• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Via Variety
Paramount Pictures and Sega Sammy confirmed on Thursday that they have commenced development on a sequel to the family comedy. The sequel would reteam the filmmakers, with Jeff Fowler directing, and Pat Casey and Josh Miller writing the script.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, the movie was pretty fantastic and had a legit exciting after credits scene.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how this went from a joke of a movie to something where I'm actually interested in the sequel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this was obviously happening and I'm legit super happy that it is. I legit love it more than Detective Pikachu honestly. It was just consistently fun to watch. DP not as much, I thought Tim was... dull, at least in the early part. Found it surprisingly hard to rewatch because of it.

The deliberately disgusting Lickitung scene really didn't help.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna guess that they're going down the TMNT Out of the Shadows/Godzilla King of the Monsters route and triple down on more fan service and references to the source material (i.e Tails, Jim Carry looking more like game Eggman, Knuckles, Chaos Emeralds, Super Sonic, etc)

Lets hope it turns out better than those movies though!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It was clear if you watched the movie and it ended up being a success so this was almost assuredly coming. Good to know! Looking forward to it, even more than a Detective Pikachu sequel to be fair.

Oct 28, 2017
Hope the sequel takes place away from Earth for the moat part. I expect we'll see more of the Echidnas that were hunting Sonic at the start of the first movie.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The movie was great, damn near better than Detective Pikachu (which really set the bar). The ending setup a sequel well enough, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Everyone who saw it in theaters told me they had a similar audience reaction with that mid-credits stinger, so it would've been stupid not to.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
We watched it with the kids last week and I was surprised that it was actually decent. Jim Carrey was great as Robotnik.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Sonic-avatar-bet.jpg

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Gonna guess that they're going down the TMNT Out of the Shadows/Godzilla King of the Monsters route and triple down on more fan service and references to the source material (i.e Tails, Jim Carry looking more like game Eggman, Knuckles, Chaos Emeralds, etc)

Lets hope it turns out better than those movies though!

I hope that with this one, more time is spent in an alternate world. I would love to see more scenes showing off worlds reminiscent of levels from the game.

Also, I hope you are right about the inclusions, I'd expect most of that based on the ending. I just hope Jim Carey comes back for the sequel, it was amazing he agreed to do the first one.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Never believed the "no plans for a sequel" claims for a second.

Gonna guess that they're going down the TMNT Out of the Shadows/Godzilla King of the Monsters route and triple down on more fan service and references to the source material (i.e Tails, Jim Carry looking more like game Eggman, Knuckles, Chaos Emeralds, Super Sonic, etc)

Oh you know it. I'm calling it now: they'll pull every element they can from the classic games for this sequel and Shadow gets teased as a post-credits stinger for Sonic 3.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Bummed it's the same creative team. Couldn't stomach the movie--terrible script, mostly. Direction wasn't great either.

Also: it isn't "reportedly" in development. It's been confirmed by Paramount and Sega.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Tails will have the same VA and not be replaced by some random celebrity like Justin Timberlake.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Tails will obviously be in Sonic 2, and Knuckles is very likely; I just wonder if they'd try to fit in Amy and/or Metal too.

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed like a given after the success, but I'm glad it's official now.

Can they rehire the animators who fixed Sonic's design?

Fairly sure it was the same studio(s?) from the start. They brought Tyson Hesse in to give design guidelines for the reworked segments, I don't think he was directly involved any further than that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It seemed like a given after the success, but I'm glad it's official now.

Fairly sure it was the same studio(s?) from the start. They brought Tyson Hesse in to give design guidelines for the reworked segments, I don't think he was directly involved any further than that.
I'd imagine that they'll just have Tyson Hesse on-board from the start.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope Tails will have the same VA and not be replaced by some random celebrity like Justin Timberlake.
Agreed. While I did like Ben Schwartz's performance, it still felt weird not hearing Roger Craig Smith's voice whenever Sonic spoke (he's been voicing Sonic for a decade at this point). It was a pleasant surprise that they brought back Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Tails.