• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No, I think I got it right the first time. Anarchic violence encourages strongmen and the rhetoric of the far right, validates their perceptions of enmity and hatred, encourages their own acts of violence and makes the job of law enforcement against the far right harder.
Between this and the Notch thread you're doing a lot of defense running and concern trolling for shitty people.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
A lot more than standing there hemming and hawing and going "while I disagree with you that minorities aren't actually people, I'll defend to the death your right to say it!"

If only there was a middle ground between hemming and hawing and putting on a mask and punching people.

You can win a lot more votes out knocking on doors and getting involved in local campaigns, and those votes will help keep the bad guys out of office. I do that here in London, although for one of the smaller parties.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only there was a middle ground between hemming and hawing and putting on a mask and punching people.

You can win a lot more votes out knocking on doors and getting involved in local campaigns, and those votes will help keep the bad guys out of office. I do that here in London, although for one of the smaller parties.
there's no middle ground to be had when it comes to nazis. fuck'em.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
TERFS and SWERFS are fucking horrible.

So you punch the nazi. Beyond the common assault charge, what have you accomplished?

Debating Nazis in the marketplace of ideas doesn't work, I know liberals are all for free markets but Nazis dont care about your evidence or reasoned debates or the weight of your arguments.

They just wanna make someones life miserable be it blacks, gays, lesbians, latinos, asians etc.

Doesn't stop the Tories getting all the power in parliament because of how crap our voting system is and then I'm sure the LDs will prop them up again for a sniff of a ministerial car.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

Nope... I do believe Nazis and hate spreaders should be punched in the face.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
TERFS and SWERFS are fucking horrible.

Debating Nazis in the marketplace of ideas doesn't work, I know liberals are all for free markets but Nazis dont care about your evidence or reasoned debates or the weight of your arguments.

They just wanna make someones life miserable be it blacks, gays, lesbians, latinos, asians etc.

Debating them is the worst thing you could do actually.
Their ideas are the absolutely worst thing ever and the only thing it's doing is giving them visibility.
On top of that a debate is about who is better at convincing, not who has the better ideas.
Someone who has the best ideas is still going to lose if the debater is bad.
You don't search for truth or even a nebulous notion of good through debate.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Debating them is the worst thing you could do actually.
Their ideas are the absolutely worst thing ever and the only thing it's doing is giving them visibility.
On top of that a debate is about who is better at convincing, not who has the better ideas.
Someone who has the best ideas is still going to lose if the debater is bad.
You don't search for truth or even a nebulous notion of good through debate.

Yep, no platforming is much more powerful against Nazis.

The whole EU debate wasn't a big issue in the UK until the broadcasters gave Nigel Farage so much exposure on the TV.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Darn those militant leftists, daring to fight back against those literally murdering people, quoting Hitler, freely spreading hate speech, and attacking women and minorities.

Such violent people, no wonder they turn people off their side! If they really wanted to sway people who don't view trans people/minorites as people they would peacefully tweet and take the moral high ground while the right gains more power and attacks/kills more people. I mean it worked against Hitler in WW2! Rainbows, sparkles and unicorns, power of friendship!

Such a lust for violence.
Much wow.

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck nazis punch em all

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, such simplistic and naive arguments have been quite common on era in the last couple of month.
Simple on its face, but nascent fascist movements rely on people acquiescing direct violence to state power. The Nazi M.O. has always been to play nice (not respectably, but nice) with current power structures, such as the police and judicial system, since they don't have the manpower to enact their will directly on the public. That's why it's so effective to (strategically) deck a Nazi. It bypasses their most effective defenses.

You may think "but the police and law protect everyone, so bypassing them with direct action just means the biggest bullies win." If you take a look at the past 100 years, those power structures do not protect everyone equally in practice. Police still come down harder on on leftist movements since leftist movements often directly challenge institutions of power - don't forget, these same institutions were lawfully white supremacist mere decades ago. Even today there is a disturbing amount of far right sympathies within law enforcement. Nazis, right now, have more to lose by throwing the first punch than those who oppose them. The radical left doesn't call them "bootlickers" for nothing.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, such simplistic and naive arguments have been quite common on era in the last couple of months.
Nazis will stop when there is nobody but them left on this planet.
So fuck em up, because there is no debate to be held with fucking Nazis, people who wanna kill everyone who doesn't believe in their shit.
It is simple as that

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
To everyone entirely convinced that their own stance on "punch a Nazi / don't punch a Nazi" is the only valid and moral point of view, I'd direct you to this video by Contrapoints (a wonderful channel I discovered thanks to this thread).

You will likely feel like the character whose position you identify with is in the right, but the point is that it's a bit more nuanced than that and perhaps we should stop fighting for the absolute top spot at the morality ladder and realize that just because we may disagree on specifics like the optimal way to fight the Nazis, it doesn't mean we disagree on the basics like Nazis needing to be stopped, and should not be shitting on each other just because we don't reach the same conclusions.
- It's perfectly valid to think punching Nazis is a reasonable response to, well... Nazis.
- It's perfectly valid to think punching Nazis accomplishes little in the grand scheme of things but giving them free victim points and legitimizing violence, which is a tool that will always favor fascists.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
So you punch the nazi. Beyond the common assault charge, what have you accomplished?

So you defend not punching nazis, what have you accomplished?

You've wasted time, and done nothing but annoy people who know better.

Tell me, when is the last time you've debated a nazi, and convinced them not to be one?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Question: are you white?

Second question: are you straight?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Who is giving them victim points? Nazi sympathizers? Fuck them too!

Centrists, liberals, people for who violence is unacceptable no matter the circumstances, people who believe freedom of speech to be sacred no matter the circumnstance, misinformed people who buy his "I'm not a Nazi", plain old gullible people... the list goes on and on. Please watch the video, she's a far better communicator than I could ever hope to be.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I have to say I would never have thought that a furry would be the hero that gaming culture deserves. Thank you for your service, SonicFox. Critical support against the TERFy scourge (and especially Ronda Rousey-- fuck her and fuck Joe Rogan too).

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017

What the fuck is the middle ground between being a nazi and not being a nazi? I'm curious...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The initial tweet seems to have been deleted....not sure if sonicfox deleted by himself or twitter remembered that they think terf IS a slur because of the flood of flagging by every conservative women in britain.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For those that don't get what the big deal about terfs is, here's a video on the subject by Contrapoints.

Yes it's 30 minutes long. Yes it's absolutely worth the watch.

(edit) For those that don't want to watch the whole video, skip ahead to 24:55

I wanted to thank you again for this. Absolutely wonderful video, and it's got me hooked (and binging) her channel.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Reminds me of that "Feeding annoying feminist to crocodiles" RDR2 gameplay video that people were losing their minds over a while back.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Here's the thing about punching nazis: any real nazi seriously deserves to get the crap beat out of them, but at the same time realize the leaders of this can use this to add some self victimization storyline in their quest for power and relevancy. I'd totally recommend giving this a read and in particular note the part about how you can't shut these kinds of discussions down anymore: https://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-world-full-hate-groups-cults/

The initial tweet seems to have been deleted...
Twitter themselves removed it for "violating" the rules.

Deleted member 56358

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
I want to say sorry for the stupid things I said in this thread.

Yesterday under my original username kitsuneyo, I decided to spew a bunch of pompous nonsense on this topic (here), which I know very little about.

I even had the nerve to call other people ignorant, when actually it's me who is ignorant on this. But instead of going away and reading up so I could understand these issues better, I decided to mouth off here.

I have to accept it was my own stupidity that led me to do this and learn from it.

I'm sorry to anyone I offended and I accept my ban. Take care ResetEra

Sep 12, 2018
I want to say sorry for the stupid things I said in this thread.

Yesterday under my original username kitsuneyo, I decided to spew a bunch of pompous nonsense on this topic (here), which I know very little about.

I even had the nerve to call other people ignorant, when actually it's me who is ignorant on this. But instead of going away and reading up so I could understand these issues better, I decided to mouth off here.

I have to accept it was my own stupidity that led me to do this and learn from it.

I'm sorry to anyone I offended and I accept my ban. Take care ResetEra
I'm glad you saw the error of your ways, it's rare for people not to double down and admit they were wrong.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I didn't call that poster a nazi...

What the hell are you talking about, we're talking about punching literal Neo-Nazis

User A: "There's a middle ground between what I'm doing and advocating, and not doing anything".
User B: "What's the middle ground between being a Nazi and not being a Nazi?"

Let's please not play coy about what's going on here. It would also be great if you watched the fucking video.

That's the last thing I'm saying on the matter because a) it's offtopic, b) the video does a far better job at analyzing both positions than I could ever do, and c) it's truly sad to me to see Era devolve into irrational "I'm more anti nazi than you" king-of-the-hill moral ladder petty infighting like this.