• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, the backlash against the original design probably gave this movie a lot more publicity than it would have had originally.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
From non-critics it has been pretty positive. Critic reviews will be showing up in 3 hours and 21 minutes.
The critical reviews we have seen so far aren't too heavily geared towards one extreme or the other - the ones who liked it thought it was okay, the ones who disliked it didn't exactly hate it. Seems pretty even.

For a family-oriented movie, and an adaptation of a franchise that's had zero footprint in cinema thus far, that's probably good enough. Word of mouth is going to be key.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I actually want to go see this and may go sometime next week. It looks like a fun movie. It is not going to win any awards but it just looks like a fun movie and been a fan of Sonic since the original game.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
They better start working on the sequel
giphy.webp

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
imo the 'holiday weekend' opening metric is kinda cheating but i won't argue against it. above 50 mil for sonic in 2020 will be pretty impressive

see where it goes

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
My kid has a surprise day off from school tomorrow and I'm also suddenly kidsitting for a friend (they go to the same school) so I just might check this movie out tomorrow. Looks damn good, and Jim is almost always great in any movie so I know I'll at least be entertained.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be there Saturday and hopefully with a sequel we some Sonic friends in the mix.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The real disaster in this whole thing is Detective Pikachu getting robbed so damn hard.

Like holy shit what the hell is this timeline.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If Sonic makes more money than Birds of Prey 🙊🙊

Oh, that won't be hard to.

Well deserved.

Your move, Mario.

They need a brand new animated series first, & have a competent Japanese anime studio develop it along with the cast of characters instead of an American company like back in the late 80's & early 90's.

And they now have tons of characters in which they can use more so than either the cartoon version of "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!", "The Adventures of Super Mario Bros." & "Super Mario World".

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Seeing this on Saturday with two friends. Doing my part. Need to get in on the insanity.

Detective Pikachu was a fun movie to watch and critique. I'm thinking I'll get my money's worth here as well.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So the sequel is a Sonic 06 adaptation right

who plays the princess

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It was reported that the redesign only added $5 million to the budget. However, the same report said "any rumor alleging the redesign made the "Sonic" VFX team suffer is far from true." Which, well, turned out to be bullshit since we now know that the VFX studio behind it had to do a shitton of overtime while working on the movie, they were then also shut down a couple of months ago on top of that. So I'd take that report with a bunch of salt.
Given how the VFX industry works, it's entirely possible, and in fact probable, that that would have been the case with or without the redesign.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Memes, the DNA of the Soul!

.....Also Jim Carrey will probably be amazing.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I might have to see it tomorrow too if the reviews aren't mediocre
Needs to either be good or REALLY bad

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
From non-critics it has been pretty positive. Critic reviews will be showing up in 3 hours and 21 minutes.

Yep, my review goes live alongside all the others at 1 a.m. ET / 10 p.m. PT. Where's that Review Thread going, here or EtcetEra? And are all of the spoilers already somewhere here? I'll happily throw up some spoiiler-tag goodness once the embargo's up, if people haven't already trawled Reddit for the deets.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how the VFX industry works, it's entirely possible, and in fact probable, that that would have been the case with or without the redesign.
Oh definitely, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were already crunching before the redesign. But it's not exactly "far from the truth" that the VFX team suffered cause of the redesign, since it meant they had to deal with even more crunch than they already had to.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Always imagine the presented budget and double it to account for anything outside film production.
Yeah, marketing and also the fact that the distributors don't get 100% of the ticket sales. The theater gets a cut, which gets bigger for them the longer a movie sticks around.

So it's not like a hard "this movie's total costs were (budget times two)," but if Sonic cost $100m to make and it grossed $100m, that doesn't mean Paramount broke even.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Tracking means so little, especially with no reviews out. It's just a prediction.
You can see how well tracking predicted Birds of Prey, and that movie reviewed well

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine all the new young fans coming out of the theater that will want to try the latest Sonic game after loving this movie to then meet Sonic Forces. :lol

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't have any plans on watching it but i hope it finds success. would be cool if this and det pikachu is the start of non shitty videogame movies. wreck it ralph 2 was garbage.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
But there's already been a couple good video game movies already. Silent Hill, and especially Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright.

I'll likely be going to see Sonic this weekend. I'm not expecting a whole lot, but I'm hoping it'll be an entertaining watch regardless.