• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Any song were you prefer the Radio edit more than the real thing?

I got 2 examples one is a like Forget you by celo green is much better than Fuck you . the song just flows better with the extra syllable of forget. Plus I think forgetting someone who slighted you is a more healthy and positive reaction..

Second is Move B*** by ludacris The sound effects are great and add great flavor to the song much more than songs that just mute bad words for the radio edit

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
The stutters in Battleflag are more interesting than the few "motherfuckin"s that they replaced.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In Da Club by 50 cent. Listened to Get Rich or Die Tryin' awhile ago and didn't expect that f-bomb in there. Honestly it's a pretty good edit, I didn't realize how much was different.

Let's Get It Started by the Black Eyed Peas is way better than Let's Get Retarded (ugh).

Was gonna edit my post to put this but you beat me to it, people always get their mind blown by this one.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Da Club by 50 cent. Listened to Get Rich or Die Tryin' awhile ago and didn't expect that f-bomb in there. Honestly it's a pretty good edit, I didn't realize how much was different.

Edit: Also when everyone finds out that song from the Black Eyed Peas is actually "Let's Get Retarded"
I actually knew it by the original version first

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ludacris and I think Missy Elliott have a pretty good history of really putting out some interesting radio edits of their songs, lot of good sound effects that almost have more oomph than the original words.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

The censored version of Brooklyn Zoo actually has better rhyme schemes ("you knew a whole fucking lot" vs "you knew a whole bloodclot lot") and replacing "nigga" with ODB just barking "NUH" hits harder to me

Oct 27, 2017
Mudvayne's Not Falling takes out some screaming bits from a bridge/breakdown which I tend to cringe at on the album version. It's actually such a great song lyrically and melodically and felt that segment took away from the song on the whole.

Video with edit:

youtu.be

Mudvayne - Not Falling (Official Video)

"Not Falling?" by MudvayneListen to Mudvayne: https://Mudvayne.lnk.to/listenYDSubscribe to the official Mudvayne YouTube channel: https://Mudvayne.lnk.to/sub...

Actually shit, I realize they always left the part I'd rather have out and took out the better screaming bits. I don't know it's been so long I forget my original feelings other than it being the first thing I think of with radio edits haha

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The Whisper Song by the Ying Yang Twins was better censored due to all of the wacky sound effects. The uncensored version is kinda boring honestly.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Get It Started by the Black Eyed Peas is way better than Let's Get Retarded (ugh).
Yeah, this.

But since that's already been mentioned, You're Beautiful by James Blunt has a random "fucking" in the uncensored version that completely ruins its tone. Radio edit switches it out with "flying," which doesn't make complete sense but helps.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2pac's I Ain't Mad Atcha. The clean and album versions have different 3rd verses IIRC and I prefer the clean version they used in the video.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018

Yup. I didn't even realize "Let's get it started" was the censored version until years later. Once I found out I was like wait.. why is "let's get retarded" even a thing? It's so crass and gross.

My inclusion would probably be Juvenile's "back that thang up" as opposed to "back that ass up". Maybe it's my young teen nostalgia goggles, but i just have more fond memories of going to teenage parties and stuff and having the censored version come on. I think it just sounds a little better too.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The radio version of Down with the Sickness doesn't have the "domestic abuse solo", so I guess that counts too.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Back That Thang Up

The radio version of Down with the Sickness doesn't have the "domestic abuse solo", so I guess that counts too.

oh yeah, i hate listening to the album version of that song because its just weird

i dislike Black Eyed Peas significantly and i never cared to understand why they originally wrote it as "retarded" -- but it was definitely a "wtf moment" when that was the real version of the song they played all of the time on the radio...

koolaroo

Dec 27, 2017
I don't know about better but Ben Folds pretty much entirely rewrote his song "rocking the suburbs" for the movie " over the hedge" always struck me as odd someone in production must have wanted to use the song but then had the artist entirely rewrite it?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Payphone by Maroon 5

Really fun song to sing along to in the car until you realize it's the uncensored version shit fuck shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Luda always had great sound effects for his censored stuff.

What comes to mind for me is Green Day's American Idiot. I just remember them using normal old-school bleeps which gave it an attitude I'd expect from a song like that.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say it's better but it's fun because of the style of the band and they are using "hum" - "woo" and stuff rather than biiip.

youtube.com

Da Da Da Da

Provided to YouTube by LOUD/ColumbiaDa Da Da Da · Tha Liks · Tha AlkaholiksX.O. Experience℗ 2001 Loud Records, LLCReleased on: 2001-05-25Associated Performe...

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Boom Boom Pow by black eyed peas I prefer without the "shit"s. The edited version used some clever editing with the vocals that I think add to the song

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I like the radio edit of Adam Sandler's "piece of shit car" that replaced all the swears with random car honks.

Also nearly died laughing at the sheer ridiculous was of a radio edit of ICP's "fuck the world" that replaced all the "fuck"a with "ufk."

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Our radio station keeps it and, yeah, it's something I prefer left out.

I remember seeing Trapt in concert (a long, LONG time ago) and was surprised to hear so much cursing in "Headstrong".

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sarah Mclachlan - Building a Mystery

The radio edit version is better than the non uncensored version. There was one fuck in there that wasn't necessary.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Yeah, this.

But since that's already been mentioned, You're Beautiful by James Blunt has a random "fucking" in the uncensored version that completely ruins its tone. Radio edit switches it out with "flying," which doesn't make complete sense but helps.
This was going to be my mention! It happens so suddenly and feels totally at odds with the rest of the song.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Honestly, edited versions of songs are better than unedited versions, especially when you have kids around.

Nov 2, 2017
If you've never heard the Much Music edit of Last Resort by Papa Roach, you're missing out in a masterpiece. I've wanted to find it online somewhere for years, but it might just be lost to the memories of people my age-ish in Canada who watched tons of Much Music in that era.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
If you've never heard the Much Music edit of Last Resort by Papa Roach, you're missing out in a masterpiece. I've wanted to find it online somewhere for years, but it might just be lost to the memories of people my age-ish in Canada who watched tons of Much Music in that era.
Weird!
I remember it being different and that being a whole thing... but I don't remember... how exactly it was different.

edit: Wikipedia says:
On the MuchMusic version - which utilizes the radio edit - the word "fuck" is completely removed with no replacement. On the MTV and Vevo version, the words "cut", "bleeding", "die", "life" (from the line "if I took my life tonight"), and "suicide" were also muted. After original airings of the video on television, some networks went so far as to additionally censor words such as "suffocation", and even the title of the song itself.
It had to have been more than just that, though. hmmm.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm not even sure which 90s Wu-Tang radio edit to post.

The way RZA edited over the cursing with Kung-Fu movie sound effects made all of those versions seem more hype.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait forget all the rest of this thread. There's a Fuck in Building a Mystery?!

genius.com

Sarah McLachlan – Building a Mystery

Building a Mystery is the lead single from Sarah McLachlan’s album Surfacing. According to Sarah at a live performance in 1997, the song is “basically about the fact that we all

There is one fuck in the song:

You're so beautiful
A beautiful fucked up man
You're setting up your
Razor wire shrine

Nov 2, 2017
Weird!
I remember it being different and that being a whole thing... but I don't remember... how exactly it was different.

edit: Wikipedia says:

It had to have been more than just that, though. hmmm.

I remember the song barely had lyrics. My friends and I in high school would make fun of it.

C....my life into pieces. This is my.............. Su...........No Br.......Don't give a ........ if I ...... my arm...............

Every single direct and allegorical reference to suicide was removed.

Oct 27, 2017
My inclusion would probably be Juvenile's "back that thang up" as opposed to "back that ass up". Maybe it's my young teen nostalgia goggles, but i just have more fond memories of going to teenage parties and stuff and having the censored version come on. I think it just sounds a little better too.

The radio version is also the only one where they say "cash money records takin over for the 99 and the 2000". Thats not on the uncensored version.