• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This also was a Wii Game.

wccftech.com

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition Runs At 504-720p Resolution In Docked Mode; Performance Is Stable

According to the game's leaked config files, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition runs at maximum 720p in docked mode, 540p in handheld

Like I said, it's the Switch, so expectations down to the ground.
You're comparing a remake of an open world game with visuals designed to push fidelity, to one of the slower, already well-performing Sonic games on the Wii which, on top of having somewhat negligible visual changes, looks even worse in some regards as far as assets are concerned.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Between Sonic Forces, Team Sonic Racing and now this

it seems Sega has a problem with 60fps for Switch in general

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't really see why it matters. I'd rather have the portability and ease of use of the Switch over the frame rate

Nov 1, 2017
I sincerely doubt this game's audience gives a shit about performance. Switch version will sell the best regardless of how crap a game runs.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lol why are people in here acting as if the Switch doesn't run Wii U game ports at 60fps, let alone Wii games. This isn't a reason to Pro beg.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Between Sonic Forces, Team Sonic Racing and now this

it seems Sega has a problem with 60fps for Switch in general
Those 1st 2 were made for the Switch(ported down) while this one wasn't which makes it more random. I could understand Sonic Forces, though I wish Team Sonic Racing was 60fps but I understand why they went with 30fps. Something must be going on at Sega still.

Lol why are people in here acting as if the Switch doesn't run Wii U game ports at 60fps, let alone Wii games. This isn't a reason to Pro beg.
Yeah, many Wii U ports to Switch by Nintendo are 60fps as well so we can't ignore those, heck even at 1080p.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Maybe in another few console generations Sega will be able to do it. Oh well, who needs a good framerate in extremely fast paced action games anyway?
Errrr... I mean, as long as it's locked and stable, I don't think there's such thing as "good" or "bad" fps. Just some more desirable than others, like 60 over 30.
That being said, I could never get into Sonic games because I feel like I have no control over what I'm doing, given how fast and erratic everything looks...

Oct 25, 2017
The Godot part is still speculation FWIW, but if it was indeed the case, the bigger problem wouldn't have been the lack of documentation, it would've been that there's no Switch version of the engine in the open source repository. Either they ported it themselves or licensed somebody else's port (LinkedIn profile suggests it's the former).
for what it's worth, there will never be console API code in public repos, that's all NDA'd.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the Sonic games for this to happen to, I'm glad it was Colors.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
It's always such a bummer to see third-party games not go out of their way to hit 60 fps on Switch. Maybe it'll at least be a stable 30? Do games ever target weird numbers like 40 fps? I have the luxury of getting this on PS4, but I would definitely prefer Switch if the performance was equal.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
And here I am putting all this work and attention into making sure our games run at 60, and yet someone in the chain of this remaster decided to throw a 12 year old Wii game at the Switch and say 30FPS is good enough.

Why does this annoy me so much?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
And here I am putting all this work and attention into making sure our games run at 60, these devs just throw a 12 year old Wii game at the switch and say 30FPS is good enough.

Why does this annoy me so much?
this is a really shitty post, friend — we don't know the first thing about what sort of technical challenges they had or the budget/time they were provided.

puffing yourself up while putting down other devs in a public forum where tablescraps are used endlessly to fuel the derision of people who don't know the first thing about game development is clown shit.

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
this is a really shitty post, friend — we don't know the first thing about what sort of technical challenges they had or the budget/time they were provided.

puffing yourself up while shitting on other devs in a public forum where tablescraps are used endlessly to fuel the derision of people who don't know the first thing about game development is clown shit.
I was not implying any lack of effort or fault on the developers specifically, however you can direct development in the wrong direction. In this situation, I suspect the production went towards visual fidelity first, thus putting the game in a situation where it couldn't be scaled back or optimised properly for the Switch hardware. Where as the games direction should of focused on performance first for the platform, then looking into scaling the graphics. This is after all a remaster of an old game, it's sensible to start with getting what you have to work first.

Edit: Ah, and I've noticed that I said devs in the initial post when I shouldn't have, that was indeed rash of me and I should have double checked my post first.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
30fps for a remaster that looks worse and I oop

I'm sure it technically looks better but some decisions just don't go over well with me. Ps4 it is ig

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Can't they just leave everything the same except the resolution and framerate, i.e. just improve the framerate and resolution?

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Remember being surprised Spiritfarer ran so poorly on Switch as well, but maybe these are more demanding games than I realize.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
the original was 30fps as well, getting 60 in the remaster would be a nice bonus but not a deal breaker.

Edit: but if the video is saying its 60 then lying is not acceptable