• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

I'm glad they changed the initial Sonic movie design, it looked a little bit off.

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
Another decade of recolored Sonics is secured. Next is the Mario movie with all the Yoshis, kids also love those.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Also the crazier story here is Paramount having a hit.
This is the part I can't get over. This film was in development hell for a decade before Paramount even picked it up. It should have been a deathblow from the moment that first trailer got released.

Now it's being enjoyed by fans and is on track to set some (admittedly smallish) records? This is the best rags to riches story.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is Sonic still popular? Not a good game in years? How do "the kids" know about this character? Insane!
Congrats Sonic, I guess :))
Sonic is just a bizarre series on so many levels. From all the horrible games, the repeated chances it gets that end in failure over and over for decades on end, all supported by the insane fanbase, none of it makes any sense.

I'm glad the movie seemed to have turned out alright though.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's like two loved franchises of my childhood are duking it out, but it still seems like the villain won. Eh maybe I'll like it in the end

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
Damn, who knew memes would translate into mainstream movie success!

Kids are weird. :D

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I wonder how much of Sonic's popularity with kids is due to how successful the Sonic Boom animation was. That would be really ironic.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Yay? why do we celebrate mediocre film adaptations making more bank just because they're videogame IP?

1. This is a video game forum so we're obviously going to care about video game movies

2. Sonic is a series that gets a disproportionate amount of hate so it's nice to see it successful in spite of all the naysayers, especially when it was frequently compared unfavorably to Detective Pikachu

3. Even if you consider this a mediocre movie, the pieces are now in place for a sequel to take more risks and be the Sonic movie fans have truly been dreaming of, so we should be glad that this one is doing well

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy. Sonic has been past his heyday since the 90s and yet this movie is successful... somehow. Defies all logic, but then again, this is Trump's America.
What does Sonic have to do with that asshole? And this isn't only about the US. I'm from Brazil, and my cousin's son watched a let's play of Sonic Forces when it released because he wanted to know the story, and then got SO excited when he got the game for Christmas. He's 10 now. This is Sonic's heyday to kids like him.

I'm going to see the movie soon, too. I mean, why not? Seems like a joyful one. It's cool to not like it, but I think comparing it to the orange guy seems a bit much.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Deserved. Sonic mania was great and pokemon sword was extremely bad and boring and awful my god was it bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the movie was mediocre. It has lots of nice touches and actually integrated the logic of the gameplay into the action scenes.

I was also fine with the flossing. Sonic is what, a 13-year-old pop culture junkie? He'd absolutely floss.

The product placement was terrible, though. At least they shat on Olive Garden while doing it, 30 Rock-style.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Also happy to see this. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, as did my 5 year old. Here's to hoping they keep the quality up with the sequel. If Carrey is out, I'll probably be out.

Oct 25, 2017
Better comparison would be Sonic Forces, their actual main game rather than the fan directed throwback (which happened to be the best game in decades).

Generations was better than Mania, so no, it wasn't the best game "in decades."

It was good (at worst), though, as were Generations, Colors, and at least two of the Advance games. Well, and half of Unleashed, if we want to parse things a bit.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Sonics popularity with kids should be absolutely zero mystery. He has a cool design and he runs fast super simple.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting two relevant posts on why I think Sonic has stayed popular and why it's doing better than Detective Pikachu from the other thread:

Sonic has stayed relevant for a few reasons in my eyes.

01. Sonic has an incredibly appealing design. One of the smartest things Sonic Team ever did was make a design somewhere between cool, cute and simple so it'd be easy to draw for kids. A lot of kids can just see Sonic's design and want to know more about him. I sincerely think a big reason the Sonic brand has stayed so alive for 30 years is because of Sonic's character design.

02. Sonic has had successes outside of gaming. Sonic Boom was surprisingly popular with kids, Sonic was in both Wreck-It Ralph films, Sonic is known by kids by Youtubers and the like as well who do gaming stuff, the Sonic comics were for a long time the best selling kids comics, Sonic X recently has been popular on Netflix on their top viewed stuff and been sitting there, Sonic merchandise is available in places. Sonic's cartoons have proven popular, again Sonic Boom on Cartoon Network popular, Sonic X on Netflix is doing great numbers too, etc.

03. The older games are still present and plenty of parents still have Sonic games for their kids to play. Plus the newer games haven't been bombs specifically either, just there's been a lack of recent Sonic games in the last 8 years. I think honestly there's probably kids who play his older games for one reason or another. The mobile game downloads for Sonic have also stayed very high, Sonic's found success on mobile. You also can play most older Sonic games on like every streaming game platform, on a lot of mini-consoles, etc. Also all of those Mario & Sonic Olympics games did pretty well.

04. The internet. I kinda' touched on this in point 2, but I need to emphasize Sonic has a presence online. Almost everyone on the internet knows who Sonic the Hedgehog is, Hell I say "Almost" since I feel not everyone can, but I've never met anyone who had no idea who Sonic was. Sonic memes, Let's Plays, cameo appearances, fucking ice cream bars, Sonic I think might've actually been saved by his presence online and just in various outlets in pop culture because everyone fucking knows who Sonic the Hedgehog is. Add to that he has an appealing design and things in various fields to check out, and I think that's part of how he's stayed relevant. I think people making jokes about Sonic and memes, people "ironically" or unrionically doing Let's Plays of his games, Sonic being a character who often comes up with video game discussion, his presence in the Super smash Bros games, his cameos in everything from Wreck-It Ralph to Hatsune Miku stuff, has kept people knowing who Sonic is, and I think becoming aware of him kids may then see he has a cool design and go check out stuff he's been in. I think that's honestly the core of what's been happening, Sonic continues to be talked about and appears in things, and he has an appealing design that leads to kids finding him.

I think a few aspects that benefit the Sonic film also:

-Detective Pikachu kinda' undersold itself because it comes off like a spin-off with the concept, like it doesn't seem like a "core" Pokemon movie. The Sonic movie I think comes off pretty simply it's "Sonic the Movie". I don't think Detective Pikachu came off as clear to casual audiences it was "Pokemon the Movie". That does mean something I think to audiences the sorta' weight to a film.
-Detective Pikachu I'd say isn't as much of an "All-Ages" film, it is technically but the content within with the crime noir events going on isn't quite as appealing to children. Sonic meanwhile I think more clearly is a film for all ages, helped a bit the plot premise is similar to some other children films in the last decade, and I think has more in it that children and adults can enjoy. It's appealing to a broader audience.
-Jim Carry. This is his first big role in years, many have affinity for the actor. I know a lot of older people who are checking out this film simply because Jim Carry is in it and hasn't been in films for years. One big benefit the Sonic movie has going for it is Jim Carry and he decided to be in this movie after a multiple year hiatus. It also helps he delivers a performance very much like his earlier zanier work. This isn't helping the movie do better in the box office, but I'll also add that the human characters in the Sonic movie are much, much better than the human characters in Detective Pikachu.
-As many are pointing out, the delay to February was a smart move because the Sonic movie is competing with very little else for the next few weeks.
-I think the Sonic movie had better marketing. Between the actual commercial advertising budget, and the film did manage to generate buzz and trend on Twitter and such multiple times due to the design shenanigans which even ultimately turned into positive buzz even if it was negative at the start. I know this is a weird barometer to use, but the controversy lead to things like talk shows talking about the Sonic movie, when Detective Pikachu didn't have the same benefit.

Now it is to be seen how the movies legs work and how it does domestically. I do think the Sonic movie is set to perform better than Detective Pikachu in the states and the West, but I also don't think the Sonic IP is as big as it is in China or the like. Really it's going to be up to how the movie does domestically eventually to if it'll gross more than Detective Pikachu or not.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I bet if you went back in time you could get the people in the 1 billion box office thread for Pikachu to bet actual money that this wouldn't happen. Like Biff into Trump money.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically impossible to post on the internet and not know who Sonic is.

You don't even need kids to play the games.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think the worst part of the whole thing is that it's making me want to buy Sonic things. I'll probably end up buying the Switch version of Sonic Forces by week's end.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Also happy to see this. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, as did my 5 year old. Here's to hoping they keep the quality up with the sequel. If Carrey is out, I'll probably be out.

You're in luck, Carrey has been saying in interviews in the last week he had a lot of fun doing this film and would absolutely do a sequel if it happens.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait for Sonic Team to fuck up all this good will

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, what is your point? You told someone else that their opinion was wrong when they chose a different point of comparison than you did.

Do you have a point or no?

I didn't say anything about their opinion being wrong, but that user pretty much mostly posts anti-pokemon troll content so I couldn't care less about their opinion tbqh. Forces was literally the flagship Sonic title.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is Sonic still popular? Not a good game in years? How do "the kids" know about this character? Insane!
That's what I want to know, sonic is the most resilient character I've ever seen, it's amazing how you can have so many bad games over years and still be relevant

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
sonic has dudebro appeal. seen loads of transformers/fast & furios type of movie watchers seeing it.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Sonic's design is a stroke of genius and timeless. Kids just need to take one look at him and they want to be just like him. There was also the TV show sonic boom, which was quite popular.

Sonic always had a presence in the public eye through his mainline games and spinoffs like the immenesly popular olympic games series.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say anything about their opinion being wrong, but that user pretty much mostly posts anti-pokemon troll content so I couldn't care less about their opinion tbqh. Forces was literally the flagship Sonic title.

And I didn't say that your opinion was wrong; I merely gave a counter-opinion.

I have no beef with Pokemon, by the way. Just giving a counter-opinion to your opinion.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Good for Sonic! This looks pretty solid too. Genuinely interested in watching this after the trailers and good buzz around Carrey. I didn't really like Detective Pikachu. Ryan Reynolds was solid as usual, but the middling CG/models and generally unconvincing performances by the rest of the cast really put a damper on my enjoyment.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think the worst part of the whole thing is that it's making me want to buy Sonic things. I'll probably end up buying the Switch version of Sonic Forces by week's end.
you really shouldn't
It's $10 right now.

... I may have just bought it, against my better judgment.

(Also, Team Sonic Racing is dirt cheap right now on Steam, and is the much better value at $10. Get that if you haven't, it's really fun.)

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a huge Sonic fan ever since the character first hit the scene. His games have been more miss than hit ever since the Genesis days but I've certainly thought there were at least a few that were good to great games.

Anyway I enjoyed the movie and can't wait for a sequel that hopefully has more to do with the games lore/Sonic's world. While I enjoyed the movie I don't want the sequel to be like the first movie.