• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does this mean I have to refer to sonicfox as he or they? Anyways, good that he/they feels comfortable sharing this in the community.
for non-binary people, they is usually a safe choice unless they tell you otherwise. sf is just letting people know they're cool with either

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
SonicFox is seriously the best thing to happen to the FGC in a long, long time. The industry in general needs more loud n' proud esports players like him.

OP
OP
Rocha

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
there should be a little thing at the bottom of the post, next to the repot button.
Should be in the bottom left corner of each post, next to the report button. If you're on mobile and don't see it, trying rotating your phone to landscape.
I think you as OP can add threadmarks by selecting the option under the post you want to threadmark:

threadr6kpr.jpg
Thx y'all, for some reason the Trademark option wasn't appearing for me on mobile.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Oh hey since there's a lot of ppl here just find out about nonbinary identities, along with some who are nb or questioning themselves, a good time to plug our Non-binary Community Thread!
Bookmarked this thread. Thanks for sharing. This thread taught me I probably really don't understand non-binary, gender, and how it exactly works and feel stupid because of it since I respect people not identfying with binary genders. Maybe because I'm a person who feels really comfortable as a gay man and the gender I'm assigned as birth.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Oh hey since there's a lot of ppl here just find out about nonbinary identities, along with some who are nb or questioning themselves, a good time to plug our Non-binary Community Thread!

Thank you for this, had no idea it existed! I'm away at the moment, so won't be very active here for the time being, but I'll definitely check it out when I get back home :)

EDIT Oh hey, post # 777 :D

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Yaaasss Sonic Fox <3
I use he/him and they/them too, the idea of "won't people just use he/him if given the choice" is a legitimate one that I've thought about a bunch. There's a part of me that wonders if I should just ask for they/them and then expect that some people just won't, to balance things out?

Anyway. If you wanna do Sonic Fox and other NB peeps with multiple pronouns a solid, they'll probably appreciate you using their rarer pronouns, probably they/them but some use others, just because not many other people will. Imo anyway. If people give you an option, consider it! Don't just go for the default.

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Drive-By in a Sensitive Thread; Prior Ban for Similar Behavior
How does this count as gaming news?

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
You're a non-binary man in that you are a man that also presents as a woman. You're comfortable with both forms of expression.
As a non-binary guy myself, I'd say this isn't really what being a non-binary man means. I mean, it can be for sure, but it's definitely not always a "man that also presents as a woman." More commonly, I think, it's usually someone who isn't 100% male but feels closer to the male side of gender rather than being right in the middle as both/neither male and/nor female. That's basically me, and you could call me a demiboy I guess too, but for me being a non-binary guy has absolutely nothing to do with presenting feminine or feeling like a woman in any way at all, but instead more that I don't feel like a 100% binary man, yet still feel closer to the male side of gender rather than being right in the middle or something else entirely.

Anyway, I don't really follow SonicFox 'cause they don't play anything I care about (and even if they did I don't care much for competitive gaming anyway, lol), but they seem like a genuinely cool person and, as a fellow gay non-binary furry myself, it's great to see them come out as non-binary like this! I still haven't really came out about being non-binary to many people yet myself, but this is inspiring!

EDIT: Just saw the follow up tweets and damn, SonicFox pretty much describes exactly how I feel too, lol. Same with sexuality. I still use "gay" for convenience and because the word has seemingly evolved to become somewhat of an umbrella term similar to "queer" in recent years, but I feel like something like polysexual may be a more fitting and inclusive description of my sexuality.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Sonic Fox seems like a really great genuine person. I wish they were my friend. :D

Oct 25, 2017
They want to be called they as it's a genderless pronoun. They don't identify with either gender.

It can take some getting used to if you're unfamiliar with non binary people, generally they isn't used as a singular in English so it can feel clunky and people can forget, but it's extremely rude, to say the least, to continue to refer to them as he on purpose.

I do not believe that is what is going on here... I think SonicFox is saying he's ok with either which is what prompted my question. As others have pointed out:

Correct. They, at this time, are good with either

I myself am good with any pronoun at the time being, or I am at least indifferent to how I'm referred, as long I'm not percieved as "just" a man :D

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can see one member has already been banned for their ignorance when it comes to using "they" in the singular. Hopefully they chill out and learn a few things about the English language before returning. I'd hate for them to remain so misinformed.

Oct 26, 2017
As a non-binary guy myself, I'd say this isn't really what being a non-binary man means. I mean, it can be for sure, but it's definitely not always a "man that also presents as a woman." More commonly, I think, it's usually someone who isn't 100% male but feels closer to the male side of gender rather than being right in the middle as both/neither male and/nor female. That's basically me, and you could call me a demiboy I guess too, but for me being a non-binary guy has absolutely nothing to do with presenting feminine or feeling like a woman in any way at all, but instead more that I don't feel like a 100% binary man, yet still feel closer to the male side of gender rather than being right in the middle or something else entirely.

Anyway, I don't really follow SonicFox 'cause they don't play anything I care about (and even if they did I don't care much for competitive gaming anyway, lol), but they seem like a genuinely cool person and, as a fellow gay non-binary furry myself, it's great to see them come out as non-binary like this! I still haven't really came out about being non-binary to many people yet myself, but this is inspiring!

EDIT: Just saw the follow up tweets and damn, SonicFox pretty much describes exactly how I feel too, lol. Same with sexuality. I still use "gay" for convenience and because the word has seemingly evolved to become somewhat of an umbrella term similar to "queer" in recent years, but I feel like something like polysexual may be a more fitting and inclusive description of my sexuality.

Great post. I'm in your situation as well and should have elaborated as I did in another post that it is a case by case basis and not a one size fits all.

For me , in a true general sense, using non binary means two things really: firstly , that I do not conform to the social constructs which have been put in front of me since day one . Secondly, I also do not strictly identify with the gender typically expected of someone born with my sex (male) and that's what I should clarify.

People conflate the topic of non binary with sexuality when they shouldn't and I think it's great we can step up and discuss this to help others understand

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I don't know what a cinnamon roll of a person is, but the thought of it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
And yay, good for Sonic Fox! Such an action must feel so empowering and positive!

It's Tumblr slang! I'm always surprised at the number of people on ERA who don't know about it, but it came from this Onion article:

Which then was turned into a meme as a term of endearment to talk about whoever would be too pure and too good for this world:

themoreyouknow.gif

Last edited:

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Fox knows how to get me right in my feels. Sheesh. *tears up*

I'm so happy they are figuring out this thing called life, and a lot sooner than I did.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a common mistake people make when writing and/or speaking.

Every writing style guide I've read prohibits this use of "they" as incorrect.
Then you haven't read the style guides enough.

Associated Press has had allowance for singular "they" for a couple years. We use Boston University style guide and they have it too for sure.

Tons of guides have it so you're being obtuse and ignorant.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
can I also just say: I understand these posts aren't meant to be in bad faith but it's really not a great way to respond to something like this by emphasizing how much you don't get it, saying i don't understand this, this is confusing for me but I support them I guess, etc.

just adds this stigma where we feel like we're kind of weird and being judged as confusing or strange even when people say they accept us

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
This is not grammatically correct when referring to an individual though.

I have no problem not referring to somone as "he/she" or "him/her." But "they" implies plural.

See the following:

You wouldn't say, for example "The object belongs to them." when referring to a non-binary individual. The English language requires the word "him," "her," or "it" for an individual.
Sonicfox did say "him/they" so you can (probably) still say him if it's that big of a deal to you. But you're gonna be completely wrong in other situations.

Idk why it hurts some ppl to just call someone what they ask to be called

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
so what i'm getting is that he identifies neither woman or man, and he likes to be referred as multiple identities?
Or am I wrong?

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018

Thanks for this explanation. Kinda crazy I just heard of this concept from reading this thread because it honestly fits me fairly perfectly. Wild stuff. And good for SonicFox too.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Being nonbinary myself, it takes a lot of bravery to come out. I'm really happy that SonicFox was able to make the decision! Good for them!