• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
How is Sonic still popular? Not a good game in years? How do "the kids" know about this character? Insane!
Congrats Sonic, I guess :))
Sonic has mobile games, he has/had? a cartoon show very recently, he's been a mainstay in Smash Bros for awhile now. Also kids are not likely to care as much about the quality of Sonic games as 20-30 year old gamers do. Whether it's Lost World, Boom or Forces, I'm not sure if most kids are going to play it and be like "The Sonic brand is so inconsistent in quality. Sonic was never good."

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Aside from the avatar bet, the whole Sonic vs. Detective Pikachu thing here is very strange to me given that they're going to end up very close to each other in the end. Sonic will probably have a smaller international gross.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & Knuckles when?
If they don't call the sequel that it's a crime.
if they don't have a small cameo from Dante, from the devil mat cry series
My bet is my bet is the echidnas are hunting sonirc because he took the master emerald. Of course it's eggman actually doing it and the 3 stop him.

But an after credits scene with a certain bat confirms confirms a "ultimate lifeform project".

It'll draw I swear.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Amazing. Good sign for video game movies.

I think Pikachu was waaaaay better still. But hey. Maybe next time they'll actually put Pokemon in their movie title.

Oct 28, 2017
God I hate the floss so hard.

Part of me wanted to die when I saw Sonic do it in the theater.
I'd never heard of "the floss" before this movie. People kept talking about Sonic flossing and I assumed it was actual flossing so I was surprised and confused when there was no such scene in the movie. Eventually I realised people are talking about some dance. Further examination of YouTube comments leads me to believe this is some sort of Fortnite thing?

To sum up: I'm old

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Im saying usually people rag on nostalgia baiting and IP abuse ie. the soulless Live Action Disney remakes, but when its games it seems to be this weird competition over box office results.
It's tied directly to certain crowds' needs to have video games taken seriously. The fact that every video game adaptation ranks somewhere between inoffensively mediocre and outright garbage bruises them.

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely stands along those two games. Saying it's not even "close" to them is insane.

Nah, it has really poor high-middle-low level layout, IMO, especially in the stuff that's not remixed. Press Garden, for example, feels unstructured, like there aren't defined paths that you can switch between.

BTW, saying that it's not close to 2 or 3+K isn't meant as an insult because I think 2 and 3+K are G.O.A.T. level and Mania is merely quite good. I'd put Mania at Sonic 1 level myself, and that's not a bad thing. Sonic 1 is a really good game!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's tied directly to certain crowds' needs to have video games taken seriously. The fact that every video game adaptation ranks somewhere between inoffensively mediocre and outright garbage bruises them.

Games are already so very mainstream/taken seriously. Same with live action anime adaptations where i don't need my interests validated by box office success, nor is that indicative of quality itself or the likelihood of a better sequel.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never heard of "the floss" before this movie. People kept talking about Sonic flossing and I assumed it was actual flossing so I was surprised and confused when there was no such scene in the movie. Eventually I realised people are talking about some dance. Further examination of YouTube comments leads me to believe this is some sort of Fortnite thing?

To sum up: I'm old

People who hate the dance will also love the fact that it wasn't originally there, and was apparently added after the trailer showing Sonic's redesign.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
To be fair, there's been a few blunders in that department as well.

Sonic Underground is the one Sonic cartoon that's basically irredeemable trash, and the "longest running comic book based on a franchise" eventually went up in flames, no thanks to You-Know-Who.

But I guess outside of that, yeah, it's a better track record than a lot of the games lol
To be fair, Underground came and went very quickly. The fact that it still rocked the classic Sonic aesthetic (complete with the DiC Robotnik design that Sega of America kept pushing inexplicably since he never looked like that in any of the video games) when the rest of the franchise was moving towards the Adventure look probably made it easy enough to let it slip into the background.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on the other hand stuck around for years, Toon Disney was still playing reruns of it in the early '00s, and then Sonic X kind of took up the mantle as a Saturday morning staple. Years after they stopped producing new episodes it still regularly earned the highest ratings on whatever cartoon block was hosting it at the time (admittedly a dying enterprise), streaming had high engagement, etc.

As for the comic books... yeah, the Penders lawsuit was a black eye, but it managed to survive for several years in spite of that, and then when it finally was canceled they moved over to IDW almost immediately with essentially the same crew. Even with the Archieverse dead and buried, the Freedom Fighters are still fan favorite characters who the creators are trying to bring back, and I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually succeed. The fact that you had a licensed comic go on for 24 years and still have that legacy will never not be impressive.

I understand a lot of this flies under peoples' radar, Sonic is a kid-focused series and that's who this stuff is marketed to, but the series has never really been in danger of fading into obscurity, it's pretty much always had some kind of media keeping interest levels high. I wish Sega would give it another shot as an AAA franchise with that level of budget, maybe the movie will give it a boost.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People who hate the dance will also love the fact that it wasn't originally there, and was apparently added after the trailer showing Sonic's redesign.

Wtf is he even saying in that scene? he has a big tank zero?
either way that's a downgrade. Its like a committee decision based on whats trending with the youth.

Last edited:

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Makes kinda sense when you think about it. Detective Pikachu was mainly made to appease already existing Pokemon fans, while this sonic movie has more mainstream appeal.

I'm also quite sure Jim Carrey's presence added a lot to those numbers

SONofZARDOZ

Nov 26, 2019
I took my sons and really enjoyed it, it was a ton of fun. Will be happy to go see the sequel as soon as it comes out because of how well it's setup at the end of this one.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

It was always there, the leaked plot synopsis from before even the first trailer came out said flossing was in the movie. That trailer scene is just the dance he does when he gets his shoes transplanted into a different enviroment. See also: the shots of Teen Sonic running in the desert that were put into Green Hill Zone just for the trailer.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Some people here thought that Detective Pikachu would reach 1 fucking billion because of the Pokémon ip, but the thing is: that wasn't Pokémon - The Live Action Movie. It was Detective Pikachu.
Still, super impressive performance for Sonic. Shows just how evergreen that desing is. Also how many teenagers would like to see Shadow having sex with Shrek.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I would love to know what would have happened if they did not redo the design of sonic lol.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm a huge Pokémon fan, and I did like Detective Pikachu's story overall, but I'll never forgive them for making such horrible representation of the Pokémon with that hyper-realistic look. Seriously, the way people felt about the original Sonic design, that's exactly how I felt and still feel about the Pokémon in the Detective Pikachu movie.

But anyways, since I'm apparently the only one that feels like this about the Pokémon in Detective Pikachu, I think Sonic earning more money it's a combination of the first live action Pokémon movied being based on an obscure spin off game rather than the mainline games or at least the anime, and that Sonic became a story of success everyone wanted to be part of, or at least to witness the final product of such story with a happy ending (except for that studio that had to shut down :s )

Heck, if the Pokémon movie was based on Pokémon Go instead, I bet more people would've gone to see it lol

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We go tomorrow because of Nostalgia.

And Sonic has been in a lot of trash, but keeps appearing everywhere. He's one of the most recognizable faces in gaming. People old and young know about Sonic. What he and Sega need is a good game. Ofcourse Mania 2 would be excellent, but also a good so called Triple A game. Perhaps one day if a competent team gets to work on it.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hell has literally frozen over. A video game movie....that's good? Honestly it's really good that Jeff Fowler who listened to feedback and acted upon it by making that decision to change sonic's design for the better gets rewarded for it by the critical and financial success of the movie. That literally made the movie for me especially considering how much screen time he got. This could've been yet another horrible video game adapted movie to sweep under the rug, but that change really made this movie great. Huge bravo to Jeff Fowler for making that critical decision to make the movie better. A great and fun movie I thought.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This is crazy. Sonic has been past his heyday since the 90s and yet this movie is successful... somehow. Defies all logic, but then again, this is Trump's America.

It's no even remotely crazy. Sonic has a classic design that appeals to children. It's got an animated main character with a lot of personality that communicated well in trailers. Sonic also has appeal and curiosity from older generations / parents going out to see the movie. Literally nothing about this movie doing decently is crazy, lol.

Sonic as a character is far from past his heyday, unless you're speaking specifically (and exclusively) to the quality of the video games. His design and appeal though? Still very healthy and alive.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Have not seen the movie yet; is there any hope that the sequel will move on from the "what if video game happened in real life?!" formula? Like, can the sequel take place in Sonic's dimension or whatever?
It's very possible. They set up a story and setting that features the following:

• Eggman stuck in on a mushroom planet
  • Tails existing and searching for Sonic
I'd say it's very likely.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the movie was really good. Yeah, it could have been better and a bit longer, but I was pretty damn impressed with how good it was. Theatre I went to was also packed to the brim with families. They just did a great job with it. I remember the other threads where people were saying this was going to be a train wreck, but as it turns out it is actually pretty good and it doing 70m is short of amazing for a Sonic or any game related movie.

A new Sonic Adventure game needs to be made...take your time with it Sega, perhaps have it ready for the sequel of the Movie.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting two relevant posts on why I think Sonic has stayed popular and why it's doing better than Detective Pikachu from the other thread:

Sonic has stayed relevant for a few reasons in my eyes.

01. Sonic has an incredibly appealing design. One of the smartest things Sonic Team ever did was make a design somewhere between cool, cute and simple so it'd be easy to draw for kids. A lot of kids can just see Sonic's design and want to know more about him. I sincerely think a big reason the Sonic brand has stayed so alive for 30 years is because of Sonic's character design.

02. Sonic has had successes outside of gaming. Sonic Boom was surprisingly popular with kids, Sonic was in both Wreck-It Ralph films, Sonic is known by kids by Youtubers and the like as well who do gaming stuff, the Sonic comics were for a long time the best selling kids comics, Sonic X recently has been popular on Netflix on their top viewed stuff and been sitting there, Sonic merchandise is available in places. Sonic's cartoons have proven popular, again Sonic Boom on Cartoon Network popular, Sonic X on Netflix is doing great numbers too, etc.

03. The older games are still present and plenty of parents still have Sonic games for their kids to play. Plus the newer games haven't been bombs specifically either, just there's been a lack of recent Sonic games in the last 8 years. I think honestly there's probably kids who play his older games for one reason or another. The mobile game downloads for Sonic have also stayed very high, Sonic's found success on mobile. You also can play most older Sonic games on like every streaming game platform, on a lot of mini-consoles, etc. Also all of those Mario & Sonic Olympics games did pretty well.

04. The internet. I kinda' touched on this in point 2, but I need to emphasize Sonic has a presence online. Almost everyone on the internet knows who Sonic the Hedgehog is, Hell I say "Almost" since I feel not everyone can, but I've never met anyone who had no idea who Sonic was. Sonic memes, Let's Plays, cameo appearances, fucking ice cream bars, Sonic I think might've actually been saved by his presence online and just in various outlets in pop culture because everyone fucking knows who Sonic the Hedgehog is. Add to that he has an appealing design and things in various fields to check out, and I think that's part of how he's stayed relevant. I think people making jokes about Sonic and memes, people "ironically" or unrionically doing Let's Plays of his games, Sonic being a character who often comes up with video game discussion, his presence in the Super smash Bros games, his cameos in everything from Wreck-It Ralph to Hatsune Miku stuff, has kept people knowing who Sonic is, and I think becoming aware of him kids may then see he has a cool design and go check out stuff he's been in. I think that's honestly the core of what's been happening, Sonic continues to be talked about and appears in things, and he has an appealing design that leads to kids finding him.

I think a few aspects that benefit the Sonic film also:

-Detective Pikachu kinda' undersold itself because it comes off like a spin-off with the concept, like it doesn't seem like a "core" Pokemon movie. The Sonic movie I think comes off pretty simply it's "Sonic the Movie". I don't think Detective Pikachu came off as clear to casual audiences it was "Pokemon the Movie". That does mean something I think to audiences the sorta' weight to a film.
-Detective Pikachu I'd say isn't as much of an "All-Ages" film, it is technically but the content within with the crime noir events going on isn't quite as appealing to children. Sonic meanwhile I think more clearly is a film for all ages, helped a bit the plot premise is similar to some other children films in the last decade, and I think has more in it that children and adults can enjoy. It's appealing to a broader audience.
-Jim Carry. This is his first big role in years, many have affinity for the actor. I know a lot of older people who are checking out this film simply because Jim Carry is in it and hasn't been in films for years. One big benefit the Sonic movie has going for it is Jim Carry and he decided to be in this movie after a multiple year hiatus. It also helps he delivers a performance very much like his earlier zanier work. This isn't helping the movie do better in the box office, but I'll also add that the human characters in the Sonic movie are much, much better than the human characters in Detective Pikachu.
-As many are pointing out, the delay to February was a smart move because the Sonic movie is competing with very little else for the next few weeks.
-I think the Sonic movie had better marketing. Between the actual commercial advertising budget, and the film did manage to generate buzz and trend on Twitter and such multiple times due to the design shenanigans which even ultimately turned into positive buzz even if it was negative at the start. I know this is a weird barometer to use, but the controversy lead to things like talk shows talking about the Sonic movie, when Detective Pikachu didn't have the same benefit.

Now it is to be seen how the movies legs work and how it does domestically. I do think the Sonic movie is set to perform better than Detective Pikachu in the states and the West, but I also don't think the Sonic IP is as big as it is in China or the like. Really it's going to be up to how the movie does domestically eventually to if it'll gross more than Detective Pikachu or not.
I think more than just being a movie that stays true to its roots compared to Pikachu, Sonic just has an infinitely easier to translate premise. The basic gist of Sonic being a super powered individual who fights a technocratic mad scientist is ostensibly a super hero plot, and for the last decade we've been inundated with those, making the timing absolutely perfect for a Sonic film. Even if you made Pokémon's first live action outing more similar to the games, it still wouldn't have had that advantage.

I think that's why WB/Nintendo/etc. went with the Detective Pikachu premise and why, despite alienating some fans who wanted something more true to the core games, it was the right call; it's much easier to turn Detective Pikachu into a film than "catch Pokémon, fight eight gym leaders, tussle with an evil organization along the way". The movie has the benefit of organically telling a story within the framework of a movie and sink people into the world of Pokémon even if you don't know the details, although even that wouldn't have been able to compare to how easy Sonic has it and how there's a whole lot of subtle lore elements that people take for granted.