• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad to see more people with that opinion now. Got so tired of defending my enjoyment of the US soundtrack to people while also thinking the other one was also good and not just cursing it as a horibla change that the US dun fucked up.

Spencer Nilsen wrote some of the very best soundtracks on the Sega CD, it's not like they got some b-rate replacement. They basically put the best western dude on the system on the project. His ecco the dolphin soundtracks are amazing:

He wrote some great music with a melancholy, almost haunting mood to his stuff, which actually fit in really well with the general vibe of the Sega CD and Sonic CD. The Sega CD console itself had this very sinister vibe to it, it felt like an adult console. Buying a Sega CD from scratch in 1993 meant buying a Genesis and a Sega CD and it wound up being like $599 if you did that. So it was assumed everyone who owned the system had lots of disposable income, and thus were older, and thats why you saw things like Mortal Kombat get released completely uncensored.

The darker, more moody songs of Spencer Nilsen wound up fitting Sonic CD's bad future motif very well. Great soundtrack. I like his version of Quartz Quadrant Future especially.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know why Sega decided to write a new soundtrack for U.S. Sonic CD?
House music simply wasn't in style in the US. Sega handled these early Sonic games with an insane amount of care, despite their rushed schedules. Sonic 1, for example, they are said to have iterated on Green Hill Zone dozens of times until they got it right. Sega basically bet the entire company on Sonic, they needed every flagship Sonic game they put out to basically be a hit, and they basically all were. As CD audio was a huge selling point for the Sega CD, they wanted to include a soundtrack more in line with American tastes at the time than House music.

Nilsen's soundtrack skirted this line between cinematic and alt-rock and thus felt appropriate enough for western tastes compared to something more experimental, by comparison, like the original JPN soundtrack. When you compare to the earlier Sonic soundtracks, like Sonic 1 and 2, those were really more like pop soundtracks, really in line with the top 100 type of music world wide. Sonic has had a very big focus on music since it's inception, it's not noticed as much in the west but in japan, Sonic 1 and 2 had a major musician attached to it. Sonic the hedgehog itself was first unveiled to the world, ever, as artwork on the side of their touring bus. Sega took Sonic's music very, very seriously, and Sega of America was allowed way, way more control over their branch than Nintendo of America. SoJ tasked Sega of America with doing whatever it took to gain 51% of the market, and if they felt like the soundtrack needed to be changed, so be it.

House music rules, though, and eventually caught on in the US decades later, letting many more people appreciate both soundtracks.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know why Sega decided to write a new soundtrack for U.S. Sonic CD?
The conversation probably started when soa heard that the title song was called "toot toot sonic warrior" and instead of just changing that, they went overboard and changed everything for the worse.

It's interesting that they didn't also redo the chip music being used for the past levels. Another cool feature of the MegaCD was the ricoh sound chip which SonicCD made great use of. Essentially, you had chip-remixes of the redbook tracks - and when you played the US version, I think you really lost something of the experience because there was no continuity between the CDDA and the chip tunes.

The Palmtree Panic US track is actually really great, but the rest of the soundtrack is disappointing. I do think it made sense to to have a new title track, but maybe instead of the kind of flat "Sonic Boom" they could have changed up the lead singer of Toot-Toot (keeping the backing rap-vocals) and maybe changed the title to something less goofy sounding.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm so glad to see more people with that opinion now. Got so tired of defending my enjoyment of the US soundtrack to people while also thinking the other one was also good and not just cursing it as a horibla change that the US dun fucked up.

i mean, i grew up with the Sonic CD USA soundtrack-- got the game for Christmas 1993-- and boy did I love the soundtrack. But you know what? I felt like a lot of it didn't really "match" the stages or fit the aesthetics of a Sonic game. It seemed like the soundtrack to an dark fantasy Amiga port or a shmup. idk

That being said, the Japanese soundtrack fits the game MUCH better.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I like the American soundtrack for Sonic CD, but I agree that the Japanese one fits the aesthetic much better.

I feel similarly to the Sonic 3D soundtracks, the Genesis tracks probably fit the game more, though in that case I would give the edge to the Saturn version because the quality is overall better (entirely imo, of course). Can't deny the Genesis version has some bangers though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sonic CD's US ost is mostly fine for the most part, but what the fuck were they thinking with this:

That's Silent Hill music, not Sonic.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I started pressing buttons during the multimedia tech demo and now I've somehow ended up stuck on the twinkling star field at the beginning.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing regarding the music changes, to add onto what Krejlooc was saying, is this was pretty common among Americanization process for a lot of foreign media (usually and largely Japanese, honestly). It wasn't too common with video games as it tended to happen more with localized animation here in the states, but occasionally you'd run into this (majority of the Dragon Ball Z games had the entire soundtrack changed for the North American builds, though it was inconsistent as sometimes the Kikuchi re-mixes and stuff would remain in certain parts, such as the menus and stuff). One thing that would be the most subjected to was video game vocal songs, which sometimes came down to a combination of licensing and sometimes (and really more often than not) changed because of Localization.

Was just a thing that used to occur a lot back in the day and is now less common place.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I love the US Sonic CD soundtrack. Once I bought the Japanese version and realized what a non-controversy it was, I was basically over Gamefan. That and the promise in a Gamefan Tips & Secrets article that there was a bonus level if you beat the game with... all gems? I think? It's been a long time, but I remember that bit and feeling completely ripped off when it turned out to not be true. Sonic CD was then and is now my favorite Sonic game, and I would have loved just a little bit more.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this version uses the loop files to make the music loop. I'm curious to know what they had in mind with it, I guess playing them based on a timer?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, add me to the group that likes the US OST but will 100% agree that the EU/JP OST fits better.

It's funny, there was a point in time where if someone mentioned Stardust Speedway to me, the first song to come to mind would be the (still great) US version. These days, you say Stardust Speedway and my mind jumps to that HUE HUE sample.

Nevertheless, exciting times!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
What an interesting year this has been. First a Sonic 2 prototype out of nowhere, back in February, now all this to (likely) close out the year!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
16-bit Sonic prototype stuff is always exciting.

I love the US Sonic CD soundtrack. Once I bought the Japanese version and realized what a non-controversy it was, I was basically over Gamefan. That and the promise in a Gamefan Tips & Secrets article that there was a bonus level if you beat the game with... all gems? I think? It's been a long time, but I remember that bit and feeling completely ripped off when it turned out to not be true. Sonic CD was then and is now my favorite Sonic game, and I would have loved just a little bit more.
Gamefan was weird. They were necessary for me because they had the best Japanese import coverage but the downside was that their Japan-o-philia often turned into West bashing.

Like with Saturn Shinobi, I love both soundtracks despite the existence of two being unnecessary. I agree with those saying the NA Sonic CD one sometimes doesn't fit as well. Collision Chaos is an exception, though, as I think the trippier NA music suits the level more.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My fav US track is the bonus area. Is the only one I would also say it may surprass it's JP counterpart.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
One thing regarding the music changes, to add onto what Krejlooc was saying, is this was pretty common among Americanization process for a lot of foreign media (usually and largely Japanese, honestly). It wasn't too common with video games as it tended to happen more with localized animation here in the states, but occasionally you'd run into this (majority of the Dragon Ball Z games had the entire soundtrack changed for the North American builds, though it was inconsistent as sometimes the Kikuchi re-mixes and stuff would remain in certain parts, such as the menus and stuff). One thing that would be the most subjected to was video game vocal songs, which sometimes came down to a combination of licensing and sometimes (and really more often than not) changed because of Localization.

Was just a thing that used to occur a lot back in the day and is now less common place.
Here's a feature about the Sonic CD composer, Spencer Nielsen.
Apparently Sega USA found the original soundtrack too electronic, and had him redo it in just 7 weeks!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Gamefan was weird. They were necessary for me because they had the best Japanese import coverage but the downside was that their Japan-o-philia often turned into West bashing.

Like with Saturn Shinobi, I love both soundtracks despite the existence of two being unnecessary. I agree with those saying the NA Sonic CD one sometimes doesn't fit as well. Collision Chaos is an exception, though, as I think the trippier NA music suits the level more.

I knew something was wrong when I realized the theme song was using the phrase "Toot toot sonic warrior". I'd just spent... $80-ish? in 1994 money to import a game I already owned and it was singing Toot Toot Sonic Warrior at me.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew something was wrong when I realized the theme song was using the phrase "Toot toot sonic warrior". I'd just spent... $80-ish? in 1994 money to import a game I already owned and it was singing Toot Toot Sonic Warrior at me.
I still associate that song (minus the vocals) more with 8-bit Sonic 2 than anything else.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sega had a policy before Winter CES 1992 where they would mail out prototype versions of their games to game magazines to preview, which was different from many other game companies at the time which would only show case their early build of games at tradeshows. This was done so that Sega's top games would get much more magazine coverage than normal, a tactic they used to help them rise to prominence and overtake nintendo in global sales in the early part of the 90's, as they began with less than 5% of the total market and were a non-factor coming out of SMS era. By sending their prototype games to magazines, they could take pictures directly in their office and play and write about the games at length.

That backfired when the build of Sonic 2 known as the Simon Wai beta managed to leak into china, where pirated copies of it hit the market before Sonic 2 was even released. This caused Sega to change their practice, which is why games after 1992 are much rarer to get a hold of. After this change, Sega would only mail out tapes of their games to magazines, and only let the press play their games at tradeshows or at events at Sega of America. This is part of the reason it was so very hard to get our hands on Sonic Xtreme, as it just was never in many people's hands like prior games.

That hasn't stopped them from coming, though. Another factor in Sonic games releasing more often is that, after Sonic 1, Sonic the Hedgehog game development moved to the United States. Yuji Naka actually quit Sega of Japan over a dispute after Sonic 1 and was going to leave the company totally, but Sega of America swooped in and rehired him. As a result, Sonic Team was disbanded until they reformed to make NiGHTS into Dreams, and Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic Spinball were all made in San Fransisco at Sega of America under the studio name STI (Sega technical institute). Because of this, it's much easier to find people who still have their debug hardware, or to find development computers in general, as the west has much better archival practices than the east. Western game development evolved out of University comp sci courses, where eastern game development was basically cowboy coding. As such, western development tends to be better at archival. For example, in Japan, it's uncommon to find old computers *at all*. In some areas of japan, it was even en vogue to recycle your computer entirely when your company would upgrade, so they outright don't exist anymore as much.

On top of all this, sometimes sonic stuff it outright found in the completed game -- this is something that can happen just as often with other game franchises, but doesn't, because the Sonic Hacking scene is much more organized and driven than most other hacking scenes. The Sonic hacking scene goes back to 1997 and has been one of the most active retro console demoscenes over the last 20 years. Lots of people taking apart the games, means more eyes looking for lost content. For example, the prototype stuff from Sonic Adventure, like the lost prototype version of Windy Valley, is actually found from the Gamecube release of Sonic Adventure DX, where they used a slightly older version of Sonic Adventure as the base to port from, and didn't totally remove the unused content. Another example is the Java Mobile Phone versions of Sonic 1 released back around 2006, it was built from a slightly earlier version of Sonic 1's source code that featured lost graphics, like the UFOs in Marble Zone, and more importantly, they forgot to strip the debug symbols out during assembly and compilation, so we could take them to apply them to the machine disassembly to arrive back at the original source code, with the original labels and everything.

Thanks for the explanation. This is fascinating stuff.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is exciting but I'm just about to watch a movie. I'll have to check back in later.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
ahh the old logo. I remember that one. And toot toot in the title screen is so much better!