• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Speaking of Let's Go frustrations- I can't get the Go Park transfer thing with Pokemon Go to work at all. everything I've read online as a "for sure way" to do it (which requires unpairing all Bluetooth connections from your phone) doesn't work for me. It's very frustrating as one of the main reasons my husband has been playing the game co-op with me was to unlock the Mystery Box in his Pokemon Go account.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Mews gone forever? Thats pretty fucked up, but also doesn't surprise me with Nintendo at all.
Always two steps forward 500 steps back with that company.
The Mew is an event distribution and once you receive it you have received it, so if you lose it then of course you'll lose it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yeah that's more on Game Freak than Nintendo. Not saying that Nintendo is blameless cause they really should be making cloud saves mandatory for all companies, but Game Freak is the one who designed the game the way it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Mew is in your save game and your save game can't be backed up. What else would you expect to happen to it if the save gets corrupted?

Items that are impossible to obtain outside the game, but are stored in a single save that can't be backed up, are a disaster waiting to happen. There's really no solution to this problem that won't also allow duplication via trade->restoring, other than some sort of "must be online to trade" solution that Nintendo will probably never enforce on a portable game.
The Mew is an event distribution and once you receive it you have received it, so if you lose it then of course you'll lose it.

How about a code with Mew on that applies to your Nintendo account, so that when you need to wipe the console or your save becomes corrupted, its still possible to download it again to the game?
You know, like the PS4 and the Xbox have been doing for years.

Also, I'd hardly call the Pokeball an event distribution.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How about a code with Mew on that applies to your Nintendo account, so that when you need to wipe the console or your save becomes corrupted, its still possible to download it again to the game?

No, the Mew is the event distribution as a special gift when you by the Poké Ball Plus.

As for the code appying to your Nintendo Account, maybe that's how it should go forward but that'd just result in people cloning and repeating things and sending them out ridiculously in trades which isn't what they want

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This reminds me of a question I have.

I just bought a Switch. I've put about 15 hours into Smash World of Light on the packed in memory card.

But yesterday I ordered a bigger memory card to put in the system. Am I going to have issues with my Smash save file transfering over? My copy is a physical one, so does the save go to the cart, or the memory card?

Oct 25, 2017
No, the Mew is the event distribution as a special gift when you by the Poké Ball Plus.

As for the code appying to your Nintendo Account, maybe that's how it should go forward but that'd just result in people cloning and repeating things and sending them out ridiculously in trades which isn't what they want
Considering the Pokeball is still available, I'd have to respectfully disagree about it being an event distribution.

And yea, thats how it should be, its on them to resolve the duplication issue and not the end consumer losing out on an item that cost upwards of £40 in the UK because they cant think of solution to this.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is that true? Not all Steam games have cloud saves.
Worst case scenario on Steam is you back up your saves to a cloud storage service yourself, if you want to. There's no equivalent on switch.

I just bought a Switch. I've put about 15 hours into Smash World of Light on the packed in memory card.

But yesterday I ordered a bigger memory card to put in the system. Am I going to have issues with my Smash save file transfering over? My copy is a physical one, so does the save go to the cart, or the memory card?

Neither. Saves are all on internal storage, regardless of if the game is physical or downloaded.

Jun 20, 2019

Neither, the save is in system memory.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

In my experience you simply copy paste from one to the other

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I don't get it, why didn't they make Mew a dlc that you have tied to your account forever like everyone else these days?

Seems like a really stupid decision to me.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Was it your save that was corrupted, or the game itself? I've had a few games get corrupted when I transfer to a new SD card, so it makes me redownload them, but the save data for them has always been fine in the end.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
The brand defense is so strong. It's ok to admit your favorite team isn't perfect sometimes :)

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't get it, why didn't they make Mew a dlc that you have tied to your account forever like everyone else these days?

Seems like a really stupid decision to me.

Because GameFreak is even more behind the times than Nintendo.

But seriously, that's actually shameless to put out a 40-50$ Mew (pokeball accessory doesn't matter much, if you want Mew that's what you gotta pay either way) with no failsafe against crap like this.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
For our ridiculously technical friends:
No cloud saves in Pokemon is a GameFreak problem.
Mew being distributed in the pokeball is a GameFreak and Nintendo problem.
No cloud saves in Animal Crossing and Splatoon is a Nintendo problem.

At the end of the day Nintendo should have done cloud saves the same way MS does with the Xbox-all games no choice in the matter with good data synchronization. Sony doesn't do this well either with their method. Nintendo needs to really work on their online and get it on par with PSN/XBL or just outright buy it from MS.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The brand defense is so strong. It's ok to admit your favorite team isn't perfect sometimes :)

I bet I can find plenty of your posts doing the same, what do you think you are achieving with this post?

Edit: On topic this is more of a Game Freak problem and I think the OP is extremely hyperbolic and reactionary.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah that's more on Game Freak than Nintendo. Not saying that Nintendo is blameless cause they really should be making cloud saves mandatory for all companies, but Game Freak is the one who designed the game the way it is.
This post nails it. Nintendo themselves aren't free of blame elsewhere. But within the specific context of the OP's complaint, it's more on Game Freak.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm *still* pissed that they advertised Let's Go with the notion that you can transfer *any* Kanto Pokemon from GO to the game, but then sneakily made it so that even though you can get Mew in GO, and it's a Kanto Pokemon, you're *forced* to buy a Pokeball Plus in order to use one in the game. That's just misleading and scummy.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I think there's blame on all sides for this. It's ok to admit that even if you love Nintendo.
Except, once again, this is more on Game Freak than Nintendo. And yes Nintendo has fault too by not making it a forced implementation.

But the way the event Mew was distributed, the price of the Plus, the lack of cloud saves on Pokemon games, and numerous other issues that people have with the Pokemon games fall on Game Freak.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
GameFreak isn't Nintendo. Everyone knows GF is most of the time absolutely incompetent.

I see this claim that GameFreak is incompetent from time to time. All I can think is that if they're incompetent then how do they continue making one of the most beloved and successful franchises in the world– not just video games?

Their choices can be frustrating, but I think they know what they are doing.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
OP this is nothing, try having your entire living Pokédex deleted because Pokémon Bank doesn't tell you it's going to erase your last 17 years of efforts.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

How does that solve the problem with people trading away Mew, then deleting their save and restoring it again? Your solution is simply a far more limited cloud save that still causes the exact same issue cloud saves do (and why they're forbidden for Pokemon games).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GameFreak is one of the most consistently frustrating developers out there. I think I'm done buying stuff made by them for the time being.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I see this claim that GameFreak is incompetent from time to time. All I can think is that if they're incompetent then how do they continue making one of the most beloved and successful franchises in the world– not just video games?

Their choices can be frustrating, but I think they know what they are doing.

"Success" = "knowledge" is only true in the world view of a 5 year old.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How does that solve the problem with people trading away Mew, then deleting their save and restoring it again? Your solution is simply a far more limited cloud save that still causes the exact same issue cloud saves do (and why they're forbidden for Pokemon games).

The secret is that cloning Pokémon has never been an issue and blocking cloud saves to prevent it only serves to screw over people who could have otherwise been fine with using cloud saves.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform wars rhetoric.
The defense force going on here...
Nothing will change with Nintendo because people will defend them for everything.

Sorry for you OP.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said to someone else earlier, its on Game Freak / Nintendo to figure this out, not the consumer, the solution I posted is whats accepted for DLC on the other platforms, meaning you can access it on any console as its all tied to the account you play on.

The consumer being at a loss because of these two companies stupidity isn't fair. A one time code for Mew with the risk of save file corruption or the Switch itself failing isn't something that should exist in this day and age, but its Nintendo, so its expected at this point, given their history of illogical decisions. And I say this as a happy Switch owner, so please don't think I'm just taking a dig for the sake of it.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Worst case scenario on Steam is you back up your saves to a cloud storage service yourself, if you want to. There's no equivalent on switch.

Neither. Saves are all on internal storage, regardless of if the game is physical or downloaded.
Neither, the save is in system memory.
In my experience you simply copy paste from one to the other

So I won't have any trouble when I put the new memory card in? My save will just be there next time I boot up Smash?

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Why do people keep saying that there is a Nintendo defense force in this thread??? This isn't just a Nintendo thing, it's a Game Freak thing even more for crying out loud.

People are pointing out that Nintendo isn't only at fault and the responses are "smh Nintendo defense force"?

Feb 10, 2018
giphy.webp