• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Happy to see others who prefer using a controller as well. I was a bit nervous upon seeing what I now perceive as elitism over the "optimal" way to play the game. Idk, I just feel that Sonic should control rather simply. Low skill floor, high skill ceiling. "Simple" mode with a PS4 controller is best for this, imo.
After experimenting some I've come to the conclusion that controllers that have an octagonal gate on the joysticks like the 2000s Nintendo controllers make a big difference. The levels are really heavily built with the assumption that you can move in a perfectly straight line, and when I was using other controllers it was also a struggle to keep myself running straight.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game gets another 10+ years of developements. I'd love to see whole new stages :)

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I hope this game gets another 10+ years of developements. I'd love to see whole new stages :)

Don't worry. There's a frightening amount of stuff left to do before the game is considered to be complete, and considering that it's already been in development for 20+ years, the devs clearly won't stop until it's done. This is just what we know:
  1. Techno Hill 2 visual overhaul (less grey)
  2. Deep Sea 2 remake
  3. Possible Deep Sea 3 remake
  4. Red Volcano 2
  5. Red Volcano 3
  6. Dark City 1
  7. Dark City 2
  8. Dark City 3
  9. Grand Eggship 1
  10. Grand Eggship 2
  11. Grand Eggship 3
  12. Egg Rock 1 remake
  13. Egg Rock 2 remake
  14. Possible Egg Rock 3
  15. Possible Black Core 1 remake
  16. Black Core 3 remake
  17. "Final Fight" (Super Sonic final boss)
  18. Another Challenge Level
  19. Yet another Challenge Level
  20. Probably another Challenge Level
Jeez, I'll be stuck here forever...

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'm at 88 emblems right now. The emblem radar is a neat tool and is really helpful with finding the trickier ones!

The game feels like such a complete package, it's so impressive.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Happy to see others who prefer using a controller as well. I was a bit nervous upon seeing what I now perceive as elitism over the "optimal" way to play the game. Idk, I just feel that Sonic should control rather simply. Low skill floor, high skill ceiling. "Simple" mode with a PS4 controller is best for this, imo.

Hundred percent. I'm on Mac so I don't have the Simple/etc options, I'm limited to 2.2.0, but I use a Switch Pro controller and find it comfortable and good.

L stick moves,
B is jump,
A is spin,
X and Y are custom 1 and 2
R stick is camera left and right;
L1 and R1 are turn-left and look-left for hard turns, Sonic R-style.
L3 resets camera
R3 1st-person view
D-pad for looking up/down/left/right

I get that a lot of the long time users prefer it and it's made for it, but it feels bizarre to play Sonic with KBM and isn't a barrier I'd cross, tbh, so I'm very glad for the support that's in there.

But yes. You should be able to theoretically hand someone an Xbox/PS4/Switch pad, start the game (with no tutorial!), and be able to figure it out as you go, and have a fun time doing it.

It's not that far away from being in a state where that's possible, even only on 2.2.0.

The 3D Model mod is worth it btw. I already beat and loved this game before implementing it, but it really transports you to another timeline where the SEGA Saturn finally got its great 3D Sonic game.

It's to the point I've considered buying a gaming PC to be able to play them, because yes, that is exactly what I want to play and it makes such a difference (not a dis to the sprites). Obviously now's not exactly a time to splurge on extremely unnecessary things like a new computer, but... it's crossed my mind because who knows when Mac players will get to use them?

Mac version is also unable to play the online multiplayer :/ but oh well.

This looks so fun. Seeing mods like this make me curious with what they can do to modify Sonic's abilities at the current time, as I feel that he may just be a bit too unforgiving at times. I'm not asking for tricks or anything to be brought to the table, but a limited homing attack could go a long way towards making players feel more comfortable playing as Sonic during tricky platforming segments.

Yup, 100% agree.

Modern Sonic and the Silver mods are indeed the two most fun characters, as stated a few posts back (and I also have not enjoyed playing either in other official Sonic games). Eggman is fun too; a lot of them are fun, but Modern and Silver are the two best.

The Thok rules, but it's not really enough on its own, whereas Modern Mod's jump moves are absurdly helpful, but "Boost" as a concept I don't really like compared to Spin Dash and Thok.

Sonic with Thok and Homing = Sonic TH ... perfect.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
After experimenting some I've come to the conclusion that controllers that have an octagonal gate on the joysticks like the 2000s Nintendo controllers make a big difference. The levels are really heavily built with the assumption that you can move in a perfectly straight line, and when I was using other controllers it was also a struggle to keep myself running straight.

Makes me think there should be an update that restricts movement to 8-16 directions. Mario 3D World worked well with that on Wii U.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
While Advance Sonic is pretty neat, I prefer Neo Sonic, which is one of the custom character takes on a 'modern' Sonic. Aside from more fitting sprites (and also the animations are great, both in 2D and in model form), I feel like Neo Sonic handles better and has a homing attack that better conserves momentum, nevermind that boost mode lets him smash through spikes like Metal Sonic does, but not through enemies. He doesn't have the trick ability, but he feels like a nice "difficult but awesome" alternative take on SRB2 Sonic that rewards building and maintaining speed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really have to try this, wow o.o Neo Sonic looks like he plays like HERO Engine Sonic :o

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's to the point I've considered buying a gaming PC to be able to play them, because yes, that is exactly what I want to play and it makes such a difference (not a dis to the sprites). Obviously now's not exactly a time to splurge on extremely unnecessary things like a new computer, but... it's crossed my mind because who knows when Mac players will get to use them?

Try this:

Download the model pack and follow the instructions (it's different from other add-ons).

Go to /Users/yourusername/srb2 and rename the "models" folder to "md2" and "models.dat" to "md2.dat".

Open up the Mac terminal and enter:

Code:
open /Applications/Sonic\ Robo\ Blast\ 2.app --args -opengl

Then once the game has launched enter "gr_md2 on" into the SRB2 console (press the ~ key to open).

I have absolutely no idea if that will work or not.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Try this:

Download the model pack and follow the instructions (it's different from other add-ons).

Go to /Users/yourusername/srb2 and rename the "models" folder to "md2" and "models.dat" to "md2.dat".

Open up the Mac terminal and enter:

Code:
open /Applications/Sonic\ Robo\ Blast\ 2.app --args -opengl

Then once the game has launched enter "gr_md2 on" into the SRB2 console (press the ~ key to open).

I have absolutely no idea if that will work or not.

Unfortunately it didn't work... I seem unable to convince either the Mac Terminal or the SRB2 console that those functions exist. I tried a couple of variations on trying to get it to work but nothing did. Either way, thanks for looking out!

If any future Mac user playing 2.2.0 reads this thread and somehow figures out a way to get the 3D models to work, yo please lmk!

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately it didn't work... I seem unable to convince either the Mac Terminal or the SRB2 console that those functions exist. I tried a couple of variations on trying to get it to work but nothing did. Either way, thanks for looking out!

If any future Mac user playing 2.2.0 reads this thread and somehow figures out a way to get the 3D models to work, yo please lmk!

Darn.

I mean, I'm sure someone on the SRB2 forum or discord knows what to do. I'm sure you can ask there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Does the game feel better when actually playing it as opposed to watching it? There are moments the game looks cool and moments it feels like motion sickness/whiplash the game.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Does the game feel better when actually playing it as opposed to watching it? There are moments the game looks cool and moments it feels like motion sickness/whiplash the game.
Yes, why not give it a try yourself? It's free :)

The game, like the classic Sonic games, reward skillful play. The game gets better and better with each playthrough because your skill increases with each playthrough.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Darn.

I mean, I'm sure someone on the SRB2 forum or discord knows what to do. I'm sure you can ask there.

I've actually asked in both the Discord and the Jeck Jims thread (and seen others ask too) and it seems like it just isn't possible on 2.2.0 Or... something. I've tried using the previous version from 2.1 in the archive forum, and couldn't get that working either.

Maybe I'll try again...

But either way, thank you for trying! It's appreciated.

The OP in this thread is pretty great at giving you everything you need to know (including in terms of how to prepare your expectations).

Yes, it's worth it. No other Sonic game offers levels like this, where act Act of each Zone feels both like a "course" and a "sandbox" simultaneously, depending on how you choose to run around.

But, just like this is true for the Star Wars films, there does not exist a Sonic game that isn't deeply flawed in some way. That feeling of whiplash is in there, but I'd say it's worse to watch than play; the camera is far less nauseating when you're the one in control of it.

So, it takes a little getting used to, but it's so unique that it deserves a download. Also, the soundtrack rocks out loud and the NiGHTS bonus stages are... a dream.

What's to lose? Give it a go.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Was having tons of fun tearing around SRB2 with Chengi's Neo Sonic custom character that adds a soft homing attack and Sonic Advance 2's boost mode to the game

...up until I got to Arid Desert. Now I'm starting to feel what people mean. It's been kind of a mood killer with how many places LOOK safe but are actually bottomless pits, and how easy it is to fall in to them in general regardless

(Also, yes, I know how to save my progress now, somebody replied to my tweet with the required .soc file)

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Was having tons of fun tearing around SRB2 with Chengi's Neo Sonic custom character that adds a soft homing attack and Sonic Advance 2's boost mode to the game

...up until I got to Arid Desert. Now I'm starting to feel what people mean. It's been kind of a mood killer with how many places LOOK safe but are actually bottomless pits, and how easy it is to fall in to them in general regardless

(Also, yes, I know how to save my progress now, somebody replied to my tweet with the required .soc file)

Yea, the difficulty spike is a bit much. I prefer the more open ended levels, they feel like Mario 64 Stages for Sonic! I like the challenge though ultimately

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

Just tried this myself; made it up to Red Volcano. I've basically just been trying to speedrun the game; no emeralds, just straight dashing through.

It's so fun. Frankly I feel like the homing attack is a no-brainer for Sonic in vanilla, but the devs don't seem to agree.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Very cool. Looks like a game I'd have adored 15 to 20 years ago, and sadly that I'd play now and think "boy, this has aged terribly..."

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Very cool. Looks like a game I'd have adored 15 to 20 years ago, and sadly that I'd play now and think "boy, this has aged terribly..."

Not at all. If anything, I'd argue the scale, density, and interconnectivity of the levels feels like a step above much of modern 3D environmental design, especially if you limit it to comparing against other 3D platformers.

Of course, as you always have to say when recommending this game: the controls are weird. They're good (eventually), but they're weird. Playing this like a normal platformer is as much of a mistake as playing a 2D Sonic game as if it were a 2D Mario game.

People in this thread tend to be having the best experience by using a gamepad and changing to the "Simple" playstyle option.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
People in this thread tend to be having the best experience by using a gamepad and changing to the "Simple" playstyle option.
Forreal. It doesnt control exactly how you'd expect, but with practice it's really fun.

Tbh I played a good amount of the game as Neo Sonic today and I loved it. Homing attack and EARNED, not over-powered boost is really fun. You can kinda cheese the game but it doesnt feel like cheating. I like it a lot!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, that like really, really incredible! I gotta say, that modded homing attack seems to fit in very nicely.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Oh wow, that like really, really incredible! I gotta say, that modded homing attack seems to fit in very nicely.
It does. The main creators of the game seem pretty against its inclusion, but idk, I like it. I feel like it just gives Sonic some added aerial mobility.

Speaking of character capabilities, I'd really like for the characters to be rebalanced a tad. As it stands, Tails is not only the easiest character to control, but the fastest. He is "easy mode," as he should be, but should he be the fastest character in the game?

Sonic, idealistically, should be the character you "strive" to play as. He has the least amount of abilities, but the highest top speed and other abilities which increase his speed of movement. Considering his higher learning curve and on-paper "fastest thing alive" title, he should be the character we see being played during speedruns such as AGDQ, not Tails.

It's shame because I truly love playing as Sonic over every other character due to the higher learning curve, I just wish it was actually more rewarding in-game. As it stands, when I'm going for emblems in Record Mode, I have no reason to pick Sonic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Speaking of character capabilities, I'd really like for the characters to be rebalanced a tad. As it stands, Tails is not only the easiest character to control, but the fastest. He is "easy mode," as he should be, but should he be the fastest character in the game?

Sonic, idealistically, should be the character you "strive" to play as. He has the least amount of abilities, but the highest top speed and other abilities which increase his speed of movement. Considering his higher learning curve and on-paper "fastest thing alive" title, he should be the character we see being played during speedruns such as AGDQ, not Tails.

It's shame because I truly love playing as Sonic over every other character due to the higher learning curve, I just wish it was actually more rewarding in-game. As it stands, when I'm going for emblems in Record Mode, I have no reason to pick Sonic.

This was more the case in earlier versions of the game. Previously, the characters each had different ability stats. Tails had the lowest acceleration and max speed, for example.

It was changed in 2.2 so that all characters have Sonic's stats. This was necessary because, with 6 playable characters, it was getting too difficult and time consuming for the level designers to test every single level edit against all 6 characters to make sure it worked properly. By standardizing on Sonic's stats, they could more easily test the level design and difficulty curve by just playing as Sonic without using the thok.

It totally broke the character balance though. At least the devs know it and are aiming to fix it.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018

It's a nice thought, but in virtually every Sonic game with multiple characters, Sonic has never been the fastest one for speedruns. Tails was usually the fastest character in Mania until Ray supplanted him, and even then Knuckles often had a few special skips/glitches he had access to. The ability to skip past platforming in a platformer is inherently superior for speedrunning. Sonic Team themselves acknowledged this when they made the central idea of Tails's levels in Sonic Adventure "be faster than Sonic".

Increasing Sonic's acceleration or top speed wouldn't help him beat Tails and Knuckles through the hanging lifts section at the end of AZ1, or get through the disappearing platforms sections in Egg Rock any faster. Even Fang can use his chains of bounce jumps to skip over enough platforming to beat the Thok in a lot of levels.

It's only particularly possible to make Sonic the fastest by cutting most of the platforming in the game entirely, which is certainly not something we'd want to happen.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
It's a nice thought, but in virtually every Sonic game with multiple characters, Sonic has never been the fastest one for speedruns. Tails was usually the fastest character in Mania until Ray supplanted him, and even then Knuckles often had a few special skips/glitches he had access to. The ability to skip past platforming in a platformer is inherently superior for speedrunning. Sonic Team themselves acknowledged this when they made the central idea of Tails's levels in Sonic Adventure "be faster than Sonic".

Increasing Sonic's acceleration or top speed wouldn't help him beat Tails and Knuckles through the hanging lifts section at the end of AZ1, or get through the disappearing platforms sections in Egg Rock any faster. Even Fang can use his chains of bounce jumps to skip over enough platforming to beat the Thok in a lot of levels.

It's only particularly possible to make Sonic the fastest by cutting most of the platforming in the game entirely, which is certainly not something we'd want to happen.
Yea, you raise some good points.

I guess I'd just like to see more Sonic-only speedruns! They're much more interesting to watch, and play for that matter.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Silver is a really fun custom character too. The modder did a good job balancing his abilities. There's a cooldown period after picking things up before you throw them that leaves you defenseless for a bit, and you have to make sure to throw things into enemies or walls too destroy them, otherwise they'll hit the ground unharmed. His levitation conserves momentum like Metal Sonic's hover does. If you press spin while levitating it turns into a fast air dash that drains energy quickly which you can also do at an angle. Air dashing into the ground is the only way Silver can roll.

Silver The Hedgehog

Silver leaps through time to once more end up in our cursed timeline! But this time, he's got a whole 300 something polished up sprites, some suntan, and has honed his telekinetic powers! Abilities & Tips: Float: Double jump and hold jump to float. You can start floating again after letting...

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Silver is a really fun custom character too. The modder did a good job balancing his abilities. There's a cooldown period after picking things up before you throw them that leaves you defenseless for a bit, and you have to make sure to throw things into enemies or walls too destroy them, otherwise they'll hit the ground unharmed. His levitation conserves momentum like Metal Sonic's hover does. If you press spin while levitating it turns into a fast air dash that drains energy quickly which you can also do at an angle. Air dashing into the ground is the only way Silver can roll.

I'd definitely argue that Silver and the Werehog are two of the best designed custom characters, which is super ironic considering they're two of the least popular characters in the Sonic franchise.

----

I've been recommending the Simple control scheme to new players now, but the more I play with Simple the more issues I come across. They really need to revise the tutorial to tell you about Center View (the button that centers the camera behind Sonic) because it's super essential sometimes. Like, the bridge collapse sequence in Castle Eggman 1 is designed with the assumption that you can face straight forward and strafe left and right to avoid obstacles. You can't strafe using Simple unless you hold down Center View. Even worse, its default is right-stick-click, when it really should be one of the triggers or something.

I should probably write some control PSA and link to it in the OP for new players. Maybe when 2.2.3 comes out.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I'd definitely argue that Silver and the Werehog are two of the best designed custom characters, which is super ironic considering they're two of the least popular characters in the Sonic franchise.

----

I've been recommending the Simple control scheme to new players now, but the more I play with Simple the more issues I come across. They really need to revise the tutorial to tell you about Center View (the button that centers the camera behind Sonic) because it's super essential sometimes. Like, the bridge collapse sequence in Castle Eggman 1 is designed with the assumption that you can face straight forward and strafe left and right to avoid obstacles. You can't strafe using Simple unless you hold down Center View. Even worse, its default is right-stick-click, when it really should be one of the triggers or something.

I should probably write some control PSA and link to it in the OP for new players. Maybe when 2.2.3 comes out.
My control setup utilizes simple controls on a PS4 controller; X is jump, Square is spin, L1 centers the camera, the left joystick moves my character and the right joystick moves the camera. Works fine for me. I like having light camera control to really solidify it feeling like a 3D platformer. Works fine for me with cooperation from the camera centering! I usually utilize that function to lock onto bosses and for tricky platforming segments.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Playing The kart version now, pretty cool, but wish there were some filter options. Too many graphics, need CRT blurring technology!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
My controller setup has everything on the shoulder buttons so I can keep control of the camera at all times.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
My control setup utilizes simple controls on a PS4 controller; X is jump, Square is spin, L1 centers the camera, the left joystick moves my character and the right joystick moves the camera. Works fine for me. I like having light camera control to really solidify it feeling like a 3D platformer. Works fine for me with cooperation from the camera centering! I usually utilize that function to lock onto bosses and for tricky platforming segments.

That's my control setup with Simple too, though I usually play with M&K. I feel like I'm just playing an inferior version of the M&K controls when I've got the buttons on the shoulders; it's the same dissonance I feel when I play an FPS with a controller. Using the face buttons and the center camera is a proper 3D platformer control setup, and I'd much rather go for the M&K if I want precision.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This is really cool and unexpected. Cool enough that I want to advertise it.

Kirby Arrives in SRB2!

If you've ever felt dismayed that no true 3D Kirby platformer has ever been made, this is now your best option. Kirby has all his classic abilities. Floating, sucking, spitting, and 14 copy abilities.

Download link.

CopyAbilities.png

float.gif

bomb.gif

wheel.gif

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
This is really cool and unexpected. Cool enough that I want to advertise it.

Kirby Arrives in SRB2!

If you've ever felt dismayed that no true 3D Kirby platformer has ever been made, this is now your best option. Kirby has all his classic abilities. Floating, sucking, spitting, and 14 copy abilities.

Download link.

CopyAbilities.png

float.gif

bomb.gif

wheel.gif
This is so fucking awesome, really makes me hope for a 3D Kirby game some day. I think one of the main devs hints at it recently?

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
It's surprising how well Kirby works in SRB2's level design. They hit the right flight duration to make flight useful for exploration without having Kirby fly over the entire level.

He does move a bit too fast while flying, though; Kirby games usually have a nice little dichotomy where the player has to slow down to puff up and fly, whereas this Kirby can puff up just to keep his momentum going.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is so fucking awesome, really makes me hope for a 3D Kirby game some day. I think one of the main devs hints at it recently?

Some comments right after Star Allies was finished indicated that the next game could be very different, but the more recent comments from New Year talked more about making a game that surpasses its predecessors, which makes it sound like it will stay 2d.and just will be "better" somehow rather than going for something completely different.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Some comments right after Star Allies was finished indicated that the next game could be very different, but the more recent comments from New Year talked more about making a game that surpasses its predecessors, which makes it sound like it will stay 2d.and just will be "better" somehow rather than going for something completely different.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see. There are only so many successors to Kirby: Return to Dreamland I can play at this point, they really need to change it up if they're gonna keep longtime fans excited.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
How do you drop a power?

...Huh, it's odd that the dev made an entire (very cute) tutorial for Kirby that replaces the default tutorial and yet forget to include this bit.

As an aside, you know what this game really needs? The ability to set different control configurations for different characters and/or different controllers (such as different setups for gamepad controls vs keyboard-only vs mouse+keyboard). All these custom characters use the controls in totally different ways and it's hard to keep track of them.

You can hack your way around it by making multiple config.cfg files that you switch between using the addon menu, which works well enough, but it really should be a built-in feature rather than a hack.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get why the modder didn't user one of the other 2 custom buttons for it...

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I just don't get why the modder didn't user one of the other 2 custom buttons for it...

The exact inputs are weird in general. Custom 2 is used, but not Custom 1. I assume that means that Custom 1 is used by some copy abilities as an extra move? I don't even have Custom 1 set to any button so I haven't tried. I guess I should.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
So, this is a cool level mod.

Azure Paradise Zone

From Alternate match maps and KIMOKAWAII. Its Azure Paradise! This was going to be my ULDC entry but seeing as that has been cancelled. I decided to clean up some edges since my submission a few weeks ago to now. Features: Lots of routes, 5 Global emblems, 2 Record Attack specific emblems...

QNn5sf8.png

It's called Azure Paradise Zone.

Not much else to say but the level design is really fun, the aesthetics are pleasant, and the music rocks. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
So, this is a cool level mod.

Azure Paradise Zone

From Alternate match maps and KIMOKAWAII. Its Azure Paradise! This was going to be my ULDC entry but seeing as that has been cancelled. I decided to clean up some edges since my submission a few weeks ago to now. Features: Lots of routes, 5 Global emblems, 2 Record Attack specific emblems...

It's called Azure Paradise Zone.

Not much else to say but the level design is really fun, the aesthetics are pleasant, and the music rocks. Enjoy!

Just tried it. Wow. That is an amazing (and absolutely huge) level. Considering the number of character-specific alt paths I saw along the way, this is definitely a level I need to play as every character.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
More cool levels!

Neo Palm Tree Zone

attachment.php

EDIT: Played through this multiple times, it is a fucking awesome stage. When you learn to finess your way through the stage, it truly feels like the intro to Sonic CD brought to life. It's so fun to blast over cliffsides and obstacles with ease, and the level is HUGE. It's sprawling with platforms, cliffs, caves, waterfalls... fuck. Damn good level design on display here. I think I like it more than most vanilla stages, etc. This stage and Azure Paradise are fucking mint stages that give the base game a run for its money, imo.

Last edited:

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
While the thread is on the subject of mods...

Is there a cleaner way to load mods than to go into Addons ingame and select each one individually? It would be nice to have all the mod characters and some of the mod levels preloaded on starting a modded game.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

Is there a cleaner way to load mods than to go into Addons ingame and select each one individually? It would be nice to have all the mod characters and some of the mod levels preloaded on starting a modded game.
I dont think so... I know theres a mod to allow save data for modded characters, but that's about all I know.

I have separate folders in my addons folder for organization purposes; "characters," "zones," etc. That's about as streamlined as we're getting atm, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

I dont think so... I know theres a mod to allow save data for modded characters, but that's about all I know.

I have separate folders in my addons folder for organization purposes; "characters," "zones," etc. That's about as streamlined as we're getting atm, unfortunately.

There is. While I've never used it, LauncherBlast2 probably has everything you need.

I use the more manual method of executing console scripts to do the same thing because I don't want to open up a separate program. Here's what I do:

Create a text file, write down console commands (one per line), then save it as [whatever].cfg. For example, you could have a file called characters.cfg that contains:

Code:
addfile addons/VCL_EggPackRE-v2.pk3
addfile addons/VCL_Silver-v2.1.pk3
addfile addons/VC_Flicky-v1.pk3
addfile addons/VCL_ModernSonic-v3.1.pk3
addfile addons/VCL_Kirby-v1.1.pk3

Then when you load characters.cfg from the addons menu, those console commands are executed and all those characters are added to the game. Note that you can use any console command you want, so you can also use this method to save different controller profiles, for example.

Of particular note is the file autoexec.cfg. Everything command you add to that file will automatically execute when you start the game. I put stuff like anglestand in that file. That's also the file you'll want to use Custom Gamedata on so that you can still save your game with mods loaded.