• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
1. Sonic design (the legs) are creepy AF

Detective Pikachu exceeded my expectations trailer-wise (i didn't have that high expectations tho when ryan reynolds was announced as pikachu, really wanted devito) but reynolds seemed to fit the role well. the pokemon designs are something new and they went well with the environment/cgi.

this trailer was exactly what i thought it was going to be. the reviews are going to be mediocre or maybe a little lower. the film with earn just enough to break even on the budget. so yeah no go here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
"EVERY HERO HAS A GENESIS"

I'm more into game gear than movie tech, so I wouldn't claim to have a master system for putting together movie trailers that aren't this corny, but thank Saturn that they've cobbled together a dream cast that includes the great Jim Carrey. You just know this is the type of movie your kid is going to watch 32X and want to get the soudtrack published by SEGA on CD.

You know what Sonic? You really were a Genesis game.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Sonic tried to save Pikachu from Galleom, but failed? This is Pikachu's payback, showing him how to make a good movie, but without actually helping Sonic at all.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I think that scene with the main characters knowing each-other screaming is way overdone. I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a grid with 9 or 12 of those in 15 minutes from the top of your head.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
what really hurts it most is Sonic's design. It's just not good. They really should have stuck with the more cartoony first take. The more realistic humanoid proportions just make him really off-putting.
Guys...

Guys.

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING.

What if...

What if Sonic's lanky human-like proportions are intentional? Because he's not in his home dimension?

Just like how Eggman/Robotnik went from this (our realm)
Jim-Carrey-the-Dr-740x414.jpg

to this (Sonic's world)...
682bbfeecc081b34850dcc092ae1c43e.png

Maybe the big climax of the movie will have Sonic go home, and transform from this...
0FsxKTN.png

...to this (or a comparable CGI equivalent)?
original.jpg

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Looks like its the same tier as Pikachu movie. Both look terrible.

The writing in Detective Pikachu seems far better (the whole premise is already more interesting, it isn't just a Pokémon movie), this one is literally "we have no idea what we're doing, let's throw Jim Carey in there to save it".

Then there's Sonic design and his eyes...

tumblr_pmrxe8Cxqo1upp723o1_400.gif

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Guys...

Guys.

What if...

What if Sonic's lanky human-like proportions are intentional? Because he's not in his home dimension?

Maybe the big climax of the movie will have Sonic go home, and transform from this...
0FsxKTN.png

original.jpg

You've put more thought into this than the people writing the movie

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Who thought gangsters paradise would be appropriate for a sonic movie lmao

Is this really a Shadow movie?

Nah, it would be more fitting for a Knuckles movie, for a Shadow movie it'd be something like My Chemical Romance.

looks like a detective pikachu spinoff. the cgi is worse but robotic might be interesting...

both detective pikachu and sonic had the same "protagonist screaming as cgi creature talks for the first time" moment. like c'mon.

To its favor, in Detective Pikachu it's kind of weird seeing how they live in a world full of Pokémon so it isn't like he's never seen a Pikachu, in Sonic well creatures like him don't exist normally.

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
Finally watched this trailer and hoo boy. Overall, subject matter aside, I feel it was a bad trailer. The jokes they chose to showcase fell flat, Gangster's Paradise was not a good use of tonal dissonance and Sonic was more creepy than adorable. Jim Carey looks like one of the few decent parts of this movie, as having an over dramatic Robotnik who can do some physical comedy is right up his wheelhouse. I want to see this movie to determine if it is still enjoyable, like Rocky Horror or The Room, or just plain bad.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This is bothering me a bit about the Sonic Trailer. Okay so Sonic says he needs to save their planet... Yet the trailer depicts Sonic as the baddy... He's the one who made an massive EMP that blackout half of North America, causing massive damage, loss of life (planes, Hospitals, people who need electronic to survive, stock prices etc), breaking entries, theft... All when seemingly uncarring about the chaos he's causing.

Eggman on the otherhand, while egotistical and an arse is in the right, Sonic in a menace and everything Eggman does in the trailer is solely to stop Sonic who was shown to do the above, the only reason it seems to escalating is because Sonic is causing things to escalate.

So like how can he save the planet when he is the one causing the problems according to the trailer?

I suspect that the main conflict is Sonic trying to prove that he, in fact, was not the one that made the EMP, and ultimately Robotnik was.

Love it. Now they can move onto Kirby.
690jup8sgjz11.png

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
We are dangerously in Alvin and the Chipmunks and Garfield territory here.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Carrey will be the only good thing to come out of this movie.

Everything else I hope will rival SMB/MK level bad just for current generation comparisons lol

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
So my kids saw the trailer and pretty much loved it. They already know Sonic because, we'll, they're my kids and any time he was on screen they lit up. They especially liked the 'Meow?' gag and Sonic in the bag. My oldest called the spindash by name too. My youngest said 'It just looks like Sonic'. They both shouted 'Eggman!' at the tease in the end.

Fascinating!

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Intrigued by the Robotnik backstory but boy does Sonic look terrible. Watched without audio so can't complain about anything else just yet

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Haha, not the music choice I was expecting. The movie probably won't be great, but seems like Carrey could be having fun atleast.
So my kids saw the trailer and pretty much loved it. They already know Sonic because, we'll, they're my kids and any time he was on screen they lit up. They especially liked the 'Meow?' gag and Sonic in the bag. My oldest called the spindash by name too. My youngest said 'It just looks like Sonic'. They both shouted 'Eggman!' at the tease in the end.

Fascinating!
Well these reactions are cool to hear =)

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Help, I think someone at Paramount is trying to kill me and very nearly got away with it.

Gangstas paradise is just the trailer music, the real theme song is Crossroads by Bone Thugs N Harmony.

My first reaction to watching this was that I need to watch Ring again to freahen up on what you are supposed to do after you have seen a cursed tape. I think as long as someone else clicks on it I am good?

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Damn this looks like straight up trash. I was bracing myself for how Sonic looked. Still wasn't ready for it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Guys...

Guys.

What if...

0FsxKTN.png

original.jpg

Then they shoulda shown that Sonic design in the first place.

The negative reception now will tank the film before its even out.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I said it before and i will say it again.

When he turns into Super Sonic in the movie whe will win you guys over;

hUy5W8m.jpg

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Then they shoulda shown that Sonic design in the first place.

The negative reception now will tank the film before its even out.
Probably, but I can imagine that the committee of people who wrote the script flagged it as the BIG DO NOT SPOIL CLIMACTIC THIRD ACT REVELATION OMG WTF BBQ of the movie. Y'know, sort of like Anakin Skywalker putting on the Vader helmet, except far worse.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Gangster's Paradise for this is the pick of an insane genius