• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
when sonic colors gets remade to include shadow kicking a fucker at the back of his head you let me know champ

until then 06 is THE BETTER GAME
When Sonic Colors gets remade to add Sonic dying or kissing an uncanny valley human character you call me and I'll agree with you on Sonic 06 being better on the story front.
For anything else they basically would have to make the game nearly unplayable to reach Sonic06 level.

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow's campaign is one of the worst things I've ever played hard stop
But his story has the best writing/best iteration of Shadow in the franchise, so it's tough. His melee combat had potential to be an intersting change up from the other hogs, but is ultimately repetitive and bogged down by vehicle bullshit.

I would argue Shadow's story is literally the best he's ever been. Strait up justifies him as a character and presents his character well and has basically been the template for his character for years.
What he said.

why are we still here
370.jpg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
But his story has the best writing/best iteration of Shadow in the franchise, so it's tough. His melee combat had potential to be an intersting change up from the other hogs, but is ultimately repetitive and bogged down by vehicle bullshit.
Shadow was very 'funny' to play!
"Hey this isn't too bad! Not as competent as Shadow the Hedgehog but still playable"
*hops on a vehicle*
"MAKE IT STOP!!!"

Then you realize that most of the stages are Shadow on a vehicle...

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow was very 'funny' to play!
"Hey this isn't too bad! Not as competent as Shadow the Hedgehog but still playable"
*hops on a vehicle*
"MAKE IT STOP!!!"

Then you realize that most of the stages are Shadow on a vehicle...
I loved tumbling around with the jeep in pure uncontrollable agony only to realize you can hop out at any moment and compete the "vehicle" section on foot.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I loved tumbling around with the jeep in pure uncontrollable agony only to realize you can hop out at any moment and compete the "vehicle" section on foot.
That was the saving grace of that part, the problem comes later when you get that plane thing and you CAN'T skip it in any way.
Kind of wish you were Sonic Boom's Knuckle there.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Seems there was just a TSR press event in London. Caddicarus and Antdude got to play it. Given how they're streaming it tomorrow and some YouTuber have gotten to play the final build, looks like tomorrow might finally be a footage blowout.

Oct 25, 2017
I (very casually) streamed getting S-Ranks in P-06 if anyone is interested in watching

Split into two parts because my PC died also please excuse technical hiccups

Village

Oct 25, 2017

NIce short. Though in this advertisement for the game, shows an issue people have with the team mechanics.

No Team chaotix... i'm sorry Team vector or rose though.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm really bored by the Team Sonic Racing shorts. It feels like the same one or two jokes over and over:

- Oh no, they're about to hit something!
- Oh no, they crashed!
- Oh no, they got left behind and have to catch up!

There's no setup, no stakes, I wouldn't blame you if you forgot they were even having a race at all. It's just a little too simple for my tastes and really reminds me of that short-lived era where mobile games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope started adding bland little cartoons to their apps for kids to watch.

At least Tyson's designs remain solid.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah but the animation is really solid and it oozes charm.
I don't know how effective they are as a marketing tool but they're a delight to watch.
Shadow at the end of the race was fantastic.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm really bored by the Team Sonic Racing shorts. It feels like the same one or two jokes over and over:

- Oh no, they're about to hit something!
- Oh no, they crashed!
- Oh no, they got left behind and have to catch up!

There's no setup, no stakes, I wouldn't blame you if you forgot they were even having a race at all. It's just a little too simple for my tastes and really reminds me of that short-lived era where mobile games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope started adding bland little cartoons to their apps for kids to watch.

At least Tyson's designs remain solid.
I dunno, I think they are cute and work for what they are personally.

I mean, the short shows an issue with team racing is that you have to account for your team, but that's more of an issue with the game itself possibly. As it is, I think they are fine. But I would like a non car based modern sonic cartoon, at some point. With voice acting

Also with blaze and silver, who as of currently have yet to be animated

Side note , uhhh

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
D4ZFwNpUEAIImZ-

I dunno, I think they are cute and work for what they are personally.

I mean, the short shows an issue with team racing is that you have to account for your team, but that's more of an issue with the game itself possibly. As it is, I think they are fine. But I would like a non car based modern sonic cartoon, at some point. With voice acting

Also with blaze and silver, who as of currently have yet to be animated

Side note , uhhh

My understanding from reply posts is that there is no delay for PC version.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have they ever said why Vector always seems to get too billing over the other Team Chaotix members?

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's because he's green and bulky and contrasts well with the rest of the cast.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
When you think about it, for a team based racer, it's a pretty small roster.
Especially after Sumo specified that Transformed's roster was limited by the unique vehicles and their three forms to boot.

Maybe there's more going on with vehicle customisation than I think.

Oh and Vector gets top billing because he's a swag croc with a design more unique than most

Village

Oct 25, 2017
big green DJ crocodile vs. sonic but ninja or tails but bee

the choice feels simple to me
Yeah its sonic ninja. Seriously though ninja's are tight, espio has always been tight he's a ninja chameleon come on!

Vector is green and big and fits the strong guy trope. And Silver And Blaze are probs more asked for at this point than the entire of the chaotix. Sucks no espio for me, but its cool

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
When you think about it, for a team based racer, it's a pretty small roster.
Especially after Sumo specified that Transformed's roster was limited by the unique vehicles and their three forms to boot.

Maybe there's more going on with vehicle customisation than I think.

Oh and Vector gets top billing because he's a swag croc with a design more unique than most

For everyone criticizing Crash Team Racing for not having a stable pool of characters to pick from, it's wild how it's ending up with more racers than a game for a series known for the main character having many friends. Heck, CTR even has a "crocodile" to rival Vector!

I'd say Zam should count as a negative character for CTR's roster overall just for being the objective worst, but TSR has Zavok, so it cancels out.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Tried (suffered) again though it today for some reason today and I can confidently say:

Sonic Lost World is a putrid piece of shit. Absolutely horrific controls.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sonic Lost World is a putrid piece of shit. Absolutely horrific controls.

I only managed to enjoy the game once I started trying to do speedruns, which mostly meant using the spindash everywhere. There are still a lot of issues with the things the game doesn't explain well (or fails to explain at all). I still get into panic mode over what you have to do to get some of those red rings, though.

=====

I'm sad I missed the '06 Discourse, because after I 100%ed it a couple weeks ago I started on a big ol' efforpost that I do hope to finish. I actually do think there are some bits and pieces of good ideas in the game, but they're all heavily stifled by the presentation, the inane busywork, and the questionable amigo controls. Stuff like the Mach Speed section of Wave Ocean, the first section of Kingdom Valley (which was used in the demos for the game), the lit parts of the volcano in Flame Core, and the last section of White Acropolis are all really interesting structures that do a lot to buck the sort of trend of Sonic stages being corridor or chase segments a la Crash Bandicoot.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
For everyone criticizing Crash Team Racing for not having a stable pool of characters to pick from, it's wild how it's ending up with more racers than a game for a series known for the main character having many friends.
Looking at the above screenshot for TSR, I did find it curious that I could name every character shown except 1, despite having bought no Sonic games released between Sonic Rush and Sonic Mania.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Looking at the above screenshot for TSR, I did find it curious that I could name every character shown except 1, despite having bought no Sonic games released between Sonic Rush and Sonic Mania.

They really haven't introduced much of any characters since 2006 with Silver, really. Although now that you mention it I'd love them to have, say, Professor Pickle in the game.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

And I could have named you all the characters in CTR except the 2 non-Oxide aliens back before N. Sane Trilogy came out despite not having played a Crash game since Bash before then (Both newer games came out in 2017, so that's a longer gap by 5 years).

I think a good take away is that non-standard alien designs that start with "Z" & have, like, 1 personality trait is a bad idea. But also that it's case-by-case. Granted, Sonic also has Internet memes on its side, hence why you recognized Silver. Everybody Crash meme involved Crash himself.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
My DLC wishlist

These three

kisspng-sonic-riders-knuckles-chaotix-sonic-the-hedgehog-team-5ac982a5b6d4d1.8002984015231556217489.jpg

The two on the left

4c81c987dd4cc4d8c57fd6cdc1ea95d3.jpg

these three

chaos_tikal_gamma_by_nibroc_rock-d9hy0dd.png

Her

2c687bdc954aadd14e6d12a5aae7b696.png

Her

latest

and TEAM BLACK DOOM featuring the sons he never had (but always wanted)

latest

latest

latest

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I'm surprised at Zavok(?) over the Sonic Forces main villain. I legit forgot his name, sorry Sonic fandom. I guess the cartoon was popular?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Real ass DLC team

sonic-boom-lyric-4.jpg

The Lyric that realised he was too good for the game he was gonna be in

latest

ViewtifulJC's fave Sonic character

And some other beaky dude, someone throw me some comic fodder, cheers

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Real ass DLC team

sonic-boom-lyric-4.jpg

The Lyric that realised he was too good for the game he was gonna be in

latest

ViewtifulJC's fave Sonic character

And some other beaky dude, someone throw me some comic fodder, cheers
How you gonna call my boy Bean the Dynamite fodder?!
Don't expect non-Modern era characters, since SEGA apparently have this bizarre-ass rules on what characters to use and what not to use.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
How you gonna call my boy Bean the Dynamite fodder?!
Don't expect non-Modern era characters, since SEGA apparently have this bizarre-ass rules on what characters to use and what not to use.
Wouldn't be right for me to throw Bean in there without Bark and Fang, an in built trio to not be used because as you say, classic characters get the snub