• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Great game, super nostalgic for me. Got me into Sonic. The second half gets pretty cheap, though.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I found this out by accident and it turned out to be my favorite way to play the game.

My brother always tried to get him the Chaos Emeralds since he wasn't good at the special stages, one time I refused to do so. He sat behind me waiting for me to get all 7 of them. As soon as I got all of them and transformed into Super Sonic. He decided to reset my Sega Genesis at the time. I was upset thinking that I had to start over, but little I know that you would get to restart the game with ALL 7 Chaos Emeralds, so you could transform into Super Sonic right away when you got 50 rings.

Since that day, I always restarted the game after getting the 7 chaos emeralds.

Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K and Sonic Mania are fantastic

Woylie

May 9, 2018
As much as I think Chemical Plant Zone is one of the most iconic levels in the franchise (which I don't think is really controversial, it's probably the third after Green Hill and the Sonic Adventure Orca chase), it is kind of a momentum-killer. I've had a lot of casual re-playthroughs of this game just stop cold because the layout for Chemical Plant's water stuff is confusing and frustrating, with lots of waiting for gizmos to move, hazards that stop you in your tracks, and pits that send you backwards in the level if you miss a finicky jump.

Sonic 2's still probably the peak of the Genesis games for me, but Chemical Plant Zone is an early hurdle.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sonic 2 was my first console game. I used to play on the Amiga before that.
It also started my obsession with cut content in games, when I accidentally stumbled on Hidden Palace Zone while messing with an Action Replay. That zone, and its music, are still special to me.

It does fall apart towards the end though. As a kid I was apparently fine playing it through over and over, no matter the level, but now I just wanna turn it off when I reach Sky Chase Zone. Nothing after this point is any fun (though Wing Fortress has some cool stuff here and there).
Speaking of Wing Fortress, it's like a Dimps Sonic level, bottomless pits everywhere. I guess that was their favourite.

I will forever groan about the perfect version of the game being stuck on mobile devices.
It's even worse now.
The original Taxman version is now the legacy version and no longer updated or supported. The current release is riddled with ads.

Sad times.

Oct 29, 2017
It's arguably the weakest of the original trilogy. It's just SO uneven; it smacks of a rushed development schedule (which is exactly what happened. Really, the amount of stuff that they crammed in and only got working in the final week of development is astounding! THIS game was the original Crunch Development model!)

While it does have some amazing highs (Like Chemical Plant Zone), it also has some real lows... like Wing Fortress Zone. It's the perennial example of a mixed bag; and you can feel that its development team was one of two halves (which it literally was; it was half US, half Japan and it really shows!)

The game really runs out of steam towards the end in particular. It stacks its best ideas in the first half and becomes a bit of a drag towards the end. While its highs are way better than Sonic 1? It's just too inconsistent to be a better game overall.

Sonic 2 overall is actually pretty sloppily made; owing to a ridiculously ambitious development schedule and a big culture clash within its development team at STI. It's tale of development is one of the most fascinating in all of the 16-bit era! And its absolutely evident within the game itself.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
You noticed how Sonic 1 starts in the morning/early day (Green Hill), goes to midday (Marble), evening (Spring Yard), what I assume would be late evening (Labyrinth), night (Star Light) and ends at dawn (Scrap Brain/Final Zone)?
Not only that, it goes from nature (Green Hill), to a cave (Labyrinth, supposed 2nd zone until it was pulled late dev), old man-made civilization (Marble), current man made city outskirts (Spring Yard), inside the city (Star Light), man-made worst environment treat (Scrap Brain, a polluting factory). It just makes so much sense.

In a similar vein, Chemical Plant Zone was originally due to come between Oil Ocean and Metropolis for a similar style of progression, which also explains the sudden difficulty spike from the first zone.

Oct 28, 2017
Here's my Sonic hot take.

The Chaos Emeralds are the worst thing about the Sonic series, and having to collect them for a true ending makes me not want to play through them.

Which is why Sonic 2 is easily the most fun Sonic to play for me. Yes, they are there, and yes, they affect the ending, but the ending is far better if you don't get them. The special stages aren't fun in any of the classic Sonics, 2 included, but I can just happily ignore them, because in the no Emerald ending, Tails gets to save his buddy and be a hero by intercepting Sonic before he falls to Earth, while in the "good" ending, Sonic just pulls Super Sonic mode out of his ass and just flies next to Tails, while assumedly laughing and giving him the middle finger.
Nah. The only non all emeralds ending in the series that's better than the all emeralds ending is the non emeralds ending in a Knuckles & Knuckles playthrough of Mania.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Chemical Plant Zone would probably be my favourite zone in the entire series. The music and platforming is perfect for me.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
FwsK8yt.jpg

Sonic 2 is with me at all times in super widescreen format on my phone. Never leave home without it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I found this out by accident and it turned out to be my favorite way to play the game.

My brother always tried to get him the Chaos Emeralds since he wasn't good at the special stages, one time I refused to do so. He sat behind me waiting for me to get all 7 of them. As soon as I got all of them and transformed into Super Sonic. He decided to reset my Sega Genesis at the time. I was upset thinking that I had to start over, but little I know that you would get to restart the game with ALL 7 Chaos Emeralds, so you could transform into Super Sonic right away when you got 50 rings.

Since that day, I always restarted the game after getting the 7 chaos emeralds.

Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K and Sonic Mania are fantastic
I never knew this! That sounds like a damn fun time, I will have to give it a shot sometime soon.

I find the special stages in Sonic 2 kind of a pain to get through sometimes, but the fact you can get them so constantly makes them easy enough to repeat either way. I love how it is technically possible to get all of the emeralds before the end of Emerald Hill Zone act 2 as well. That's a fun challenge just trying to properly plan that!