• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I fucking LOVE the Mario movie because its so, so bad it actually loops right back up to being absolutely amazing.

This looks to be on exactly the same level of train wreckage. Can't wait.

And by the way I say this without a hint of irony. I'm actually looking forward to this shit. Failing this spectacularly, on such an unbelievable scale, it really is a sight to behold. Bewilderment and amusement in equal measure await.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Just stop complaining if you don't know who is the real inspiration for this Sonic
59450936_2344147308939389_6346587179463999488_n.png

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This looks like any other generic licensed movie
Sonic's model looks awful. I get what they were going for, that they wanted to make him look athletic cause he's supposed to be a runner but he just looks like shit

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This looks AWFUL. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? God, enough with these crappy looking video game movies. Monster Hunter is bound to look bad too. Ugh, god.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose if you're promoting this Sonic, a man in a suit will look as close as can be in real life.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I will watch it for Jim Carey, when he's allowed to get goofy with a role it's always fun. Sonic sounds fine and honestly the worst part of his look is how much he sticks out like a bad photoshop job. I thought he was supposed to be a human turned into hedgehog but apparently he's an alien now...

Oct 31, 2017
Why are people in here acting like this movie brutally murdered their friends and family?

For real though, it seems like a pretty generic movie but I'm still gonna watch it bc Jim Carrey as Eggman

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The truth is Sonic is fundamentally a rigid and inflexible design. Its very very weird.

I'd argue he has never looked good outside of 2D sprites.

The stretching scene is quite uncanny and creepy. Then again the dude in the trailer does freak when he sees Sonic.

Maybe its intentional?

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
The Sonic design is bad and I can't believe they decided to go with this design. It's so bad and does not look child-friendly to me. After seeing detective Pikachu, the can do better with the sonic design. hopefully, the rest of the movie holds up, great to see Jim Carrey in it though

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Amazing how a fan spent a little time in Photoshop and created a superior looking Sonic model to the one we got.

Although it still wouldn't matter given how abysmal the dialogue is in the trailer.
People love to do this, but a Photoshop paint over is far far different than getting a fully fleshed out rigged character that works for multiple shots, lighting conditions and animation poses. I guarantee there were countless iterations of this Sonic character that resembled more of the classic look, but throughout a production concessions get made and things alter based on certain needs.

While the fan-redesign Sonic looks better in this pose in that moment, perhaps for the story they are trying to tell it does not work at all.

For example, perhaps they had the skinnier taller legs, but in some shots and motions it did not hold up. Or they tried larger angstier eyes but it didn't allow for emotions in the scenes they set up or lessens the impact when he goes into "angst mode". Or the hands were bigger at one point, but they realized they had to scale them back because they kept getting in the way of the Sonic sex scene. Or through marketing they found that children appeal to different shapes and forms so they skewed it more that way.

Not to say this movie wont be garbage, but to say what Sonic "should look like" without being a part of its production is baseless. It looks exactly like it needs to be for the story they want to tell...

With all that said though, from what I've seen I'm not a fan of this direction.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Sonic looks awful. The trailer was amazing. It looks great in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way

It's the same deal as Detective Pikachu for me

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've realized why Sonic still is such a powerful brand despite countless mis-steps, it seems that Sega fully embraces everything about the brands current state. Instead of lacking self-awareness, they fully embrace the awfulness and cash in on it.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
People love to do this, but a Photoshop paint over is far far different than getting a fully fleshed out rigged character that works for multiple shots, lighting conditions and animation poses. I guarantee there were countless iterations of this Sonic character that resembled more of the classic look, but throughout a production concessions get made and things alter based on certain needs.

While the fan-redesign Sonic looks better in this pose in that moment, perhaps for the story they are trying to tell it does not work at all.

For example, perhaps they had the skinnier taller legs, but in some shots and motions it did not hold up. Or they tried larger angstier eyes but it didn't allow for emotions in the scenes they set up or lessens the impact when he goes into "angst mode". Or the hands were bigger at one point, but they realized they had to scale them back because they kept getting in the way of the Sonic sex scene. Or through marketing they found that children appeal to different shapes and forms so they skewed it more that way.

Not to say this movie wont be garbage, but to say what Sonic "should look like" without being a part of its production is baseless. It looks exactly like it needs to be for the story they want to tell...

Imma go out on a limb and say I don't think Sonic needs to look like a weird humanoid imp for this film's story to work and that I'm confident that my guess will hold true even after the film is out and people have seen it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Imma go out on a limb and say I don't think Sonic needs to look like a weird humanoid imp for this film's story to work and that I'm confident that my guess will hold true even after the film is out and people have seen it.
But he does, cause that is the movie that is coming out and it works for the movie they are telling.

New Box City

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever approved that design for Sonic... Wow. Just wow. How did that even make it through focus groups or did they just not do any market testing at all?

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only redeemable part of the trailer is the sequel hook true Robotnik at the end. Which is awful because:
1) This isn't getting a sequel
2) Jim is not coming back for a sequel
3) Why Gangster's Paradise!?

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like dumb fun, I'll probably check it out - then again, I've got zero attachment to the Sonic brand.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Man, its incredible that that is the design they came up with for sonic. My god. A whole team of people worked on that, approved that, got paid for that.

What a world.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
The movie doesn't look that bad but the Sonic character design is absolutely fucked, I hate any animation that tries to add human features to animals outside of a voice over, the teeth and eyes always make them look so creepy and always has the opposite effect of a regular animal which is cute!! uGh why can't they see this?! They should've gone with the most recent sonic design from the games with some good quality hair rendering and that's it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can only agree up to a certain point. past that, and taking into account the reception of the trailer, I have to say (so far) their decision to go with such a design was a bad call. maybe the movie will be more warmly received, but until then, the artists have to ask themselves if their reasonings were valid enough to be worth the ridicule the move is receiving so far. was there an alternate route? would it have required concessions in cinematography? possibly. but now they have to deal with a movie that's off to a rough start, and even worse, the fate of being compared to another live action adaptation that's riding high

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

maybe, but it's hard to say that that reasoning holds up when you look at Detective Pikachu, which is actually making an effort to stay as faithful as possible to the original character designs despite the addition of photorealistic fur/scales/etc., and whose CG characters all look far better than the Sonic design here

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I know this topic is 100% jokes, but Could someone please explain to me why is gangsterparadise playing during the trailer?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
we need even more movies about a human guy with wise cracking CG sidekicks and endless references
I think its Bubsy's time to shine

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I legit can't say if people here and there saying this is not too bad are serious or not.

I mean, opinions and all, but even neglecting the horrible man-hog design, heck even if you don't know one single thing about Sonic, every single second of the trailer screams C-tier movie, no actually C-tier movie FROM THE 90's, straight into Super Mario Bros. territory.

I mean, I can maybe see it ending up a "so bad it's kinda good" flick out of pure cheesiness in the best case scenario, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This being Super Mario Bros. movie territory is literally the best case scenario imaginable right now. I very much doubt we'll be that lucky; it's more likely to end either on the "Bad Movie" valley or the "Star Wars Special" abyss.

5204016b3075b.image.png

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
That design seems like it was created with the sole idea of making an accurate Halloween costume for kids.

Skipped over the Sonic series myself (except All Star Racing).. my condolences to Sonic fans. At least Carey seems like that part of the film won't be bad.

Marsden has to get rid of his agent :D