• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When did you start to like Jill?

• Resident Evil 1

Votes: 274 45.7%
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Votes: 129 21.5%
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2

Votes: 33 5.5%
  • REmake

Votes: 74 12.3%
  • Resident Evil 5

Votes: 16 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 2.7%
  • I never cared for her

Votes: 58 9.7%

• Total voters

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
She was hot in the first game, hot in re3, hot in 5,hot in revelations.

I still wonder was the actor for the live action-scenes from the first game...

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Probably was since Capcom doesn't seem to care all that much.

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif
lol! are you for real?

Yeah, Both are very Chemistry.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Yeah, Both are very Chemistry.

I'll be honest, Jake and Sherry are pretty much my favorite duo in RE6, and do think their interactions were handled as well as anyone was handled in that game. Goofy as it was I cared for the grumpy mercenary and the world's most adorably earnest secret agent, much more than I did generic shooter protagonist #2 and girl with a stupid sexy spider sister. But... that still means they had 1/4-1/3 of one of the most controversial games in the franchise.

I've said it before, but with how big RE6 was, it would've been a good idea to split it up into multiple games that were then indivdually balanced and polished (it'd have the side benefit of not having to introduce, then dispose of, two brand new evil masterminds in one game).

So the TLDR is that I like them a lot, but they're probably below Oven Man/His Oven in terms of iconic RE pairings.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Jill is okay but i wouldnt really say i care for her? And i kinda dislike the entire situation revolving her in RE5

Only RE character i care is BARRY

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I've said it before, but with how big RE6 was, it would've been a good idea to split it up into multiple games that were then indivdually balanced and polished (it'd have the side benefit of not having to introduce, then dispose of, two brand new evil masterminds in one game).

I still wonder did they test the game before? No way that tester not complain about it.

I guess it too late to rework since they spent a lot of money.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I'm not the biggest fan of the RE games, so it's shocking how mad I get when reminded about what Capcom did to Jill in RE5. Forget RE4 Remake talk, RE5 needs to be remade to undo what they did to her in that game.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
REmake 3 was an epic disappointment, an average game and a terrible remake. That said, had I wanted to create a thread to say bad (but reasonable) things about it, I would simple have created a thread to say bad (but reasonable) things about it. There is not need to be oblique.

No it was not an average game. Shorter than it should be but the disappointment is subjective. It is a reimagining not a 1:1 remake. Hell remake 2 cut out way more than 3 did and character for character is barely a longer game than 3 is so I don't get your beef.

Oct 27, 2017
No it was not an average game. Shorter than it should be but the disappointment is subjective. It is a reimagining not a 1:1 remake. Hell remake 2 cut out way more than 3 did and character for character is barely a longer game than 3 is so I don't get your beef.
It is a bad remake. Plenty of stuff was gone.

I am not sure what exactly you mean with REmake 2 cutting out more than REmake 3. Most of RE2 was remade or had other additions to replace what didn't return. REmake 3 basically made it linear, without meaningful replay value, removed choices, removed a lot of areas and also removed stuff like mercenaries. Not only that, Nemesis was turned into a joke and nowhere near as threatning as Mr X (funny how the tables have turned).

Is it good on it's own? Sure but is it a good "remake"? It can never be.

What it did better is it did Jill justice. That's the best part about it and why I feel really disappointed with it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its not an accident when she was made part of MvC2, that put her on the map for a lot more people, and while RE3 got good reviews at the time, it already showed hints of franchise fatigue

9024860fa90c827cf45af0f2d9c25822.jpg

Its a best case scenario for a developer when you can have 4 iconic main characters, its incredibly rare and Capcom doesnt an alright, if not stellar, job of utilizing their character library

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well, Jill has come up in the RE a lot more than other protagonists. Chris and Leon had their big games them the franchise shifted gears. Jill, meanwhile, was the protog of RE1, then the protag of RE3. Then they remade RE1 which imo solidified her as *the* Resident Evil protagonist (she's on the box art). Then she was more sidelined but still appeared in a lot of games and was in Revelations.

Kinda has the same appearance trajectory as Snake from Metal Gear Solid. Sure, he's not the main protagonist in every game, but he's always kinda there, even when he's not. That's how I feel about Jill.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It is a bad remake. Plenty of stuff was gone.

I am not sure what exactly you mean with REmake 2 cutting out more than REmake 3. Most of RE2 was remade or had other additions to replace what didn't return. REmake 3 basically made it linear, without meaningful replay value, removed choices, removed a lot of areas and also removed stuff like mercenaries. Not only that, Nemesis was turned into a joke and nowhere near as threatning as Mr X (funny how the tables have turned).

Is it good on it's own? Sure but is it a good "remake"? It can never be.

What it did better is it did Jill justice. That's the best part about it and why I feel really disappointed with it.

The character zapping system, the B scenario is shorter, where's Claire's bowgun? Marvin's transformation being gone for us to just find him as a zombie only if you walk by or past him, Mr being on the hunt for Sherry's locket, the lab being what it is, no moth, no crows, no spiders that awesome birkin cutscene being reduced to two tapes that showed us nothing. Only one character meets Kendo, the way the music was handled in the game.

I don't mind that sewer boss being turned into a bunch of mini bosses and yeah I agree with you on Nemesis in RE3R, he killed more Umbrella members than STARS members which he killed none of.

Oct 27, 2017
The character zapping system, the B scenario is shorter, where's Claire's bowgun? Marvin's transformation being gone for us to just find him as a zombie only if you walk by or past him, Mr being on the hunt for Sherry's locket, the lab being what it is, no moth, no crows, no spiders that awesome birkin cutscene being reduced to two tapes that showed us nothing. Only one character meets Kendo, the way the music was handled in the game.

I don't mind that sewer boss being turned into a bunch of mini bosses and yeah I agree with you on Nemesis in RE3R, he killed more Umbrella members than STARS members which he killed none of.
Most of the stuff you are talking about are story related and in no way compares to the amount of the stuff that was gone from REmake 3. They just don't compare to cutting out a huge chunk of the city, the grave digger, multiple enemies, the clocktower/park/dead factory, all the puzzles, mercenaries, choices etc.

REmake 2 was disappointing in a lot of ways. Some enemies like the spiders and crows were gone sure, but when you think about it, spiders were in the game for a a couple of minutes and just that, the crows were too. The bowgun was gone but it wasn't that special either compared to the other guns. The zapping system being gone is sad. Some stuff were cut out but they also added chunks to it. Mr X used to be a joke but they made him an actual threat that is effective the first couple of times you play the game. The police station was expanded and had entire new rooms added to it. The sewers were bigger. Some locations that didn't return were reworked into existing locations or into entirely new locations. The intro movie was playable this time. Small systems like ammo crafting, blue herbs being a buff were new. Whatever they removed was still replaced with new stuff.

Heck, even side stuff were expanded on like the Hunk escape mode or the tofu escape. And all of that was done while they were running into dev issues and that might explain why the zapping system was as weird as it was.

Now compare REmake 3. The city was cut short with entire areas being gone or skipped over. You get done with the first hour in 10 or minutes. The clocktower wasn't even in the game (one of the most iconic places in the original), the whole thing feels very under backed and rushed. It gets worse when you consider the fact they didn't have much issues while making the game compared to REmake 2 so I don't see any excuse why they didn't do a good job remaking it.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Rereading the OP... is she even a "legend"? She's a fan favorite, sure, but I'd think almost any random person would say Chris or Leon's the hero of RE over her. She was in MvC... so was a marraca-wielding cactus and Blackheart, IIRC, its a random grab-bag of characters, some "legends" others are MODOK. Her last appearance in a big name RE game that wasn't a retellingwas as a side character in 5, and starred in a handheld budget spinoff. Like... there's more Google searches for her, yeah, but I'd think most folk, especially only casually knowledgeable about the franchise, know her as "an RE character"... while they'd probably say Chris or Leon (maybe Claire, given the good will to RE2) are "the" RE character (could be wrong, anyone know if there's polling on the matter).

Like... the thread here is that we all love Jill, to varying degrees. But we're an enthusiast thread on an enthusiast board.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Most of the stuff you are talking about are story related and in no way compares to the amount of the stuff that was gone from REmake 3. They just don't compare to cutting out a huge chunk of the city, the grave digger, multiple enemies, the clocktower/park/dead factory, all the puzzles, mercenaries, choices etc.

REmake 2 was disappointing in a lot of ways. Some enemies like the spiders and crows were gone sure, but when you think about it, spiders were in the game for a a couple of minutes and just that, the crows were too. The bowgun was gone but it wasn't that special either compared to the other guns. The zapping system being gone is sad. Some stuff were cut out but they also added chunks to it. Mr X used to be a joke but they made him an actual threat that is effective the first couple of times you play the game. The police station was expanded and had entire new rooms added to it. The sewers were bigger. Some locations that didn't return were reworked into existing locations or into entirely new locations. The intro movie was playable this time. Small systems like ammo crafting, blue herbs being a buff were new. Whatever they removed was still replaced with new stuff.

Heck, even side stuff were expanded on like the Hunk escape mode or the tofu escape. And all of that was done while they were running into dev issues and that might explain why the zapping system was as weird as it was.

Now compare REmake 3. The city was cut short with entire areas being gone or skipped over. You get done with the first hour in 10 or minutes. The clocktower wasn't even in the game (one of the most iconic places in the original), the whole thing feels very under backed and rushed. It gets worse when you consider the fact they didn't have much issues while making the game compared to REmake 2 so I don't see any excuse why they didn't do a good job remaking it.

Yeah I hear you. I'm of the mind that they both, as remakes or as a reimagining could both have been better. Sure the stuff I mentioned that got cut in 2 aren't too big of a deal in the big picture but sometimes it's the little things that make what you remember about a game a big part of the game... if I'm explaining that right.
I just don't think both RE2 or 3 are bad games because of it. I can see why people are disappointed because I have my disappointments with it too. But it isn't enough to call the games a crime.
Twin Snakes on the other hand 🙃

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I hear you. I'm of the mind that they both, as remakes or as a reimagining could both have been better. Sure the stuff I mentioned that got cut in 2 aren't too big of a deal in the big picture but sometimes it's the little things that make what you remember about a game a big part of the game... if I'm explaining that right.
I just don't think both RE2 or 3 are bad games because of it. I can see why people are disappointed because I have my disappointments with it too. But it isn't enough to call the games a crime.
Twin Snakes on the other hand 🙃
The best way to fix things is for Capcom to make a director cut for next gen consoles that adds everything to REmake 2/3 (also add Akuma mode to RE2).

And yeah, Twin Snakes... The less said about it the better. I am going to need to replay MGS1 to forget that it exists.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RE3make isn't "fixable". No amount of "director's cuts" would be enough. Game would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
My first introduction to her was seeing people with magazines or printed out sheets of artwork (it was a big thing in middle school and high school).

First game I played with her was Marvel VS Capcom 2 around 2005 or 2006.

My first RE game I played was RE0 and RE1remake but that was back in around 2008 or 2009.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
The best way to fix things is for Capcom to make a director cut for next gen consoles that adds everything to REmake 2/3 (also add Akuma mode to RE2).

And yeah, Twin Snakes... The less said about it the better. I am going to need to replay MGS1 to forget that it exists.

It's weird how they've seemingly just given up on 2 and 3. I do hope they get special editions like DMCV. It really would be a step in the right direction.

Hell yeah replay MGS1, I'm going to go through the series again too.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a matter of opinion and I completely understand anyone who doesn't like what Capcom did with RE3 Remake. Personally, I love the game as-is. Nemesis worked well in the original as a constant threat, but I don't think that could've worked in this version because it's much less claustrophobic by nature. They can then give the spotlight to a few other enemies and you just know Nemesis can show up at any point in the story. I think that is very effective in this kind of game.

I also never missed the choices, because they didn't carry that much weight in the original. Considering that isn't really a staple of the franchise, I can understand not creating it for only this game.

As for the Clock Tower, I think people being disappointed in it not being there only shows that it was a great game that, in theory, could've been better. From my understanding of it, it was considered but cut pretty early in development -- to the point that voice actors never recorded anything for it (not even sure if there ever was anything playable internally). I imagine they had their reasons to do that. I do trust the RE developers, as I think both of the recent remakes had great pacing. I know people consider RE3 short, but I also think that works well for the story they wanted to tell. It starts late at night and it ends around dawn, so it's not like it could've been 12 hours or so.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Most times people talk about what was cut of RE3, they miss the point. With the exception of Nemesis, everything that was cut could still not be there and there was the chance REmake 3 would be a great game. The problem is that the changes in REmake 3 affected the very essence, the very soul of the game. It's not about weapons, enemies or locations. It's about structure. On top of that they totally missed the mark with Nemesis, and that completely compromizes the game both as a remake and as a standalone title.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
my dream for RE9 would be jill and leon teaming up. my two favourite RE protags in one game.i don't understand why it always has to be leon and claire or chris and jill

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still hear her voice samples in mvc2 clearly to this day.

"I'm a member of stars!"

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
REmake was my introduction to the series, and I definitely played as Jill first (for the same reason spelled out in the OP). So she was initially who I considered the main protagonist of the series (and I really became a fan of her characterization in RE3). I think the fact that she was the first of the main characters to have her own game as the lead protagonist really stood out.

Despite the RE3 remake being a major disappointment to me, it was good to see her return in a new release, and I love her new design.

I think it's great that this series has managed to have featured several iconic characters. The surviving cast of the first two games have endured throughout the years. That said, the series has been a bit Chris/Leon-heavy in the post-RE3 years.