• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can someone please explain to me what this means?
It can mean many things as it's both an umbrella-term for a number of identities alongside being one that many people choose to identify with specifically. Fundamentally it means that you don't identify as strictly a man or a woman - that it isn't a binary check mark in one of those boxes to you.

Naturally that's a very surface-level view as once you break outside of those two there's an entire spectrum between, but hopefully it starts to give a bit of an idea.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It can mean many things as it's both an umbrella-term for a number of identities alongside being one that many people choose to identify with specifically. Fundamentally it means that you don't identify as strictly a man or a woman - that it isn't a binary check mark in one of those boxes to you.

Naturally that's a very surface-level view as once you break outside of those two there's an entire spectrum between, but hopefully it starts to give a bit of an idea.

Yeah thank you :) I was actually reading the thread linked in the threadmark.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The company I work for lists people who work for it by "man/woman/non-binary" so it's not like they can't adapt.

The idea that our language has to stay stagnant along with our culture simply doesn't match what history tells us.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Being nonbinary myself, it takes a lot of bravery to come out. I'm really happy that SonicFox was able to make the decision! Good for them!

I can only imagine. This is the first place I've ever been completely honest about myself, because telling those close to me just seems so hard.

I'm on holiday with my parents atm and have been, for the last few weeks, toying with the idea of telling them while we're away and enjoying some time together, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to avoid it.

I have nothing but immense respect for those that have had the strength to do so!

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
You do know someone that ask for this? I'm in Quebec, I've never ever came across this. I thought it was USA only!
Yes. I grew up in Montreal, QC and now live in Calgary, AB and know friends in both cities that ask for this. The discourse around terms like these develops and grows constantly these days (with the help of public figures like SonicFox, I should add)...by no means would everyone come across it, but it's certainly being discussed.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I mean, most Americans are not versed in this area, either. There are probably people having these discussions and identifying all kinds of ways in Canada, too.

Sure but it's far from being as known as in the United States. The only time I ever read about this subject is on the internet. I mean I've been from east to west all across Canada and never met ANYONE asking to be called it they or them. Can we still call them by their name? Where does this come from? They is plural, how ...? He's more than one person? Come on, bear with me I simply don't get it. I'm open minded, I wouldn't care calling him they, but then why this decision? Is it something to make the person more special or something? Pronoun thing is like super new. I even saw someone on the internet wanted to be called a Panda. Like very serious about it. Do these persons simply don't believe in science and human biology anymore?

For me, it hits me the same way as someone who think the planet is flat and space screenshots are all CGI! Omg..

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Gender isn't binary, being "non-binary" means you define your gender in non-traditional ways. It's not a lack of gender, it's more like a new gender not constrained to just "male" or "female."
Why does it use "they" then? When typically "they" refers to multiple persons. I thought non-binary was, sure not a specific gender, but I didn't see it as "multiple".

EDIT: okay guys I get it please stop.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Why does it use "they" then? When typically "they" refers to multiple persons. I thought non-binary was, sure not a specific gender, but I didn't see it as "multiple".
They is a common way of specifying a person or persons without assigning gender. Like if you don't know if your new boss is going to be a man or a woman, you could say "I hope they're better than the old guy."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sure but it's far from being as known as in the United States. The only time I ever read about this subject is on the internet. I mean I've been from east to west all across Canada and never met ANYONE asking to be called it they or them. Can we still call them by their name? Where does this come from? They is plural, how ...? He's more than one person? Come on, bear with me I simply don't get it. I'm open minded, I wouldn't care calling him they, but then why this decision? Is it something to make the person more special or something? Pronoun thing is like super new. I even saw someone on the internet wanted to be called a Panda. Like very serious about it. Do these persons simply don't believe in science and human biology anymore?

For me, it hits me the same way as someone who think the planet is flat and space screenshots are all CGI! Omg..
this is a very odd comment

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine getting this mad over someone's preferred pronouns

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Great for SonicFox on at least 2 counts.
One is because they is a great person in general to begin with.
And Second is for the great grammar lessons about people learning that "they" can be singular as well and that if that was not the case there's a whole lot of books and even legal texts that are gonna be severely wrong just to be extra transphobic.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Odd? Why? Alright I'll just leave this thread. I'm confused
Because you could read this thread or look it up on the internet that's at your fingertips or watch videos on the subject? Instead of just throwing your hands up and saying welp, this is some new age shit, I'll never understand it. What you said was dismissive and tbh, feels like you don't want to do the bare minimum to educate yourself. It's not that difficult.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Unlike a lot of other languages out there on our planet, English has traditionally lacked a gender-neutral singular pronoun that is appropriate for people rather than things. However, seeing a need for such a pronoun, English speakers have at various times tried to create on. Some people have tried to create a new pronoun from scratch to fill this gap, such as "xe/xer/xim" or such, but those attempts never remotely caught on. Instead, adapting "they/their/them" into the role of a singular pronoun has been a much more popular usage.

This isn't even the first time this has happened in Modern English. A few hundred years ago, "you/your" was a pronoun used for addressing multiple people or in a very polite or formal manner. If you wanted to address a singular friend, you would use "thou/thy". This is a division that is still used in various European languages. However, "thou" fell out of favor and into disuse, so "you" was adapted to fill its place. That is the nature of language: how people use words drifts and changes all the time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The company I work for lists people who work for it by "man/woman/non-binary" so it's not like they can't adapt.

The idea that our language has to stay stagnant along with our culture simply doesn't match what history tells us.

The company I worked for used to ask everyone what their preferred pronoun was.

I don't think the company ever asked my gender identity. Maybe the government paperwork did when I completed some of the payroll forms.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they can continue to be true to themself. It takes a lot of strength and courage to do so. SonicFox is a real inspiration.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Sure but it's far from being as known as in the United States. The only time I ever read about this subject is on the internet. I mean I've been from east to west all across Canada and never met ANYONE asking to be called it they or them.

Lol, did you miss Toronto? And every other major Canadian city?

Much of the current modern trans & non-binary movements originated in Toronto. To say this isn't a thing in Canada is just bananas brother.

Maybe start reading the CBC?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ry-birth-certificate-recipient-says-1.4652175

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

Most job offerings I see nowadays look for (f/m/d) (female/male/diverse).
I think there are several promising signs for change already, but key is always representation, so that new generations grow up and incorporate it into their conception of the norm.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not big on esports but I appreciate its ability to lead this kind of discussion. Not a lot of athletes talking about this stuff.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Except there's literally a designation of 'LGBT' - 'LGBTQ2+' - that's primarily used in Canada. Where the 2 stands for two-spirit and in part refers to non-binary gender identities.
it is more accurate to understand them as individuals who take on a gender status that is different from both men and women.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was confused too, this video helped explain it

Okay that explains how Sonix Fox can call himself as a "non-binary man" and cleared up that confusion but now I have new questions. So the YouTuber said genders are like a spectrum, and on some particular days they might feel like they place on a different part of the spectrum. However, what does it mean to be a man or a woman on the spectrum? Like what is the difference someone would feel between both ends?

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Lol, did you miss Toronto? And every other major Canadian city?

Much of the current modern trans & non-binary movements originated in Toronto. To say this isn't a thing in Canada is just bananas brother.

Maybe start reading the CBC?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ry-birth-certificate-recipient-says-1.4652175

I don't fucking care.
Except there's literally a designation of 'LGBT' - 'LGBTQ2+' - that's primarily used in Canada. Where the 2 stands for two-spirit and in part refers to non-binary gender identities.

Thank you

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
download1i5k0y.jpeg
Samesies

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Transphobia; History of severe infractions
Two Canadians in this thread asserting non binary people don't exist in Canada.

Hmmmm

Never ever saw one. Most of my friends are gay, black, seen so much and been through so much. I work with a woman that has changed her name 3 time and became a man. But never seen one single person who asked me or anyone to be called them it they cat or dog. Never. I'm puzzled af and why, on earth, would anyone care about this personal, singular individuals thinking of asking all your surrounding this. Why? Ain't there so many more community involved things you could do, help people. The world is struggling, literally on fire and no one is talking about it, main media's does not cover it. But here, the world is shaking when a known single person is asking for people, to be called as a different pronoun.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Never ever saw one. Most of my friends are gay, black, seen so much and been through so much. I work with a woman that has changed her name 3 time and became a man. But never seen one single person who asked me or anyone to be called them it they cat or dog. Never. I'm puzzled af and why, on earth, would anyone care about this personal, singular individuals thinking of asking all your surrounding this. Why? Ain't there so many more community involved things you could do, help people. The world is struggling, literally on fire and no one is talking about it, main media's does not cover it. But here, the world is shaking when a known single person is asking for people, to be called as a different pronoun.
It's hard for you to understand why people are supportive of someone coming out as being non-binary?

You're legitimately stumped as to why people would be happy that someone that's renown for being a positive role model might inspire others to come out and be able to live as they want?

The world isn't shaking, people are happy for someone. You're the one crowing about climate change over a single forum topic and the notion of having to use a pronoun in a manner in which it's already used.

The only person overreacting over this is you, having a minor meltdown at people responding well to positive news in miserable times.

Oct 26, 2017

I think your world is shaking because you've yet to learn simple things, such as the concept of mutual exclusivity or even false dilemmas.

Stop passing lazy anecdotes as fact.

"Never ever saw one". Christ

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You're making this way more complicated than it is.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool on this person or making these conversations more common and acceptable in some spaces.

I might not fully get it, but shit, i'm making someone happy with typing two extra letters, thats decent, kind and really really easy.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sonic Fox is the person who won esports player of the year at the VGA, right?
Their acceptance speech was adorbs!
They end it with "I'm black, gay and a furry. Everything a republican hates", haha.

Comes off as a great person with what little I know, so I'm happy they're receiving lots of support!

Edit:

So precious!