• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your Rotten Tomatoes score prediction?

• >90%

Votes: 68 7.8%
  • 75-90%

Votes: 97 11.1%
  • 60-75%

Votes: 234 26.8%
  • 45-60%

Votes: 293 33.6%
  • 30-45%

Votes: 113 12.9%
  • 15-30%

Votes: 50 5.7%
  • 0-15%

Votes: 18 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'm not expecting anything higher than 65%. Everything about this screams by-the-books family movie.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I literally don't know who he is, I kinda' just went with the reviews with the top views, so I apologize if there's some history here and will delete the video.
One of the creators of Screen Junkies and overall garbage person

On October 6, 2017, Defy Media suspended Signore after some female fans and co-workers made public his supposed sexual assault and sexual harassment toward them. Several women noted their complaints to Defy Media's HR department and management suppressed or ignored their complaints for several months until they went public. On October 8, Screen Junkies announced on their Twitter page that Signore's employment was terminated effective immediately as "[t]here is no justification for this egregious and intolerable behavior."

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Not as weak as leaving me hanging for three weeks until reviews started popping up. You knew exactly what you were doing. lol
No I literally forgot but whatever makes you feel good for backing out of an avatar bet.

I immediately said I was in. The only thing I waited on until the last moment was making the avatar, which is not even a particularly embarrassing one.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
pyro4go79dl01.gif

Six fours-ah

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For a film that gained notoriety well before its release for how wildly Sonic's original animation diverged from his well-established look, Sonic the Hedgehog does show a clear understanding of the source material and its essential nature. Sonic, fundamentally, is a goofy character with a specific power who just wants friends, and as exasperating as the film can be in its overbearingly clumsy humor, it at least never tries to make the character more complicated than he really is. But the lack of any greater depth to the core of the material limits the possibilities of making any of this meaningful to anyone.

Video games long ago began to reveal their cinematic aspirations, but the Sonic the Hedgehog series to this day continues to channel the old-school cool of platformers that prize gameplay—and testing the player's hand-eye coordination—over matters of story. There's plenty of potential for movies and games to inform one another, but perhaps the only aspect of video game culture that Sonic the Hedgehog brings to cinema is the trend of allowing preemptive fan outrage to necessitate overhauls from already overworked animators.

AmusedSlimyAfricanclawedfrog-size_restricted.gif

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'll never get the people who are like "They should never have listened to the fans! Okay, the new design looks way better, BUT STILL"

It's a friggin' Sonic the Hedgehog movie, it is exactly the type of movie where listening to fan feedback is a good idea. They weren't making some grand artistic statement by making him look like dogshit in the original cut, they thought that's what would appeal to the most people and it clearly didn't.

Given how quickly the director got in front of it when the blowback happened, I'm also inclined to believe the original design was the brainchild of some Paramount exec and everyone working on the film knew it sucked. It's not like it was just fans crying over green eyes and blue arms either, the original creators hopped on social media like "yo guys what the hell."

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking 72%

This seems like a film viewers who grew up with sonic will like a lot more than film critics.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
No I literally forgot but whatever makes you feel good for backing out of an avatar bet.

I immediately said I was in. The only thing I waited on until the last moment was making the avatar, which is not even a particularly embarrassing one.

lol Bruh, I never even agreed to the bet. I said "I'll need to see your choice for me before I agree to this avatar bet." And then it took you three weeks to respond after I forgot all about it and right as reviews and impressions are rolling in that don't exactly portend an overall favorable critical reception.

But this is just super silly. Folks are here to discuss reviews and make final score predictions. If you want to continue this conversation feel free to PM me.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
IMDB User reviews are going up:

www.imdb.com

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) - IMDb

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) on IMDb: Movies, TV, Celebs, and more...

They're not critics, but I think they're more important as to whether this movie could be a financial success.

After all the controversy with the movie a while back, I'm surprised they got it made and it not being a total mess. Because it isn't!

The visuals are pretty good. Sonic for the most part blends in pretty well. The effects are good. We get a couple "Quicksiver"-type scenes. While not quite on par with the actual Quicksilver-scene, they were good. I love that type of effect. Freeze frame, bullet time, call it what you will. LOVE!

Sonic is pretty charming, and they actually spend a whole lot of time on Sonic and his "relationship" with James Marsdens character. I'd say a little too much. I'd rather have another speed-scene, or two. But I get it, they try to give the movie heart. And they sort of succeed.

I did feel it got a little kid friendly at times. All the heart felt a little cheesy. I do think kids will like this movie tho! If they know who Sonic is.

Jim Carrey is very Jim Carrey as Robotnik. As expected, I guess. He's alright. I hope he does more roles like this again, it suits him. Although it bothered me a little that Robotnik is supposed to have an insanely high IQ, but he doesn't always seem to. But I guess to write a character with sky high IQ, you'd have to have that yourself, right?

But yeah, a couple chuckles, pretty decent chemistry between charaters, some nice action. You could do a whole lot worse. 6/10

This movie just doesn't let you feel bored, it's full of fun, energy (as well as Sonic himself!), jokes, pop-culture references and loveable characters. The storyline is pretty simple, but still it doesn't mean it's bad, the main advantage of this movie is its fun and a huge amount of energy, it has great action scenes and I just love that kind of relationship between the main characters. It's so easy to enjoy all of this, and I think Sonic as one of the most iconic videogame characters has a great presentation in his debut movie. Gotta go fast to watch this movie one more time, highly recommend you for watching, even if you are not a Sonic fan! 10/10

These are the two I found interesting.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
normally, embargo Is around Wednesday 10 AM. The movie comes out tonight in some areas, why hid it?
Nonetheless, I still going to see it this weekend.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I'm really starting to think that this "embargo" is a farce.

Some more reviews just went live:

www.usatoday.com

Review: Not-so-super 'Sonic the Hedgehog' gets the best of Jim Carrey

The speedy title critter has spirit and Jim Carrey rolls out vintage goofiness as Dr. Robotnik in the family-friendly adventure 'Sonic the Hedgehog."

observer.com

‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Is a Miraculous Success, All Things Considered

The movie longs to be just another unthreatening, speedy new object, and… it works.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
lol Bruh, I never even agreed to the bet. I said "I'll need to see your choice for me before I agree to this avatar bet." And then it took you three weeks to respond after I forgot all about it and right as reviews and impressions are rolling in that don't exactly portend an overall favorable critical reception.

But this is just super silly. Folks are here to discuss reviews and make final score predictions. If you want to continue this conversation feel free to PM me.
Don't do avatar bets in the future