• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It hasn't been confirmed that the music was the reason.
but unlike Earthbound, where it doesn't seem like there was anything really blocking it from a Wii VC release, we know Sonic 3 has been off-limits to teams like M2 (for both the 3D Classics and Sega Ages lines) and D3T (where it was one of the few titles removed from the console port of their Steam collection). I'd throw in Taxman and Stealth's mobile remaster not being greenlit too but I guess one could come up with other explainations for that.

3&K hasn't been rereleased in a decade; do you have a better explaination to offer up if you don't think the music is the cause?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
but unlike Earthbound, where it doesn't seem like there was anything really blocking it from a Wii VC release, we know Sonic 3 has been off-limits to teams like M2 (for both the 3D Classics and Sega Ages lines) and D3T (where it was one of the few titles removed from the console port of their Steam collection).

3&K hasn't been rereleased in a decade; do you have a better explaination to offer up if you don't think the music is the cause?
And it's such a weird situation. Every re-release of Sonic 3 that wasn't a port had the Jackson music changed, but both Sega and Jackson's estate flat-out deny that his music was even in the game at all, which anyone that listens to those tracks knows is blatantly false.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Eh, I'm not going to lose sleep over the Jackson tracks.

They make up a very small percentage of the overall OST of S3&K and only one or two are any good.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's the exact opposite.

Why would they shout about something that has never been more than rumor and that Sega themselves have never commented on? Sonic 3 has been re-released with the original music multiple times before.

If Sega had re-released it with new music in the past and this new release was the return of the original music, then it make sense to shout about it.

Why? Its easy positive press. And with the stupid DLC/chart shit they did today they could sure need it. Get a few more preorders locked in. You bury bad news, and that's what this feels like, as I already pointed out in two separate Sega examples. The only other logical explanation is that once again Sega are idiots when it comes to properly marketing their games, which is very much believable.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Why would they shout about something that has never been more than rumor and that Sega themselves have never commented on? Sonic 3 has been re-released with the original music multiple times before.
The last time Sonic 3 saw a rerelease was the Ultimate Genesis Collection, which came out February 10, 2009, just a few months after Hard Times saw its first commercial release.

It's entirely possible that this collection comes out with every song in tact—minus Ice Cap.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I didn't say I don't think the music is the case. I'm saying that we simply don't know for sure.

The game has been re-released multiple times in the past, including a couple weeks before and a couple years after Jackson's death. The whole situation is strange.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
^I always disliked the music to Ice Cap Zone (significantly inferior to every other "ice level" theme in the entire series) and if it actually does get changed it would be an automatic improvement in my book.

fite me
Such a statement must be settled with a duel. Dwango5, MAP01, Odamex.
(This isn't serious, I don't actually have the time. :V)

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
^I always disliked the music to Ice Cap Zone (significantly inferior to every other "ice level" theme in the entire series) and if it actually does get changed it would be an automatic improvement in my book.

fite me
Nah you're right.

Ice Cap is the best of the Jackston tracks but that's hardly saying much. It's certainly not so good that it was worth all of the fuss.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I'm not going to lose sleep over the Jackson tracks.

They make up a very small percentage of the overall OST of S3&K and only one or two are any good.
Well, Ice Cap is one of the tracks and a lot of people consider it one of the best Classic tracks. I'm not too hung up on Carnival Night or Launch Base but I do think the beta tracks are inferior. I'd have liked Tee Lopes to compose original replacements that fit the levels and overall sound of the game better.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Well, Ice Cap is one of the tracks and a lot of people consider it one of the best Classic tracks. I'm not too hung up on Carnival Night or Launch Base but I do think the beta tracks are inferior. I'd have liked Tee Lopes to compose original replacements that fit the levels and overall sound of the game better.
Well yeah, I just assume that whenever people ask for the original Sonic 3 soundtrack they're only talking about Ice Cap.

I refuse to believe that people care about the noise pollution of Carnival Night and Launch Base that much.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Just pay Brad Buxer for Hard Times and use the proto tracks for Carnival Night and Launch Base, they're better anyway.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
OG Ice Cap Act 2 is god tier. Are the original Sonic 3 tracks not in this game or do we not know yet?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
OG Ice Cap Act 2 is god tier. Are the original Sonic 3 tracks not in this game or do we not know yet?
The state of the music is unkown. Since this is Sonic 3&K some of the Jackson associated tracks (Knuckles' Theme, the Mini Boss Theme and Credits theme) are already replaced by their Sonic & Knuckles equivalents by default, so it's just the themes for Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base in question. Also the Competition Mode menu; but getting the proto track there is just a clear upgrade.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Honestly if it has the replacement tracks it's a HUGE turn off for me. At least the replacement tracks I've heard before. It's so weird how a few select songs are like this.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
It's all been assumption, since Sega's yet to state anything.

The state of the music is unkown. Since this is Sonic 3&K some of the Jackson associated tracks (Knuckles' Theme, the Mini Boss Theme and Credits theme) are already replaced by their Sonic & Knuckles equivalents by default, so it's just the themes for Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base in question. Also the Competition Mode menu; but getting the proto track there is just a clear upgrade.

Damn. Well if they really are out I hope it isn't too difficult to mod back in because honestly, other than waiting for DRM to be removed, personally I wouldn't bother rebuying these games if the original music isn't included with no way to mod back in (I've already bought these damn games x2-3 times over at this point.)

I consider OG Ice Cap to be in my top 20 tracks produced during that era so it not being included would be a huge bummer.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have pizza and videogames night with a friend when I buy this game

We're 37 years old with families

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
WTF HOW!?
You're insane.
Simple. Ice level themes better than Ice Cap:

Diamond Dust Zone Act 1 (Genesis)
Diamond Dust Zone Act 1 (Saturn)
Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy
Ice Mountain Zone Act 2
Ice Paradise Zone Act 2
Twinkle Snow Zone Act 1
White Park Zone Act 2

Sonic 3's Ice Cap lacks what all these other songs have, and that's an actual beat to follow. It's all just noise to me with no actual flow.

And yes, I even prefer music from Sonic 4: Episode 2 over it idgaf

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Ice Mountain Zone Act 2
Ice Paradise Zone Act 2
Twinkle Snow Zone Act 1
White Park Zone Act 2

Sonic 3's Ice Cap lacks what all these other songs have, and that's an actual beat to follow. It's all just noise to me with no actual flow.

None of those have as awesome of a beat as Sonic 3 Ice Cap. I just don't even know what else to say here lol!!! You're a crazy person.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Ice Mountain Zone Act 2
Ice Paradise Zone Act 2
Twinkle Snow Zone Act 1
White Park Zone Act 2

The real question is if you prefer proto Ice Cap.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's always a good sign when I've been staring at your multi page preorder guide for 5 minutes just trying to work out how to read it.

I assume this is to confuse me into buying the Digital Deluxe edition that comes with everything. Does it come with everything? I can't even tell.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Can we play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately? That's the only question i have.
Or are we stuck with Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
I'm probably the only one but I wish that Amy was playable in some way. I've seen romhacks of the original games with her added in as a playable character so I know that it's possible. Seeing her being used in the official artwork but not be featured in the games so odd to me.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm probably the only one but I wish that Amy was playable in some way. I've seen romhacks of the original games with her added in as a playable character so I know that it's possible. Seeing her being used in the official artwork but not be featured in the games so odd to me.
Behind the whole DLC and edition chart and Knuckles apparently not being playable in CD according to Famitsu, the lack of playable Amy is probably the third biggest gripe i've seen people have so far.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

There was A LOT of demand for Amy when they announced Mania Plus (and dissapointment afterwards). To the point that they added her in a Mania Adventures episode.

Honestly I find it weird they didn't add her here after that.

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
You're not, a lot of people want that.

Behind the whole DLC and edition chart and Knuckles apparently not being playable in CD according to Famitsu, the lack of playable Amy is probably the third biggest gripe i've seen people have so far.

There was A LOT of demand for Amy when they announced Mania Plus (and dissapointment afterwards). To the point that they added her in a Mania Adventures episode.

It's good to know I'm not the only one at least. I was under the impression that most people didn't like Amy very much. I've never understood why that was the case, I've always liked her. I'm glad that my impression may have been wrong.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
What's unfortunate about the DLC is that they probably could've done more with it. I'd've accepted a season pass for like €10 if it was a playable character pack of Amy, Ray, Mighty or some of the Chaotix. Maybe have a short campaign with few exclusive levels for each character based around their abilities taking place in areas from the games already included, and also adjust the current games to not break with them. Price can be adjusted accordingly if needed.

The current DLC stuff, is such basic stuff that was clearly cut from the actual game to make some extra money. They could've had some physical collector's edition with cheap garbage collectibles that people love, to make that money, without cutting pointless crap from the game.

On another note, I do think the orange to red gradient on the Deluxe Edition looks nicer than the blue to green

Tbf Ristar Snow area themes both shit all over normal and prototype Ice Cap.
Oh, I agree, but Ristar just has a fantastic OST in general.

I've always just felt, with some instrument alterations, it'd feel right at home in Ristar.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
Fans are going to be really fast at making a Plus mod to add Knuckles to CD, and Amy to all games, maybe even Ray and Mighty, because is using the same engine that fans have been modding since 2013. Sucks for console players though.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
All this talk about Sonic 3 music rights and no one's talking about the one where there were actually confirmed rights issues: Sonic CD!
I need to know whether the vocals for the original OP and ED are in this time. =P

Bonito_Flakes

May 31, 2021
I'm split on the final Vs prototype music question... for example I hate Carnival Night Zone mostly because of the music and only now like the Zone because of Sonic 3 A.I.R and being able to use prototype music. At the same time though I do prefer the final version of Launch Base Zone over the prototype so it would be great if you could pick which Zone had which song (but given that the CD remake didn't have that feature don't expect it here). At the end of the day just please let us do something about 3&K Super Sonic theme, cause in the final version is a terrible 13 second loop and this possible prototype version is so much better.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Fans are going to be really fast at making a Plus mod to add Knuckles to CD, and Amy to all games, maybe even Ray and Mighty, because is using the same engine that fans have been modding since 2013. Sucks for console players though.
Oh, of course. Retro Engine modding is wide open now so I wouldn't be surprised to see stuff like this ported from the old remasters to the new ones.

62114133ae1e1.jpg

I'd be shocked if the Jackson music mod wasn't available within an hour of launch.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Yeah probably and thankfully, I assume Sonic Team will do one themselves eventually if the game does well

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Lmao at that price

Add to that some really dumb DLC that should have been in the package from the start

And then add freaking denuvo

Yeah no thanks for now

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm split on the final Vs prototype music question... for example I hate Carnival Night Zone mostly because of the music and only now like the Zone because of Sonic 3 A.I.R and being able to use prototype music. At the same time though I do prefer the final version of Launch Base Zone over the prototype so it would be great if you could pick which Zone had which song (but given that the CD remake didn't have that feature don't expect it here). At the end of the day just please let us do something about 3&K Super Sonic theme, cause in the final version is a terrible 13 second loop and this possible prototype version is so much better.

See, this is the actual upgrade.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017

I'm with you, the prototype/PC track for Carnival Night was the only one I definitely favored over the final Genesis track. The Genesis Carnival Night theme is so low-tempo and has that old circus tune attached to it, it felt really out of place in the game to me. The other MJ/Buxer tracks are so much better and I prefer those over the prototypes as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath over whether or not they'll be that granular with how much they'll let us customize the games.

I'm honestly curious about what has changed regarding the music rights with this release considering it was what prevented 3&K from being remastered for mobile like 1 and 2. They could have said to heck with it and just went with the prototype tracks instead, but Ice Cap for instance is just so beloved that that would be a deal-breaker for a lot of people. It'd be like if they had to replace Green Hill Zone's music. When considering the steep $40 price point I think it's very possible that Sega might have just sucked it up and paid MJ's estate, Brad Buxer et al their cut this release.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Sega "What would Sonic do if Amy was playable"

Though I agree, can't imagine it would have been THAT much work to do a sprite swap of Sonic to make Amy playable. I get not wanting to reprogram 1-4 games to have her play like her Sonic Advance gameplay, but just a sprite swap would probably make a lot of people happy.