• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Gonna guess that they're going down the TMNT Out of the Shadows/Godzilla King of the Monsters route and triple down on more fan service and references to the source material (i.e Tails, Jim Carry looking more like game Eggman, Knuckles, Chaos Emeralds, Super Sonic, etc)

Lets hope it turns out better than those movies though!

King of the Monsters was great though. It finally felt like someone from the west got why people like Godzilla.

Sadly its a not a massive big IP and has limited appeal and WB threw waaaay too much money towards it. Hope they dont throw too much on the sequel here, dont want a new thing people like to die over too much ambition/pressure.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Wonder if they will try to add in Amy in this one or if it's gonna strictly Tails BBF development.

Oct 25, 2017
King of the Monsters was great though. It finally felt like someone from the west got why people like Godzilla.

Sadly its a not a massive big IP and has limited appeal and WB threw waaaay too much money towards it. Hope they dont throw too much on the sequel here, dont want a new thing people like to die over too much ambition/pressure.
Yea they probably should just keep it sonic tails and maybe knuckles as far as sonic characters go for now.

Oct 28, 2017
I have mania and love it! But, from what I understand it's viewed as a side-project by SEGA and isn't indicative of the direction they're taking the series.
Neither is Forces. Trust me after Forces there is no way in hell we'll be getting another Sonic game like it anytime soon. It's gonna be a catalyst for a major change for the franchise the way Sonic 06 was.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved—I've never been a fan of the way Sonic's portrayed in any media where he speaks until this movie (less 'tude here and more earnestness), and they got rid of the creepy mono-eye and fleshy arms. Tyson Hesse's redesign guidance was very welcome

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take but I think Ben Schwarz is a better Sonic than RCS and I wouldn't mind if he took over in the games.

Tails will obviously be in Sonic 2, and Knuckles is very likely; I just wonder if they'd try to fit in Amy and/or Metal too.

The way I see it there's two routes they can go about it. This depends on how much they decide to capitalize on the fact that the Echidna tribe was very likely a serendipitous Tyson Hesse change, but Sonic's "power" in the movie is very clearly Chaos power, and in Sonic Adventure it's the pursuit of that power which caused the Echidnas go extinct. Since the Sonic movie has a notable time skip between Sonic as a kid and Sonic as a teen, I'm thinking it's possible that the Echidnas could've gone extinct in that time frame after obtaining the Chaos Emeralds, with Knuckles being the last of his kind. The second movie could verily focus on him if they want to take advantage of that thread, there'd even be an easier way for Robotnik to trick Knuckles considering he could play up the whole "your tribe basically died because of Sonic" sob story.

That said, the one big plot thread the movie did leave us off with outside of just Tails was that Eggman preserved Sonic's Chaos powered quill, and if that's not an obvious teaser at Metal Sonic then I don't know what is. Sure, he uses that quill to power up his machines but it's pretty obvious he's going to have to come back with heavier artillery. The experimenting with that Quill could also be what leads him to start using animals to build his robot army, and just like Tails, in the actual video games Metal Sonic was a concept that began with the second entry; both the actual Sonic 2 we got and the game that was originally going to be Sonic 2 (Sonic CD), so it'd be apt for him to make an appearance.

So yeah, I'm thinking either it'll be Robotnik and Knuckles, or it'll be Robotnik and Metal Sonic. Leaning the latter for the time being, since the heavy lore stuff might be something they start exploring in the third entry.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
First movie was such a pleasant surprise, but a big part of its quality was the film had heart. It needs to retain that when it adds all the extra stuff you typically get in sequels.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I really don't get the love this movie gets. I know the bar for video game movies is low. But this just feel like someone wrote a generic movie about the government trying to capture an alien and some random dude trying to protect the alien and then they decided to replace the alien with Sonic and add a couple of super basic references to Sonic in it.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the first movie, far more than I expected as well. Preferred it to Detective Pikachu.

Looking forward to more Carrey.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is Sonic and Tails team up, Knuckles is a psuedo antagonist because Eggman tricked him, and then Sonic, Knuckles and Tails team up in the end to fight Eggman and Metal Sonic.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Hot take but I think Ben Schwarz is a better Sonic than RCS and I wouldn't mind if he took over in the games.
I feel the same way. My one problem with his voice is that it's hard to mentally separate it from the other two blue cartoon characters he currently plays (Dewey Duck and Leonardo), but I do still prefer his performance to Roger, yeah.

The way I see it there's two routes they can go about it. This depends on how much they decide to capitalize on the fact that the Echidna tribe was very likely a serendipitous Tyson Hesse change, but Sonic's "power" in the movie is very clearly Chaos power, and in Sonic Adventure it's the pursuit of that power which caused the Echidnas go extinct. Since the Sonic movie has a notable time skip between Sonic as a kid and Sonic as a teen, I'm thinking it's possible that the Echidnas could've gone extinct in that time frame after obtaining the Chaos Emeralds, with Knuckles being the last of his kind. The second movie could verily focus on him if they want to take advantage of that thread, there'd even be an easier way for Robotnik to trick Knuckles considering he could play up the whole "your tribe basically died because of Sonic" sob story.

That said, the one big plot thread the movie did leave us off with outside of just Tails was that Eggman preserved Sonic's Chaos powered quill, and if that's not an obvious teaser at Metal Sonic then I don't know what is. Sure, he uses that quill to power up his machines but it's pretty obvious he's going to have to come back with heavier artillery. The experimenting with that Quill could also be what leads him to start using animals to build his robot army, and just like Tails, in the actual video games Metal Sonic was a concept that began with the second entry; both the actual Sonic 2 we got and the game that was originally going to be Sonic 2 (Sonic CD), so it'd be apt for him to make an appearance.

So yeah, I'm thinking either it'll be Robotnik and Knuckles, or it'll be Robotnik and Metal Sonic. Leaning the latter for the time being, since the heavy lore stuff might be something they start exploring in the third entry.
The thing i'm worried about is them biting off more than they can chew for this sequel. The Chaos Emerald / Echidna Tribe plot (including backstory about the tribe's destruction, Robotnik manipulating Knuckles, some sort of Chaos Emerald hunt and the eventual Super Sonic finale) and Robotnik building up his robot army (the creation of Badniks and the birth of Metal) are both reasonable routes for a sequel, but combined with the obvious buddy comedy focus with Sonic and Tails, and whatever the humans will be up to, it'll be a really difficult balancing act.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the love this movie gets. I know the bar for video game movies is low. But this just feel like someone wrote a generic movie about the government trying to capture an alien and some random dude trying to protect the alien and then they decided to replace the alien with Sonic and add a couple of super basic references to Sonic in it.
Sonic have almost nothing else, nothing.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017

And you know what? It worked out fine with a Sonic skin, personally.

Really liked the movie, I can see them toning down the screen time of generic human characters (hopefully, even though I didn't mind Cyclops).

Anyway, yay!

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Make it based on All Stars Racing Transformed mixed with Fast and The Furious.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You correctly identified the narrative beats of the movie.

You mistakingly thought that explained why that made it unlovable.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

With the exception of the Sonic Boom cartoon (where the writers seemed to have RCS's portrayal in mind when writing Sonic's dialogue), RCS is probably my least favorite voice of Sonic across all media. I've never felt that his "slacker dude" voice fit the character.

Despite how awful the voice acting in the Sonic OVA is, I think I even prefer that just because of how weird and unique it is.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Rented it on YouTube as I had Google rewards money lying around and daughter wanted to see it. Twice. In 2 days.

I didn't hate it* She really liked it.
Oh and the little one (2yrs old) loved it. He's always running around the house (preferably naked) yelling "me runs like Sonic!" now.

I uh.. think I might have missed the post credits scene? Movie basically had 2 post credits scenes before the credits (Tails and Jim Carrey going full Robotnik) and I thought it couldn't have more.
I'll go look for it.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It also had Jim Carrey as Robotnik.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With the exception of the Sonic Boom cartoon (where the writers seemed to have RCS's portrayal in mind when writing Sonic's dialogue), RCS is probably my least favorite voice of Sonic across all media. I've never felt that his "slacker dude" voice fit with the character.

Despite how awful the voice acting in the Sonic OVA is, I think I even prefer that just because of how weird and unique it is.
I feel like the problem is more the writing. Roger did great in OK K.O.'s Sonic episode &, as you said, Sonic Boom.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Knew that was coming. Considering how successful it was even before its theater run was cut short, they'd be foolish not to try and strike while the iron is still hot.

May 5, 2018
We know Tails will be in the sequel. But calling it. The sequel will have Knuckles chase Sonic down for stealing the Master Emerald, but Metal Sonic was the actual culprit so late in the movie Sonic, Tails and Knuckles will team up. Uh and Amy might be in this movie.

Oct 27, 2017
Just give me more Jim Carrey he dead ass carried the movie
giphy.gif

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I see people suggesting a post credits tease of Shadow, but if they intend to keep these movies going as long as they can and want to at least loosely adapt the games that are loved then I think it'd be best to save Shadow for a 4th movie. Movie 3 being loosely based on Adventure 1 would be a natural follow up to a Movie 2 featuring Knuckles, which itself is a natural follow up to the opening of Movie 1. Could be a conclusion to a 3 movie arc. Maybe the reason the Echidnas wanted to kill/capture baby Sonic was to stop Chaos from being awakened because Sonic's power has a link to Chaos or something like that.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
in terms of pandemic theater with my children, sonic is citizen kane compared to scoob and trolls world tour.

i welcome this news

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I would actually like the sequel to keep things pretty down to earth with the characters. Not focus on Amy just yet, but instead expand the role of Knuckles and his tribe. Maybe have Tikal there with Knuckles, and see how things change for them. Perhaps she could be Knuckles sister and he is a rebellious prince against the warring ways of his tribe, since we know Pachamac was in the first movie.

ab207c22d1c030f93164baf1192b9d06c6e73957.png

I could see a big post-credits tease being Chaos for a Sonic Adventure adaptation.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Great news, totally deserves it. Shocked how good the movie was, especially considering how close to an absolute car crash it looked like to begin with. Can't wait to see what Tails gets up to and Eggman is obviously going to have something up his sleeve. Hopefully they lean into the Sonic stuff a bit more now they know sticking with the source works (Thanks Tyson Hesse).

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Unless there's another planned controversy like the bad design of sonic in the first movie, then it won't do nearly as well.
As a movie, the first one wasn't good at all

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Finally, 2020 gets some good news.

Sonic was a welcome surprisingly good movie - which probably would've done better had COVID19 not ended its box-office run. More surprising to me were the kids who came probably just to watch a kids movie but left saying they love Sonic.

Its not a mistake that (The now shuttered) Sega Heroes saw a huge bump in players after the Sonic movie release. We want more Sonic!