• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my options are:

A) Give my DNA to the always trustworthy and upstanding police forces of America.

B) Give my DNA to the government itself (equally as trustworthy)

C) Give my DNA to a private corporation where the main goal is to make a profit by any means necessary

Where do I sign up?

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't give away your DNA to companies. https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing-companies-terrifying-privacy-policies-1819158337

Police submitted DNA to gedmatch under false pretenses and this should only worry you - especially since they've misidentified the wrong people using this method as well: https://www.apnews.com/bf26ab36786e42c69bb21c891ba095c5

One and done.

OP I get what you're going for, but this is a leap of faith in a corrupt system. Thanks but no thanks.

My DNA ain't no snitch.

Also this.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a7LrL1v.gif

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Completely disagree. There are always going to be rare instances where there are procedural errors with any kind of trace evidence, but DNA works out for the good far far more often than not, and is the most reliable tool to put violent offenders behind bars. Of all the things a jury has to deliberate over, DNA is the one thing that should be given the most credence over any other kind of evidence.

I'm just going to leave this here:
Dealing with DNA in Court: its use and misuse

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My pitch is dozens of really bad people have been taken off the street using this technology, so they can't hurt anyone else. And so far it has done significantly more good than it has done harm.

We will see about that. No way in hell I am giving a company my genetic info. Fuck em. Im also not paying for that. The whole concept is stupid as hell.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate what you're saying OP, but unfortunately there are some instances where I have to look out for myself first.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. Just wait until these databases are hacked. And yes, it is nearly a 100% chance at least one will be. Then, your DNA fucking fingerprint is out there. Guess what, a leap in technology and now someone can copy your DNA and use it for whatever purpose they want.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I was actually thinking about doing 23andMe. I remember that Gizmodo article from last year and I'm not really concerned about anything in it. I'm fine with companies using my DNA for research purposes, especially if you have to consent to it first and are made aware of exactly what you're consenting to.

OP
OP
TrustTheProcess
Nov 5, 2017
We will see about that. No way in hell I am giving a company my genetic info. Fuck em. Im also not paying for that. The whole concept is stupid as hell.
That's fine. If something goes wrong with this technology, I will be the first person to criticize it. I just want families to have peace at the end of the day.

I look at it as the next step in technology. Along the way, whether it be blood type, fingerprints, DNA, etc advancements in technology have always been a significant net plus. Now, of course there have been instances along the way where it was misused(purposely or accidentally) but that's always going to be a risk with anything. Innocent people have been put away via fingerprint technology for example. However, take it away, and the damage for the worse is far greater overall.

We'll see if this technology is any different, I personally feel concerns while justified, will just end up being that... concerns. I'm sure there will be an instance at some point where someone gets dicked by the system in some way because of it, but do you scrap a technology if the overall net is significantly slanted in the positive direction? Another conversation entirely, but an interesting one nonetheless.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
My cells have special mitochondria that makes people burst into flame, so I don't think you want my DNA.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo everyone, i.e. billions of people, surrending their most personal and private data to solve some handfuls of old murder mysteries?

Damn OP you are cool

Oct 25, 2017
OPs name is TrustTheProcess and they've only posted 193 times in the past year.

This is not a serious thread made by a serious person.

OP
OP
TrustTheProcess
Nov 5, 2017
I was actually thinking about doing 23andMe. I remember that Gizmodo article from last year and I'm not really concerned about anything in it. I'm fine with companies using my DNA for research purposes, especially if you have to consent to it first and are made aware of exactly what you're consenting to.

I feel most of the concerns are a lot more overstated than anything. Regarding government or law enforcement, when there is a general lack of trust, people are always going to have reservations that it will be used maliciously or at least the potential being there that it could. I have not come across any notable doomsday examples of this technology at the moment. But I don't know for a fact that it could never happen, which is why I can't make promises about anything. Because there is always a chance. I implore everyone to do their own research. Read about the cases where this technology has made a difference, and read about potential concerns and make your own decision.

I personally don't have any worries about having my DNA in the system, I feel the chances of anything negative coming from it are highly unlikely, just as are the chances of it ever being used to solve a violent crime. I'm personally willing to deal with any potential drawbacks, others are not and it's their right to feel that way.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
I understand where you are coming from OP. But NOPE. Big nope. Governments and private companies have too much data as is already. No way I'm voluntarily giving something as important as my DNA away.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
We've really learned nothing from Facebook, I guess.

These companies aren't making money providing a modest and unnecessary service to you. They're making it selling your private information to any and every interested party.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. What if i commit a crime in the future? If I'm gonna go to jail they'll have to work for it.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But here's how you can help. If every one of you submit your DNA to these databases, then you ostensibly have your family tree's DNA now in the database. So if a distant cousin of yours commits a murder, law enforcement would be able to make the link using your submitted DNA. So basically one person is essentially just as good as having your entire family(blood line) all submit their DNA individually. So if each of you submit your DNA, there would literally be nowhere for these killers to hide, assuming if a crime is committed, a sample is left behind. The more family bloodlines in these databases, the greater chance a partial match would be discovered. If you've ever watched cold case documentaries or shows, or saw news specials on TV of heartbroken families who have lost loved ones and the killer was never found, this is a great way to help.

Yeah no, I am not responsible for what a family member did and I zero obligation to put my DNA in a database where it can be used against me.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
If you actually want to save lives with mailed in cheek swabs, join the bone marrow match database. A lot more people in need to match with than there are serial killers.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao OP is a narc.

Hell no, I'm not submitting DNA nor turning a family member in. Look what they did to Henrietta Lacks.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So you can put it in a phylactery, lock me up in a tower and then track my every move?

I'm on to you, templar!

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Please don't give away your DNA to companies. https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing-companies-terrifying-privacy-policies-1819158337

Police submitted DNA to gedmatch under false pretenses and this should only worry you - especially since they've misidentified the wrong people using this method as well: https://www.apnews.com/bf26ab36786e42c69bb21c891ba095c5
Thank you

And what els ei came to say, yea fuck that.

If the product is free your the product. I can't fathom people thinking this is a good idea.