• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Since these are native ports with new features I hope we get extra playable characters in each game. Amy Rose lost out on Sonic Mania so she could get a chance here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alternatively with a Series X I can play all of them anyway. With that said, I still welcome possible taxman ports, or at the very least widescreen official ports. So I'm in on this day one either way.

Series S sure is tempting for just Sonic games alone. Especially with the next Gen patches. SA1 and 2 are fine on PSNow, but Boost stages in Gen and Unleashed are a lot more iffy when playing streamed. Plus they lack the 60 fps versions.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Please be good.

They figured out a way to fuck with Sonic Colors.
They found a way to fuck with Monkey Ball Banana Mania.
Please don't screw this one up. Please.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sonic 3D Mega Collection:

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic 06
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colours
Sonic Generations

Sonic 3D Gems Collection:

Shadow The Hedgehog
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces
Sonic Unleashed Wii/PS2

Man that Gems collection is mostly awful. Just like the 2D one. It's perfect.

They're both just different levels of awful, to be fair. lol

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
What is supposed to be different from this collection and the very many Sega has already released in the past?

EDIT: like if I've already played these games am I getting anything additional or interesting out of it?

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Please be Sonic 3 & Knuckles thats included
No, NOT Sonic 3 separately and Sonic & Knuckles separately which is what it seems like might happen
I want a official combination the way it was intended

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Please be Sonic 3 & Knuckles thats included
No, NOT Sonic 3 separately and Sonic & Knuckles separately which is what it seems like might happen
I want a official combination the way it was intended

There is still merit to including both individually. Sonic 3's zones have altered level designs compared to their Sonic 3 & Knuckles equivalents, and some people might just want to play one or the other (maybe, say, speedrunners).

The ideal solution is a "lock-on" mode which boots up Sonic 3 & Knuckles when selected.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
There is still merit to including both individually. Sonic 3's zones have altered level designs compared to their Sonic 3 & Knuckles equivalents, and some people might just want to play one or the other (maybe, say, speedrunners).

The ideal solution is a "lock-on" mode which boots up Sonic 3 & Knuckles when selected.

Or some of the "pick and choose" elements you get in sonic 3 AIR.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Hmm now that I didn't know, despite me replaying both games so many times since i was young lol

You'll get all three: Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
No.... (in a positive manner)
Its hard to even be jokingly upset about more games/renditions being available lol

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm now that I didn't know, despite me replaying both games so many times since i was young lol

No.... (in a positive manner)
Its hard to even be jokingly upset about more games/renditions being available lol
I don't know of it's a hot take or not, but I always much preferred Sonic 3 as it's own game (and even then I don't like it much lol). The S&K half I find works better as a second half to S3&K rather than its own thing though.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
www.sonicstadium.org

Exclusive Interview: Takashi Iizuka Talks Colours, Origins, 2022 and Sonic's Legacy - The Sonic Stadium

FacebookTweetEmail There is perhaps nobody more eager or proud to be wishing Sonic the Hedgehog a happy 30th birthday than Takashi Iizuka. Having been deeply involved with the franchise since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the Sonic Team leader’s hands have touched every single era of the blue blur’s...

Iizuka: I'm not able to speak to the product details yet, but I can tell you that this will not be a compilation title running off emulation. We are planning on supporting a 16:9 full screen game for ease of play.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017

I remember not liking that Sonic can't fight the Sonic 3 final boss when locked on so there's certainly merits to allowing options there. I know various mods had the option to restore it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So the new things that we could be looking forward to hypothetically include:
Widescreen support
Full lock-on support
New moves like spindash in Sonic 1
Removal of MJ music in Sonic 3 (unless that was an urban legend, I don't really remember)
Maybe new playable characters (longshot?)

Any other likely changes?

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Widescreen support
Full lock-on support
Removal of MJ music in Sonic 3 (unless that was an urban legend, I don't really remember)

Knuckles in Sonic 1 and CD feels likely. Blue Sphere would be pretty cool.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Widescreen support
Full lock-on support

No Sonic 3 and Knuckles and with the original music is a instant no buy for me. I can't go back to that PC version soundtrack.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
No, no.

I don't want prototypes songs or new songs.

Original music or no buy.
That would be exceedingly unlikely, given the music sources seem to be in active dispute. Unless there's some kind of miracle in licensing, the genesis tracks may well be straight up untouchable forever. And no amount of gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes will ever change it if that's the case.

So chances or it will either be the real original tracks or new tracks entirely.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That would be exceedingly unlikely, given the music sources seem to be in active dispute. Unless there's some kind of miracle in licensing, the genesis tracks may well be straight up untouchable forever. And no amount of gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes will ever change it if that's the case.

So chances or it will either be the real original tracks or new tracks entirely.

I have to disagree. They've made the licensing work in the past and I believe they can do it again if they truly put in the effort.

I don't believe they would finally, after all this time, do another re-release and not have the original music.

Oct 27, 2017
Never thought about this until now but…

What if the games are graphically improved like Sonic Mania was compared to the original games? More colors, gradients, effects and rotations and frames of animation that were not possible on mega drive. That would be extremely cool.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have Sonic 3 with a different soundtrack than no Sonic 3 at all. (I know the game is confirmed to be included here either way, but still.)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I have to disagree. They've made the licensing work in the past and I believe they can do it again if they truly put in the effort.

I don't believe they would finally, after all this time, do another re-release and not have the original music.
My general understanding is something very drastic changed, and any new licensing now would be nothing short of heroic, which is why it's taken so long to get a re-release in the first place. Remember the last time Sonic3 ever got released was the Xbox 360 in 2009, the general hypothesis is something major changed after that, and then we discovered that Ice Cap zone was based directly off an unreleased Jetzons track.

Though I will note that your concept of "any licensing can work you just have to put in the effort" really amuses me, I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time someone discusses the legal pretzel that is NOLF. :P
I don't mean anything by it, but do keep in mind that neither of us know the true scope of the problem.

Last edited: