• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do we think of songs based around other songs?

• Fitting tribute?

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Creatively bankrupt?

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
There are some that can work well - when they acknowledge the nostalgia inherent in the premise, and have some stuff going on outside of that referencing.

But the songs in the OP? Absolutely abhorrent creatively bankrupt bullshit.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Twista/Kanye - Slow Jamz is a classic apart from the fact that it's made by Kanye

Nov 12, 2017
Almost always used as a crutch by hacks like Kid Rock.

Kinda feel the same way about remixes and covers. 99% of the time they are worse than the original.

Edit: talking about reusing riffs and melodies, as opposed to references in the lyrics etc.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If anyone has any other examples of songs like this that they like or are especially egregious, feel free to share.

in a weird twist, the singer of Werewolves of London has a song that also references Sweet Home Alabama

EDIT: and Sweet Home Alabama funnily enough has an entire verse dedicated to another artist and song

"Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow "

Southern Man being the neil young song that this was created in response to

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
"All Summer Long" invokes the nostalgia of a summer time spent on the beach getting drunk, smoking weed and singing "Sweet Home Alabama", the crux of the song is absolutely nostalgic. I don't know to me it's just a fun song.

Another one that is similar is Brad Paisley's "Old Alabama", which as it's name suggests utilizes old Alabama songs, namely "Mountain Music". Though this one has the benefit of featuring the members of Alabama on the track. Great tune.

There's actually numerous songs in this vein in recent country music.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Alright, look, you picked some creatively bankrupt examples. There's some genuinely great ones out there.

My personal favorite:

Last edited:

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I'm particularly fond of Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
There's a huge spectrum from the most miniscule samples or covert references in lyrics to whole scale rehashing or repackaging of classic hit songs. There's no one right or wrong way to do it.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Jeffrey Lewis has a great song about referencing another song - in this case Leonard Cohens Chelsea Hotel #2:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody posted Rocket by Def Leppard yet? I'm disappointed ERA.

It's the best and most creative one in regards to this topic.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okkervil River has a brilliant and clever song called "Plus Ones" stuffed full of references to other songs with numbers in their titles, with one added:
Choice lyrics:
'No one wants to hear about your 97th tear'
'And no one wants a tune about the 100th luftballoon"
'51st way to leave your lover, Admittedly, it doesn't seem to be as gentle, Or as clean as all the others'
'Kitten, not everyone's keen on lighting candle 17'

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This song is about being nostalgic for the days when the singer sang late 90s to mid 2000s chart-topping songs

"Oops I got ninety-nine problems singing bye, bye, bye
Hold up, if you wanna go and take a ride with me
Better hit me, baby, one more time
Paint a picture for you and me
Of the days when we were young
Singing at the top of both our lungs"

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
in a weird twist, the singer of Werewolves of London has a song that also references Sweet Home Alabama

EDIT: and Sweet Home Alabama funnily enough has an entire verse dedicated to another artist and song

"Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow "

Southern Man being the neil young song that this was created in response to

I had no idea SHA was throwing shade at Neil Young until now.

Always thought that song was oddly hypocritical, since Skynyrd are from Florida.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
ELO's (mercifully) unreleased Beatles Forever. Maybe the only ELO song I've heard that straight up sucks.

Jeff Lynne later repurposed parts of it for Video, a much better song.

ThouIsARobber

Oct 30, 2017
It can be both. If you want an egregious Kid Rock song on the topic, there's "Detroit, Michigan". The man's got so much love for his hometown that he...just lists a bunch of famous people who were from there.

But then there's a song like "Record Year", which manages to move past the "hey, I know that thing" phase. It namedrops a dozen albums and artists, but also puts it's own narrative around it all. It really just depends on how lazy the songwriter is feeling.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Okkervil River has a brilliant and clever song called "Plus Ones" stuffed full of references to other songs with numbers in their titles, with one added:
Choice lyrics:
'No one wants to hear about your 97th tear'
'And no one wants a tune about the 100th luftballoon"
'51st way to leave your lover, Admittedly, it doesn't seem to be as gentle, Or as clean as all the others'
'Kitten, not everyone's keen on lighting candle 17'

the sloop john b song on the same record is v good too.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure of enough songs that do this to determine whether this is a lame thing to do or not.

I like this one though. Does it count?

Obviously referencing Fight for Your Right to Party.