• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The term TERF has been around for over a decade.
and probably 70% of the people who have clicked on this thread learned what it is here.

google is literally at your fingertips
Google.
Y'all have no excuse.
You don't google terms you've never heard uttered in life before. You have to be made aware of something before you can look to inform yourself further.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
you should probably include why he's saying that. sonya blade, the character being chopped in the neck, is voiced by ronda rousey who is one as noted by sonicfox

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
You can read the Twitter thread linked in the OP.

Forgive me, but I'm still at a loss and I feel like I've read through most of Fox's and Lewis' comments even if they weren't directed towards each other. Is it effectively the same as "all lives matter" that is frustrating folks?

I can see how I'm off-base if this is common terf rhetoric that I'm not familiar with, but when I first read Lewis' comment its written as "violence against women is wrong" which seems a pretty uniform stance for everyone?

This makes much more sense to me now. I appreciate you helping me see this.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how I'm off-base if this is common terf rhetoric that I'm not familiar with, but when I first read Lewis' comment its written as "violence against women is wrong" which seems a pretty uniform stance for everyone?
She's saying terf is a slur used by misogynists to hate women and using the Sonicfox vid as an example. It's textbook terf shit.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God damn it fucking sucks that Ronda Rousey is in this game and Sonya seems pretty good so we're gonna be seeing/hearing her a lot.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me, but I'm still at a loss and I feel like I've read through most of Fox's and Lewis' comments even if they weren't directed towards each other. Is it effectively the same as "all lives matter" that is frustrating folks?

This makes much more sense to me now. I appreciate you helping me see this.

it's just trying to weasel out of any culpability for being against trans women by making it seem like he's condoning violence against women

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I'd say him expressing this via MK's brand of violence along with him playing a male character is in bad taste consider the epidemic of violence against women in the real world.

On the other hand, fuck TERFs.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck transphobia and especially so called feminists who somehow can't work out what feminism actually is.

Trans women are women, end. To oppose people who can't work that out isn't misogyny, it's fighting hate itself.

I kinda wish the term was different for a couple of reasons however.

1: I know a few rad fems who are utterly opposed to transphobia and get lumped into this by people who only read the end bit.

2: It implies that only radicals are transphobic. This alas goes through the mainstream too.

The term creates a battleground. Maybe TERFS will be less offended if we just call them bigoted transphobes. More fitting.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Keep fighting the good fight. <3

For those that don't get what the big deal about terfs is, here's a video on the subject by Contrapoints.

Yes it's 30 minutes long. Yes it's absolutely worth the watch.

(edit) For those that don't want to watch the whole video, skip ahead to 24:55

Thank you for this, I'll watch later. Can't ever know enough about transgenderism, society does such a piss poor job of giving it enough visibility.

Vatrak

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns of transphobia with false equivalencies. Account in junior phase.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the Rousey casting choice was made even more shitty/baffling when I found out the character was previously voiced by Tricia Helfer

who made this choice

who would make this choice

PortableSam

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobia. Account in junior phase.
The ignorance in this thread is horrific. This is a big issue in the UK at the moment due to proposed reforms of the Gender Recognition Act which proposes to allow full recognition of a transwoman as a woman merely on a declaration by the individual and without any transition steps being taken - this is not necessarily a problem provided proper safeguarding is considered at least. Many women who dare to suggest that any man who declares himself a women should not immediately be able to compete in women's sports, use women's facilities, women's prisons, be included in women's crime statistics or use rape shelters are being branded TERFs and subject to vile abuse - it is totally unacceptable. Lesbians who say they would not have sex with a transwomen who has a penis are even being branded as transphobic - its their bodies they can do what they want.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
The ignorance in this thread is horrific. This is a big issue in the UK at the moment due to proposed reforms of the Gender Recognition Act which proposes to allow full recognition of a transwoman as a woman merely on a declaration by the individual and without any transition steps being taken - this is not necessarily a problem provided proper safeguarding is considered at least. Many women who dare to suggest that any man who declares himself a women should not immediately be able to compete in women's sports, use women's facilities, women's prisons, be included in women's crime statistics or use rape shelters are being branded TERFs and subject to vile abuse - it is totally unacceptable. Lesbians who say they would not have sex with a transwomen who has a penis are even being branded as transphobic - its their bodies they can do what they want.
Found one!

What does this mean?
Prostitutes shouldn't be protected by feminism because they sell their bodies yadda yadda.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm surprised ERA seems to stand behind this guy when he says shit like shit:
https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status/1122447150753955840
So did people change their mind on the fact that video game violence against women promote real life violence and misoginistic behavior irl or?
You got it wrong. "ERA" has nothing against violent games with female characters as villains or heroes, or women fighting against or among men. Seeing as you are new here, I understand you still might be confused.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised ERA seems to stand behind this guy when he says shit like shit:
https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status/1122447150753955840
So did people change their mind on the fact that video game violence against women promote real life violence and misoginistic behavior irl or?

Normally I would agree but we're talking about Mortal Kombat, a game where everyone and everything die in gruesome ways. He's not exactly wrong.

Also fuck terfs.

What does this mean?

It stands for feminists who "support women" unless they're sex workers.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Jesus. Stuff like this makes me realise how old I am. None of this makes any sense to me as I'm not on social media. I'm 'only' 37. I feel for anyone over fifty as this is assault of acronyms must be totally over their heads!

I'm 41 (and Spanish) and I've known about TERFs for years. I feel for you when you're over fifty if you're letting your age excuse your ignorance at 37.