• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to walk several blocks just to play Sonic on a Genesis Kiosk at my local video rental store, and then got a Genesis for Xmas that same year, I say more power to him.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm sure that didn't help, but I think Sonic looked more appealing to kids and families in the post-redesign trailers than Detective Pikachu ever did.
The fish out of water storyline helps it a lot I think. I don't think Detective Pikachu's plot is impenetrable to any newbies, but it does seem to assume its audience has at least a basic knowledge of the Pokemon universe.

Sonic? He's a blue hedgehog who runs fast, and now he's on Earth. That's all you need to know.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I guess all those animators weren't overworked, underpaid and then fired for nothing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's odd is I have not seen any new Sonic merch to go along with this. Where is the new Sonic movie plush?

get a regular sonic plushy, wash it on a spin cycle for a whole day, stick it under the seat cushion of a skid row dumpster couch for three months in August, retrieve it and enjoy your extremely limited edition "pre-movie fan reaction revamp Sonic"

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What's odd is I have not seen any new Sonic merch to go along with this. Where is the new Sonic movie plush?

The redesign screwed with this movie's merch hard. There's a few toys and plushes out there but they generally don't look great, this is the only half-decent one that probably wasn't too difficult to salvage considering the design is largely printed on.

41C46fORqeL._AC_SY400_.jpg

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017

Considering how everything around this movie I understand the difficulty in not only making merch in time but also the lack of belief it would do well.

It's why I'm fascinated if stuff will now be quickly made and if Sega will try to announce something.

I wonder if they get behind young Sonic. Japan had dedicated posters and a trailer for him.

o5cmu8fz72741.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you had told me from three months ago that the last Star Wars movie would be a massive disappointment but that we'd get a great Sonic the Hedgehog movie, I'd have called you crazy.
tenor.gif

Here we are.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I walked by a movie theater on Friday and there were like 6 or 7 kids running around pretending to be Sonic. Kids are stoked!

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Rad. Ooc does your 4 year old play any games? Thinking it's time to get my kiddo gently into the hobby

She doesn't 'play' games, so much as she presses the buttons to see what happens. Shes got her favourites in Smash (which is where she knows Sonic from) but she's oddly great at the Untitled Goose Game, moving the character in a 3D space, picking stuff up and honking.

One more anecdote; my nephews on my wife side are dragging my mother in law to see Sonic this week. I dont even think they're a fan of the games, they've just seen the adverts and think it's for them. As much as fans and gamers like the film, kids are liking it just as much, even if they dont know what a Sonic is.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Video Game Movie
Comic book movie

Why isn't Book Movies a genre yet? We seem to be at that point in hte idiocracy, no?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Sucks that the studio who did the reanimation of Sonic has since closed.

But as an old school Sega fanboy, 12 year old me is glad to stick it to "Ninty".

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
isn't pokemon the highest grossing film ever though? that's what era told me it was going to be.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
get a regular sonic plushy, wash it on a spin cycle for a whole day, stick it under the seat cushion of a skid row dumpster couch for three months in August, retrieve it and enjoy your extremely limited edition "pre-movie fan reaction revamp Sonic"

Inaccurate. You forgot the part where you steal your grandma's dentures (from her coffin) and pop them in the plush.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Let's not get hyperbolic with that "great" now
I'll take this movie being rated fresh by Rotten Tomatoes as a "victory" for the brand, but I also cant call the film legitimately great. I enjoyed it and am really pulling for a sequel that is more faithful to the subject matter and/or just more whimsical in general, but at the end of the day it really wasn't anything special.

That being said, the movie not being utter trash was a huge surprise and I dont blame us fans calling it great, haha.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I really wonder if the release date helped out Sonic a ton and hindered Pikachu.

Yes, and it was smart to open on a holiday weekend (even though that doesn't count when comparing the 3 day grosses). Also, Sonic benefited from Pikachu being the first certified fresh live action video game adaptation and now people actually trust that they will be good, but Pikachu followed up a lot of crap movies. And I think they should have started with a mainline Pokémon film instead of a spinoff like Detective Pikachu.