• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Music

Hello Sega, Sonic Team and a bunch of people who I'm sure aren't reading this thread. I want to talk to you, kind of. You see I'm gonna make some youtube videos maybe, the scrips are done I have my comedic pauses, bass boots, and jump cuts ready. The only things getting in the way is editing and my crippling depression. However I want to talk to some people here to get a different kind of perspective before I commit to doing that, at least in regards to blue hedgehog related content.

So why are we here, well as the title suggests. I'm calling you out Sega! Sonic Team! Even the Yakuza Team I don't know what you did but stay on your toes I'm watching you.

You all lack commitment! I see you all want to do something but you are too afraid to do it, and you have been wanting to do it since 2012. But before we get to do that, we have to go back further. To the magical year of 98.

At the tail end of one of my most legendary years in video game releases came sonic adventure. A game along with its sequel that would capture the minds of young people and cause them to produce fan art to this day. Even dedicating entire episodes of a cartoon they made to be glorified fan art. People really like sonic. They really do . And they liked this sonic and its sequel. Those two games for better or for worse are held up as what 3d sonic " needs to be " by large sections of fans for years. Even now, especially now actually. Now I don't quite agree with this, and I say this as someone who will be saying " SA2 was tight tho " on his deathbed. However in terms of themes , and characters I do think these weird awkwardly voice acted anime ass games are a weird ass golden standard, and trust me I know that says a lot about the 3d sonic games.

However I do understand I don't own sonic. My opinions are my opinions and eventually the giant corporate entity will dictate that people like me are not valuable for their profit margins and proceed to not care about what I desire. And to be honest I thought they already had however a series of events have convinced me otherwise. And unfortunately for my sanity I feel as though I need to say something. Because I'm watching a company who previously tried to appeal to other demographics , fall over itself trying to give me weird half made gifts confused as to why I don't want them.

But I think they are aware, and I think there are people at sega who are or have worked on sonic who are a lot more aware of the room than people give them credit for. Sonic team is often portrayed as bumbling idiots but I would argue to create something like sonic you have to have your hands on the pulse on a lot of things. And I don't mean the sonic room, I mean media in general.

So what does all this mean, simply put they have been trying to do a reformatting of the 3d sonic games for years and they really want to do something with adventure era stuff. But they don't quite want to commit to it. And I feel as though they need to make the same jump, the same flip scrip and just go ahead and reformat it, because until they do. Until they are able to commit to something and work on it all you are going to get are half hearted appeals.

Now some of you might be like, those are very bold claims. "Sonic flipping the script is what sonic has been doing wrong the whole time", and I would argue that you are noticing a symptom of the problem. The flipped scripts aren't an issue, yes I feel like they would commit to a gameplay style for longer ... but they have and didn't help, just like removing the friend characters didn't help. Just like making the stories sillier didn't help. The issue, the virus if we are to keep to the metaphor, comes into forms.

1) they are not given the development time and resources to actually do what they want
2) They have an apprehension to actually committing to their ideas because at some point along the line they became too afraid of alienating people.

Now this isn't unique to sonic team, this isn't unique to video games. "Do we have enough cash" and "are we alienating people" are questions anyone has who is in the business of selling anything to anyone else has asked. But I hope that nudging they into the right direction may make them at least under these conditions make a better more focused product. And generally with sonic team, when one is occurring it feeds into the other thing and it just gets bad.

So why do I think that the script needs to be flipped and why do I think sega has been trying to do this for a while?Sonic Mania.

Now this is weird right , sonic mania seems like the most unflipped script there is it's a hard appeal to no nostalgia it's purely back in the day. But that's just it, after decades of ignoring classic sonic largely making their own 2d sonic games with modern sonic and new characters. Even to go so far as to repackage a mobile game call it sonic 4 with modern sonic in it. They just gave people want they wanted. It was a 2d sonic game with sonic tails and knuckles, eventually mighty and ray ( unfortunately no amy ) , had the 90's rnb sound and had the classic voiceless story... the works. The norm for sonic team hearing your desires is to misinterpret them widly, "oh you want a shadow game... time to give him a gun and make him curse. Oh you want better friend sections because how we have portrayed them and worked them into games have become burdensome, time to just get rid of them " . They make a manner of trying to surgery with a hammer. But in this instance with the help of another studio of professionals, just did the thing and it was received well. And it sort of reinforced what I have thought about this situation for years.

If you just give folks the thing they want and its good people will engage with your familiar IP. if you make them aware of it and if interest is there.

And I want to be very specific , mania is specific. There has been a call for a classic sonic type game for quite some time. This game isn't adventure game, this game isn't a modern game, this is a classic ass game. And its only blemish its unfortunate narrative connection to forces. But in general its own thing executed in the way it needs to be, with general no intruding elements from other parts of the franchise. And that's why it works. That doesn't mean you couldn't introduce a classic version of blaze the cat, but it would blaze reinterpeted in classic format , not it shoved in like classic sonic in forces. You wanna play mania you gotta play by its rules.

Sonic is a franchise that is said to have split fanbases. And I believe to be factually correct. But the context that is always left off, is that every long running fanbase has split fanbases generally. The products go through phases, change, different people like different things. The MCU fanbase is generally different from people who read comics , that's generally different from kids watching cartoons and buying toys and that generally different from yipes and max asking for marvel vs capcom. There is connective tissue but they have different needs and desires. And that's ok. The idea that this has been wielded as some sort of criticism, especially by people who claim to like this series is baffling. That's just how liking a big thing over a period of time goes.

And I am of the opinion a hard appeal to the " adventure era " with all its weird anime ass stories, crazy gameplay styles and wild music changes in fact would do just as well as mania. I'm not asking for SA3, or SA mania or SA1 and 2 remakes ...well I kinda want those last two but we will get to that later.Will talk about that in another thread, this one is gonna be long. Point is , if you make a product for those people a well done, unfiltered product. They will buy it, others will buy it like mania because they will be able to check out what's the hubub is about it. " Oh I have heard folks talk about how cool adventure was over the years but all I saw was an old video game, they remade it, lets see what's up "

Mania has also forced sonic team's hand so to speak. Why would people engage with 2d sonic stuff in modern sonic, or rather classic stuff in 3d sonic. Mania exists , make more of that. It's the thing they actually want. Any inclusions will feel like filler, half hearted appeals and a pale imitation of a thing that already exists. And why will 3d sonic fans engage with sort of weird amalgamations of various sonic things when... the classic fans are getting the whole thing they wanted.

Now I could end this here, I have explained how I feel what sonic has done in the past and made the claim of what it needs to do to actually create games that work for people, explained. I have explained why mania has changed the game and the position its put them in. But there is one claim I have yet to justify that I think ties all this up with a fancy bow. And for that, we need to go back to sonic boom.

Sonic boom was supposed to be a third piller in the sonic franchise, I third brand. There's a lot of talk about why it didn't work, what about it was the failure. But largely these points are irrelevant to me. What's relevant is what it seems like they were trying to do. Based on cut content, what the producer at the time was talking about, rumors spread about its development. It seems like sonic boom was supposed to be an adventure pillar. Multiple playable characters were back, shadow was back in focus and the producer was talking about him having this entire elaborate story , other new playable characters existed, chao world was supposed to exist and was cut , new non eggman villains a somewhat more " serious " story. It seems like they wanted to take things that worked in the adventure era and repackage. And while I think it was poorly executed, its the right track. And I think sonic team and sega are very aware of this. Enough time as passed and we are in a new age of nostalgia, Disney are literally selling repackaged versions of their old movies en masse. I'm about to watch an invader zim movie. Someone somewhere in sega , was noticing this trend back when they were developing sonic boom, or sonic synergy at the time. They noticed that there was an audience specifically for adventure era stuff. And ever since has been slowly trying to work that stuff back into the product.

Now some of you might be reasonably saying " isn't Sonic boom the scrip flip and it didn't work " .Well one it was poorly executed, but two no sonic boom (IMO) issues is that is infact... kind of safe. It doesn't go all in on its bullshit and I think its perfectly represented in the redesigned characters.

The best looking redesigns in sonic boom are Amy , Eggman, Shadow and tails. The first two are wildly different interpretations both in personality and visual design. Eggman's goes from like this sort of like tubby president inspired scientist who's high on his own farts. To kind of an incompetent hunter His whole vibe goes into this techno hunter category. He looks like a 20's weightlifter mixed with a mad scientist from old film., they were going for a very particular colonialist hunter/evil scientist kinda vibe for him and it works he's a eird guy from a foreign planet that wants to enslave animals. And amy while not as drastic as eggman, there's a lot of change. Her personality is wild different she's a lot more reasonable she has a profession and is actually a lot more a functional person than everyone else. She's taller and presumably the same age of sonic so it goes from youthful crush to trying to get a handle on this wild guy you kinda like but who's life is kinda in shambles. He design looks more tough , she goes from girl in gogo boots tone of the crew. And on the opposite end you have tails and shadow. Who are relatively the same, except tails has googles and a belt and shadow has high tops and gauntlets. Shadow's personality is a bit different. Its still just a bad interpretation of the one he had.

And that's sort of the issue with boom in general. ( Well there are some general quality issues ) But overall, it wants to go weird but feels trapped by tradition that's how you get lank sonic and buffles. You get a bunch of weird interesting platforming stuff, kind of held down by the need to be a "sonic" game. But because its a "sonic" it needs to have " sonic-ey" things and those things like mandatory run sections that weren't fun and it kinda drags down the entire experience and you loose focus on a lot of the cool different stuff they did. But on the flip side you have re-interpetations of familiar things that get dragged down by new weird bulllshit or removed. Now obviously sonic boom had development issues , that's understatement. But that conflict was present in all of sonic boom media even the cartoon and that was the only peice of sonic boom content that was ok.

And those two perspectives sort of represent the two main categories sonic game failures fall into.

1) Something different, but they get scared and it changes and they start trying to glue familiar elements not to alienate people
2) Or something similar but they get scared its too much of the same and start trying to glue unfamiliar elements to try not to alienate people

And I feel it's a lot of number 2 with some number 1. " Hey remember classic sonic, adventure sonic oh hey you like boost right " and then doing weird things that aren't anything related to why people liked those things, or do not have the time , money or focus to actually exicute these things in a meaningful way. And recently the conflicting elements of sonic were just other sonic demographics crashing into each other. Things can't get enough time because these sonic fans need to be pleased.

Mania avoids this, it is a classic sonic game for those who want that, executed in fantastically. There is one foreign element and its often the thing people sight as of a few issues with the game.

I think sega wants to make a game that harkens back to the adventure times. Because theyw ant nostalgia money, its good money. The weirdo's who played adventure like me are now grown adults... with wallets and taxes. But if that's what they want, they have to commit. No classic sonic, no like trying to be modern self aware stuff. You need to make dumb anime game that takes its dumb anime shit seriously, it needs to have trick systems, you need multiple playable characters not a billion. But some. Maybe 3, shadow sonic and blaze maybe I dunno. It needs to be executed fantastically. It needs to be a focused, good product. And it will sell.

Commit to something do cool new things , have a new take on sonic adventure style stuff. I do not want sonic adventure the way it was, I don't .But if you want to give your new take, you have to commit to that. Because with mania existing, a shining pillar to " We just gave you what you want" you can't survive on just adventure references for long. You are going to have to do it.

Success

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that it is not being afraid but it comes down to them not knowing how to implement new ideas properly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about the mainline Sonic games prior to Colors, but they were a lot more interesting to talk about than much of what came after, especially the games that came out during that Dreamcast era.

I remember liking Lost World well enough when I played it but I kinda don't have any inclination to ever go back to it or reminisce about it much, beyond the idea of "slowing Sonic down a little and giving him some parkour moves might be a cool concept" outside of the fact that it wasn't executed to the potential it promised.

OP
OP
Village

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I remember liking Lost World well enough when I played it but I kinda don't have any inclination to ever go back to it or reminisce about it much, beyond the idea of "slowing Sonic down a little and giving him some parkour moves might be a cool concept" outside of the fact that it wasn't executed to the potential it promised.
Are you me? I didn't lost world, it felt..cynical. But I did think the same thing about how parkour could be cool, combined with like boost and an intricate trick system

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Their main problem seems to be that the only way Sonic has ever truly 'worked' in a 3D space is the boost formula (Adventure is just terrible and awful to play), and that style of gameplay gets extremely old very quick.

I honestly believe they'd be better off just sticking with 2D and focusing on art and level design (like Rayman).

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I blame the internet.

For so long, people said, "let me only play as Sonic!" and "don't fix what isn't broken!" Coming off the latter quote, people really did not know that stagnation in itself could cause problems as noted by Forces' mediocre Modern Sonic gameplay. Heck, it got so bad that SEGA ended up removing pretty much every Sonic game released prior to 2010 from stores shelves.

I think people didn't appreciate the creativity that came with Sonic games: what with Sonic Riders cool hoverboard concept that when understood was really fun and fluid, or Sonic Unleashed having an around-the-world theme which with its orchestral soundtrack made for a grand experience. Sure, these entries had problems, but I'd take these over games like Lost World and Forces which still had problems, but lacked any sort of creativity or heart.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is that Sonic simply won't work in 3D; the old games were at their best when they had their divergent, overlapping pathways where there is a)visibility about where these are and what obstacles they might involve and b)risk inherent in moving among them since gravity, the most basic foe in any platformer, might inadvertently force improvisation from a missed jump. Any 3D camera would necessarily make viewing pathways above and below Sonic largely impossible, and doubly so at the speed he moves at. While spreading out horizontally works in theory, the fact that gravity still works in the vertical means that flowing between these pathways isn't nearly as organic, risky or creative, which breaks up the level design, which then winds up never coming close.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They became afraid to shove mechanics in after the backlash they got for alternate playstyles in Adventure, 06 and Unleashed. Lost World being Lost World didn't help the cause either.

They need to take a step back and rethink how they're going to do everything. Maybe look at what people liked from every formula (i'd even say every entry) and truly understand why, don't just try to replicate it because then we'll end up with Forces: Adventure Formula edition. Someone mentioned Mario Odyssey already and while I don't think Nintendo should do it, they definitely need their next game to be the Mario Odyssey of Sonic.

OP
OP
Village

Village

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I blame the internet.

For so long, people said, "let me only play as Sonic!" and "don't fix what isn't broken!" Coming off the latter quote, people really did not know that stagnation in itself could cause problems as noted by Forces' mediocre Modern Sonic gameplay. Heck, it got so bad that SEGA ended up removing pretty much every Sonic game released prior to 2010 from stores shelves.

I think people didn't appreciate the creativity that came with Sonic games: what with Sonic Riders cool hoverboard concept that when understood was really fun and fluid, or Sonic Unleashed having an around-the-world theme which with its orchestral soundtrack made for a grand experience. Sure, these entries had problems, but I'd take these over games like Lost World and Forces which still had problems, but lacked any sort of creativity or heart.
I don't blame the internet . Simply put people like different things and have feelings about them. However as a giant corporation you should be able to parse out the criticism that has value. You should have enough money and resources to see a more nuanced view of the desires of your fanbase.Like for example, everyone complains about mishima's, shoto's , mortalkombat ninja's ect in their respective fighting games. Guess who gets played the most. You don't just get rid of all those arcetypes. You make sure theres enough spread out their release and then make sure there plenty of variant types of characters in your fighting games to appease those people as well. There will be a section of people who will always complain about the amount of a type of character , but if its working for your general fanbase. Then...who cares?

Sega took critcism that any other company worth their salt would have released was about implementation, at face value. And it didn't help. Infact the best sonic game in the past... a long ass time has playable friends in it. And two that formost people are basically new. I don't blame the internet, I blame the corporate decision making. I can't make Classicsonicfan84 to like what I like. But sega can interpret it better

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's too easy to chalk poor execution up to "they didn't try enough" or "it's fear of commitment" imo. After many 3D Sonics my feeling on the subject is that they're missing "method".

Clearly, the gameplay mechanics aren't all bad by principle or in implementation but their utilization of it is. Maybe a fear of commitment is sometimes part of that but let me just give a basic rundown of what I mean by "methodology":

In platformers you prime the player for the challenges in your level design. If there's a gap in the level where you can fall to your death, you teach the player to jump over it in a simple and safe scenario first, then let them go into the rest of the level where failing to jump is certainly "bad" to do, and make the player aware of this BEFORE getting thrown into it.

When you're making any type of game, you figure out the genre based on what primary actions you give the player. It could be some very known genre or you could be experimenting on new ground but whatever you do, you must never throw the player into this genre or situation, or throw them into the mechanics you've built for them. Very often Sonic does this, by providing you with key moves like dashing, spindashing, jumping and running really fast. Then, they start to figure out the themes of their levels, with act 1 always being some pretty basic biome stage and very straightforward level design... and yet these levels are often the most faultless parts. Why? They're aware you're new to the game in act 1, so they deliberately put in a bunch of "easy first timer" parts of the stage, which means you get to jump across and win if you haven't figured out the skill of the gameplay yet but if you have gotten the hang of it, you can grind extra points or take shortcuts for more satisfaction. There's no penalty to not nailing the skill, but as soon as you leave act 1 the penalty goes from going easy on the player to BOTTOMLESS PITS OF DOOM.

As soon as you leave the first stages in just about any Sonics, even the first one on Genesis, you start to enter what people would refer to as 'beginner's traps' where the developers forget to test the player with new gimmicks or mechanics before putting them into a trial of it. They throw you straight into the trials: Using homing attack to form a bridge across a wide gap. Having platforms falling into lava. Having to drift in order to stay on the fenceless sharp turn etc.

I find in so many Sonic games the levels after the "tutorial" stage are made in a way that's indicative that the level designers were too close to their own work - they are so hell-bent on creating an interesting challenge that they forget to prime it to the player. In a Mario game that would be where Mario has to do a triple jump to jump over tall catctuses until he reaches the star and wins the level, but Nintendo knows not to assume the player can adapt to do triple jumping even if it's the middle of the game. Therefore, they place 3 fences in the first part of the level: First fence is low, you can simply jump over it. Fence 2 is one and a half as tall, so you can trial-and-error until you nail the secondary, higher jump, and then the third is twice as tall as the first, so the player HAS to figure out the triple jump to get across it. This may actually take a minute or two, and if they get stumped there's a little bunny that keeps nodding to Mario before it starts hopping in a pattern that closely simulates the triple jump. The player knows to emulate what it does after a while and succeed. Now that they have succeeded they can take on the rest of the level, which requires a series of semi-precise triple jumping, and a few places where you can simple take the lowest jump but without gaining the extra comet coin or something.

In Sonic, they almost fail to do this on a constant basis. The game is really fun the third or fourth time you go through a level, once you've memorized it and know when to do stuff! There's so many ways they could avoid this problem by putting Sonic in halfpipes that keeps up the sense of speed and excitement but places you in a definitive limbo until you've learned to do homing attacks at buttons to open a door or whatever the level's gimmick is. But again, they almost never do these things, they resort to pausing the game with "Oh remember to press the JUMP button here!" or they have disembodied voices rambling over the concentration on the gameplay. It's pretty bad, even in the games that feel stylistically well made and seem technically polished.

Sonic Forces took the short way out, feeling like one of the most polished releases but relegating much of the gameplay to making levels so short and so streamlined that you just have to move forward to win sometimes, jumping over just basic gaps and basic enemies from start to finish, with a few curvatures and arbitrary loops along the way.

What Sonic Team needs is indeed commitment... To priming the player for the game's challenges before throwing them headfirst into one.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly Sonic is too fast in modern games. There's barely any proper momentum anymore.

You could probably get away with gameplay more akin to the 3D Mario games, albeit at a slightly faster pace.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think their core problem is something Superbunnyhop said once and that is making a fast moving 3D platformer is super hard and requires a lot more effort than it's honestly worth. The Adventure games are good for their time but a modern execution of that would fail without substantial changes that I don't even think Sega would figure out, the boost games are great but are harder to control and don't have a lot of potential for pure platforming (don't ask me how Generations pulled it off) and Lost World has honestly the best base but people seem to not like that so that's now thrown out the window. That's coupled with the fact no one can agree on a good, consistent vision for the series and you got a hot mess on top of no other games doing high speed platforming so there's not even anything to take inspiration from so Sonic Team is left on their own.

Honestly I don't know how many more times there needs to be to convince everyone that a 3D Sonic game just isn't going to work especially going forward as the series continues to increasingly be seen as pure 90s nostalgia at best and an absolute joke at worst.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame the internet . Simply put people like different things and have feelings about them. However as a giant corporation you should be able to parse out the criticism that has value. You should have enough money and resources to see a more nuanced view of the desires of your fanbase.Like for example, everyone complains about mishima's, shoto's , mortalkombat ninja's ect in their respective fighting games. Guess who gets played the most. You don't just get rid of all those arcetypes. You make sure theres enough spread out their release and then make sure there plenty of variant types of characters in your fighting games to appease those people as well. There will be a section of people who will always complain about the amount of a type of character , but if its working for your general fanbase. Then...who cares?

Sega took critcism that any other company worth their salt would have released was about implementation, at face value. And it didn't help. Infact the best sonic game in the past... a long ass time has playable friends in it. And two that formost people are basically new. I don't blame the internet, I blame the corporate decision making. I can't make Classicsonicfan84 to like what I like. But sega can interpret it better

That's fair, and you're right. I think the difference though to the examples that you gave is that the internet was REALLY vocal during the late 2000s about this stuff. People who didn't even care about the franchise would even say these things just because it was the popular thing to do. There were reviews of these games that would praise a lot of their aspects, then criticize a couple of small things, then give the games a 2 out of 10 as if they were unplayable.

It was very overwhelming and unnecessary. I imagine SEGA saw just that and took that direction with Colors and Generations, and combined with the praise for those titles, they just kept that model going without making any changes.

OP
OP
Village

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's too easy to chalk poor execution up to "they didn't try enough" or "it's fear of commitment" imo. After many 3D Sonics my feeling on the subject is that they're missing "method".

Clearly, the gameplay mechanics aren't all bad by principle or in implementation but their utilization of it is. Maybe a fear of commitment is sometimes part of that but let me just give a basic rundown of what I mean by "methodology":

When you're making any type of game, you figure out the genre based on what primary actions you give the player. It could be some very known genre or you could be experimenting on new ground but whatever you do, you must never throw the player into this genre or situation, or throw them into the mechanics you've built for them. Very often Sonic does this, by providing you with key moves like dashing, spindashing, jumping and running really fast. Then, they start to figure out the themes of their levels, with act 1 always being some pretty basic biome stage and very straightforward level design... and yet these levels are often the most faultless parts. Why? They're aware you're new to the game in act 1, so they deliberately put in a bunch of "easy first timer" parts of the stage, which means you get to jump across and win if you haven't figured out the skill of the gameplay yet but if you have gotten the hang of it, you can grind extra points or take shortcuts for more satisfaction. There's no penalty to not nailing the skill, but as soon as you leave act 1 the penalty goes from going easy on the player to BOTTOMLESS PITS OF DOOM.

As soon as you leave the first stages in just about any Sonics, even the first one on Genesis, you start to enter what people would refer to as 'beginner's traps' where the developers forget to test the player with new gimmicks or mechanics before putting them into a trial of it. They throw you straight into the trials: Using homing attack to form a bridge across a wide gap. Having platforms falling into lava. Having to drift in order to stay on the fenceless sharp turn etc.

I find in so many Sonic games the levels after the "tutorial" stage are made in a way that's indicative that the level designers were too close to their own work - they are so hell-bent on creating an interesting challenge that they forget to prime it to the player. In a Mario game that would be where Mario has to do a triple jump to jump over tall catctuses until he reaches the star and wins the level, but Nintendo knows not to assume the player can adapt to do triple jumping even if it's the middle of the game. Therefore, they place 3 fences in the first part of the level: First fence is low, you can simply jump over it. Fence 2 is one and a half as tall, so you can trial-and-error until you nail the secondary, higher jump, and then the third is twice as tall as the first, so the player HAS to figure out the triple jump to get across it. This may actually take a minute or two, and if they get stumped there's a little bunny that keeps nodding to Mario before it starts hopping in a pattern that closely simulates the triple jump. The player knows to emulate what it does after a while and succeed. Now that they have succeeded they can take on the rest of the level, which requires a series of semi-precise triple jumping, and a few places where you can simple take the lowest jump but without gaining the extra comet coin or something.

In Sonic, they almost fail to do this on a constant basis. The game is really fun the third or fourth time you go through a level, once you've memorized it and know when to do stuff! There's so many ways they could avoid this problem by putting Sonic in halfpipes that keeps up the sense of speed and excitement but places you in a definitive limbo until you've learned to do homing attacks at buttons to open a door or whatever the level's gimmick is. But again, they almost never do these things, they resort to pausing the game with "Oh remember to press the JUMP button here!" or they have disembodied voices rambling over the concentration on the gameplay. It's pretty bad, even in the games that feel stylistically well made and seem technically polished.

Sonic Forces took the short way out, feeling like one of the most polished releases but relegating much of the gameplay to making levels so short and so streamlined that you just have to move forward to win sometimes, jumping over just basic gaps and basic enemies from start to finish, with a few curvatures and arbitrary loops along the way.

What Sonic Team needs is indeed commitment... To priming the player for the game's challenges before throwing them headfirst into one.
I want to be clear here, i'm not saying they didn't try hard .Video games are hard to make, and sonic team is often rushed to the finish so to speak. And that's stressful, however I would argue some of the things you are arguing like for example, with forces is because it wasn't focused around that. Even back during development with sonic wars was a different game focused around the avatar. The focus wasn't these sonic stages , it was the avatar's stuff. I fully believe a game focused around boost and that type of platforming could be great. Something that properly prepares you for what's coming. But its that focus that's the problem. They can't do that. Classic sonic needs to be here for those people, and oooh what about this new weird thing that has nothing to do with what they are doing.

That's what I mean by afraid of commuting to something. Because if sonic team sat down, thought about what makes whatever sonic they are trying to aim for fun. And just made a game around just that... it would be be good. It just gets obfuscated. This is a problem they have had since...2005

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that Sonic simply won't work in 3D; the old games were at their best when they had their divergent, overlapping pathways where there is a)visibility about where these are and what obstacles they might involve and b)risk inherent in moving among them since gravity, the most basic foe in any platformer, might inadvertently force improvisation from a missed jump. Any 3D camera would necessarily make viewing pathways above and below Sonic largely impossible, and doubly so at the speed he moves at. While spreading out horizontally works in theory, the fact that gravity still works in the vertical means that flowing between these pathways isn't nearly as organic, risky or creative, which breaks up the level design, which then winds up never coming close.
/thread

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I liked the idea of Sonic Lost World, a 3D Sonic game that takes inspiration from the classic Sonic game, just like Sonic Adventure did. The execution was piss-poor, though.
don't ask me how Generations pulled it off
It didn't really pull it off, the platforming was mediocre at best with Sonic's physics being designed for speed, but the platforming sections were unobtrusive enough that they didn't detract too much from the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Classic sonic needs to be here for those people, and oooh what about this new weird thing that has nothing to do with what they are doing.
For sure, they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. Sonic has sort of entered a retirement era in recent years where he's "going back to roots" but clearly simply going to the past won't be enough or it won't be a new enough game, so they're struggling with pandering to nostalgia while thinking about new ways to make the brand interesting.

OP
OP
Village

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The Adventure games are good for their time but a modern execution of that would fail without substantial changes that I don't even think Sega would figure out,
I would like to say I am of the opinion that sonic team should just be a brand, manageing arm, and sonic games should kind of just be made by other studios. But I think that premise in detail is another thread to itself, I just wanna say you might be right here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I've never understood this line of thinking. Up until the widescreen ports, we were somehow okay with playing classic Sonic games on CRTs and 4:3 resolution. The window space Sonic games had to work with were already not good, especially in Sonic 2 which had more than its fair share of level design that had a few "fuck you" traps strewn in some of its levels. Yet we played those games and we loved them, knowing that going fast made it impossible to anticipate obstacles without memorizing the level. That's an obstacle that's way less of an issue in 3D, where the games only suffer because of the self-imposed problem they've inflicted of making Sonic too damn fast and unrestrained, but at least in several of the slightly slower Sonic games, including the Adventure games, obstacles are usually easy to anticipate.

The only challenge they face is reassessing how to build levels. Mario solved this in its shift to 3D by making wider levels where most of the difficulty didn't stem from enemy placements but the level terrain's elevation (traditionally in 2D Mario games you go left to right, but in Super Mario 64 most of the difficult levels forced you to go up). You can make alternate paths in 3D Sonic games, they've even done some pretty good ones in the boost games - albeit binary ones - it just requires a different approach to level design, and also the mechanics of Sonic themselves. You already had some good ideas in Adventure; several levels included some completely arbitrary, but still mechanics conscious pathways for those who knew how to work the mechanics. Twinkle Park in particular is a standout where you can skip chunks of the level entirely if you utilize some of the geometry and physics correctly, and they knew about this going in given how several levels like Speed Highway have hidden bonus items in areas that have you do precisely those kinds of tricks.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The way Sega/Sonic Team operates there won't be another 3D Sonic game that's widely accepted as great nor as a meme.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood this line of thinking. Up until the widescreen ports, we were somehow okay with playing classic Sonic games on CRTs and 4:3 resolution. The window space Sonic games had to work with were already not good, especially in Sonic 2 which had more than its fair share of level design that had a few "fuck you" traps strewn in some of its levels. Yet we played those games and we loved them, knowing that going fast made it impossible to anticipate obstacles without memorizing the level. That's an obstacle that's way less of an issue in 3D, where the games only suffer because of the self-imposed problem they've inflicted of making Sonic too damn fast and unrestrained, but at least in several of the slightly slower Sonic games, including the Adventure games, obstacles are usually easy to anticipate.

The only challenge they face is reassessing how to build levels. Mario solved this in its shift to 3D by making wider levels where most of the difficulty didn't stem from enemy placements but the level terrain's elevation (traditionally in 2D Mario games you go left to right, but in Super Mario 64 most of the difficult levels forced you to go up). You can make alternate paths in 3D Sonic games, they've even done some pretty good ones in the boost games - albeit binary ones - it just requires a different approach to level design, and also the mechanics of Sonic themselves. You already had some good ideas in Adventure; several levels included some completely arbitrary, but still mechanics conscious pathways for those who knew how to work the mechanics. Twinkle Park in particular is a standout where you can skip chunks of the level entirely if you utilize some of the geometry and physics correctly, and they knew about this going in given how several levels like Speed Highway have hidden bonus items in areas that have you do precisely those kinds of tricks.
The camera was too close then it's true, but there was still some semblance of understanding your position in the stack. A 3D camera makes this virtually impossible in the vertical sense; far, far more than even the worst 2D camera, and the bigger question remains the immutable verticality of gravity and it's effect on organic accidental path transfer. We just don't have that kind of flow anymore.

I mean, even if that *was* somehow solveable, and I don't see how it is, I also don't see how this wouldn't lead to levels where either a)they spread out in a few rigid, linear directions at a time, only overlapping at boringly pre-designated points instead of allowing for freeform transfer, accidental or otherwise (putting aside that this accidental transfer is part of the appeal in navigating the older games) OR b)huge swaths of bland empty space because there can't be intricate level design in every possible direction at all times when you add an extra dimension, especially so at any sort of high speed (Sonic navigates space at a very large range of speeds).

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It would be good if Sonic Mania removes the 2D gameplay crutch Sonic games have relied on.

I think it's a lack of confidence fueled by, as highlighted by the OP, rushed titles. If you have the experience of Sonic '06 that has to be a cloud looming over any project. So you have these Sonic games that just don't fully commit to a cohesive gameplay core.

I do think they should just approach translating classic Sonic to 3D - I'd like to see something at the Sonic Mania scope. At its simplest you're dealing with a faster, wider Crash Bandicoot, and translating in racing game concepts like alternate routes and shortcuts. I think what they're lacking in all their attempts is a solid foothold on how Classic Sonic gameplay would adapt to 3D, and so they're spinning their wheels exploring gimmicks on a formula that wasn't ever clearly established.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to say I am of the opinion that sonic team should just be a brand, manageing arm, and sonic games should kind of just be made by other studios. But I think that premise in detail is another thread to itself, I just wanna say you might be right here.
But who?

At the end of the day there's no one with the experience to make a high speed platformer or maintain at least a somewhat coherent vision quite like Sonic Team and anybody who comes in would most likely disrupt that in a bad way like how Boom turned out. It's not like Christian Whitehead's situation where he was working on 2D Sonic games basically throughout his life so he had the experience to pull it off. There is literally zero competition or demand for the high speed 3D platformer so no one has enough experience to pull it off. Even then considering Sonic Team's seemingly high turnover rate and what happened to Big Red Button, who would make something like that at this point.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
Of all the 3D games' styles I'd like them to try again Heroes is definitely at the top for me. This may be because it was one of my first games, but I feel like having 2 or 3 characters to switch between could work perfectly as a way to pace the gameplay out a bit without losing the fast sonic sections and include lots of different characters (which I know some of the fanbase loves).

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The argument that "Sonic just doesn't work in 3D" is such a tired trope, and comes from such a blatant misunderstanding that it's hard for me to understand why it's still so widely cited like it's just some fact of the universe. Sonic Robo Blast 2 has been a thing since the last millennia, and has proved that Sonic *can* work in 3D for quite literally two decades now. No, it's not that Sonic "just doesn't work in 3D" - it's, quite frankly, that Sonic Team have never been great at getting any platformer to work in 3D.

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg was another 3D platformer that Sonic Team developed, around the same time as Sonic Adventure 1/2 and Sonic Heroes. It's a decidedly slower-paced platformer - one of the reasons that people cite as why Sonic won't work in 3D is, of course, how fast the Blue Blur has to move in order to "feel right" - but shares many of the same design shortcomings that plague the official 3D Sonic titles that Sonic Team themselves have put out. Bottomless pits, an abundance of spikes, odd control issues... the whole nine yards.

I don't want to say that Sonic Team are incompetent developers - they're not. They obviously have made some very impressive 2D platformers, and their work on the Phantasy Star Online and Puyo Puyo series are all great. Not to mention that a lot of the Sonic Team, err, team also worked on Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure, one of the best 3DS games nobody actually played. They just never got a handle on 3D platformers, it doesn't mean that Sonic in 3D is a lost cause by any stretch of the imagination, however.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly they should just stop with 3D Sonic. They kinda fucking suck at it and are far better at other types of games. Give 3D Sonic to someone else because Sonic Team doesn't "get it".

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Take adventure 2, remove all levels apart from sonic and shadow fix the camera and tighten the controls. Have chao garden and big the cat fishing mini game! Job done

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
IMO the answer lies in copying super mario 3d world but making it a lot faster, its pseudo 2d 3d gameplay benefits the speed of sonic and momentum a lot better than most 3d sonic games.

or at least try to make it different.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I still think that Colors is the best modern Sonic game because it was more platformer-y instead of simply being a "gotta go fast" simulator, and it had a simple, fun gimmick that worked well for what it was.

I never played Lost World, but based on what I've seen, I feel like they were moving in the right direction by taking inspiration from Mario, they just fucked it up with horrendous execution. Sonic Team should try that again imo, they'd probably have a pretty good game if they could get it right.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Village, I will read this long-ass rant in its entirety when I have more time later, but from what I read I entirely agree with you, and props to you for typing all of that.

Sonic Adventure 3/Mania 2 are all I want out of this franchise

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Colors is still the best controlling 3D Sonic to me. and it's largely because they slowed Sonic down

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the answer lies in copying super mario 3d world but making it a lot faster, its pseudo 2d 3d gameplay benefits the speed of sonic and momentum a lot better than most 3d sonic games.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I agree largely with Jakisthe that translating Sonic's 2D gameplay to 3D is impossible - or at the very least bullshittingly difficult. But using a 3D perspective similar to 3D World / 3D Land sounds like it could work, to a certain degree.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This.

Good level design + a 3D World-esque approach to Sonic would be a perfect direction to take the series in. The biggest hurdle would be whether Sonic Team could actually nail the level design, and sadly, I really wouldn't have much confidence in them.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey was made by ex Sonic Team members who worked on Sonic Generations
Who? I'm not seeing any crossover in the credits-
www.mobygames.com

Super Mario Odyssey credits (Nintendo Switch, 2017) - MobyGames

The official game credits for Super Mario Odyssey released on Nintendo Switch in 2017. The credits include 341 people.
www.mobygames.com

Sonic: Generations credits (PlayStation 3, 2011) - MobyGames

The official game credits for Sonic: Generations released on PlayStation 3 in 2011. The credits include 573 people.

I google searched and found this on twitter-

In that thread he links a picture of this post here on Resetera by a banned member , but only a field artist from the Sonic Unleashed team listed there worked on art for Odyssey-
www.mobygames.com

Makoto Yonezu - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Makoto Yonezu - MobyGames

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The argument that "Sonic just doesn't work in 3D" is such a tired trope, and comes from such a blatant misunderstanding that it's hard for me to understand why it's still so widely cited like it's just some fact of the universe. Sonic Robo Blast 2 has been a thing since the last millennia, and has proved that Sonic *can* work in 3D for quite literally two decades now. No, it's not that Sonic "just doesn't work in 3D" - it's, quite frankly, that Sonic Team have never been great at getting any platformer to work in 3D.

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg was another 3D platformer that Sonic Team developed, around the same time as Sonic Adventure 1/2 and Sonic Heroes. It's a decidedly slower-paced platformer - one of the reasons that people cite as why Sonic won't work in 3D is, of course, how fast the Blue Blur has to move in order to "feel right" - but shares many of the same design shortcomings that plague the official 3D Sonic titles that Sonic Team themselves have put out. Bottomless pits, an abundance of spikes, odd control issues... the whole nine yards.

I don't want to say that Sonic Team are incompetent developers - they're not. They obviously have made some very impressive 2D platformers, and their work on the Phantasy Star Online and Puyo Puyo series are all great. Not to mention that a lot of the Sonic Team, err, team also worked on Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure, one of the best 3DS games nobody actually played. They just never got a handle on 3D platformers, it doesn't mean that Sonic in 3D is a lost cause by any stretch of the imagination, however.
Sonic Robo Blast and Billy Thatcher are both poor stand-in for how Sonic worked in 2D. The question is not speed, it's the camera and the layering of pathing in relation to gravity.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Who? I'm not seeing any crossover in the credits-
www.mobygames.com

Super Mario Odyssey credits (Nintendo Switch, 2017) - MobyGames

The official game credits for Super Mario Odyssey released on Nintendo Switch in 2017. The credits include 341 people.
www.mobygames.com

Sonic: Generations credits (PlayStation 3, 2011) - MobyGames

The official game credits for Sonic: Generations released on PlayStation 3 in 2011. The credits include 573 people.
Got the details wrong, it wasn't Generations and Odyssey, it was Unleashed/Generations and various other Nintendo projects

Although I swear there were some people who worked at Sonic Team who did in fact work on Mario Odyssey

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

I mean, I hear this a lot but SA2's Speed levels were genuinely amazing and I replay them to this day. City Escape trumps a lot of 2D levels and Metal Harbor is still rad as hell.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Got the details wrong, it wasn't Generations and Odyssey, it was Unleashed/Generations and various other Nintendo projects.

Although I swear there were some people who worked at Sonic Team who did in fact work on Mario Odyssey
Yeah I did some digging and updated my post only to see you had already responded with the same link I found. It's all cool.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I just wanted to say that good 3d sonic already exists, except it isn't about sonic, but about balls with momentum. Its called marble blast ultra and it is great.

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
I agree with a lot of the OP. commitment and vision have been issues. Of course, everyone has a subjective take and the fandom has always been one of the more divisive in what they like and hate. It's one of those things where they really haven't had the budget they used to, the dev time and seemingly the talent behind them. I really want them to pull it together and shine.

Quite honestly thinking about it though, Sonic team isn't a persistent monolithic group. There seems to always be talk about how many new green members are being brought in and how many old names are either gone or the names come up of the couple who come back at a time. I think that has been an issue for the mainline games at times to. They do seem to keep reinventing the wheel because of it on top of a lot of uncertainty between devs and execs. I kinda agree that Adventure 1 feels like the last really full fledged classic Sonic game out there and the most fleshed out other than maybe Generations.

Thinking of the older games though. The 2.5d ones can be perfect on their own. Colors, really Unleashed day stages done as a full fairly streamlined game. Liked it. Bare bones story is a bad trend that carried forward a bit and showcased a lot of what the 2.5d games stood for. Generations perfected it. Forces kinda felt like a bad chop job in comparison. It seems a good deal of the fanbase did enjoy them and the hedgehog engine though. If the wearhog wasnt done as so bad of an idea and unleashed did better I doubt we would be where we are now, though I doubt colors or generations would have been changed much.

Lost World and parkour wasnt in any way a bad control style for me. Love to see that style in a more open world with improved momentum physics in the future. Way to many mario Galaxy vibes, kinda made me snicker as Xtreme in a way had a spiritual release eventually after all. I think the low sales seemed to sour them on originality. They went back to what was more safe. Kinda hate and agree with OP about moving forward and doing new things.

Boom. 360 game development downgraded to wii as part of an exclusivity agreement if I remember right. Rushing hamstrings everyone. At least it lead to a great cartoon. Forces, feels like an oc spinoff game that was rushed with Sonic which was what I think the behind the scenes story was. I think if this stuff was more well handled there would be less of an issue to.

Mania shows they hired the perfect people for 2d and I hope for some real amazing games in the future with collaborations. Sonic Utopia and Spark the Electric Jester 2 show how such gameplay could be handled in the 3d space alternatively with the more classic and adventure styles respectively. At least we see it's doable.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I think Sega needs to experiment with the 3D formula using downloadable games. Something like 4-stage level packs exploring a different mechanic, so that they can fish for something that works without committing a massive amount of time and budget to it. There are a lot of ways they could do it, and the problem is Sonic Team finds things that work in fairly limited circumstances but run dry when you try to make an entire game around them.

Oct 27, 2017
Modern Sonic's problem is kids. Kids want the shitty friends, the angst and the boost gameplay and Sonic Team will keep making games for those kids until they stop selling.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space

That's a great idea and could work really well. I also loved the levels that had a lot of boosts pad in them as well, there's a lot they could do with a formula like that either way.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
you're right
they're scared to do their own thing, which is why they keep pandering to nostalgia
they're also scared to hire actual game designers what the fuck is up with sonic forces

OP
OP
Village

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Modern Sonic's problem is kids. Kids want the shitty friends, the angst and the boost gameplay and Sonic Team will keep making games for those kids until they stop selling.
The reason why this take is kinda dumb.

Is that i'm a grown ass man. I was a child in the early 00's and i'm a grown ass man. Not just kids like the adventure era stuff adults nostalgic for that stuff like it to. The idea that the problem is children and not kids just happens to like things I like is strange. Even with stuff like to boost gameplay its been a while since that stuff started. it started in 08 that's that's still 11 years the people who grew up with that are probably in their teens. Yes children are a market but the idea that they are the sole market for the stuff you don't like is reductionist rude, and just ignorant of reality.

This is ontop of treating what is most likely the primary demo for this franchise as a " problem "