• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I know nothing about Sonic Fox other than its awesome to have the courage to acknowledge/realize who you are publicly.

I guess I Stan for SF now guys

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
You do you SonicFox. We still stanning.

This is great.

In 1660, George Fox, the founder of Quakerism, wrote a whole book labeling anyone who used singular you an idiot or a fool. And eighteenth-century grammarians like Robert Lowth and Lindley Murray regularly tested students on thou as singular, you as plural, despite the fact that students used singular you when their teachers weren't looking, and teachers used singular you when their students weren't looking. Anyone who said thou and thee was seen as a fool and an idiot, or a Quaker, or at least hopelessly out of date.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think it's important to note that SonicFox is also the person that did a 72 hour stream just recently to help raise funds for the Trevor Project (they raised a total of $22,251.83).

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, the salt of some people because Sonic Fox had the GALL to ask to be recognized for who they are.

"BUBU THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THOOO", get fucked.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The funny thing about the pedantry of not accepting they as a singular pronoun is that it's used in everyday life all the time. Like... get over it.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
All my support to them.

I admit that there are things I don't understand, but I'm glad that people like Sonic Fox may help me see and wrap my mind around questions like this. People should be what the fuck they want and I'm sure that his/their example will help some people feeling not wrong. :)

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All my support to them.

I admit that there are things I don't understand, but I'm glad that people like Sonic Fox may help me see and wrap my mind around questions like this. People should be what the fuck they want and I'm sure that his/their example will help some people feeling not wrong. :)

I think this is the right sentiment to have. If you start from a place of respect and support, the understanding will come (from my personal experience, anyway).

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've been busy most of the day, but I happened to see the thread when he posted it and it honestly warmed my heart. I've partially openly identified as a non binary woman for about 10 months now and it was such a stressful thing to take that step to be open about it to my friends and partner (not my family--I'm afab and okay with she/her pronouns so it's just not worth the trouble to me honestly). Seeing sonicfox openly identify as a NB man makes me so validated and so happy--representation does matter a ton....

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
All my support to them.

Quick note, you don't have to combine both pronouns into one, it's presented as an either or choice. You didn't do anything wrong, just thought I'd let you know. :p

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I came to the realization she/they suits me just a few months ago. Happy Sonicfox is always so unabashedly themself, f the haters.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I saw this thread when I was on my way to bed. It sparked an hour+ long super nice conversation with my partner about my feelings when it comes to my own identity.
When I woke up I felt like I have figured some things out and understand myself better!

I've liked Sonic Fox since I first heard of them at The Game Awards. That speech was great. And then the TERF stuff, the charity and general wholesomeness. I wish more people were like them.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Honest question: if you really are going to ask people to identify you as "he" or "they", how many people are really going to go for "they"?

Or is what SonicFox saying they want to go from being called "he" --> "they"
Still reading through the thread but I was thinking this too, I don't really know any non binary people.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Is it me or being from another generation that genders are so confusing. I think of myself as very accepting, i just can not keep up. How can you know how to call someone they/she/he? If SonicFox himself is confused how to hell am i supposed to know. They need to teach this at schools from now on.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Honest question: if you really are going to ask people to identify you as "he" or "they", how many people are really going to go for "they"?

Or is what SonicFox saying they want to go from being called "he" --> "they"
Is it me or being from another generation that genders are so confusing. I think of myself as very accepting, i just can not keep up. How can you know how to call someone they/she/he? If SonicFox himself is confused how to hell am i supposed to know. They need to teach this at schools from now on.
It means they're comfortable with using either. It might be that they want to explore using non-gendered pronouns to see if it's something that resonates with them - or that they sincerely don't mind either way. If they're coming to all of this later in life having been AMAB (assigned male at birth) then it might be they feel comfortable with he/his as it's familiar and what people close to them have always used.

This is obviously speculation when it comes to SonicFox themselves, but hopefully gives some insight into why two sets of pronouns can be given in the wider context of non-binary people.

I might choose to use they/them for them - as I have in this post - to try and both help normalise it in discussions and recognise that element of their identity.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Even though i read threadmark i am still confused about he/they how are they interchangeable

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Even though i read threadmark i am still confused about he/they how are they interchangeable
"I like SonicFox I think he's a cool person"
"I like SonicFox I think they're a cool person"
"I'm a fan of SonicFox, I like him a lot"
"I'm a fan of SonicFox, I like them a lot"

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
"I like SonicFox I think he's a cool person"
"I like SonicFox I think they're a cool person"
"I'm a fan of SonicFox, I like him a lot"
"I'm a fan of SonicFox, I like them a lot"

Isnt in english (not my first language) he/she/it means single person while they/we/you means multiple person?
Shouldnt he call himself "it" in this example
this is confusing as hell

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Isnt in english (not my first language) he/she/it means single person while they/we/you means multiple person?
Nope, singular they is a thing.

I'm very confused by people not knowing this. English is my second language (that I from a young age mainly learned via games, movies and books) and I have known about singular they from the start.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

They/them can be used in both the singular and plural.

"SonicFox is good at MK, I hope they put on a good match"
"Those players are good at MK, I hope they put on a good match"
Both are correct uses of they, even if it sounds a little awkward in the singular.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
No, it wouldn't be it. You frequently use they in the singular in English when referring to people you don't know very well or are unsure of their gender:

"Which way did they go?"
"Oh they were about six feet tall I think"
"I'm not sure but I think they're with the other group"
"I think they dropped their credit card"

It's used all the time. Adjusting it to someone that you do know isn't that hard.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I'm actually not sure! I use dude as a gender neutral term, but if that's wrong I'm open to being corrected.

I use that aswell, but there are people who use "dudette" and fuck everything up.

Ser you in seven days, goodbye.

I got seven days for talking about piracy, if that comment gets seven days I would be utterly mad.

I'm so happy for SonicFox, just a couple days ago I came out as bi and suprised several of my mma classmates, said they could've never guessed it, I asked way, and one of them said "I don't know, you don't sound gay to me". Felt like a Key and Peele skecht.

Last edited:

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
When I was in school there was a big drive to remove "they" from use in essays etc. They wanted us to specifically use he/she instead of they. I'm not sure just how widespread that was but according to "Oxford English" at least this did mean a lot of people think that using "they" is not correct grammar

Never stuck with me because writing out he/she seems way more stupid than they but it has stuck for a few people I work with

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Might make more linguistical sense if we said they is when talking singular and they are when talking plural.
..or we could stick to how it's currently used in the singular and not pretend like this is somehow mind-breaking.

"Ignore Jamie, they're just jealous that you got a sweet and they didn't"
"Ignore Jamie, they's just jealous that you got a sweet and they didn't"

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Bless them <3

Am I a terrible person if his #IMGAY hashtag thing now means less to me?
I probably am

But it did mean something to me

😐

They mentioned later in the tweet thread that they are more likely pansexual than anything, but went on to say that gender and sexuality are confusing. (They're right.)
That said, the hashtag's importance isn't necessarily diminished just because the person who started it doesn't fully identify with it anymore. If it meant something to you, then latch onto that feeling and run with it. :)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is not grammatically correct when referring to an individual though.

I have no problem not referring to somone as "he/she" or "him/her." But "they" implies plural.

See the following:

You wouldn't say, for example "The object belongs to them." when referring to a non-binary individual. The English language requires the word "him," "her," or "it" for an individual.

They/them is used a ton in casual spoken language to refer to individuals (outside of any gender topics). Where is X? They're over there. Don't snatch that, give it back to them.

I don't fully understand some of the more complex pronoun usage (xie etc?) but they/them is pretty simple and universal IMO

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
They/them can be used in both the singular and plural.

"SonicFox is good at MK, I hope they put on a good match"
"Those players are good at MK, I hope they put on a good match"
Both are correct uses of they, even if it sounds a little awkward in the singular.

Any idea how this would translate into a language where there's a feminine and a masculine "they"?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how this would translate into a language where there's a feminine and a masculine "they"?

I don't know any way to do this in, say, spanish other than saying, like "el o ella"

but even that would be binary.

EDIT: Wait, there is also usted and ustedes. Bonus is that you sound extra respectful.

PowerBar

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
..or we could stick to how it's currently used in the singular and not pretend like this is somehow mind-breaking.

"Ignore Jamie, they're just jealous that you got a sweet and they didn't"
"Ignore Jamie, they's just jealous that you got a sweet and they didn't"

Well when you're taught otherwise, and they used as a singular isn't part of your vocabulary, it is kind of mind-breaking. It takes time to get used to, I guess. And I doesn't help if you get all condescending about it.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Jesus, the salt of some people because Sonic Fox had the GALL to ask to be recognized for who they are.

"BUBU THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THOOO", get fucked.

This post is unnecessary hostile. This concept is still new to a lot of people, and having the attitude of "get fucked" because they don't understand helps no one.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It typically doesn't, not easily, and that's something that's being actively challenged and discussed at the moment in things like localisation issues.

Non-binary people exist in countries with these languages, so I'm usually far more interested in hearing from them than the usual people that come in with "it's impossible" as the be all and end all of it.

Considering non-binary identities aren't going anywhere and people will (hopefully) over time start to feel more comfortable openly identifying as such, it seems an inevitability that non-binary characters will appear in movies, films and books. So this is something that should be challenged and discussed instead of dismissed out of hand.

Well when you're taught otherwise, and they used as a singular isn't part of your vocabulary, it is kind of mind-breaking. It takes time to get used to, I guess. And I doesn't help if you get all condescending about it.
Apologies, it's hard not to be condescending when people persistently act like it's not something that's already a part of the language or needs changing.

It's already been discussed in the thread numerous times so when you're not taking that on board in favour of making unnecessary suggestions at how we should instead change the language it's hard to take in good faith.

Last edited: