• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I have always had a soft spot for Wonder Woman, even though I'm not that into superheroes - I've read some comics here and there but mostly watched animated stuff, series and movies.

And growing up without internet the picture I had of her was someone who is basically as strong and tough as Superman. And indeed, there is some things that point in that direction, but I would say that the "final" word on the subject is that Wonder Woman is clearly not Superman's match. Inconsistent power levels is something common to superhero stories, and WW is in particular a strong victim of that (her weakness to bullets and sharp objectives being a good example of that). She sometimes can be portrayed as someone that can take on Superman, but possibly more often that not as someone who is in at least one league below him. I can remember that episode for JLA where she can barely keep up with one of his villains for example. And that was an adaptation of a comic book storyline.

And that's why I mentioned The Boys and Invincible on the title. Both these shows (comics I guess as well, but I'm talking about the shows alone, so please spoiler tag anything about the comics) have a Justice League analogue, and in consequence a Wonder Woman analogue: Queen Maeve and War Woman. Both are decisively outclassed by each series respective Superman analogues. Now, this is obviously more than just about WW and it has to do with the stories they wanted to tell. But I think this is a cool illustration to... illustrate what I'm talking about.

I suppose Superman is always meant to be the most powerful character, it's part of his mythos, and in consequence DC's. And the series I mentioned tap into that more than anything else, the idea of something that powerful existing. And many DC stories revolve around that. And sometimes I feel Wonder Woman is a bit trapped in that. Because it seems sometimes you have to believe she can take on Superman, sometimes you have to go with the idea that she is not his match. The latter being more "truthful" than the former.

Maybe I'm just being unreasonable here. But The Boys made me rethink of this and recently Invincible make me rerethink of it.

Do you guys have any opinion about that? Hopefully this thread is not too incoherent.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I have always thought the whole point of Superman was to beg the question "What should you do with insurmountable power?"...answer "The right thing". He kind of needs to be the most powerful, otherwise you undermine his role.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know, Superman is supposed to be in a league of his own. Back in the 90s, they made it a point to always say that Martian Manhunter was more powerful than Superman, but story wise he never was (plus his weakness is a lot more common). Same for Mon El and Daxamites. But yeah I think there's something to be said for the female counterparts always somehow being weaker: Superman and Supergirl, Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel, Batman and Batgirl: it's a pretty old fashioned concept.

I do think Wonder Woman can kill Superman, though. She's much more ruthless and she has magic.

The one example I can think off the top of my head where this isn't true is Supergirl the tv series: Superman in that series seems way weaker than her.

Also if you like Wonder Woman, don't read or play Injustice.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed about Invincible, with The Boys (show only ofc) I'm more willing to give it a pass because Maeve does have some good moments and the writers get a lot of mileage out of Homelander being the physically strongest being in the show.

This is kinda a sub problem of a larger problem with Invincible that
basically anyone that isn't a Vilturmite (particularly on Earth) doesn't get to do much ever

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is a lot to unpack.

1.) Even if Wonder Woman were definitively as strong as Superman it doesn't mean it would translate over to analogues of the character.
2.) Wonder Woman isn't as strong as Superman, but she's also exponentially better in hand to hand combat. In reality she should be able to "beat" him in a fight purely because Superman only knows how to brawl while she's been trained by immortal amazons.
3.) DC has done something very wrong if people are arguing over Wonder Woman's combat abilities. Wonder Woman is never afraid of fighting and she's excellent at it, but that's never a thing she should rush to be doing. She's about peace and love, and dragging her into arguments over who she can beat in a fight...I dunno, it bugs me.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Agreed about Invincible, with The Boys (show only ofc) I'm more willing to give it a pass because Maeve does have some good moments and the writers get a lot of mileage out of Homelander being the physically strongest being in the show.

basically anyone that isn't a Vilturmite (particularly on Earth) doesn't get to do much ever

Later in Invincible, there is a scene where the female is way stronger than the male counterpart, but it's kind of a purposeful reversal of roles.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
TIL wonder woman is not as strong as superman

i am on the normie side when it comes to comics but i always thought they were pretty close strength wise

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for strength of character comparisons Justice League: New Frontier gives her a tick in the win column:

She's also visibly bigger than him.

Last edited:

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I found Snyderverse WW's strength to be weirdly inconsistent. In BvS it looked like she was probably just a half-step behind Superman but in JL it's clear Superman outclassed the entire squad several times over.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Maeve in S1 was everything I was afraid she would be (even though her scene at the start of the show is incredible)
Maeve in S2 was everything I could hope for. I really hope they find a place for her in S3.

This is a lot to unpack.

1.) Even if Wonder Woman were definitively as strong as Superman it doesn't mean it would translate over to analogues of the character.
2.) Wonder Woman isn't as strong as Superman, but she's also exponentially better in hand to hand combat. In reality she should be able to "beat" him in a fight purely because Superman only knows how to brawl while she's been trained by immortal amazons.
3.) DC has done something very wrong if people are arguing over Wonder Woman's combat abilities. Wonder Woman is never afraid of fighting and she's excellent at it, but that's never a thing she should rush to be doing. She's about peace and love, and dragging her into arguments over who she can beat in a fight...I dunno, it bugs me.

Indeed. That why I mentioned the analogues are just an illustration. If WW was as strong as Superman historically, we would be rewritten the entire DC's story. And it's not exactly about beating him in combat, it's about being in the same league (or not). But one of those, and not trying to have it both ways, which I think is what happens. And that what I don't like.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I don't mind her not being as physically strong as Superman, but I do think her access to magic should partially bypass his invulnerability and allow her hurt or kill him, if she wished.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I found Snyderverse WW's strength to be weirdly inconsistent. In BvS it looked like she was probably just a half-step behind Superman but in JL it's clear Superman outclassed the entire squad several times over.

And in the first WW movie (at the end), she arguably has more power than any subsequent (timeline-wise) appearance.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the concept of Superman never worked in a super hero team up. It's almost always some type of variant of nerf Superman's power level or incapacitate him for a duration so that the rest of the league can be useful.

Also can't WW's sword actually hurt Superman? She can sort of hold her own against a non absurd silver age Superman. The real problem again is that... the league isn't big enough for two Superman tier characters so both of them invariably get nerfed.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It would feel weird to just have two Superman on the team. The entire point of The Trinity is that each have their specialties.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If Superman is 100, at the worse Wonder Woman is about a 90.

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh the concept of Superman never worked in a super hero team up. It's almost always some type of variant of nerf Superman's power level or incapacitate him for a duration so that the rest of the league can be useful.

Also can't WW's sword actually hurt Superman? She can sort of hold her own against a non absurd silver age Superman. The real problem again is that... the league isn't big enough for two Superman tier characters so both of them invariably get nerfed.

Well he can't be everywhere at once is why. Seldom do they have him having to "team up" with the others unless it's an enemy arguably stronger than all of them (like Darkseid) or kryptonite is involved

May 9, 2019
What doesn't help WW, even more, is when they started giving her that damn sword and shield. When WW didn't carry around weapons her speed, endurance, and strength feats were off the charts. This was always the case in comics and out. When it was just her tiara, lasso, and bracelets she was a heavyweight. I can't explain it really but giving her an arsenal of weapons somehow made her weaker. She can no longer show off her own strength or physical skills.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And growing up without internet the picture I had of her was someone who is basically as strong and tough as Superman. And indeed, there is some things that point in that direction, but I would say that the "final" word on the subject is that Wonder Woman is clearly not Superman's match. Inconsistent power levels is something common to superhero stories, and WW is in particular a strong victim of that (her weakness to bullets and sharp objectives being a good example of that). She sometimes can be portrayed as someone that can take on Superman, but possibly more often that not as someone who is in at least one league below him. I can remember that episode for JLA where she can barely keep up with one of his villains for example. And that was an adaptation of a comic book storyline.
Historically, Wonder Woman was nowhere near Superman. She had enhanced abilities, including super speed and strength, but nowhere close to Superman's planetary level. This all changed in the 80s reboot though, when they started pushing her much closer to Superman - it was even when she first was portrayed as being able to fly too to sell the idea of her standing on his level.

But, yes, in spite of that, due to her long history of being portrayed as much weaker, she is generally still portrayed one level bellow him in both comics and adaptations. I think part of the issue though, aside from influences of her old portrayal, is that unlike Superman she has no real weakness. Superman has Kryptonite, Red Sun radiation or lack of yellow sun light to depower him, in addition to magic, although this last one depends on the writer. There are several Superman vs Wonder Woman match ups where Wonder Woman easily beats him due to her abilities being considered magic.

Injustice is all about a rogue Superman taking over, and yet it only really happens because other heroes stay by his side or even push him forward. When he faced Wonder Woman in the comic prequel he easily lost.
wonder-woman-beats-superman-injustice-gods-among-us-6.jpg

Last edited:

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it, and its in least partially due to all the stupid evil superman trope stuff I'll admit. But also aint nobody needs a comic universe where a man is number 1, best thing MCU did was powering up Carol.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Historically, Wonder Woman was nowhere near Superman. She had enhanced abilities, including super speed and strength, but nowhere close to Superman's planetary level. This all changed in the 80s reboot though, when they started pushing her much closer to Superman - it was even when she first was portrayed as being able to fly too to sell the idea of her standing on his level.

But, yes, in spite of that, due to her long history of being portrayed as much weaker, she is generally still portrayed one level bellow him in both comics and adaptations. I think part of the issue though, aside from influences of her old portrayal, is that unlike Superman she has no real weakness. Superman has Kryptonite, Red Sun radiation or lack of yellow sun light to depower him, in addition to magic, although this last one depends on the writer. There are several Superman vs Wonder Woman match ups where Wonder Woman easily beats him due to her abilities being considered magic.

Injustice is all about a rogue Superman taking over, and yet it only really happens because other heroes stay by his side or even push him forward. When he faced Wonder Woman in the comic prequel he easily lost.

I only read a few Injustice comics so I didn't see that. But in the game alone, as far as I remember, the story was clearly that only Superman could beat Superman. Wonder Woman on the other hand can be defeat by Deathstroke for example.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say Eve got to do stuff with her powerset towards the end. They actually Debbie Grayson stuff to do besides drink so I'm fairly hopeful that Eve will be more consequental throughout this adaptation. Her powers are so OP so it'd be kind of a waste to not explore them since she's essentially an immortal god lol

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
This is a lot to unpack.

DCEU kind of wanked Superman's strength a bit too much tbh.

Honestly WW should be way stronger than she's shown to be in the movies.

Also like you said her fighting skills straight up outclass his. She should have been fine if not done better that SM vs Steppenwulf . Especially when you contrast it to how she did the best against Doomsday

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I only read a few Injustice comics so I didn't see that. But in the game alone, as far as I remember, the story was clearly that only Superman could beat Superman. Wonder Woman on the other hand can be defeat by Deathstroke for example.
Like I said, the magic part is really inconsistent, I don't think it was even brought up in Injustice 1 (the game).

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
WW has the skill and tools to kill Superman. If it's the version of WW that has her god mode she may be able to match his power indirectly. I don't know if her god mode makes her as strong and fast as him, but she gets a power boost.

She's not even close to being as invulnerable as he is.

I didn't see it as being inconsistent as nothing in BvS suggested that she was anywhere close to being as powerful as Superman. Superman sent DD flying back with pure power and speed, while WW was using fighting skill. The fight showed that she was strong enough to battle DD, but her hits didn't pack the same power.

She was trying to kill Doomsday, but was only trying to subdue Superman. In JL it was clear that she was hesitant to really battle him. I will say that the Synder cut of JL was more consistent with the WW we saw in BvS if you're taking about the SW fight.

JL was also the only time we saw Superman have a true fight against someone that wasn't Kryptonian.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It always blew my mind that Superman was considered the most powerful being when I grew up watching the Superman animated show and Justice League where he always got his ass kicked in almost every episode. It was cool and eye opening when they had an episode where he truly showcased his power. It starts at 2:30.

It begs the question, what is the likelihood percentage of someone doing the right thing if they came across Superman's powers?

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
The one instance I remember where she was seemingly more powerful than him was Superman: Red Son, although in that same movie you got her being kidnapped by Batman... Yeah, not a good look there

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
DCEU kind of wanked Superman's strength a bit too much tbh.

Honestly WW should be way stronger than she's shown to be in the movies.

Also like you said her fighting skills straight up outclass his. She should have been fine if not done better that SM vs Steppenwulf . Especially when you contrast it to how she did the best against Doomsday

I mean the DCEU blows so I really can't speak on that to begin with.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there's a comic where Batman is showing Clark that he has contingerncy plans for every member of the Justice League incase they turn evil or whatever, but then gets to Wonder Woman and basically says to Supes that Diana has no Kryptonite or obvious weakness to exploit. As such, if they're ever in a position where they have to take her down, Superman will basically be the only one powerful enough to have a shot at stopping her.

She may not be literally as strong or fast as Supes, but she's far and away a better fighter/warrior than pretty much everyone in the League, including Superman. So Supes' raw strength and speed would be the only potential edge he'd have over her if it came down to it.

It always blew my mind that Superman was considered the most powerful being when I grew up watching the Superman animated show and Justice League where he always got his ass kicked in almost every episode. It was cool and eye opening when they had an episode where he truly showcased his power. It starts at 2:30.

It begs the question, what is the likelihood percentage of someone doing the right thing if they came across Superman's powers?

I can't seem to find it, but there's an interview with Bruce Timm where he says Superman getting his ass handed him so much in the early seasons of Justice League was a deliberate creative choice on part of the writers. He said there original approach to Superman in the show was to have him get hurt a lot in every fight as a way of communicating to the audience how big of a threat the League was up against. As if to say, "Wow, if even Superman is getting beaten up, then the League must really be in trouble!"

The unfortunate (and unintended, according to Bruce Timm) bi-product of this was it ended up making Superman look like a bumbling, idiotic wimp. And fans began to take notice and called Timm out on it. So right when Justice League Unlimited hit they finally pulled back from that approach and made Superman out to be as strong and competant as he's supposed to be.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it, and its in least partially due to all the stupid evil superman trope stuff I'll admit. But also aint nobody needs a comic universe where a man is number 1, best thing MCU did was powering up Carol.

Still think the worst part about Carol is that she isn't that interesting. I'm hoping CM2 remedies that. But without making her an asshole like in the comics (and particularly Civil War II).

Pedantic: That said, MCU is in a weird place with power levels. Not quite sure if she's been powered up or if she's in a weird middle ground. At her most powerful in the comics, she's wiped a planet.

Though her MCU portrayal seems like it's in line with where she currently is in the comics.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
These things are rough because power levels are made by the writer of the story to fit the narrative of what they are trying to tell. Anyone should be able to beat superman with kryptonite or putting him in the phantom zone. Batman is a guy with no powers but he is continually shown to us as able to defeat anyone with enough prep time which to me is kind of ridiculous. In my head cannon Wonder Woman can beat Superman if she has to.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These things are rough because power levels are made by the writer of the story to fit the narrative of what they are trying to tell. Anyone should be able to beat superman with kryptonite or putting him in the phantom zone. Batman is a guy with no powers but he is continually shown to us as able to defeat anyone with enough prep time which to me is kind of ridiculous. In my head cannon Wonder Woman can beat Superman if she has to.

Probably, but I think OPs issue is that she's not as strong as him, which is valid.

Maybe someone has some of her better feats, but in terms of raw strength, yeah, she's usually lower.

Her combat ability is not to be fucked with, though. That probably needs to be demonstrated more though, in comparison to Supes.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
She always seemed an in between of being smart/skilled like Batman and strong like Superman. While this would practically be better I think, 90% of the stories she just feels mediocre at both compare to them.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Kara just as strong and fast as Superman? Wonder woman isn't a kyptonian who seem to be the strongest race of aliens in that universe.

Superman is annoying as is, there is no point to even having a justice league when only 1 member is useful in anyway against any villain that could threaten them all.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The idea that WW has to canonically less strong than Superman in order to maintain his status as "the bestest" feels especially bullshit if we're also still operating on the canon which has repeatedly stated that Supes is slower than the Flash.

What doesn't help WW, even more, is when they started giving her that damn sword and shield. When WW didn't carry around weapons her speed, endurance, and strength feats were off the charts. This was always the case in comics and out. When it was just her tiara, lasso, and bracelets she was a heavyweight. I can't explain it really but giving her an arsenal of weapons somehow made her weaker. She can no longer show off her own strength or physical skills.
100% agree. Plus, the shield always felt redundant when you have the bracelets, and giving her a stabbing weapon always felt at odds with a character that was supposed to be an ambassador of peace.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
100% agree. Plus, the shield always felt redundant when you have the bracelets, and giving her a stabbing weapon always felt at odds with a character that was supposed to be an ambassador of peace.

Yuck. I got to see sword & shield Diana and lasso & tiara Diana adaptations on HBO Max within a few months of each other.
I know which one I preferred.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yuck. I got to see sword & shield Diana and lasso & tiara Diana adaptations on HBO Max within a few months of each other.
I know which one I preferred.
Well, I'd argue that the quality of those films aren't necessarily indicative of the narrative value of the accoutrements contained therein, but if you prefer sword and board Diana, that's cool. Just not really my preferred interpretation of the character, I guess.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Kara just as strong and fast as Superman? Wonder woman isn't a kyptonian who seem to be the strongest race of aliens in that universe.
Generally Superman is portrayed as stronger due to being under Earth's sun for longer (he grew up under it while Kara generally arrives as a teen).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I have always thought the whole point of Superman was to beg the question "What should you do with insurmountable power?"...answer "The right thing". He kind of needs to be the most powerful, otherwise you undermine his role.

That is indeed, the point.

Superman's super power is virtue. Not having a million different quirks.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
This is a lot to unpack.

That is correct. She's a warrior and will do what needs to be done and won't hold back. She has the tools to kill a kryptonian.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Superman needs to be strong as much as he needs to be invulnerable.

Superman's great because he (used to?) fights human problems while everyone else is playing Who's the Strongest.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Wonder Woman IS as strong as Superman though. There are several instances where she goes toe to toe with characters that Superman also goes toe to toe with, like Darkseid.

Unless I am forgetting something, there is no rule that states WW is weaker than Superman. Her dad is Zeus!