• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you start to like Jill?

• Resident Evil 1

Votes: 274 45.7%
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Votes: 129 21.5%
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2

Votes: 33 5.5%
  • REmake

Votes: 74 12.3%
  • Resident Evil 5

Votes: 16 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 2.7%
  • I never cared for her

Votes: 58 9.7%

• Total voters

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Hmm. RE3 og was my into to the franchise, so I was always nostalgic for her since then (that she had more item slots in REmake added to that). But the early games... I don't think I liked any character, because the VA were so flat and the script bad--at its "best" classic RE characters were funny bad (Barry). And when things got better, she was heavily sidelined.

And she seemed to have much less going on in terms of personality than the other characters. Chris makes dumb decisions and has to watch teammates die. Claire is paired with a less experienced sidekick. Leon is dorky cool guy absolutely oblivious to ladies giving him attention. Jill... didn't have much to distinguish her, even in games she's headlining (Revelations)

RE5 she's more plot point than character, and I really do think Capcom reinforced this by having Sheva be the one to kill Wesker with Chris. I think Jill's the best she's ever been in RE3R, myself, although I think the game could've definitely done more with the haunted obsessive survivor thing (the nightmare sequence at the start and when she's cured... maybe not go full dead space hallucinations, but more of that could be fun), but that plus her snarly action hero schtick honestly blended pretty well.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
When RE1 came out I had a hell of a time wrapping my head around the overall gameplay of it. Coming straight from the SNES, it was just difficult for me - so choosing Jill, with her more forgiving gameplay advantages, endeared her to me a lot. Her VA also cracked me up.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Jill and Leon are the best characters in the franchise, but Jill is the best despite Capcom's intentions.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
RE3 was my first resident evil and I fell in love immediately. Still have a sweet spot for that game in general, even loved the Remake.
It's way past overdue for her to show up in a new game.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Talking about Sheva, she killing Wesker rather than Jill perfectly shows how completely sidelined Jill became in the Wesker storyline. Sheva didn't even know who Wesker was before the events of RE5... just one more faceless villain behind bioterrorism. Jill had a personal stake in the fight.

Oh, that's dirty. I never finished RE5, kinda lost interest during the cannibal village.

Is it worth going back to it with coop?

Boom Roasted

Feb 8, 2018
OP how are you going to make a Jill Valentine thread and not call her "the master of unlocking?" My iOS keyboard agrees with me since it suggested "Valentine" after I typed "Jill" and it suggested "unlocking" after I typed "master of."

Oct 27, 2017
Jill is awesome and deserves much better than she got. RE5 is a disgrace and an insult to her character.

She was always more interesting compared to Chris. Chris was always this generic soldier and he only got interesting with 6 and whatever they are doing in 8.

Once Chris bites the dust they need to make her THE RE icon.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I've always found Jill to be the most bland and overrated RE main character, by a long shot, so I'm inclined to agree with you. I only ever really liked her in RE5 (Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape). RE3R Jill's characterization was just cringy to me, with lines like "My turn, bitch!" and "Bitch can't even swim" being eyeroll worthy, rather than charming RE cheese.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
I really hope we get a remake of the first game in the vein of the latest 2 remakes. I LOVED playing as Jill, I really hope we get to see her in 8.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
She's the only character with any substance, and deserves another outing as main protagonist.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I really hope we get a remake of the first game in the vein of the latest 2 remakes. I LOVED playing as Jill, I really hope we get to see her in 8.

I also thought of this, but somehow this, for me personally, feels a bit like blasphemy because RE1 Remake is so, so good! Why not remake RE0 instead with proper item boxes?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Instead of Not a Hero they need to add A Hero dlc where Jill comes to the Village to clean house while being awesome.

It's interesting that they one of the consequences of ignoring Jill for so long is that they can do anything with her. A game with her as the protagonist can be a slow, very survival-driven game or a full on action, they basically have a clean slate.

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that they one of the consequences of ignoring Jill for so long is that they can do anything with her. A game with her as the protagonist can be a slow, very survival-driven game or a full on action, they basically have a clean slate.
Yeah both ways can work.

I wouldn't mind her coming back with a more action based gameplay (but still balanced to be survival horror).

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Jill is the mainline protagonist of RE as far as I'm concerned. Chris is dullness personified, Leon is a doof. Claire is cool though. There should really be a Jill/Claire team up. Especially the remake Jill/Claire.

I have wanted a Jill/Claire game for years. Claire is still my favorite protagonist in RE, and it is weird that they've never had an interaction in the franchise. The Remakes did a great job with both of them, and I would love to see those versions of the characters interact.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Jill is great. There is some great moments and banter between her and Josh in the RE5 Desperate Escape DLC.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
I also thought of this, but somehow this, for me personally, feels a bit like blasphemy because RE1 Remake is so, so good! Why not remake RE0 instead with proper item boxes?

I completely respect the original remake. I myself unfortunately can not stand the fixed camera angles and controls, so I'd love a fully realised Spencer Mansion. They could even have 0 and 1 be in one game since they happen at the same time.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Jill is such an iconic character, and she's had strong roles in RE1, RE3, and Revelations (this includes REmake and RE3make as well, of course).

Capcom would be foolish to ignore her as a main character for future main entries, and I'm honestly surprised they haven't had her as a playable character in a numbered entry since 3. Seems like a missed opportunity. Especially since RE6 had like 4 playable characters in the three campaigns.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Jill was the first RE protag I played as. She has a special place in my heart and probably is my favorite character in the franchise. Considering she's been around just as long as Chris it's a shame Capcom hasn't done more with her

She was so good in the RE3 remake

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Jill's been pretty poorly handled since OG RE3 which is why I found it so shocking they nailed her depiction so much in remake. Look, voice, personality: keep all of that and make her relevant again for future installments.

She has been my pick for personal favorite video game character for a long time and I don't even really know how that came to be outside of how strong my feelings are for the first 3 games. The The novelty of playing a bad ass woman in 1996 even before Lara Croft just made that big of an impact on me, I guess.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Totally agree OP. Shame she hasn't gotten a lead role in a brand new, mainline game. Give us more Jill, Carlos, & Sheva Capcom.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If that version of Jill is only ever seen in RE3R then that would be the biggest waste of all time.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I could disagree with a thread's premise more. If anything, I had zero hope of her returning before the remake, and after games like Revelations, I don't know if I even wanted her to (despite being my favorite RE character). RE3 Remake restored a lot of faith for me.

Last edited:

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Jill being easy mode was intentional. She is marked as easy when you choose her in the original Bio Hazard release in Japan. They removed this for the west. One could argue that it became western gamers character of choice by finding this out themselves, but from the beginning Jill was meant as easy.

I'd wager to say the most difficult thing about Chris is the limited inventory which to me just becomes a tedious pain in the ass going back and forwards to dump unnecessary items in the storage chest. Maybe that put more people off Chris too.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I will always prefer Claire, but I like what they did with Jill in the RE3 remake. It finally felt like Capsom knew what they wanted to do with her character. I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of that.

Honestly both 2&3 remakes where great character builders for the classic characters.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If re9 is still fps I don't think we will see anyone but ethan in the drivers seat. Unless people really dislike ethan in 8.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
I'd wager to say the most difficult thing about Chris is the limited inventory which to me just becomes a tedious pain in the ass going back and forwards to dump unnecessary items in the storage chest. Maybe that put more people off Chris too.

I agree with this. But I'd add that Jill's version of the story was better, at least in my opinion. Barry was cheesy and all (I unironically love him) but he adds more layers to Wesker's plan. I feel he's more involved in the story.

Jill is more capable too. Chris can't read. Besides, Rebecca is annoying and acts like she's 14.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
She's fine, but I kinda never cared much for her.
My first RE game was RE5, maybe that played a role (since she was a side character there).
Jill was kinda a nothing character in REmake; she did nothing memorable in Revelations (I sometimes even forget she was in the game). Never played original RE3, maybe that's where she shines.
In REmake 3 she is cool, but not to the point where I would really want her to return in future REs. But if she gets another main character spot, I won't mind it at all.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Though I liked her back in the original RE1, I'd say it was around the original RE3 that she became more distinctive as a character (to be fair, most of RE1's cast is kinda just "there" with the way its story plays out). Likely an unpopular opinion, but personally I thought her REmake 3 characterization felt redundant and somehow less natural coming immediately after REmake 2 Claire, having liked Claire far more than I ever did before after REmake 2 but feeling indifferent to Jill by REmake 3.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
I agree with this. But I'd add that Jill's version of the story was better, at least in my opinion. Barry was cheesy and all (I unironically love him) but he adds more layers to Wesker's plan. I feel he's more involved in the story.

Jill is more capable too. Chris can't read. Besides, Rebecca is annoying and acts like she's 14.
Very true, I agree. Chris arrives alone so he doesn't get filled in as much story wise.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
But here comes the interesting part: In the next 25 years (and ignoring remakes) there is only one more single major RE title in which Jill is the protagonist, RE3.

And Resident Evil 3 is a perfect example of "a moeda caiu em pé".

This is a game that began as a spin-off, with a unexperienced team and limited resources, and ended up being an incredible title. And the title that, I believe, created the Jill many of us came to know and love.

Name a more iconic duo in the RE franchise, I'll wait.

It was not meant to be that, it was an accident in some ways, but Jill's escape of Raccoon City while followed by Nemesis became an extremely strong piece of the RE mythos, it's no wonder that (and this is a dubious honor I know) the second RE movie loosely followed that game. With Jill and Nemesis being the first two characters from the games to make into the film universe.

And after Resident Evil 3, I honestly believed (but I was young) that Capcom would pull a MGS/Splinter Cell like spinoff where Jill would sneak into Umbrella HQ (and maybe there would be an incident in the later part of the game to root it back to Resident Evil/horror).

I didn't play Code Veronica, so I went from RE3 Jill's "Umbrella will go down !" to the 30 secs intro of Resident Evil 4 that tells you Umbrella was basically stopped by the US government inbetween games. I was so hype to help Jill take her revenge on Umbrella, but it never happened. What a bummer.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
When I 1st played RE1 I chose Chris and had to quit because I ran out of ammo and saved myself into a dead end. I had no idea Jills campaign was the "easy" mode and thus never played RE1 again for months and months until I read it in a magazine. Blew my mind and I immediately played as her and fell in love with the legend.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
And after Resident Evil 3, I honestly believed (but I was young) that Capcom would pull a MGS/Splinter Cell like spinoff where Jill would sneak into Umbrella HQ (and maybe there would be an incident in the later part of the game to root it back to Resident Evil/horror).

I didn't play Code Veronica, so I went from RE3 Jill's "Umbrella will go down !" to the 30 secs intro of Resident Evil 4 that tells you Umbrella was basically stopped by the US government inbetween games. I was so hype to help Jill take her revenge on Umbrella, but it never happened. What a bummer.

Good to know I was not the only one that wanted that! I always thought a game like that would work.

Unfortunately the closest thing we got to that was The Umbrella Chronicles, which has a chapter that tells about Jill and Chris hunt for Umbrella. Yet it's another instance of her being sidelined in favor of Chris, it's not as blatant as CV and RE5, but it's there.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably was since Capcom doesn't seem to care all that much.

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif