• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Every Jim Carey scene solid gold. Every Sonic scene solid trash. But I have no idea how a live action Sonic is supposed to look. It's a rental at least but maybe see at theaters if the reviews are good.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
g9CNoX5.png
with slimmer legs, this works really well

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
Jim Carrey is gonna be like the Joker in Dark Knight. Most people will watch the movie because of him.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Well that's definitely something. When Sonic used a spin dash to destroy that tank thing that looked fine now Sonic looks even worse than in the leaks. Jim Carrey as Eggman looks okay I mean on the classic Eggman look, bald, red suit, red goggles, etc, yet it would appear that won't be the way he looks for most of the movie. Everything else looked garbage.

Also they used Gangsta's Paradise yet no sign of Knuckles.

Has Yuji Naka seen this trailer already?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic himself doesn't seem to show much swagger or personality. But I think what really saps this movie's soul is the setting in the real world. I find the use of the military for exposition to be so tiresome, be it Michael Bay's Transformers or recent Godzilla flicks or this. Where are the cute animals powering robots? Where's Green Hill Zone?

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim Carry looked fun and the movie doesn't look bad ... just very generic (except Sonic who looks badly designed!). The screenplay checks all the marks of a generic moden videogame/fantasy/comic/cartoon screenplay:
  • Main character comes to modern earth, so the studio can safe on locations and costume costs [check]
  • Main characters teams up with generic human, so that the audience can relate to somebody and there is a easy reason for explanation [check]
  • Main characters has problems to fit in the modern world, so he need help from the generic human. Otherwise there would be no need for him [check]
  • Villain is also human [check]
  • Main cast of the series isn't part of the majority of the movie to keep the budget low [check]
  • Pop-Culture references instead of jokes [check]
  • Pop-Song in trailer [check]
Other prediction:
  • Main character is capable to defeat the obstacles of its own, but needs a MacGuffin to actually reach his/her goal, which is out of reach for him/her alone
  • Generic humans has one or a mix of the following personal problems: Single parent, is trying to date somebody, tries to reconnect to his family or a specif family member or is a loser, which needs a push into action.
  • Main character and generic human get into an argument in the end of act two.
  • Funny misunderstandings about modern technology
  • Funny misunderstandings about the backstory or elements of the main characters canon
  • Main character is full of himself
  • Main character returns home
  • Family, colleagues and/or friends show up and help generic human and main character in the last act
  • When the military aren't the bad guys, there is a misunderstanding between them and the main character. They will have a change of heart and help him at the end, when the situation is more clear.
  • The sidekick of the villain is complete idiot and not very useful.
The Super Mario Movie is bad, but at least there was ambition in set-design and screenplay.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic himself doesn't seem to show much swagger or personality. But I think what really saps this movie's soul is the setting in the real world. I find the use of the military for exposition to be so tiresome, be it Michael Bay's Transformers or recent Godzilla flicks or this. Where are the cute animals powering robots? Where's Green Hill Zone?

Maybe it's GUN. Maybe this movie is canon as fuck.

Jan 10, 2018
Wrong music choice, the pandering doesn't work (gotta go fast and ring sounds), Sonic doesn't look good but passable, Carrey worked.

I go with okay. But its certainly massively lacking compared to Pikachu

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
One thing I actually do like about this new trailer is that it kinda gives off the vibe of being Ace Ventura 3 in all but name whenever Jim is on screen. There's obviously not going to be anything in this movie as funny as seeing a grown naked man squeeze his way out of the anus of a mechanical rhino, but I do appreciate the fact that he's gurning like it's 1994.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Carrey looks like he's having a fucking ball here and that makes me really excited for what will otherwise undoubtedly be a truly awful movie

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
After Detective Pikachu especially, this looks like hot trash.

The Sonic franchise can't catch a break. One step forward and five steps back. At least this might be worth a laugh when it inevitably comes to Netflix.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Why Jim... why did you contribute your talents to such utter shit. Sonic looks so fucking bad, Jesus lol. I tried to keep an open mind, and am still trying, dispite the shit trailer and god awful Sonic design.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Green Hill looks like it got turned into the town Marsden is from, judging from the logo on the cop car.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
Did they not have a single person on their team tell them that sonic's design is horrible? How does this happen... There's so much disconnect between what people would like to see and what we are getting. Jim Carrey is going to act his heart out but it doesn't look like he has a good script to work with.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Who thought gangsters paradise would be appropriate for a sonic movie lmao

Is this really a Shadow movie?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's the combination of Sonic being friends with a cop and the trailer playing Gangster's Paradise that just puts me into stunned silence

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
looks like a detective pikachu spinoff. the cgi is worse but robotic might be interesting...

both detective pikachu and sonic had the same "protagonist screaming as cgi creature talks for the first time" moment. like c'mon.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
.... I seriously think this will hit the level of Super Mario Bros the movie..... and this is not a good thing.....

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Using Gangstas Paradise for NO REASON!? That instantly turned me off. I will say Sonic looks better in motion than I thought considering that my expectations were super low here to begin with. Jim Carrey will probably redeem this film to some extent.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually kind of excited to see watch it. Just saw the trailer again and it looks like a fun little movie. The negativity surrounding it is a bit too much.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
after watching that horrid trailer, I really want to find a way to delete the internet so no one else has to suffer through that

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the comparisons to Detective Pikachu are extremely funny. This looks so, so, so much worse

Cant believe that this got Gangster's Paradise which plays for no reason but JoJo Part 5 didnt

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Why Jim... why did you contribute your talents to such utter shit. Sonic looks so fucking bad, Jesus lol. I tried to keep an open mind, and am still trying, dispite the shit trailer and god awful Sonic design.

Sonic looks bad, but Robotnik is on point. Reminds me a lot of the bad guy from Lazy Town (Rip Stefan).