• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I wonder what they'll do with the soundtrack on 3&K. Don't think I can play it without MJ's Ice Cap or Launch Base lol

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they'll do with the soundtrack on 3&K. Don't think I can play it without MJ's Ice Cap or Launch Base lol

Probably proto replacements for the ones MJ specifically did

Or maybe they ask Tee to remix them? The problem is we don't know exactly what Sega's legal position is so it's hard to say.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
This honestly feels like vaporware lol, do we know who is developing it?

Footage of the two mobile ports + the original S3... no box art or platforms... hopefully it's just a lack of synergy between marketing + dev!

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
It's kind of crazy that this collection doesn't already exist on modern consoles. It feels like something that could have been ported nearly every generation as easy cash grabs.

I'm going to be very happy to have all 4 of these games on my newest console. It'll also be my first time really playing Sonic CD!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If it really is just 1-3K and CD it's a shame. I mean look at how much content is on Mega Collection Plus. We should be getting all those little games too. The Master System/Game Gear games, Spinball, Tails Adventure etc.

If Sonic 3&K is getting some cool enhancements like the mobile versions of 1 and 2, it stings a little less.

But I can't lie, I'm a little disappointed that this isn't a large collection including at least a bunch of 8-bit and handheld Sonic games.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
In all likelihood they're using 4:3 footage because the other games already have existing official ports they can piggyback from while 3K needs more time to be fully ported over.
It's just weird to have a big presentation showing this stuff off and you don't even have your shit together ha.

But if all end up getting the Sonic 1,2 and CD treatment, I'll be very happy and they really should throw Chaotix in there as well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Sonic collections should also feature better games like Ristar.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Hope this gets a physical release as I'll def be buying it on Switch. And I'll pick up a Steam version when it shows up (Prob a year later if Epic money hatted -____-)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Ice Cap actually wasn't MJ.

He was definitely involved with Carnival Night, Launch Base and the credits theme (that later became "Stranger in Moscow") but the Ice Cap theme came from elsewhere.

The keyboardist for The Jetzons was one of the other composers on Sonic 3 and ended up reusing the melody.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I am making a list for when Sega finally announce the date and its still 4:3 for 3&Knuckles...how many years you guys are fans of SEGA lol?
EZOTtrxXsAE_GL7.png
Lmao. Didn't even take an hour

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't we have a complete package of all the Sonic games? Why is it that every "collection" has an arbitrary collection of games and a lot of omissions. Why can't we have all the mainline Genesis Sonic games, the spinoffs like in Sonic Gems Collection and Chaotix.

Heck, put in Sonic Fighters as well, you already ported it to the Yakuza game so why not?

Square Enix has done and remade and remastered their classic games multiple times across multiple platforms and Sega's still struggling to put a collection of Sonic games with more than a handful of them.

Oct 25, 2017

He was definitely involved with Carnival Night, Launch Base and the credits theme (that later became "Stranger in Moscow") but the Ice Cap theme came from elsewhere.

The keyboardist for The Jetzons was one of the other composers on Sonic 3 and ended up reusing the melody.

It's probably worth mentioning that the same keyboardist Brad Buxer that created Hard Times/Ice Cap Zone was also a keyboardist for MJ and composed the credits theme and Stranger in Moscow.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The fact that they had no original art assets and didn't tell us who was developing the ports and for which platforms definitely signals that this was thrown together VERY recently and they have not actually ironed out any details yet.

Perhaps they just recently got word that the legal problems with Brad Buxer finally got resolved and they excitedly wanted to share with us that Sonic 3K can be published again?

With soft confirmation that Sonic 3K will be in widescreen, I really hope this means they're bringing Whitehead back to finish what he started and maybe give us a few other bonuses too (Drop Dash as option in all games perhaps?)

More than any other project SEGA has announced recently, this is the one I want the most exhaustive details on. Why did they wait so long to bring Sonic 1 and 2 widescreen to consoles? Were they really just waiting for a chance to bundle them with 3K?

EDIT: p.s. Nobody actually cares about any of the other Genesis/Game Gear era Sonic games. They're all bad except for Mean Bean Machine which is just Puyo. Would having these in the collection be a nice bonus? Sure, but would I actually play them? No.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they had no original art assets and didn't tell us who was developing the ports and for which platforms definitely signals that this was thrown together VERY recently and they have not actually ironed out any details yet.

Perhaps they just recently got word that the legal problems with Brad Buxer finally got resolved and they excitedly wanted to share with us that Sonic 3K can be published again?

With soft confirmation that Sonic 3K will be in widescreen, I really hope this means they're bringing Whitehead back to finish what he started and maybe give us a few other bonuses too (Drop Dash as option in all games perhaps?)

More than any other project SEGA has announced recently, this is the one I want the most exhaustive details on. Why did they wait so long to bring Sonic 1 and 2 widescreen to consoles? Were they really just waiting for a chance to bundle them with 3K?

EDIT: p.s. Nobody actually cares about any of the other Genesis/Game Gear era Sonic games. They're all bad except for Mean Bean Machine which is just Puyo. Would having these in the collection be a nice bonus? Sure, but would I actually play them? No.

you hear the word collection and automatically everyone wants every game in the series in or its a disappointment. Cant please everyone.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
good to hear they'll be updating Sonic 3

hope it's up to the same standard set by the other games

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if it's possible to make Chaotix into an actual good game. Some of my favorite Sonic music is trapped in that game.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I wonder if it's possible to make Chaotix into an actual good game. Some of my favorite Sonic music is trapped in that game.
I think it was Cybershell who summed it up: the rubberband ring is such a poor central game mechanic that it makes the game explode into a fractal of bad stage design consequences in an attempt to accommodate it. I dunno how you salvage it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'd ever happen, but it'd be cool if the 4 8bit sonic platformers & chaotix one day got the taxman treatment, perhaps spruced up in the case of the 8bit games, with new transitions, and in the case of chaotix seeing if it can be made more fun.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Scrap the tether mechanic and redo every single bit of level design and you might get there, but at that point you're running squarely into the "why isn't this just a new game" problem with drastic remakes.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think it'd ever happen, but it'd be cool if the 4 8bit sonic platformers & chaotix one day got the taxman treatment, perhaps spruced up in the case of the 8bit games, with new transitions, and in the case of chaotix seeing if it can be made more fun.
Hah, they should get Taxman and Tee Lopes to demake Sonic 4 while they're at it.

On a more reasonable note, ports of the Advance games with remastered music would be cool

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Hah, they should get Taxman and Tee Lopes to demake Sonic 4 while they're at it.

On a more reasonable note, ports of the Advance games with remastered music would be cool
I would be legitimately down for a re-interpretation of Sonic 4 (Sonic 4eva) that takes the level themes of the original games, maybe the bosses, but other than that allows Christian Whitehead to go crazy. That would essentially be a Sonic Mania 2.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Widescreen ports not stuck on mobile means once again I'm likely in on rebuying Sonic for the billionth time.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020

Wow, I didn't even know about this, thanks. Now I'm even more curious to know how they'll handle Ice Cap and if there's any rights issues like with the MJ tracks.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Widescreen would arguably positively impact the Advance games more than they did the Genesis games since they have way more difficult to react to "gotcha bitch!" moments in their level design.
Yeah, honestly when people complain about 2D Sonic featuring constant death traps and walls of spikes hitting them out of nowhere and such, I have to wonder if they only ever played the Dimps games. 16:9 is undoubtedly an improvement for the Genesis games (the Taxman mobile ports even go 21:9 on newer phones), but personally I never had as much a problem with not being able to anticipate off-screen hazards as it seems like literally everyone else on the internet has.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I didn't even know about this, thanks. Now I'm even more curious to know how they'll handle Ice Cap and if there's any rights issues like with the MJ tracks.
As was stated in another post, Buxer was MJ's music director and helped make some of MJ's songs, including the ones that were prototyped in Sonic 3. All of "MJ's" music in Sonic 3 is Buxer's music.

Buxer says he was the lead on the Sonic 3 project and MJ's involvement was minimal. Stranger in Moscow came about when he played some notes from his Sonic 3 work to MJ when MJ was looking for inspiration for a song. Considering MJ refused to be credited for Sonic 3 but Buxer is credited in Sonic 3 he's probably the one holding up the rights.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Yeah, honestly when people complain about 2D Sonic featuring constant death traps and walls of spikes hitting them out of nowhere and such, I have to wonder if they only ever played the Dimps games.
I think it's a combination of playing recklessly ("gotta go fast, right?") but also not understanding that the ring system functions the way that it does to take the edge off of the player's mistakes.

They're not as common as some people say, but there are some levels in the Genesis games where it's not reasonable to expect the player to avoid a hit on the first time through. But it's also rarely a real issue because you can always just tank the hit. I recall Dimps games being littered with a lot more bottomless pits, and rings aren't gonna save you there. I might hate Sonic Rush more than any other Sonic game I've played, and it's largely for this reason.

It's interesting to go back to the 16-bit era and take a look at all of the mascot platformer games that followed in Sonic's wake. It wasn't uncommon for them to try to copy Sonic's speed, only to then pair that with a traditional health system to mixed results. Awesome Possum and Bubsy stand out in particular.

All of "MJ's" music in Sonic 3 is Buxer's music.
It's not just him. If you Google the names of the other composers in the game's credits, you'll see that a lot of them show up as contributors to MJ's discography of the era.

To me it's always been apparent that MJ had a whole crew working on the game, even if the degree of his own personal involvement has been up to speculation.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just him. If you Google the names of the other composers in the game's credits, you'll see that a lot of them show up as contributors to MJ's discography of the era.

To me it's always been apparent that MJ had a whole crew working on the game, even if the degree of his own personal involvement has been up to speculation.
Sure, but the only songs we know are an issue are ones Buxer claims credit for.