech. The majority of his speech was super cringe and I honestly got a lot of secondhand embarrassment watching it, but that's OKAY! You could clearly tell he was nervous, but I think it made it genuine. The topic of conversation SHOULD be about how a gay, black (and furry I suppose..) guy won a major video game award. Instead so many people are focusing on a remark that seemed like it was just a stream of consciousness and acting like he gave this amazing, Nobel prize winning speech.

When he got stuck trying to explain the cancer story I thought I was gonna have an anxiety attack.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Here's my final conclusion.

If you are now aware of SonicFox's background, and are still uncomfortable with what he did. You are a bad person.

Yes, take this as a personal attack. I think some people need to know what it feels like to be attacked for being who you are.

The only reason you would continue to find a person expressing himself openly and truly on a stage with where he knew he'd make the most people angry is because you are uncomfortable with genuine, harmless self-expression. He cannot hurt you with this, not like the people that hate him for being who he is; Not like the people who sit back and tell him that he's wrong for being brave in a way very few of us will ever even have the chance to be. You just don't like it.

I find it fair and valid to be uncomfortable if you didn't know who he was. It's very old-internet to look down on furries and immediately think of sexual deviancy. But if you've been in this thread for any length of time, you'd know this isn't a schtick. This is who the man wants to be and how he presents himself. If he has fun with it? Fucking let him.

To reiterate, if you know who SonicFox is you are a bad person if you continue to tut tut someone for making you uncomfortable. (And yeah, "cringe" is just another form of discomfort).

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just want to drop by and say SonicFox is a fucking legend. He is so infectiously enthusiastic over what he does and what he is that I can't possibly understand how anyone can hate that. Unless they're a bigot obviously.

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you would have charged Sonix Fox with going on about his 'sexual kink' even if you had learned that people in fursuits aren't necessarily doing it to achieve sexual satisfaction?
That doesn't strike you as a dumb thing to do?

I mean, I've had his likes end up in my feed.... ok maybe it's not just a regular fetish like pornhub categories, but still...

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

So would it make you feel better if he said "most" Republicans instead of all? Also what does it matter that people react a certain way to actually harmful rhetoric for marginalized groups? Sure, you can love someone and still not put up with their bullshit. See any family dynamic. And who gets to draw the line for what can be assumed? The people spreading and enabling hate, or the people they effect?

Quickly skimming over that theory you posted, does he take into account any preceding factors explaining why Liberals would endorse care and equality more compared to conservatives who endorse all of them more equally? Because its fault obvious why if you look at history and the demographic makeup of each party.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
SonicFox is incredible, and I'm so happy he continues to so thoroughly, ruthlessly and effortlessly dunk on those that try to keep him down.

He is such a positive force for good in the FGC, in eSports and in gaming in general.

Fuck the haters. Fuck the pearl clutchers. Fuck the people who want him be anything but himself.

We see you. We know what you really mean. We know what you really want.

You think you're slick, but you're not.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm innocent, someone educate me as to what "furry" really is.
People who think anthropomorphic animals are rad, so they dress up like them, usually a specific "fursona" that is their alter ego. They put on mascot looking foam/fur costumes and roll play and do silly stuff together. They're also usually really into games and anime.

Like any fandom there is a more extreme side to it, and there is all kinds of fetish stuff, which is fine, but I wouldn't say that is representative of the community as a whole at all.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Loved this so much!! He's absolutely adorable. Shame that there's so many insecure little saddos who can't help but shit on this guy for living his best life, I'd love to see them do better. But yeah, really awesome moment and he earned it.

othersteve

Oct 29, 2017
Why the fuck would I want to love a group of people who systematically vote in ways that literally kill me and my friends?

Fuck off with this.
But there are two things you need to realize.

1. Conservative ideology isn't 100% about the social policies. Fiscal policy is at least as important if not more so depending on your perspective. As of right now, for whatever reason, there is no party to turn to who supports smaller government and less interventionism but also greater liberty and freedom for all humans. It truly is a valid position and in fact is the position from which the current progressives hailed.
2. Even if somebody voted based on such exclusionary cognition, it isn't helpful to ostracize an entire category of people—in fact, the only substantial category who disagree with your classification—simply because a particular segment of that populace supports exclusionary policies. It isn't productive because it does not forward progress toward a goal.

I know it's unglamorous to say so, but while social policies are emotionally appealing, not everyone votes with their amygdala.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know, for being black and being friends with many Republicans, you'd think I would have met some of these racist/homophobic people you guys talk about so vehemently on here, but I haven't. Not a single one. Hell, they even invite me to go shooting, snowboarding, etc, which is a lot of fun. Feels like ya'll are going out of your way to be ignorant on purpose.

But on course, LET'S GO SONICFOX! Dude is a fucking beast! Root for him in every tourney he is in and hope he can also break into the Smash scene!

Which part of the Republican National platform that Republicans vote for isn't homophobic? The anti-gay marriage? The telling Transgender person what bathrooms they can and can't use? Banning Transgender from military?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there are two things you need to realize.

1. Conservative ideology isn't 100% about the social policies. Fiscal policy is at least as important if not more so depending on your perspective. As of right now, for whatever reason, there is no party to turn to who supports smaller government and less interventionism but also greater liberty and freedom for all humans. It truly is a valid position and in fact is the position from which the current progressives hailed.
2. Even if somebody voted based on such exclusionary cognition, it isn't helpful to ostracize an entire category of people—in fact, the only substantial category who disagree with your classification—simply because a particular segment of that populace supports exclusionary policies. It isn't productive because it does not forward progress toward a goal.

I know it's unglamorous to say so, but while social policies are emotionally appealing, not everyone votes with their amygdala.
I voted hitler because he promised he'd make the highways better, don't blame me !

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, your anecdotal evidence completely invalidates all of the opinion polling, judicial decisions and far right legislation that has literally defined the Republican party since the civil rights era.