• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think I got it right the first time. Anarchic violence encourages strongmen and the rhetoric of the far right, validates their perceptions of enmity and hatred, encourages their own acts of violence and makes the job of law enforcement against the far right harder.
It actually had the opposite effect. It stopped being fun for them once people started fighting back.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
TERFs aren't conservatives but rather a minority within feminist ideology.

Are they, though? I thought ContraPoints pretty well refuted this - at least partly - by showing that while they use talking points filtered through a feminist lens in public, if you actually read TERF forums it's all just pure, visceral, lizard-brain revulsion and hatred.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would a company touch someone's as foul and toxic as Rousey in the first place?
It makes no sense and is a terrible look for WB.

People need to complain the get her worthless arse patched out fast.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think I got it right the first time. Anarchic violence encourages strongmen and the rhetoric of the far right, validates their perceptions of enmity and hatred, encourages their own acts of violence and makes the job of law enforcement against the far right harder.

fyV1zPn_d.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
TERFs aren't conservatives but rather a minority within feminist ideology.

in theory, they are feminists. In practice they don't even blink of aligning themselves with anti feminists and mysoginists and people who goes against basic women rights if it means getting more ammo to fight trans rights
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch...-tips-fight-transgender-rights-separate-t-lgb
https://www.thedailybeast.com/radic...christians-team-up-against-transgender-people
https://www.advocate.com/transgender/2019/2/15/lesbian-terf-spreads-anti-trans-agenda-fox-news

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019

Expecting people to act like good little minorities and roll over so they can take the punishment dished out by those out to hurt them isn't a particularly healthy take. It emphasises that it's the job of the minority, whether that be sexual, racial or generally societal, to be docile, kind and forgiving and I think that's completely backwards and puts the burden of responsibility on those who suffer under far-right and other hostile ideologies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
TERFs are indeed pieces of shit and Sonicfox is awesome for pointing that out, but I think the combination of the caption "this is what I do to TERFs" with the graphic imagery of a Mortal Kombat fatality undermines his point and probably wasn't a good idea.

It has nothing to do with misogyny, it's just a tad too visceral/distracting of a message to be effective in combating TERFs.

While that may be a valid point, the counterpoint would be that the controversy is what made it go viral, resulting in more people now knowing what TERFs are and that Rhonda Rousey is one. Any other way of making the point would simply have been largely ignored.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
While that may be a valid point, the counterpoint would be that the controversy is what made it go viral, resulting in more people now knowing what TERFs are and that Rhonda Rousey is one. Any other way of making the point would simply have been largely ignored.

The mental gymnastics you're trying to do to justify that is hilarious. TERFs are on the wrong side of history and indeed, they can fuck off. But lets not lose all sense of perspective just because we don't like what they say.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Why the fuck would a company touch someone's as foul and toxic as Rousey in the first place?
It makes no sense and is a terrible look for WB.

People need to complain the get her worthless arse patched out fast.
Well being as MK11 had the best launch of the franchise, I really don't think Rousey voicing Sonya was that much of a detriment for them. Even if it was a terrible choice.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
Man I'm from Brazil and don't understand what Terf is. Can you explain me ?

EDIT sorry I'm the OP explains . Sorry for that

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The mental gymnastics you're trying to do to justify that is hilarious. TERFs are on the wrong side of history and indeed, they can fuck off. But lets not lose all sense of perspective just because we don't like what they say.

You'll have to do a bit better than that drive-by. What is exactly your disagreement here? That the way of making his point turned what would be one more comment against Rousey into something that has spawned a 10 page thread here and plenty of discussion elsewhere? Or whether it was worth it?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it possible to respect and support trans people while recognising that their experience and challenges are different from those of people born as women?

For some feminist women, those differences might be important for valid reasons. They might have had negative experiences growing up that a trans person could not have had. And they have the right to identify with whatever grouping they want. They shouldn't have to say "the trans experience is the same as mine and mine is the same as that of trans people". (Of course that's not an excuse to belittle trans people.)

Feminism is a huge topic. A lot of disagreements over it stem from people talking at cross purposes, because they define feminism differently.

Putting a label on some group and saying "fuck them" is simplistic, unkind and doesn't really advance anything.

If there are individuals attacking trans people, then fine, they deserve criticism.

But this fuck TERFs thing just sounds like ignorant mob chanting.
"Fuck TERFs" is vague.

My post isn't that vague but let me try and crystallise it for you. If we're dividing people into gender-related groups (men, women, trans, feminist etc), biological women don't have to put themselves in the same group as trans people if they don't want to. Calling them a TERF and saying fuck them, if they don't want to, is lame. Chanting "fuck TERFs" seems like going down that road.
Trans women also have had negative experiences growing up, cis women aren't exclusive on that.

Hope the permaban makes you revaluate your views on trans women.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"Fuck TERFs" is vague.

My post isn't that vague but let me try and crystallise it for you. If we're dividing people into gender-related groups (men, women, trans, feminist etc), biological women don't have to put themselves in the same group as trans people if they don't want to. Calling them a TERF and saying fuck them, if they don't want to, is lame. Chanting "fuck TERFs" seems like going down that road.

Protip for everyone reading this: saying trans women have other gender than cis women and using "biological women" instead of cis women are big red flags

Any other women you dislike? May as well get it all out.

only bigots. Like the ones who are transphobic (TERFs), hate sex workers (SWERFS), help the neonazis (like kellyn conway) and are racists (like half of the ones working for fox news).

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Even after reading what TERF means, boy so many terms I dont know I feel old.

OT: Yep, agree with SonicFOx.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Any other women you dislike? May as well get it all out.

Interesting fact: there's actually nothing in the definition of TERF or SWERF that requires them to be women (unless you adscribe to the notion that men can't be feminists at all, which I find highly defeatist).

I'll leave you to stan for bigots now, have a nice day.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone that was like me 2 seconds ago:

TERF: "Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist. That group of feminists that claims that trans women aren't really women, as biological determinism is only a fallacy when it used against them, not when they use it against others."

Thanks for this!

Also, I knew those first two shitty things about Ronda but didn't know she was a Saudi apologist or a domestic abuser. She can SO fuck off even more now.

Unfortunately she won't be going away anytime soon largely thanks to the WWE and their weird desire to leech credibility(?) from the UFC. Seriously, WWE picked her up during the final gasps of her celebrity IMO and they've unfortunately elevated her back up quite a bit. Not to get too deep into wrestling talk but now her merch sales would have to absolutely crater for WWE to ever even consider getting rid of her. That's a big part of what made Becky winning Wrestlemania such a shock because WWE has no problem with ignoring their fans to put forth the wrestler they want to have on top.

Last edited:

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea what TERFS was but having looked into it, cant really disagree with what he says. Fuck'em.

/shrug

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
At this rate I feel like he should win another year of the popular influencer of the year!
bigots should just crawl back to their holes with dirty money.

Are you saying that being a radical feminist is exclusive to women?
There is an argument about how a man can only be an ally and not a feminist or whatever but people stanning for TERFs are not really consistent enough to make the argument without tripping over their own bigotry.

Oct 25, 2017

Richard Spencer only went down after he got clocked. I've seen no evidence to suggest that punching Nazis makes Nazis sympathetic.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
TERFs have always sucked terribly, but I feel like recently they've added layers to their maliciousness and ignorance. TERF as a slur, hiding their transphobia behind "gender critical" ideology, the escalating connections between them and conservatives/the alt-right, the idea that being anti-TERF is actually being misogynistic. It's been weird watching the evolution (seems that way from where I stand, anyway) of TERF rhetoric and tactics.

Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that at least 2/3 (did I overlook anyone?) of the people who were banned in this thread are from the UK. The UK certainly doesn't have a special claim on transphobia, but this particular manifestation of it, reactionary and couched in pseudo-feminist language and unfortunately all too influential even in the mainstream, seems very much to be a uniquely UK phenomenon.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I just realised that I must be really ignorrant. I'm 23 and I think that I heard about this term before, but never really cared about what it actually means. Glad to learn something new today.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
At this rate I feel like he should win another year of the popular influencer of the year!
bigots should just crawl back to their holes with dirty money.

There is an argument about how a man can only be an ally and not a feminist or whatever but people stanning for TERFs are not really consistent enough to make the argument without tripping over their own bigotry.
Feminism is for everyone, regardless of gender/sex/identity. The argument that it's only for women falls apart pretty quick.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Spoken like a true cowardly liberal who cares more about "muh humanity" and "can't be like them" while fascism thrives and is making a comeback. People who do this shit are the reason it has gone unchecked for a while.

Whether they are conservatives/right wingers or flat out Nazis, the rhetoric they push is violence and with it they invite violence upon themselves.

Also what the fuck is law enforcement gonna do?They're a group that serves wealthy people and people in power not to mention it is a group mostly infiltrated by the KKK and full of mentally ill people who beat their family members and kill animals. Daily reminder that 40% of cops beat their families and that cops kill about 25 dogs a day. These are both widely known statistics that you can look up.

On the other spectrum you have US based anti terrorist units being more focused on undermining leftist organizations then actual far right terrorism.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily follow the eSports scene, but after seeing SonicFox give his speech at The Game Awards, I knew he was one of the good ones. Godspeed to him, may he never give up the good fight

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoken like a true cowardly liberal who cares more about "muh humanity" and "can't be like them" while fascism thrives and is making a comeback. People who do this shit are the reason it has gone unchecked for a while.

Whether they are conservatives/right wingers or flat out Nazis, the rhetoric they push is violence and with it they invite violence upon themselves.

Also what the fuck is law enforcement gonna do?They're a group that serves wealthy people and people in power not to mention it is a group mostly infiltrated by the KKK and full of mentally ill people who beat their family members and kill animals. Daily reminder that 40% of cops beat their families and that cops kill about 25 dogs a day. These are both widely known statistics that you can look up.

On the other spectrum you have US based anti terrorist units being more focused on undermining leftist organizations then actual far right terrorism.

👍👍👍 Great post 👍👍👍