• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Not calling you guys out at all, I'm genuinely asking: is it appropriate to call someone who identifies as non-binary things like "dude," or "guy"? If not, what is an acceptable replacement word for these kinds of signs of comradery?

Suppose it depends on the person and what they are comfortable with I guess. I'm forever learning though so someone can correct me.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i relate a lot to this. it's tough for a lot of people who have identified as gay men for years realizing their gender identity is more complex. definitely makes life a bit harder with some cis gays we know

I've been experiencing this for a while too and don't know how to deal with it tbh :(

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing this. Really cleares a lot of questions I had.

Always felt really positive about gender fluidity and such, but didn't really understand it even though I respect the feelings peaople had and how they felt about their own gender if that makes sense. Like, referring to people as they/them feels strange to me, probably because I understand too little about it.

Oh, without a doubt this requires some adjustment. As I understood it, they were a gay furry - but now they've come out as non-binary, it's presumably inappropriate to call them gay any more and would be more polite to simply say "SonicFox is a non-binary furry that's attracted to men".

For me it's just amusing that as teenagers and young adults we rebelled against labels but, today, it seems there are as many labels as there are people. Can't really argue against something that makes people more comfortable, though, can you?

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. An editor would strike these all as incorrect. Of course, colloquial speech is different.
No editor would strike these as incorrect.
Because what if I'm trying to help a non-binary individual assert rights? I'd need to know how to refer to the individual correctly in a legal document. This stuff matters for professionals.
You would refer to the individual by their name.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Good for SonicFox, very happy for them :)

But this thread though lol
tumblr_mqf1dogbdz1rzdcxjqn.gif

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AP style guide says it's fine so let's drop it. I accept it. Not trying to make anything out of it. Just wanted to know how to correctly write a sentence about a non-binary individual in a professional manner.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. An editor would strike these all as incorrect. Of course, colloquial speech is different.
No, you're just fucking wrong and at this point you're bordering on transphobia with how insistent you're being that people's pronouns shouldn't be respected. Here's the AP stylebook, the industry standard for US journalism, explaining why the singular they is acceptable. So yeah every editor absolutely would not

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Stanning forever

No. For real. Writing professionals and editors don't use "they" this way as far as I'm aware.

In every day speech this is fine. Who cares? But in professional writing it is considered incorrect as far as I know.
Considering the DoJ managed to write an entire 110 page brief on Amiee Stephen's supreme court case, without gendering her, correctly or incorrectly, this argument holds no water.

In extreme cases, you can always put "The individual, *Name*". So stop, singular neutral pronouns are completely acceptable and your take reeks of bad faith.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, without a doubt this requires some adjustment. As I understood it, they were a gay furry - but now they've come out as non-binary, it's presumably inappropriate to call them gay any more and would be more polite to simply say "SonicFox is a non-binary furry that's attracted to men".
not necessarily. plenty of nb people identify as gay or queer and some choose not to

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I had to google what non-binary was, and at that moment I felt older than I have ever felt :(

good for Fox tho, dude is awesome.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, I'm confused at the man part? I thought non-binary meant that the man/woman binary was being rejected?

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Next Will he change gender every month
Even though I'm kind of uneducated on the subject, at least I try to learn and educate myself and try to understand how gender works and the different labels associated with it. This is peoples feelings and the way they percieve themselves and want be percieived in life by other people. It's no laughing matter. Jezus.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't "non binary man" a contradiction? Man implies binary, right?

I'm honestly just out of the loop and asking, I don't have any issue with this or with sonic fox.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stanning forever

Considering the DoJ managed to write an entire 110 page brief on Amiee Stephen's supreme court case, without gendering her, correctly or incorrectly, this argument holds no water.

In extreme cases, you can always put "The individual, *Name*". So stop, singular neutral pronouns are completely acceptable and your take reeks of bad faith.
Alright. Asking the question and accepting a sourced answer = bad faith. Sure buddy.

OP
OP
Rocha

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
Damn, when i created this thread i wasn't expecting some of this posts :-(

Note: can someone explain to me how to trademark a post? I want to trademark the video explaining the concept of Non-binary so people can at least educate themselves.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is not grammatically correct when referring to an individual though.

I have no problem not referring to somone as "he/she" or "him/her." But "they" implies plural.

See the following:

You wouldn't say, for example "The object belongs to them." when referring to a non-binary individual. The English language requires the word "him," "her," or "it" for an individual.
language evolved you troglodyte

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Isn't "non binary man" a contradiction? Man implies binary, right?

I'm honestly just out of the loop and asking, I don't have any issue with this or with sonic fox.

I'm guessing it implies he is genetically male but identifies as neither male or female.

But yeah I don't get why that part is relevant.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Note: can someone explain to me how to trademark a post? I want to trademark the video explaining the concept of Non-binary so people can at least educated themselves.
there should be a little thing at the bottom of the post, next to the repot button.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017

Note: can someone explain to me how to threadmark a post? I want to trademark the video explaining the concept of Non-binary so people can at least educated themselves.
Should be in the bottom left corner of each post, next to the report button. If you're on mobile and don't see it, trying rotating your phone to landscape.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Note: can someone explain to me how to trademark a post? I want to trademark the video explaining the concept of Non-binary so people can at least educate themselves.
I think you as OP can add threadmarks by selecting the option under the post you want to threadmark:

threadr6kpr.jpg

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Does this mean I have to refer to sonicfox as he or they? Anyways, good that he/they feels comfortable sharing this in the community.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Honest question: if you really are going to ask people to identify you as "he" or "they", how many people are really going to go for "they"?

Or is what SonicFox saying they want to go from being called "he" --> "they"
They want to be called they as it's a genderless pronoun. They don't identify with either gender.

It can take some getting used to if you're unfamiliar with non binary people, generally they isn't used as a singular in English so it can feel clunky and people can forget, but it's extremely rude, to say the least, to continue to refer to them as he on purpose.