• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sometimes we need to take a step back from our bubble of shared knowledge and interests, and really see how people who take, at most, a casual glance at what's happening in the world of modern electronic devices understand how it works.

You can spend a whole afternoon explaining to your parents why the latest 4K Smart TV is superior in every way to the mid 00's widescreen SD TV in the living room but at the end of the day if they still can watch their favorite programs without really missing out on anything, what is the new expensive TV set really doing that the current one isn't already doing?

A couple of days ago, a colleague asked me what's the difference between the PS4 and the PS5. I answered: "Well, you know, it's essentially just faster and give you better graphics." Their answer: "Well, ok sure but that's it? Sound like I don't really need to buy one then, I'll just keep my PS4" I couldn't really think of anything as an answer to that.

We're so used to knowing every bit of detail from this particular interest of ours, so used to have this specific understanding of how they work and evolve, and the desire to keep up with its constant development, that whenever we're confronted with indifference or apathy towards it, it can be a sort of reality check. A reminder that as much as we love the latest cutting edge gadget, they're still largely superfluous objects in the context of everyday life.

For the average person, if something still looks like something on an old TV, then it's serving it's basic purpose. A better TV doesn't enhance the purpose of the content displayed in it and that's ok.

We can get too deep into this particular hole and we need to take a look outside sometimes.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is a tech enthusiast forum. People have an interest in how the latest gadgetry works. But I'm like the parents in your example. I really don't give a shit about always upgrading just to upgrade.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I've still rocking a 2009 high end (not top end, but second from) Sony Bravia as my main tv lol

Nothing in the last 11 years really pushed me to upgrade, but the combination of VRR for emulation and 4K for Lord of the Rings UHD is finally getting me there. Once HDMI 2.1 has settled down I'll be buying one...which I hope to last me till microled is viable

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of days ago, a colleague asked me what's the difference between the PS4 and the PS5. I answered: "Well, you know, it's essentially just faster and give you better graphics." Their answer: "Well, ok sure but that's it? Sound like I don't really need to buy one then, I'll just keep my PS4" I couldn't really think of anything as an answer to that.
Would you upgrade if all the PS5 games were also on PS4? And would remain so for the next 10 years?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do we even have any idea how long the PS4 will continue getting games? The only answer I can think of for that person's question is, "You won't be able to play new games on the PS4... Eventually..." Which isn't a problem if you don't care about new games. It'll still play the old games just fine.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Their answer: "Well, ok sure but that's it? Sound like I don't really need to buy one then, I'll just keep my PS4" I couldn't really think of anything as an answer to that.
You don't, really, because they aren't wrong. If they are happy with their PS4, why would they buy the new model?

This isn't the 16-bit of 2D era jump to the 32-bit of 3D. That was such a major change that anyone could tell. Here, the general population is instead split into two: those who want the new shiny thing (but don't really understand what makes it different) and those who don't care and are fine with the older thing because there isn't a substantial/visible reason to upgrade.

Outside of tech enthusiasts, you can't make the general population care about the new advancements (meaning, the actual tech, not the "it's new, it's got to be better!") which to the layman don't really look any different. If you let someone play Spider-Man on a PS4, and then a week later get them to play the new one on the PS5 they will likely not be able to tell the difference. It's pretty hard to do it unless someone else pinpoints what the differences are or they actually had the eye for this sort thing being themselves also tech enthusiasts.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You can spend a whole afternoon explaining to your parents why the latest 4K Smart TV is superior in every way to the mid 00's widescreen SD TV in the living room

Widescreen SDTVs from the mid 00's? What

What's the difference between a PS3 and a PS4? or a PS2 and a PS4?

One is going to look and run a lot better than the other, but the most important thing to people who play games is that support for the PS4 is being phased out and there will be no more games to play on it in the very near future, which happens every time a new system is released.

AH yes, the reason to buy a PS5 today. That you won't get new PS4 games in two years anymore.

only enthusiasts who really like shiny new tech buy these systems "today" because there are few if any games that take advantage of what these systems can do at launch. It's all potential, with the added bonus of upgrading the performance of some of your older games. If you're not on that train, it makes no sense to tear your hair out trying to find a launch unit.

"no new games coming within about 2 years" is the overwhelming reason the mass market buys these things.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's the reason you buy a new console full stop because earlier consoles get discontinued.
That is a terrible reason for being an early adoptor though. You pay extra for a console with a very limited selection and typical early issues because they'll stop releasing games on the old one in a couple of years. I know I did the same in the past, and I probably would have done the same if I had seen a bit more of the PS5 when my store called if I wanted to pre-order. But it is inheritently stupid.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is a terrible reason for being an early adoptor though. You pay extra for a console with a very limited selection and typical early issues because they'll stop releasing games on the old one in a couple of years. I know I did the same in the past, and I probably would have done the same if I had seen a bit more of the PS5 when my store called if I wanted to pre-order. But it is inheritently stupid.
Being an early adopted of most things sucks but as someone with a PS5 I'm happy I have one. I wouldn't encourage anyone to go buy one right now and if they asked "why should I buy one" it's a dead give away they are not interested enough in the hobby to benefit from the early adoption.

That said I'd rather have it now than worry about randomly dropping ÂŁ500 when a game I want like God Of War is coming out and not having it due to some unforeseen reason.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

someone who "has no idea what the difference between a PS4 and a PS5 is" is not an early adopter. That's a casual fan. Early adopters are people who want to experience the latest thing but aren't price sensitive, or have a boatload of older software that would benefit from the boost in performance.

It makes a lot of sense for many people, just not the guy in the OP. For that guy, if he's totally unconcerned about performance of his games, the "no new games in about 2 years" is the reason he'd upgrade.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
When my parents saw the (OLED) light, they immediately bought one too. Maybe 80 year olds wont notice, but younger people do 100% OP! Keep in mind that most people who dont care about that stuff, buy a TV every 10 years or so. Why not introduce them to the best in tech, so they will enjoy the benefits for many years?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
You don't, really, because they aren't wrong. If they are happy with their PS4, why would they buy the new model?

This isn't the 16-bit of 2D era jump to the 32-bit of 3D. That was such a major change that anyone could tell. Here, the general population is instead split into two: those who want the new shiny thing (but don't really understand what makes it different) and those who don't care and are fine with the older thing because there isn't a substantial/visible reason to upgrade.

Outside of tech enthusiasts, you can't make the general population care about the new advancements (meaning, the actual tech, not the "it's new, it's got to be better!") which to the layman don't really look any different. If you let someone play Spider-Man on a PS4, and then a week later get them to play the new one on the PS5 they will likely not be able to tell the difference. It's pretty hard to do it unless someone else pinpoints what the differences are or they actually had the eye for this sort thing being themselves also tech enthusiasts.

I don't want to turn this into a gaming topic but he should have explained how loading times have been virtually eliminated and this will change the way games are made.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Widescreen is older than HDTV. I remember widescreen CRT's from the late 90's.

As a guy who sold tvs for a living during that exact time period, widecreen non-HD tvs were pretty rare (EDTVs) and were definitely not common at all by 2005. They were almost always rear projection tvs or the occasional low end LCD, and not CRTs.

Widescreen TVs and HDTVs showed up around the exact same time- because prior to DVD becoming mass market (roughly 99 or 2000) there simply wasn't enough widescreen content to justify it.

The widescreen CRT's I came across (mostly from Phillips and Sony) were HDTVs and not particularly cheap because they were targeting enthusiasts. The largest of those was a 40 inch HDTV Sony made for their WEGA line and the thing was damn near 400 pounds and absurdly expensive.

By the mid 00s they were mostly phased out, because LCDs and Plasmas had come down in price to the point where they didn't cost as much as a new car.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
When my parents saw the (OLED) light, they immediately bought one too. Maybe 80 year olds wont notice, but younger people do 100% OP! Keep in mind that most people who dont care about that stuff, buy a TV every 10 years or so. Why not introduce them to the best in tech, so they will enjoy the benefits for many years?
Not a personal example, actually. In fact, not too long ago, my elderly dad was interested in a cheap TV he saw on a catalogue and assumed it was superior to our current TV until I pointed it's the exact same TV we already have with just a different styling, lol.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a guy who sold tvs for a living during that exact time period, widecreen non-HD tvs were pretty rare (EDTVs) and were definitely not common at all by 2005. They were almost always rear projection tvs or the occasional low end LCD, and not CRTs.

Widescreen TVs and HDTVs showed up around the exact same time- because prior to DVD becoming mass market (roughly 99 or 2000) there simply wasn't enough widescreen content to justify it.

The widescreen CRT's I came across (mostly from Phillips and Sony) were HDTVs and not particularly cheap because they were targeting enthusiasts. The largest of those was a 40 inch HDTV Sony made for their WEGA line and the thing was damn near 400 pounds and absurdly expensive.

By the mid 00s they were mostly phased out, because LCDs and Plasmas had come down in price to the point where they didn't cost as much as a new car.
Alright, I stand corrected, and to be fair, I was a kid back when I saw those widescreen CRTs and had no notion of screen resolution, so I wasn't aware they were HDTV.

But I definitely remember plenty of people who owned non-HD LCD TVs before HDTV became the standard.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Should have asked him when did he get this latest phone and why.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't. I remember sitting in those waiting rooms with nothing to do but look at some magazine they kept on the side.

Or trying to play an 8 track tape and realizing it didn't rewind/fast forward.

I'll always appreciate good tech.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I remember my introduction to the concept of widescreen home video in about '95 when my brother accidently bought a copy of ROTJ that was widescreen:

0JHvRRq.png

The regret he had when it put it in the vcr and turned it on and we get this this letterbox image in the middle third of the screen which we had to strain our eyes to watch! I didn't even see a CRT widescreen in a shop till like 1998 lol.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I remember my introduction to the concept of widescreen home video in about '95 when my brother accidently bought a copy of ROTJ that was widescreen:

0JHvRRq.png

The regret he had, we had to strain our eyes to watch it as it appeared as this letterbox image in the middle third of the screen! I didn't even see a CRT widescreen in a shop till like 1998 lol.

Yep. You could find some movies in widescreen format prior to DVD blowing up, but the vast majority were still pan and scan (which is honestly really tough to watch now).

DVD kind of changed all that, but only some of that was related to the technology. During the mid to late 90s most VHS was priced for rental, not for sale. New VHS movies in 1997/1998 were around $100 a pop if you wanted to buy one at release (outside of Disney or children's films, which were their own thing and you had to deal with the Disney "vault") so most films were coming from Blockbuster- who bought pan and scan almost exclusively.

DVD blowing up changed home video from a renter's market to a buyer's market- so suddenly there was a shit ton of very high quality film available for cheap in widescreen as intended. Televisions that catered to this market followed shortly after.

edit: when I first started dating my wife she had a nasty habit of just running out and buying the cheapest possible copy of whatever movie she wanted to see, which is why we have a pile of absolutely horrible pan and scan DVDs of stuff like Ghostbusters in the house.

Last edited: