• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I was listening to some gaming songs on Spotify and noticed that there are some songs from completely different franchises that composers have a tendency to reuse. The most obvious two examples that come to mind are these...

Ocarina of Time Ending. From 9:34-10:00...

And the Starfox 64 Ending. From 4:30-5:10...

And then these: Banjo-Kazooie Stop N Swop Theme. From 0:36-0:41...

And the Donkey Kong 64 Scoff n Troff Theme. From 0:34-0:40...

Anyone have any other good examples?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
The Incarnation of Devil wins this thread quite literally, having been reused across a wall of games from Star Oceans to Radiata Stories to the Valkyrie Profile series.

May 13, 2019
Plosive Attack form Parasite Eve:

Marginal Beast from Legend of Mana:

Both sountracks were composed by Yoko Shinomura.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Motoi Sakuraba : The Thread

Not only his motifs are quite similar at times :

But he genuinely plugged FULL tracks from one game to another.

What a magnificent lad. I love him so much.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The most obvious example is Totaka's song - an Easter Egg that appears in a multitude of games he was involved in:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Fantasy Zone, Hot Rod, Super Hang-On and Turbo Out Run all share the same 'Shop' theme.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
This is a weird one... The original Spyro trilogy composer Stewart Copeland reused one of its music for Nick's The Amanda Show, for whatever reason.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018

Omega theme from Final Fantasy XV Royal edition uses Final Fantasy V battle theme and FFV main theme and it's amazing. I dont know if the new songs for Royal edition where composed by Yoko Shimomura or was someone else

Edit: different franchises, well..FF changed a lot in the past years so...

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the exact same thing, but a notable one.

Megalovania was originally from Toby Fox's Earthbound Halloween Hack, then used it again in Homestuck, before becoming a lot more well known by its use in Undertale.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Motoi Sakuraba : The Thread

Not only his motifs are quite similar at times :

But he genuinely plugged FULL tracks from one game to another.

What a magnificent lad. I love him so much.

That's why i just don't like him anymore, he did some of my favourite soundtrack but these days it just all sound the same between all games it's just boring and uninspired (sure there will be one or two goosd tracks here and there, but overall it's just bad)

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Soken took a song from a horror game for the DS he worked and stuck it in Final Fantasy XIV as... a pop idol song. Appropriately creepy! (And one year this FFXIV "Little Ladies Day" festival did have a slightly hidden ghost story quest that was shockingly dark, involving abduction and implied sex trafficking...)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Not exactly what you ask, but Hyakutaro Tsukumo, the guy behind a lot of shoot em ups like thunder force V did a serie of songs that travel between franchise, that all follows the same style, they're called The Justice Ray !

He did 5 of them and they're amazing :

Part 1 is from Blast Wind
Part 2 is from Thunder Force V
Part 3 is from Broken Thunder
Part 4 is from Steel Roar 2
Part 5 is from Armored Hunter Gunhoud EX

I hope he'll do a part 6 someday

OP
OP
Grunty

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Just remembered another one. This one in particular isn't even the same composers...

Wrinkly's Cave In Donkey Kong Country 3...

And Princess Peach's Castle In Super Mario 64...

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wild Arms was one of my favourite games as a child. I must have been around 20 when I first saw The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and couldn't believe my ears.

Edit: maybe not exactly what OP was looking for, sorry!

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Wild Arms was one of my favourite games as a child. I must have been around 20 when I first saw The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and couldn't believe my ears.
This happened to me too! I watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly with my parents YEARS after having played Wild Arms and I gasped so hard I had to explain them why I got so emotional. It was a big deal for me but they kind of dismissed the moment saying "God, we raised a nerd"

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Hideki Naganuma did something similar. This track from JSRF gets reused and remixed in an arcade game called Ollie King

Concept of Love also gets a pretty neat remix too!
Reusing samples isnt really the same thing as reusing an entire song but in another Hideki Naganuma example, Banana Blitz's Smooth Sherbert and Sonic Rush's Raisin Me Up both share vocal samples

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There's the ever-famous case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Rygar, both on NES and from different companies, sharing the exact same song. Though the same composer was involved in both:

Also David Wise reused an old song from the NES game Pirates!, which he composed, for the King K. Rool theme in Donkey Kong Country:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
BT did a bunch of tracks for Die Hard Trilogy 2, which then also made it into Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions.