• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trying to find out how Sonic Colors Ultimate will perform on a ps5. Anyone?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oof…IGN review says no way to choose between original and remixed music. You get remixed for some stages and usually final stages have original.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Switch downgrades are the reason why I purchase third party games on PS4/PS5. Why pay the extra Nintendo tax for an inferior version of the game?

Why buy inferior console versions when you can play it on PC with mods, 8K and so on?

It gets silly when people forget that Switch is a PS3 in a handheld. There are always compromises to everything

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Hopefully the new 3D Sonic Game is able to match this level of quality at least. 77 Metascore being a high bar to clear is real 😬

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's situational depending on the game but I've noticed that a PS4/Xbox One version of a game often gets cheaper quicker than the Switch version of the same game.

And a switch version will probably get cheaper quicker than a ps5 version, that's how demand curves and times relative to the consoles respective launches tend to work

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Why buy inferior console versions when you can play it on PC with mods, 8K and so on?

It gets silly when people forget that Switch is a PS3 in a handheld. There are always compromises to everything

I understand the handheld component but it feels pretty pointless if you're a Switch owner who primarily plays docked. The PC argument you made is valid though

And a switch version will probably get cheaper quicker than a ps5 version, that's how demand curves and times relative to the consoles respective launches tend to work

Yeah, but the Switch is a much more recent console compared to the PS4/Xbox One but it outputs inferior quality games because of the weaker hardware compared to its competitors.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so the Switch version is running worse than the original Wii version?
What on earth?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Oof…IGN review says no way to choose between original and remixed music. You get remixed for some stages and usually final stages have original.

How do you fuck up something as simple as music option? I'm still buying this, but a lot of decisions have me raising my eyebrow at this port.

Oct 26, 2017
For this case, I'll take 60 FPS over portable play. It's been a while since I've played the game so I'm crossing my fingers it holds up well. I don't expect to like it as much as Sonic Generations or especially Sonic Mania but I hope I still have a good time. But, with my backlog, I might as well hold off till later

I understand the handheld component but it feels pretty pointless if you're a Switch owner who primarily plays docked. The PC argument you made is valid though

Yeah, but the Switch is a much more recent console compared to the PS4/Xbox One but it outputs inferior quality games because of the weaker hardware compared to its competitors.
...it's a handheld. It'd have been impossible for it to match home consoles, even if said home consoles are older, just like it's impossible for consoles to match PCs, at least long term. If handhelds don't do much for you, I don't know what to tell you

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
...it's a handheld. It'd have been impossible for it to match home consoles, even if said home consoles are older, just like it's impossible for consoles to match PCs, at least long term. If handhelds don't do much for you, I don't know what to tell you

Technically, it's a hybrid system. Besides, I own a Nintendo Switch Lite because of the consoles handheld component but I just feel that the Switch is not the best home console for third party games for a bunch of reasons.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, it's was a stupid decision. No reason they couldn't give the version of the game titled "Ultimate" some options for players!
Yeah. i just watched the IGN review where they compared Planet Wisp. The remixed track just sucks all the atmosphere out of the beginning of the stage. If anything the remixed tracks should have been for the final three stages.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I feel like folks are being pretty hyperbolic about the remixes and I think they fit in just fine BUT they really should've just had the option to use the original soundtrack considering all the tracks are used in the game anyway

Playing it on Series X right now and it's fine. Very much what I expected, I guess. The Jade Ghost wisp is actually pretty fun to play around with and fits the game just fine since it's largely about exploring the stages.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I feel like folks are being pretty hyperbolic about the remixes and I think they fit in just fine BUT they really should've just had the option to use the original soundtrack considering all the tracks are used in the game anyway

Playing it on Series X right now and it's fine. Very much what I expected, I guess. The Jade Ghost wisp is actually pretty fun to play around with and fits the game just fine since it's largely about exploring the stages.
A bunch of them are nice, but the planet wisp one misses the point of the song for sure

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
A bunch of them are nice, but the planet wisp one misses the point of the song for sure
i... actually really like it?

i guess i'd agree that it's not the best fit for act 1, but people are definitely forgetting that you lose the greenery in the zone in about 10 seconds and it immediately becomes dystopia factory zone

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i guess i'd agree that it's not the best fit for act 1, but people are definitely forgetting that you lose the greenery in the zone in about 10 seconds and it immediately becomes dystopia factory zone

Nah, I didn't forget because that's what made the original so good imo. Act 1's music only starts kicking into full gear around the time Sonic first breaks into the construction site. It's not perfect, but it's one of those moments where the visual design and sound design synced up pretty well, and that's why I think it became such an iconic level opener for the series.

The new remix just doesn't get it, and it's a shame because the original song is still in the game in a different act.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Nah, I didn't forget because that's what made the original so good imo. Act 1's music only starts kicking into full gear around the time Sonic first breaks into the construction site. It's not perfect, but it's one of those moments where the visual design and sound design synced up pretty well, and that's why I think it became such an iconic level opener for the series.

The new remix just doesn't get it, and it's a shame because the original song is still in the game in a different act.
and i get that, which is why i both agree the new remix is a bad fit for the first act and it's stupid that there's no option to just toggle the old tracks since they're right there

but i feel like writing off the whole game for those ten seconds is kind of hyperbolic, people should be writing off the game for things like the new awful fullscreen blur effect and the ear quaking sound effect for perfect homing attacks, or the weird quirks like when i turned it on today my cosmetics coin counter was completely maxxed out

it's passable as a remaster of sonic colors but it sure does have some weird caveats that are much worse that i feel like people are overlooking just because of a very small section

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think the Planet Wisp isn't necessarily bad but it definitely loses the impact going through the stage for the first time with the pianos starting. The original track is still in but they should have swapped the original from Act 4 in Act 1 with the remix going in there.