• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of songs that transcended the films that they were made for (Staying Alive, Eye of the Tiger, Danger Zone, etc.), but what songs do you think didn't match the films that they were made for at all? Sort of in a way that they were too good for what they were for.

Basically a version of this that isn't on purpose

My pick is Kiss from a Rose for Batman Forever

Last edited:

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
So are talking about songs that dont fit the movies or songs that are bigger than the movies they're in?
Either way, here's one that is none of the above:

This song was made for the movie "Romeo Is Bleeding", but Bon Jovi didn't like the movie, so he decided to not lend the music, and the band ended up releasing it as a single, a year later.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017

This song goes to a movie about burly oil dudes going up to space to blow up a asteroid, Armageddon.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm normally not a fan of Ed Sheeran, but 'I see fire' is fantastic, and it's wasted on the bland hobbit film. Or rather it's (together with Martin Freeman's performance) the only thing that actually feels like Tolkien's hobbit

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I'm normally not a fan of Ed Sheeran, but 'I see fire' is fantastic, and it's wasted on the bland hobbit film. Or rather it's (together with Martin Freeman's performance) the only thing that actually feels like Tolkien's hobbit

It's an okay ed sheeran song, but yeah it really doesn't fit the film at all for me, just shows what a mess the whole triology was aha.

For me its the great gatsby. Its so strange being in this CG 1920's new york and then Jay Z comes on. I love the songs they put in and I enjoy the film but tonally its kind of all over the place

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe many will disagree, but I thought 'You Could Be Mine' in Terminator 2 was pretty shoe-horned in for me (and I like both the track and the movie)

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I spent years thinking there was some huge meta joke about the ending song from Robin Hood: Men In Tights, but I think it really was just Mel Brooks wanting to write some weird R&B duet. It doesn't fit at all.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I spent years thinking there was some huge meta joke about the ending song from Robin Hood: Men In Tights, but I think it really was just Mel Brooks wanting to write some weird R&B duet. It doesn't fit at all.

It's 100% a meta joke because Prince of Thieves Has Everything I Do (I Do It For You)

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Weird take: Signal Fire by Snow Patrol, in Spider-Man 3, specially the music video with the kids acting the movie, did a better job of conveying the movie than the movie

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The 90s Disney movies were all pretty traditional musicals, but they tend to have really jarring modern pop songs for ending themes. Like, Mulan has some goofiness and stuff with Mushu, but the final scene being a bunch of ghosts dancing to 98 Degrees is uhh, weird.

One of the greatest, stupidest music videos of all time, too. With a vaguely gross orientalist vibe to the whole thing. How they roped Stevie Wonder into this I'll never know.

Oct 29, 2017
This might sound weird but I've Cubes theme to this movie. This song is about having an good time in the Strip Club. This movie is about bad times in Strip Clubs.

youtu.be

Ice Cube - We Be Clubbin'

“We Be Clubbin” is the first single from Ice Cube’s directorial debut and the soundtrack, The Player’s Club. The single was a minor success, only making it t...

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Kiss From a Rose actually came out in 1994 as a single. Schumacher liked it enough he included it in the soundtrack and even directed the music video (which was actually the song's second video). I think Seal's said he owes his fame to Joel.

Weird take: Signal Fire by Snow Patrol, in Spider-Man 3, specially the music video with the kids acting the movie, did a better job of conveying the movie than the movie

I agree. Actually turned me into a Snow Patrol fan for a while.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess most people who haven't seen it would think "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" is from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
My Vote:

Other than just the lyrics, the song itself is just this huge WTF that makes it the most 80s thing ever in a movie that almost never got made.

Maybe many will disagree, but I thought 'You Could Be Mine' in Terminator 2 was pretty shoe-horned in for me (and I like both the track and the movie)
To be perfectly fair, it only played during the movie once, sort of in the background and then during last part of the credits. It merely reeks of "popular rock band and hard hitting summer blockbuster" combinations of the late 80s and early 90s.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"You're the best" in Karate Kid was literally meant for a different movie. Rocky 3. Hence the line, "History repeats itself" which makes no sense in Karate Kid.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My Vote:

Other than just the lyrics, the song itself is just this huge WTF that makes it the most 80s thing ever in a movie that almost never got made.

To be perfectly fair, it only played during the movie once, sort of in the background and then during last part of the credits. It merely reeks of "popular rock band and hard hitting summer blockbuster" combinations of the late 80s and early 90s.

At this point I just associate the song with the time traveler meme

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
You Could Be Mine was perfectly fine, but the Bad To The Bone bit was some goofy shit.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
The 90s Disney movies were all pretty traditional musicals, but they tend to have really jarring modern pop songs for ending themes. Like, Mulan has some goofiness and stuff with Mushu, but the final scene being a bunch of ghosts dancing to 98 Degrees is uhh, weird.

One of the greatest, stupidest music videos of all time, too. With a vaguely gross orientalist vibe to the whole thing. How they roped Stevie Wonder into this I'll never know.

The biggest tragedy is that this song won't be in the live action one.

Lionel Mandrake

Oct 26, 2017
It's 100% a meta joke because Prince of Thieves Has Everything I Do (I Do It For You)

Yeah, but there's no real gag to it, which makes it weird. You'd expect some lyrics that poke fun at the concept. The closest we get is a line loosely referring to the chastity belt key. It's played completely straight, and that's so bizarre from a movie where the main character reads the script on camera.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but there's no real gag to it, which makes it weird. You'd expect some lyrics that poke fun at the concept. The closest we get is a line loosely referring to the chastity belt key. It's played completely straight, and that's so bizarre from a movie where the main character reads the script on camera.
The joke is that all movies in that era ended with a power ballad for Oscar bait. The movie it's a parody of did it

tvtropes.org

Award-Bait Song - TV Tropes

Or: The Big Damn Bronze Age Disney-Style Award-Baiting End-Credits Power Ballad. Tropers who grew up in the early 1990s know what we're talking about, right? It's the kind of song which plays over the end credits (usually) of an animated (usually …

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The song is the gag, though. The entire sequence is. That's why it's played kind of straight: the joke is lost if is just non-stop gags during it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Evanescence in Daredevil was funny.

Great songs though

I should read. It's Kiss from a Rose by Seal.

Lionel Mandrake

Oct 26, 2017
The joke is that all movies in that era ended with a power ballad for Oscar bait. The movie it's a parody of did it

tvtropes.org

Award-Bait Song - TV Tropes

Or: The Big Damn Bronze Age Disney-Style Award-Baiting End-Credits Power Ballad. Tropers who grew up in the early 1990s know what we're talking about, right? It's the kind of song which plays over the end credits (usually) of an animated (usually …

The song is the gag, though. The entire sequence is. That's why it's played kind of straight: the joke is lost if is just non-stop gags during it.

I get that it's part of the formula for 90s blockbusters, and that MIT is a send up of that, but I still contend that it's a weird way to end the movie, it simply doesn't carry the mood--which, yes, makes it like the movies it's parodying, but it's still kind of weird choice for an outlandish parody. It doesn't need to be a gag a minute thing, but a line about getting an Oscar nomination for the song, or maybe some double entendres I think would have worked better.

I mean, South Park did the same gag a few years later, actually got Michael McDonald, and still put jokes in.
(Contains homophobic language)

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Vote:

How has St Elmo's Fire not been mentioned yet.

I don't understand these two. What makes them not fit?

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is another good example of what I'm looking for but again, not done on purpose like it is here

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kiss From a Rose does seem like a really strange choice for that Batman movie. Then again it was the 90's, and barely anything related to movies made sense back then.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This from Muppet Treasure Island

Not sure why that one wouldn't fit. Sure, the non-Muppets version you shared is a bit weird, but the version that's actually in the movie does fit the scene it's in. If I was to point at a song from that movie that doesn't fit it would be the Damian Marley song that's in the credits.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to copy YouTube links on Chrome for Android, but the all-time champ has to be Fall Break by Peter Yellen, an unreasonably upbeat song written for the grim, nasty slasher movie Fall Break. (better known as The Mutilator)