• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Played some Sonic 1 GG yesterday (with the SMS style hack to make Sonic's sprites resemble those from the SMS version) for the obligatory festivities. Wasn't up for a Genesis/Adventure/whatever marathon this time; still love this series but I've been all Sonic'd out for some time now. I think once Sonic Studio drops (or SAGE happens, whichever comes first) that'll reignite my interest.

So uh, Sonic Forces is on sale. Is it worthy of a tenner?

Put on a longplay from Youtube and hold up on your controller's stick while watching, and you'll get a near identical experience as someone actually playing it.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Alright I guess I'll skip it! Anyone know the best way to play Adventure these days? Still the original hardware?

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Alright I guess I'll skip it! Anyone know the best way to play Adventure these days? Still the original hardware?

Buy the Steam version (it frequently goes on sale for a dollar and some cents) and use SADX Mod Installer. Vanilla DX is a terrible version of SA1 compared to the Dreamcast original but this collection of mods fixes it up nicely and is an amazing way to play it nowadays.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately I live in Japan so I'm out of luck with the steam option. Might just have to set up the Dreamcast!

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Unfortunately I live in Japan so I'm out of luck with the steam option. Might just have to set up the Dreamcast!

Had no idea SADX was blocked in that region, that sucks. What about third-party sites like Humble Bundle, can you buy it from there? https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sonic-adventure-dx

If that fails maybe you can try hunting down a physical copy of the 2004 PC version. That's actually the version that the mod installer converts the Steam port into, so if you were able to get ahold of it then you can use mods with absolutely no trouble.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Had no idea SADX was blocked in that region, that sucks. What about third-party sites like Humble Bundle, can you buy it from there? https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sonic-adventure-dx

If that fails maybe you can try hunting down a physical copy of the 2004 PC version. That's actually the version that the mod installer converts the Steam port into, so if you were able to get ahold of it then you can use mods with absolutely no trouble.
Yeah humble bundle is blocked too. I'll have a look and see if I can pick it up! Cheers for the advice!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played some Sonic 1 GG yesterday (with the SMS style hack to make Sonic's sprites resemble those from the SMS version) for the obligatory festivities. Wasn't up for a Genesis/Adventure/whatever marathon this time; still love this series but I've been all Sonic'd out for some time now. I think once Sonic Studio drops (or SAGE happens, whichever comes first) that'll reignite my interest.

Put on a longplay from Youtube and hold up on your controller's stick while watching, and you'll get a near identical experience as someone actually playing it.
On point

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely true, there's those Grand Metropolis highways you go flying off the bends on unless you slow the heck down or jam really hard in one direction, almost like you were intended to drift around them, but Sonic can't do that by himself in this game...
That's the weirdest part of the entire game for me. Why did they do it? Feels like the just forgot to add rails or a drift button.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely true, there's those Grand Metropolis highways you go flying off the bends on unless you slow the heck down or jam really hard in one direction, almost like you were intended to drift around them, but Sonic can't do that by himself in this game...
Sadly "not entirely true" isn't the best look either to a speedy platformer like Sonic... or any game whatsoever :(

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Is details like this that make me think sega is legit going to try and make a sonic mania sequel themselves, not understanding why people like it thinking they know and fuck it all up.

The shipping whatever is neither here nor there, its a franchise for kids boys in particular and does guy like this guy the official answer would be no for just about every character. But the friendship thing is like what? Do... do you understand what people like about shadow... like at all. The answer is no, they don't seem to understand why people like ANYTHING in sonic. But are more than willing to use nostalgia to sell products, fuck it up then be confused as to why people don't like it.

Why can't ya'll just be normal holy shit

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Is details like this that make me think sega is legit going to try and make a sonic mania sequel themselves, not understanding why people like it thinking they know and fuck it all up.
Yeah
The nightmare scenario would be the original team not returning to develop the sequel and having Sonic Team themselves ruin the entire series developing the game themselves and fucking shit up.
Don't touch Sonic Mania unless it's the Mania team, boyos.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

They over-corrected way too hard

I don't think its purely over correction, part of it but not the whole thing. I think they want him to be a loner dude so he can be more dynamic in use. Shadow is the leader of that team and that team exists to push shadow. Is what it is. And before they thought him having his own group of people behind him would make him look stronger. They even attempted twice and just decided not to , put a redeamed metal sonic on his team. They wanted him to have a squad.

And nowadays they want to use him again, but they want to use just him. And they have a vision for just him. So in their big ol smart brains, there idea is " well they aren't his friends anymore" . Not realizing that growth is what people enjoyed about the character, or not caring. The weird thing, they could have their loner brooding introvert shadow who doesn't hang out with people... and he could still have friends. That actually makes the people who he chooses to call his friends more special. They literally could satisfy two groups of people at once, they could legit have their cake and eat it too

but nope, because sega doesn't know how anything works. Even friendships

Why can't you be normal sega

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, never saw Shadow as the friend type post-Maria.
Allies, sure. Partners? You bet. Rivals? How could he not?

But I don't see him throwing anyone a surprise party.
Or inviting someone over for movie night.
Not even hanging out. I just can't picture it. Guy's way too uptight.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect somewhere around Generations they decided on the "definitive" molds of the characters, and they've been using those exact same designs for almost a decade now. Maybe Sonic Boom falling through scared them even further (although it seems like it was their fault Sonic Boom didn't have wholly distinct designs). Blaze is this. Shadow is this. Rouge is this. Even during Forces, where characters should've changed, nobody seemed that different after everything that happened, except for Knuckles being blandly competent and Tails... yeah.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the next date/event to looking forward to for new game announcements?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A new 100% complete Sonic fangame has been released.

Hey so question for anyone that can help, trying to avoid making a topic on this. Problem I have had with SRB2 and now this on my new PC (Windows) is unless I run as administrator every time it will not save anything even the controller config. Does anyone have any advice they can give Or should I make my own topic?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Hey so question for anyone that can help, trying to avoid making a topic on this. Problem I have had with SRB2 and now this on my new PC (Windows) is unless I run as administrator every time it will not save anything even the controller config. Does anyone have any advice they can give Or should I make my own topic?

I don't have the slightest idea, sorry. All I can recommend is downloading a fresh copy of the game and see if that fixes it (download 2.2.1 first, then the 2.2.4 patch after).

Copy these files/folders from your existing install and move them into the new install to save your progress.
  • replay
  • config.cfg
  • gamedata.dat
  • srb2sav1.ssg ... srb2sav2.ssg ... srb2sav3.ssg ... etc.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Sounds very much like you put it in Program Files. This folder is protected from non-administrators since Windows 2000, and programs are expected to adhere to this security requirement (by writing user data to /users/). SRB2 doesn't, which is what produces this behaviour. If you move SRB2 to a non-system location (like C:/Games/SRB2 for example) it should operate fine.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the slightest idea, sorry. All I can recommend is downloading a fresh copy of the game and see if that fixes it (download 2.2.1 first, then the 2.2.4 patch after).

Copy these files/folders from your existing install and move them into the new install to save your progress.
  • replay
  • config.cfg
  • gamedata.dat
  • srb2sav1.ssg ... srb2sav2.ssg ... srb2sav3.ssg ... etc.
Sounds very much like you put it in Program Files. This folder is protected from non-administrators since Windows 2000, and programs are expected to adhere to this security requirement (by writing user data to /users/). SRB2 doesn't, which is what produces this behaviour. If you move SRB2 to a non-system location (like C:/Games/SRB2 for example) it should operate fine.

Thanks both for the help and yes you are right that all my stuff I have been putting in PF so I will try that before re downloading. Odd thing is I am the administrator.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks both for the help and yes you are right that all my stuff I have been putting in PF so I will try that before re downloading. Odd thing is I am the administrator.

You don't need to redownload. Edward850 is 100% correct. I have SRB2 (and some other stuff) in its own special Games folder for exactly this reason. I just totally forgot this was a thing.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to redownload. Edward850 is 100% correct. I have SRB2 (and some other stuff) in its own special Games folder for exactly this reason. I just totally forgot this was a thing.

Yup it fixed it right up, Did have to delete the config files and redo them in the new location to fully fix it but now its good as new!

Oh also on topic do we know what Aaron Weber is doing now and is it a major change?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully its a good position to make decisions at Sega of America that would could get some interesting projects out of.

Also really worried about playing that S3D2D special stages are really bad. Feels like it would have been better to properly implement Sonic 3d blast stages they way they should have been. If anyone is not aware the reasons why they are seen as to easy is Tails and Kunckles each have their own set. So if you get a Tails emerald it moves to stage 2 for him but stays at stage 1 for Knuckles until you get on for him. The complete version by a Travelers tale member fixes this. Feel like they hack could have different rings tied to either Tails or knuckles variants. The old games had 3d special stages so it works any way.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

Sums up my thoughts on the film. Yeah, Sonic's character was off. He's too whiny about being lonely and not having friends while in the games, sure he likes having friends but he's totally content being alone as he prefers to do his own thing

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Shit is going down, gonna hide in my bunker from archie fans.

Hm, never saw Shadow as the friend type post-Maria.
Allies, sure. Partners? You bet. Rivals? How could he not?

But I don't see him throwing anyone a surprise party.
Or inviting someone over for movie night.
Not even hanging out. I just can't picture it. Guy's way too uptight.
Friends don't have to go throw birthday parties to be friends. Sometimes all you need to do is be there for people, and he's there for his friends. Or he was, untill sega decided no.

I don't know how you see like half the shit that happens in 06 and don't think he's friends with rouge or omega.

I suspect somewhere around Generations they decided on the "definitive" molds of the characters, and they've been using those exact same designs for almost a decade now. Maybe Sonic Boom falling through scared them even further (although it seems like it was their fault Sonic Boom didn't have wholly distinct designs). Blaze is this. Shadow is this. Rouge is this. Even during Forces, where characters should've changed, nobody seemed that different after everything that happened, except for Knuckles being blandly competent and Tails... yeah.

Knuckles wasn't even compitent, he was just bland. I don't think sonic boom scared them, if it did they would have went away from all those characterizations, they haven't. It was just indicative of what they they think will be the most profitable thing going forward. And after its failure they just repackaged the shit without the duct tape and elogated limbs.

Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles are a team. Eggman and metal sonic are bad. Shadow's a lone wolf. Everyone else gets in where they sort of fit in. Even if some of that stuff is uh, contradictory they think it will work. It didn't work at all and they are still pushing it , but they think it will work...for some reason. This entire thing feels like a soft reboot but they are just not committed enough to make a hard reboot, for fear of failure. But considering the soft reboot is receiving push back, maybe review it? But i get the feeling the people who need to know that its getting pushback either don't know or don't care.

I don't think it does and pretty much agree with most of that video .

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
www.sonicstadium.org

Tangle & Whisper Uncovered in Sonic Dash Datamine! - The Sonic Stadium

Share1FacebookTweetEmail Sonic’s mobile games have been focused on making more Sonic characters playable for years now, making deeper and deeper cuts into the game canon. Now, Hardlight seems to be mining Sonic’s IDW comics for new characters, according to data uncovered by Twitter user...

This is kinda deceptively big news since it's the first time in 20+ years that characters originating from comics/manga are made playable in an official Sonic game. Pretty cool. :)

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Also didn't have as many bugs as say, Sonic Adventure. I liked Heroes. Still do. I'm sure Sonic Team made design decisions to make it easier to port to the three consoles as well, but none of this is a surprise...

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the discourse here in the Sonic OT regarding Sonic Mania 2. Did everyone in here generally agree that they want this game?

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
The levels in Sonic Heroes weren't really that flat or simplistic, were they? Frustrating and repetitive, sure, but they didn't seem that basic to me.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd take anything from the same, or a similar team that made Sonic Mania but would instantly distrust a 2D Sonic game made in a similar vein by the Sonic Team.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
"Sonic Team made the game ugly and with flat/simplistic level design"

76EE.gif