• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get a lot of vaccines because I have an egg allergy and a lot of them are grown in pre fertilized chicken eggs, especially the yearly Flu vaccines. Though the MMR is safe.

But that's why its important for everyone else to get vaccinated, to plug up the holes people like me leave.

FYI there is an egg free version of the annual flu vaccine now.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you're good and you actually remind us all why it's important for people to get vaccinated. You and others like you who are unable to receive vaccines themselves are depending on the rest of the population to get vaccinated and not expose you to any viruses and what not.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're fine to get vaccinated. Just confirm with your doctor regarding the penicillin allergy. There shouldn't be any vaccines that contain that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is severly allergic to penicillin. My eldest too (less so, but is strongly suspected).

They both are flu-vaccinated with the regular shot, absolutely no problem.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FYI there is an egg free version of the annual flu vaccine now.

As someone with a severe egg allergy, the egg free version is not always available and even when it is it isn't always covered by insurance AND those administering the vaccine don't always know the difference between the egg free and the egg containing ones. Training needs to be better.

I will not get a flu vaccine outside of a hospital setting because if they accidentally administer the wrong vaccine in a Walgreens and I go into anaphylaxis I don't wanna die in a Walgreens.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a severe egg allergy, the egg free version is not always available and even when it is it isn't always covered by insurance AND those administering the vaccine don't always know the difference between the egg free and the egg containing ones. Training needs to be better.

I will not get a flu vaccine outside of a hospital setting because if they accidentally administer the wrong vaccine in a Walgreens and I go into anaphylaxis I don't wanna die in a Walgreens.
You could always get it when you do your physical with your GP.

That's what I do.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be ashamed! Your body, your choice, just be mindful and respectful. If it's hard, impossible, or even dangerous for you to get a shot, don't get it. Not everyone CAN have all their shots, so it's not hypocritical to still be vocally pro vaccine because some people do depend on herd immunity.

I know this well because I myself do depend on herd immunity for some things. At the same time it is your body and ultimately your choice. Do your research, talk to the doctor, weigh your options, and make the right choice.

No, outside of medical reasons, it should not be a choice.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
So either OP is rethinking what led to the falsehood that he was allergic to the commonly administered vaccines or because of Era's cheerleading he got a vaccine and is now dead.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Your concerns are understandable, but honestly, you should consult your doctor first if you feel like you need the vaccinations. You should be fine though.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Actively choosing to not vaccinate is completely different from not being able to vaccinate and why herd immunity is so important.

But everyone else has covered that you can totally get your vaccinations.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The people who hate on anti-vaxxers do so not just to protect the anti-vaxxer's kids but also to protect people who cannot be vaccinated due to health reasons. No one is hating on you.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I sure hope OP read the first half of the first page, left to get their vaccines, and that explains why they never responded to anyone.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be ashamed! Your body, your choice, just be mindful and respectful. If it's hard, impossible, or even dangerous for you to get a shot, don't get it. Not everyone CAN have all their shots, so it's not hypocritical to still be vocally pro vaccine because some people do depend on herd immunity.

I know this well because I myself do depend on herd immunity for some things. At the same time it is your body and ultimately your choice. Do your research, talk to the doctor, weigh your options, and make the right choice.
It's not though. It doesn't harm you exclusively. Your refusal to vaccinate puts everyone around you at risk. OP isn't avoiding it, he didnt know he could actually still get vaccinated with a penicillin allergy, apparently. Theres a difference

OP
OP
Funky Dude Sparks
Oct 27, 2017
:sirens: UPDATE :sirens:

I think I'am vaccinated I THINK I had to look up my vac records awhile back and I'am vaccinated, I think?

Not sure, will have to do more research from my hometown hospital

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
:sirens: UPDATE :sirens:

I think I'am vaccinated I THINK I had to look up my vac records awhile back and I'am vaccinated, I think?

Not sure, will have to do more research from my hometown hospital
Ummm? Does it show you had them or not? You normally get them during the first year -2 years. So not sure why it would be your hospital. Would have been your childhood doctor.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Penicillin is an antibiotic. I wasn't aware that it was even used in vaccines. Why did you not consult your doctor?

Also, this thread seems like it has nothing to do with anti-vaxxers.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of times you can have a lab run titers on your blood to see what kind of immunities you have. I have no idea what that might cost, I suspect it varies from place to place.

Er: meant to reply to your update, whoops
Pretty sure you can also get the vaccine again if it's cheaper without any adverse affects.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Just call the hospital and ask for your records. They'll usually need info from you confirming your identity, but then they can share with you your vaccination records.

You should probably see if you need the booster shots to stuff like chickenpox and tetanus, since it's been a while. Also, if you're under 26 get the HPV vaccine(s).

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Penicillin is an antibiotic unless I am completely incorrect here. Should be uncorrelated to vaccine.