• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 67800

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
E4l-2hXVEAIYEDT

www.epicgames.com

Get A Free Game Every Week | Epic Games Store

Download a free game or join a free-to-play game community today!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't impressed with Sonic Mania, but free is a good price for it.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
1. Sonic Mania is a gem, enjoy it. Best game in the series since the Genesis days.

2. If you get motion sickness I'd advise against playing Horizon Chase Turbo.

That is all.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was strangely addicting. The physics/turning is weird, probably trying to mimic those old Lotus games on the Amiga.

Sonic Mania played just like a Sonic game, so yeah, if you want more Sonic it's a no-brainer.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Every game on the EGS has the platforms in the description, under where it says "Platform".

Neither Sonic Mania nor Horizon Chase Turbo work on Mac (at least on EGS, dunno if they have Mac ports elsewhere).
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks so much for checking and letting me know.

Velox Cor

Apr 23, 2021
Tried them both on Epic, and promptly headed to Steam to pick them up during the sale only to find out they are not on sale. Now to try and find discounted Steam keys on third party sites.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Tried them both on Epic, and promptly headed to Steam to pick them up during the sale only to find out they are not on sale. Now to try and find discounted Steam keys on third party sites.
butwhy.gif

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of EGS either, but once I've got the game, I've got the game. I'm not going to go spend money on something I already own, no matter the storefront.

Velox Cor

Apr 23, 2021
butwhy.gif

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of EGS either, but once I've got the game, I've got the game. I'm not going to go spend money on something I already own, no matter the storefront.

You're absolutely right. This is something I need to continue to work on. I just have the hardest time playing anything to completion on Epic. I understand it's irrational, but it's unfortunately one of the symptoms of this condition I am currently struggling with.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
You're absolutely right. This is something I need to continue to work on. I just have the hardest time playing anything to completion on Epic. I understand it's irrational, but it's unfortunately one of the symptoms of this condition I am currently struggling with.
One thing that helps is not using the launcher. Make a desktop shortcut, so you just double-click it and the game starts, kind of takes EGS out of it. Of the games I have on EGS, the one that I keep coming back to is SnowRunner, and I often forget that it's not a "regular" Steam game because it's just lumped in with all my other game shortcuts on my desktop.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that helps is not using the launcher. Make a desktop shortcut, so you just double-click it and the game starts, kind of takes EGS out of it. Of the games I have on EGS, the one that I keep coming back to is SnowRunner, and I often forget that it's not a "regular" Steam game because it's just lumped in with all my other game shortcuts on my desktop.
That, and add the game to your Steam client (as a non-Steam game). (Though the EGS client will sometimes need to be open either way.)

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funniest part about "feeling" you own it or not is that Epic frequently is giving away DRM free copies of these games, whereas Steam still refuses- always a plus in my book.

There's of course ways to make these exes not rely on either launcher, or so I've read somewhere once.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I haven't bought a game on epic store yet, but my library is bursting with great titles.
hurray EPIC!

Horizon Chase Turbo is really good by the way. I was looking for some discussion but it doesn't seem like it picked up around here.
I could use some tips!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The funniest part about "feeling" you own it or not is that Epic frequently is giving away DRM free copies of these games, whereas Steam still refuses- always a plus in my book.
That's not up to Steam at all. It's entirely up to the developer as to how the game functions, integrates with the Steam API and even signs executables. Likewise with EGS; In most (all?) cases the "DRM free" builds on EGS is simply because nothing about the EGS API is implemented.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why am I so bad at Sonic Mania

I swear I'm good at other games

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should have used "&" in the title. My brain wants to read "Sonic Mania +" as "Sonic Mania Plus".

xpownz

ā–² Legend ā–²
Feb 13, 2020
EGS is being great with giveaways these days. My steam is becoming a CSGO/Dota platform while I play most games on EGS.
Also: Horizon Chase Turbo is amazing and they have a Topgear3k easter egg song as HCT has the same ost composer from Topgear

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Why am I so bad at Sonic Mania

I swear I'm good at other games

The level design in it is really bad. They're way too long and too cluttered. I had a hard time more than once in Studiopoils trying to find the right way to go. The bosses are some of the worst in the franchise, too. I don't know how you're supposed to beat them without looking up a guide first. They're all basically puzzles. It's not really clear how you're supposed to fight any of them. I've died more in Mania that I probably did in all the Genesis games combined.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The level design in it is really bad. They're way too long and too cluttered. I had a hard time more than once in Studiopoils trying to find the right way to go. The bosses are some of the worst in the franchise, too. I don't know how you're supposed to beat them without looking up a guide first. They're all basically puzzles. It's not really clear how you're supposed to fight any of them. I've died more in Mania that I probably did in all the Genesis games combined.

I feel like we must have played different games.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic is running like shit on my PC (Ryzen 3900X, RTX3090). It's all stuttery and full of slowdown, even running at 1080p.