• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Hard disagree. OG Knuckles is a genuinely cool design. Buff Knuckles is a bad look.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Completely agree. The designs (as well as the characterizations / tone) are definitely a change from the norm, but I thought it was a welcome one. I didn't watch a ton of the show but from what I saw the characters were more likable than they had been in ages.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Some are good. Sonic should ditch the scarf and bandages. Boy proportions still seem a little off but they aren't unbearable. Knuckles looks straight up awful.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
We've had this thread before so I'll just repost what I said last time.

No it didn't improve them and let's analyze why:

Sonic: The best way to describe this redesign is "cluttered". The messy extra tufts of spikes in his "hair" ruin his iconic three-spike profile, the sports tape on his shoes looks comically excessive and is overkill compared to the simple white stripe that worked fine before, and the brown scarf dulls up his otherwise striking blue and red color scheme. Lastly, having blue arms is not necessarily a bad change... but it's not a good one either.

Tails: Tails has changed the least, but I still hate this redesign as it only further pigeonholes Tails into the boring "tech guy" archetype that has slowly begun to dominate his character ever since Unleashed. There is no reason he needs goggles and a toolbelt on him all the time. Just let him be a cute little fox.

Knuckles: Like Tails, this exaggerates one characteristic of Knuckles (his strength) to make it his only trait. It also fails on a fundamental level by putting his spiky knuckles - you know, that thing that he's named after - on the back of his hands, making them completely worthless for digging or fighting.

Amy: This is probably the only one that isn't a straight downgrade, but like Sonic it unnecessarily clutters up a fairly simple design.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
I do kinda like Riders' stylised take on the characters.
sonic-riders-wallpaper-preview.jpg
Jesus, those non-core character designs are atrocious.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I really do hope we see a return to the Sonic Boom universe, despite the games being failures, the show was a commercial success.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
The buffness of Knuckles is sort of the only change I can get behind? The additions of scarfs, goggles and bandages feel like such 'boring' additions however.

IMO the characters never looked better than
yxdl8R4.png

(Unfortunately no Amy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
I'd love to see a side scroller with this art style. Show Tyson Hesse some love and let em do it!

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The only designs that worked were tails and shadow. And the reason those work is that they are so similar to the orginals. Eggman also works but he's the only character design departure that does really.

The best interpretation of modern sonic design wise for me. Is the Ukewa art , and the sonic battle and Sonic riders stuff personally. Mania is cute but doesn't do anything for me.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This design is way too 2000s. Good design is ageless.
This isn't true at all.

Both statements are untrue. The design would work now , and worrying about something's age in that way is sort of irrelevant especially now how we sell recycled media. Along with their being plenty of things that work because it is of its time.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I've been bottling this up for forever, but I finally must say the truth: Boom's rendition of Sonic's cast adds a ton of personality to the characters and marks an improvement on all fronts. This is leaving aside your feelings for the shoddy-ass games - the character designs just are better.

2d8402552acc441eb269b8d289e3a739.jpg

Sonic looks better with blue arms and lankier features, Tails is a mechanic at heart, something his new design emphasizes well, and Amy's new outfit is a great modern update to her old, worn-out clothes. Knuckles in particular gains tons of of personality with the change to his body structure, and it looks great to boot. Even the ladies would agree:

I think it's a bummer these design are unlikely to make a comeback, because they're really damn good.
I'll concede on the bandages though, it's hard to see a point in those.

Man, I could not possibly disagree more. Other than Knuckles, these are basically just the standard 3D Sonic character designs but with added accessories. With Tails, it's cute. With Sonic, it's pointless. And Knuckles is just... awful.

And I guess the truth of the matter is that Sonic character designs have never been better than the classic versions.

CelJaded-Sonic-Mania-Plus-Artwork-Banner.jpg

f988d2bf2aec98e5cab2d247dc6cea11.jpg

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true at all.

Both statements are untrue. The design would work now , and worrying about something's age in that way is sort of irrelevant especially now how we sell recycled media. Along with their being plenty of things that work because it is of its time.

She would stick out like a sore thumb between the rest of the cast, it's just aged and its design isn't great.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
I was felt lukewarm in response to the character designs of sonic boom. They did a fair job of making a unique rendition of each character but it never 'wow'-ed me. The real star of thee show was the spot on writing and voice acting. Some of the jokes and quips they made just had me in stitches. It's really a shame that the cartoon was connected to that terrible video game of the same name.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
The buffness of Knuckles is sort of the only change I can get behind? The additions of scarfs, goggles and bandages feel like such 'boring' additions however.

IMO the characters never looked better than
yxdl8R4.png

(Unfortunately no Amy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Yeah, these are simple and stand out against each other because of that. The Boom designs in OP have too many extra pointless little flourishes and frankly look awkward in practice compared to the render.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Would probably agree tbh. Sonic Boom cartoon is the best rendition of the characters too. Legitimately enjoy watching it with the kids, it's good fun.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Give Knuckles his hat back, give Tails his googles everything else doesn't matter.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
671208248489c7281773b04713dfe0ab.png

Unleashed Sonic is still the best design, imo. Perfection, in my eyes. The Boom designs were fine for their respective universe, but I couldn't see them translating well outside of it. The show, especially season 2 with that meta as hell writing, was incredible, though.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about these designs. Just keep Sticks around. She's fun.