• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Looks gorgeous if you watch it on a nice 4K TV. YouTube doesn't do that great of a job downscaling from 8K to 1080p so I recommend you use the max resolution your internet/device can handle for the best quality.

Bonus Shadow:

E5ybiADWQAEjRlL

E5ybiACWQAMofVH

E5ybiACWUAUFOc_

Last edited:

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it, it's kinda odd that the opening scene of Sonic Adventure is basically a huge spoiler for the finale.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
if we could ever get to the point where a Sonic The Hedgehog Movie trailer could just be a recreation of that sonic adventure opening cinematic I'd FREAK OUT.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Seeing all of the individual people at the start so clearly is a trip for me. I recognized some animation cycles reused from NiGHTS into Dreams CG!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. The massive aliasing on the opening pan made me think this would suck, but after that this shit looks great.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This series would be 1000 times better if it were tongue-in-cheek.

I'm mixed. I think the adventure games have just the right amount of camp that's played straight.

The president having pictures of sonic and shadow on his desk is peak personally, and it's played completely straight.

Games like shadow and 06 do take it too far tho

Edit: I take back what I said. Watching that shadow opening for the first time in a decade, it's amazing and hysterical, and I love it.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought gameplay graphics would be better than that sonic adventure opening movie

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny to think that Shadow is when CG in Sonic games got stupidly good

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
This is only somewhat on topic, but why does SA1's opening intro/pre-final boss cutscene look better to me than any other pre-rendered scene in the Adventure games?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I've always admired the absolute right turn into classic rock in this intro.

I also love that games have surpassed this visually now. So wild given the in game visuals of SA were absolutely unquestionably the most advanced thing I'd ever seen at the time.

Thanks for sharing OP

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I remember some people at the time swearing that this trailer was realtime and a demonstration of what the Dreamcast could actually do. Fucking rofl with the raytraced reflections and all.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looked like that on my mind in my early teen years.

Every CG trailer should be upscaled like this. So nice.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
As fucking hilarious as the Shadow opening is, that CG isn't anywhere near as bad to look at as I thought it'd be.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sure the 8K upscale aspect is beautiful but can we stop with this interpolation nonsense? This is what, the third time this week? Why upscale and remaster this stuff if you're just going to screw up the motion?*

*Feel free to correct me if the opening was originally 60fps, but I am not under the impression that it was.

(And feel free to report me for threadwhining, but I'm more complaining about the way we go about preserving and restoring this stuff, as has been evident in multiple threads these last few weeks. Interpolation sucks.)

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This series would be 1000 times better if it were tongue-in-cheek.
It's been tongue-in-cheek since Colors, and while it was kind of cute and refreshing at first, it's honestly gotten stale, exhausting and just plain pathetic with all the wink & nod inside humor and self-deprecation Sonic media does now to be accepted by a bunch of bitter, jaded fucks who won't accept any Sonic game or cartoon made after 1995.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately can't believe I exist in the dimension where it was approved for Shadow to appear to have beaten up or killed Sonic the Hedgehog and standing over him with a fucking pistol.

Mercy me.

SA 1 intro is still GOATed

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Both look great. Especially the Shadow one — the game is ridiculous, but there were quite a few model and CG improvements they made for it after Heroes.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I kinda wanna live in the universe where Shadow is unambiguously a GOAT game. But still has that exact opening. That opening is amazing.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You're all finally understanding my greatness! I'll never let go of my cocking SMG.

(I've never played Shadow the Hedgehog)