• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Peeps still salty that TSR is a Sonic racing game, despite it going to be a racer that'll deliver thanks to Sumo.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Peeps still salty that TSR is a Sonic racing game, despite it going to be a racer that'll deliver thanks to Sumo.
Don't worry about it. It shouldnt affect its sales. If it doesnt succeed, it wont be for lack of sega characters.

About the review embargo, someone claiming to have a review copy in the hype check thread said it was friday.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Don't worry about it. It shouldnt affect its sales. If it doesnt succeed, it wont be for lack of sega characters.

About the review embargo, someone claiming to have a review copy in the hype check thread said it was friday.
I see thanks. I'd only make a thread about the embargo info if it were officially announced, but as is, a review thread will suffice.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I believe most if not all videos online on the Nintendo Switch version are pirated copies.

|OT| Livin' In The (Gangsta's Paradise) City
|OT| No VectorMan again, just Vector
|OT| Super Sonic Heroes Racing

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, looking at YouTube right now, people either got copies at stores that sold it early, or they're playing pirated copies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So I've seen a bit from the leaks and

Apparently Dadan Po (or however he's called) has tech from the future? Could this game be linked to Mania as well, where Classic Eggman gets sucked off his timeline?

I believe most if not all videos online on the Nintendo Switch version are pirated copies.

|OT| Livin' In The (Gangsta's Paradise) City
|OT| No VectorMan again, just Vector
|OT| Super Sonic Heroes Racing
One video straight up had a link to download it. They're all pirate copies, otherwise we'd probably see PS4 / One gameplay as well

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People also has been uploading the OST to youtube.

The full version of Green Light Ride rocks though

Oct 25, 2017
|OT| There's no Ai-Ai in Team
|OT| I believe it's called... Ménage à trois
|OT| A Hedgehog, Echidna, and Fox walk into a car...

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
|OT| Going into R(everse)
|OT| Sonic OutRunners (alternatively: Sonic Outrun 2019)
|OT| Sonic Drift 3 (...and Knuckles)
|OT| Triple Trouble

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, even if it's true.

BOOOOOOOO!

Have some Chao now!

WeeIdolizedCopperhead.webp

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Not really feeling that remix. Has a kind of childish vibe to it that always rubs me the wrong way in Sonic stuff.

At the risk of promoting even more "WHERE ARE THE SEGA CHARACTERS" talk in the OT than necessary... this is probably the best one. Of course, I've always been one for punny titles.
We might as well do it anyways because half of the people coming in it will be dropping in to just say "would buy this if it had ____ oh well :(".

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Not really feeling that remix. Has a kind of childish vibe to it that always rubs me the wrong way in Sonic stuff.

We might as well do it anyways because half of the people coming in it will be dropping in to just say "would buy this if it had ____ oh well :(".

It's happy childish IMO, full of energy and hope.

Eh, perhaps the OT will get those posts early on but over time it should only be ppl with the game. Let's not encourage them further with an OT title like that. The review thread is gonna be a shitshow tho. What range are we expecting ? I'm thinking 75-85.

Edit:
Also, another OT idea:

|OT| We'll show that creep the real superpower of teamwork
|OT| Because we're... Sonic Heroes

I really think it should be either something referencing Sonic Heroes (due to the character types and emphasis on teamwork) or a reference to past Sonic racing games like R, Riders or All Star.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The review thread is gonna be a shitshow tho. What range are we expecting ? I'm thinking 75-85.

Starting with a perfect 10, we can expect a point off for not having a bunch of characters from dead IP, a point off for not bringing back the Transformed mechanics even though the karting bits were always better than the boat and plane segments, and a point off for the focus on team racing instead of just ripping off Mario Kart. Around 70 sounds about right.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Starting with a perfect 10, we can expect a point off for not having a bunch of characters from dead IP, a point off for not bringing back the Transformed mechanics even though the karting bits were always better than the boat and plane segments, and a point off for the focus on team racing instead of just ripping off Mario Kart. Around 70 sounds about right.

If the reviewers actually get to play the team mechanics with other people it might actually work out in the game's favor as everyone who got to experience those co-op have had nothing but praise for them. Other points are possible tho.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It's happy childish IMO, full of energy and hope.

Eh, perhaps the OT will get those posts early on but over time it should only be ppl with the game. Let's not encourage them further with an OT title like that. The review thread is gonna be a shitshow tho. What range are we expecting ? I'm thinking 75-85.

Edit:
Also, another OT idea:

|OT| We'll show that creep the real superpower of teamwork
|OT| Because we're... Sonic Heroes

I really think it should be either something referencing Sonic Heroes (due to the character types and emphasis on teamwork) or a reference to past Sonic racing games like R, Riders or All Star.
"Happy childish" is super anti-Sonic stuff to me personally. More power to you though! I like the soundtrack's diversity from what I have heard if nothing else. I think they should have focused more on remixes than original songs, but I like the deep cut they made with Sand Hill Zone.

As for the OT, people are going to be complaining about the lack of other SEGA franchises being repped for the entire game's lifespan. It is not going to help to act like no one should be bothered by that. I mean, even the Sonic Riders games were loaded with other SEGA stuff. It is 100% a valid complaint. Beyond that I think general word of mouth is what will push this game most, like it did with Transformed.

As for the reviews, I am expecting high 7s mostly. There is nothing really wrong or clearly terrible about the game, it is just kinda light on content. I have my fingers crossed that they have plans for longform support though considering they mention Overwatch and Splatoon constantly as inspirations, but I am not holding my breath on that.

we can expect a point off for not having a bunch of characters from dead IP,
Can we seriously knock this 'dead IP' chatter off? It is honestly infuriating when more than half of this game's cast is effectively nobodies to most people anyways.

Plus if we are being honest here, SEGA probably has more ongoing IP than most game companies do. It is just that in the past Sumo focused on Sonic Team one-offs for the most part for whatever reason. Seriously, why would they ever consider something like Billy Hatcher over something like Yakuza?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Can we seriously knock this 'dead IP' chatter off? It is honestly infuriating when more than half of this game's cast is effectively nobodies to most people anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Sega's IP both living and dead. I just think it's funny that people will complain about how nobody wants to play as Sonic's friends, only to then bemoan the lack of a star-studded cast filled with iconic characters like... Vectorman.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Sega's IP both living and dead. I just think it's funny that people will complain about how nobody wants to play as Sonic's friends, only to then bemoan the lack of a star-studded cast filled with iconic characters like... Vectorman.
I'd be willing to bet there are maybe 4 people in the entire known universe who would choose to play as Zavok over Vectorman sooooo

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'd be willing to bet there are maybe 4 people in the entire known universe who would choose to play as Zavok over Vectorman sooooo
i would be willing to take you up on that bet.

vectorman, really? a bunch of spheres that was only cool in the early 90s? zavok is a whole lot of nothing, but way more people know about him thanks to the mobile games.

Oct 25, 2017
i would be willing to take you up on that bet.

vectorman, really? a bunch of spheres that was only cool in the early 90s? zavok is a whole lot of nothing, but way more people know about him thanks to the mobile games.
you take that back Vectorman will always be cool

also idk what recognition has go do anything... I know who Zavok is but would rather I didn't. He kind of very much sucks whereas Vectorman is a robot and robots are cool

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
you take that back Vectorman will always be cool

also idk what recognition has go do anything... I know who Zavok is but would rather I didn't. He kind of very much sucks whereas Vectorman is a robot and robots are cool
you kind of need to be known to have people choose you over someone else

i mean, zavok is boring but he's also like, a dragon? so i could see someone thinking that's cool. vectorman hasn't been around to foster any kind of a fandom in decades, let alone be based on anything that a 5 year old might pick up and think is neat

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

As much as I dislike Zavok, I'm pretty sure that kids would rather play as the big red guy with lots of spikes and blue hair than the green ball man who looks like he escaped from a 90s CGI tech demo.

Oct 25, 2017
you kind of need to be known to have people choose you over someone else

i mean, zavok is boring but he's also like, a dragon? so i could see someone thinking that's cool. vectorman hasn't been around to foster any kind of a fandom in decades, let alone be based on anything that a 5 year old might pick up and think is neat
🤷‍♀️ when I was 6 I didn't know wtf a Metroid was but I played Samus in Melee because I thought she was a robot

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
🤷‍♀️ when I was 6 I didn't know wtf a Metroid was but I played Samus in Melee because I thought she was a robot
i mean that's kind of the point?

a kid picking up the game with no context won't know that zavok is a total non-starter, but between him and vectorman how many are gonna choose the dragon dude or the circles? i can assure you, that's going to end up being more than 4 people in the known universe.

Oct 25, 2017
i mean that's kind of the point?

a kid picking up the game with no context won't know that zavok is a total non-starter, but between him and vectorman are they gonna choose the dragon dude or the circles?
If it were me I'm pretty sure I would have picked the circles.

But regardless I think this line of debate is kind of pointless. You literally cannot tell me that there are more people out there, young or old, who are more endeared to and excited to play as Zavok than Vectorman, Ulala, AiAi, or Vyse. It's nonsense, and I stand by the opinion that dropping more than half the cast that made this series of racers popular in the first place in favor of Sonic series nobodies was a horrible decision. It's valid to be upset about that, especially since unlike me a lot of the people who are complaining about it really loved ASR/ASRT and have more of an emotional attachment to SEGA's other IPs than Sonic.

It says a lot that even in y'all's defense of that, you and Camjo's points are still prefaced with "I don't even like Zavok but-".

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I mean whatever the case is, one thing is for sure : Zavok doesn't have good character design. I would've gone with Cubot/Orbot in one car instead of him.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

But regardless I think this line of debate is kind of pointless. You literally cannot tell me that there are more people out there, young or old, who are more endeared to and excited to play as Zavok than Vectorman, Ulala, AiAi, or Vyse. It's nonsense, and I stand by the opinion that dropping more than half the cast that made this series of racers popular in the first place in favor of Sonic series nobodies was a horrible decision. It's valid to be upset about that, especially since unlike me a lot of the people who are complaining about it really loved ASR/ASRT and have more of an emotional attachment to SEGA's other IPs than Sonic.

It says a lot that even in y'all's defense of that, you and Camjo's points are still prefaced with "I don't even like Zavok but-".
i mean you're moving goalposts. i'd rather have ulalal, aiai, nights, etc.

but vectorman is stupid. i actually do prefer zavok over him.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Zavok is the only real dud in the cast. As for the rest of the "nobodies", I frequent the Sega Heroes Discord and I can tell you that requests for more Sonic characters like Silver and Blaze are far greater than those for other IP (which sucks for me because apparently nobody wants the ChuChus or a Kapu Kapu).

Oct 25, 2017
i mean you're moving goalposts. i'd rather have ulalal, aiai, nights, etc.

but vectorman is stupid. i actually do prefer zavok over him.
Am I? If the discussion is the dropping of SEGA characters in favor of an all Sonic cast then I think it's fair to compare the characters we lost to the ones we got in exchange. Was Vectorman even in ASRT? Why limit the scope of the discussion to just him?

I mean I like Silver well enough but I'm not gonna pretend dropping Ulala for another hedgehog friend was a good idea for the game's appeal.

Zavok is the only real dud in the cast. As for the rest of the "nobodies", I frequent the Sega Heroes Discord and I can tell you that requests for more Sonic characters like Silver and Blaze are far greater than those for other IP (which sucks for me because apparently nobody wants the ChuChus or a Kapu Kapu).
With all due respect, I don't think the requests of a tiny subset of fans on a SEGA/Sonic discord speak louder than the very loud backlash this game has gotten for dropping its SEGA characters.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Don't forget with individual reviews starting off with "Sonic hasn't had a good couple of years except for Mania"

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Am I? If the discussion is the dropping of SEGA characters in favor of an all Sonic cast then I think it's fair to compare the characters we lost to the ones we got in exchange. Was Vectorman even in ASRT? Why limit the scope of the discussion to just him?

I mean I like Silver well enough but I'm not gonna pretend dropping Ulala for another hedgehog friend was a good idea for the game's appeal.
the original post i'm responding to of yours was specific to vectorman and zavok, so that's the only point i'm talking about.

and you're just gonna have to admit that vectorman is less than nobody.

Oct 25, 2017
the original post i'm responding to of yours was specific to vectorman and zavok, so that's the only point i'm talking about.

and you're just gonna have to admit that vectorman is less than nobody.
lol I'm sorry to disappoint but having not even played Vectorman and unfortunately having played all the way through that trash ass Wii U Sonic game, there is not a single SEGA character I would put below Zavok. And you're out of your mind if you think the villain of a single Sonic game that reviewed bad and sold worse is a more popular character than the leading character of two popular video games, old or not.