• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
To them it's something that really like and to folks who don't care then why should it bother them? Like why be bothered about what people are wearing?
8095.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just so we don't get on a slippery slope here, i wouldn't generalize a statement that much. If we go down that rabbit hole we will encounter some sick stuff.

No, there is no rabbit hole. Obviously when we say that we mean "as long as no one is being harmed" (which doesn't include things like BDSM and other consensual pain inducing before you go there..).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really familiar with SonicFox other than that he plays fighting games professionally. But i couldn't care less if he is gay, bi, straight or whatever.

I don't define a person by their sexual orientation and i don't think it's that big of a deal, but who am i to talk. Maybe it's because germany is such a progressive country that being gay is nothing special here it's just how people are and i'm ok with it.
Indifference isn't progressiveness. It's not about gay people being special, it's about recognizing that they have a harder lot in life. The bare minimum you'd have to do is recognize that.

AlmaMater

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Indifference isn't progressiveness. It's not about gay people being special, it's about recognizing that they have a harder lot in life. The bare minimum you'd have to do is recognize that.

That's not true, being indifferent is progressive. It's the same as being indifferent to heterosexuals. I don't mind gay men/women kissing in public, holding hands or whatever, and thats just the same with straight men/women.

But i get what you mean, there sure are some struggles that gay people have to overcome in some aspects of their live which heterosexuals don't face and thats not ok, period. But that is not my fault, nor should i feel guilty for it (edit).

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true, being indifferent is progressive. It's the same as being indifferent to heterosexuals. I don't mind gay men/women kissing in public, holding hands or whatever, and thats just the same with straight men/women.

But i get what you mean, there sure are some struggles that gay people have to overcome in some aspects of their live which heterosexuals don't face and thats not ok, period.
If saying "I don't mind gay people kissing in public" counts as progressive in your head counts as progressive in your head, then ... you gotta set a higher bar.

This is an uphill battle for them. Having a voice, being seen. Same with other groups.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TBH the game awards are the first time I heard of him and then I saw some of his tweets. My first impressions were that he was extremely annoying and cringey. But I spent the time to watch some of his other videos and he actually just seems like a good hearted, but a bit overexcited, young blood.

It's pathetic that people feel the need to attack him. He isn't doing anything wrong and it's not hard to ignore him if you find him annoying. But I guess these are the times we live in.

AlmaMater

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
If saying "I don't mind gay people kissing in public" counts as progressive in your head counts as progressive in your head, then ... you gotta set a higher bar.

This is an uphill battle for them. Having a voice, being seen. Same with other groups.

I don't know what you mean to honest. They have the right get married, they can adopt children and so on, but that doesn't concern me, why would it.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I'm not really familiar with SonicFox other than that he plays fighting games professionally. But i couldn't care less if he is gay, bi, straight or whatever.

I don't define a person by their sexual orientation and i don't think it's that big of a deal, but who am i to talk. Maybe it's because germany is such a progressive country that being gay is nothing special here it's just how people are and i'm ok with it.
I'm sure that's lovely for you, but, please try to understand:

There are a great many bigots in the world who do care about whether someone is gay or straight.

There are a great many bigots in the world who do define a person due to their sexuality.

There are a great many oppressed people in the world who do not get to choose to not care about their sexuality, who do not get to choose to not be defined by it. Look at what's happening in Chechnya to see where this road ends.

Being indifferent, acting as though equality is something that exists already rather than something that must still be fought for, is not some enlightened progressive position. It is in fact a tool of regressiveness.

Neutrality favours the oppressor. "Not caring" favours the oppressor. Anything other than active and unwavering support for the oppressed favours the oppressor.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Straight fragility is almost as hilariously stupid as white fragility and comes down to the same source:

People used to being catered to and seen as the 'default' having toddler tantrums because the world is finally growing up and no longer indulging their self-aggrandizing worldview

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Let the guy say and do whatever the F he wants. This generation of complaining and being offended and judging and making videos about it, it is too much for me. Social media enhances the ugliness of peoples mindset. I would have hoped this generation would have eliminated sexism, discrimination and racism. But it only seems to be getting worse every year.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Im Gay -

Startup: 3 frames
Active: Infinite
Recovery: 0
On hit: + 10
On Block: +1000
Damage: 1 million
Stun: indefinite
Meter Gain: Fabulous
Properties: untechable, can be used as a projectile
Comments: Triggers an Crush Counter state that exposes them on twitter.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
No, just think about your general statement that nobody should care who someone is attracted to.

So it's pretty obvious you're trying to win a "gotcha" by tying a pretty fair and innocent statement about accepting people of "non-standard" sexual orientations into a slippery slope argument about pedophilia and I'm gonna have to ask you to just stop

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Games are at best good art, at worst still intended to be paracosm for a general audience. You need to remember that video games are not only for you. There's a lot to unpack in your sentences here:

1) Sexuality and sexual orientation has never not been in games to some degree. Game characters are designed to have sex appeal, or have moments of growth where their sex life is part of the story (because most people have sex lives and it would be weird to omit it completely in a serious narrative). The old trope in the RPG where the male hero rescues the princess and they become a ship is a part statement of sexual orientation (it shows they are clearly heterosexual, or at least bi). When Max Payne grieves over his dead wife by drinking pain pills while shooting a bunch of dudes vigilante-style, as weird as that is, that is in part a statement of his sexual orientation because it shows how much he cared about the woman who was taken from him. So what you're really expressing is either trolling, or a regression of what videogames have offered audiences for several decades.

2) As far as I'm aware Sonicfox hasn't been posting any inappropriate content that's not suitable for a professional environment. He's simply stating he's not straight. It's weird that anyone thinks he shouldn't be allowed to say that just like it would be weird if you're a hetero guy wanting to express a girl is pretty or that your wife makes you happy. It ends up being a zero sum game of pointless censorship, and that's not good for anyone.

3) For artists with active sex lives, their sexuality is part of who they are and to some extent so, even if subtle or seemingly inconsequential, it might show in their work

4) This is because unless you're just making something primarily to have aesthetic value, it is impossible to censor creative choices in your work because most creative choices of something you work on that's your own idea will reflect how you feel and what your politics are.

5) So what you're really advocating with posts like that is censorship or the sentiment that someone who might not fit the norms of what games have communicated in the past shouldn't have a voice in the games industry, which is pretty regressive and not really a useful perspective in these discussions tbh.

Good post. It was nice to see someone respond to this person with a well thought out response that didn't instantly call them a bigot without knowing what's going on in their head. Shame to see people jump on someone for sharing their (albeit misguided) opinion and not take the time to educate them. It's posts like this that help open people's minds instead of abruptly end a conversation in torches and pitchforks. I hope this person got to read it before being banned.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm glad there's a voice like that in esports. When I saw him for the first time in the Game Awards, it immediately made be feel better and more accepted in the esports scene, which I thought was a little bit straight-male centric. These voices are important, I'm a grown man, but if I felt some effect from it, imagine a young kid struggling with their sexuality.

AlmaMater

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
So it's pretty obvious you're trying to win a "gotcha" by tying a pretty fair and innocent statement about accepting people of "non-standard" sexual orientations into a slippery slope argument about pedophilia and I'm gonna have to ask you to just stop

You are missing the point, it's not fair and innocent if it's general. But think whatever you want.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, maybe I'm just old fashioned but it seems rude, and I don't really like rude players.
It's great that we have a gaming celebrity that is both black, gay and willing to bring attention to himself and the things that make him unique, but I just wish he'd leave the furry stuff at home (or tune it down while he's at tournaments)
Just admit you've never actually been to an FGC event if you think a fursuit disgraces it lol.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You are missing the point, it's not fair and innocent if it's general. But think whatever you want.

I think you look like a fucking dumbass tripping over yourself to slide in with a "well actualllllly" when it's pretty obvious what the first poster was saying.

No seriously, just stop.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is the kind of stuff that having a bad reaction to it only reinforces WHY it is important to say it

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think there is any slippery slope shit worth actually acknowledging here. Like we're having a convo about a gay dude saying he's gay and someone is saying in support who cares who this dude is sexually attracted to and you're alluding to pedophillia?

Like the fuck was that necessary for?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having an issue with this is the reason it needs to be said in the first place.

AlmaMater

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I don't think there is any slippery slope shit worth actually acknowledging here. Like we're having a convo about a gay dude saying he's gay and someone is saying in support who cares who this dude is sexually attracted to and you're alluding to pedophillia?

Like the fuck was that necessary for?

It's just to show that generalized statements should always be taken with a grain of salt, nothing more.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I actually think some people here defending why you'd be uncomfortable with SonicFox's statements are just being devil's advocate and deep down you aren't homophobic. I would just ask you take a look inside yourself and see if it's worth being argumentative just because you like to question things. Just check if it's kind to others, if the arguments you are defending are actually the ones you hold.

I sometimes find myself defending things just because my first reaction to people's strong opinions is to question them, but then deep down I feel the same way as them, just not as blatantly stated. And in those cases it's important to stop, sometimes apologise to those I hurt and show support.

Mar 29, 2018
Do you mean the streamers of today or new ones?
The ones from today will be long retired.

And did you see what sonicfox won in price money already?
There was one tournament that earned him 120k.
And he won dozens already.
It's not about how much money they make. It's about their mental health and how they fit into the culture. It's about how they/all of us deal with discriminatory language and how/if they'll be acting the same way far down the line