• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If you want a reason to punch something today....

www.youtube.com

Larry Elder on reparations for slave owners and Candace Owens in complete agreement. Unbelievable!

Larry Elder thinks slave owner deserve reparations. If California governor doesn’t work out for him, he can always run for Grand Wizard of the KKK.

The most infuriating thing about this is some slave owners actually did receive reparations.

www.nytimes.com

Opinion | When Slaveowners Got Reparations (Published 2019)

Lincoln signed a bill in 1862 that paid up to $300 for every enslaved person freed.

Oct 29, 2017
I watched part of his concession speech. He is scum of the earth. This POC(piece of crap), had an crowd with no one of color in it and tried to normalize systemic racism.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
R.f8266a52ea48dd3cd9dc1e9928abdbd8
Sam Jackson was fucking perfect in that role.

He's getting an honorary Oscar for life time achievement, and it will be well deserved.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
my family worships these clowns like elder and owens and it's exhausting

damn near tricked them into buying a FREEDOM PHONE

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to be fair, it was a very close election. Not sure what's so funny with the idea that some Kanye stans would be voting for Kanye. But obviously if you saw people saying that millions of Black folks would flock to Kanye, then, yeah, they could have been laughed at. I see this argument now used in defense of Kanye and his presidential run, though I'm sure that's not what you were doing.
While it was closer than anyone would like I'm pretty sure the consensus once all the votes were tallied was that it wasn't really that close in the grand scheme of things

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it kind of fascinating when I see super conservative black people. Like what went into their childhood/upbringing that led to this? How do they reconcile/ignore the massive cognitive dissonance between what's actually happening/what they see and what they say. I just don't get how they become a thing
Wanting to be "special" they get a few white people to say "you're one of the good ones" and it's food to their ego. Getting told you are better than your peers is what drives the act. Though they never realize that at the first sign of trouble those same white folks are the first to throw them under the bus.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
All black Republicans do the same song and dance.

Convince the black community their struggle isn't real and that old white people have the real problems.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
While it was closer than anyone would like I'm pretty sure the consensus once all the votes were tallied was that it wasn't really that close in the grand scheme of things

Well two things, actually yeah it was, it came down to something like 60k votes in 3 states. Though I may be off on that, I haven't given the 2020 election much thought in several months now.

But for two, when Kanye was making the biggest play for president, people didn't really know that. I mean sure, in hindsight we now know that in the end he didn't get any kind of play in the swing states that matter.

Albatross said it better a few posts back. It made sense for people to think that Kanye could have been a 3rd party spoiler, at a certain point. And GOP operatives sure as hell tried to make it happen that way.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
when it comes to black voters everyone liberal, left, right, and everything in between often goes with "blacks will vote for the black guy". When that is often farthest from the truth.

Amen.

And extend this to surrogates. Note to white progressives: stop campaigning with Killer Mike. That man ain't gonna do shit for you.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is incorrect. It was not close in terms of the final number of electoral votes. But the number of votes required to change the outcome was incredibly small.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Amen.

And extend this to surrogates. Note to white progressives: stop campaigning with Killer Mike. That man ain't gonna do shit for you.
One of the first things that tells me you ain't serious.

Homeboy was all about the revolution until the revolution was on his front door

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

Larry Elder on reparations for slave owners and Candace Owens in complete agreement. Unbelievable!

Larry Elder thinks slave owner deserve reparations. If California governor doesn’t work out for him, he can always run for Grand Wizard of the KKK.

It blows my mind that he thought he could say this outrageously stupid, shocking thing and win in California. What a train wreck of a person.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It made sense for people to think that Kanye could have been a 3rd party spoiler, at a certain point. And GOP operatives sure as hell tried to make it happen that way.

It never did though. Black voters absolutely were not going to vote for Kanye, period. In many ways

1)Old black folks barely know who he is, and 'popular rapper' isn't going to get them galvanized

2)He's alienated all of his more politically aware music fan base that might have voted for him by his run of shenanigans including being a Trumper/slavery was a choice (bringing us back to the crux of the post on black conservatives).

3)Maybe you have a cross section of hypebeast type voters that might have turned out for shits and giggles, but those young edgelords don't vote period, which is a problem no one had solved across the political spectrum.

It was a pretty cynical read on the black voter base by the GOP (similar to when they had Lil Wayne show up to endorse Trump for a pardon towards the end) and kind of fed on by a paranoid/subconsciously racist political consultants and commentators.

So yeah, something like 5k vote difference with a true Jill Stein candidate...nightmare scenario. But Kanye was such a terrible candidate with much more baggage; I would argue if he ran he would have syphoned off more Trump votes than Biden.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It never did though. Black voters absolutely were not going to vote for Kanye, period. In many ways

1)Old black folks barely know who he is, and 'popular rapper' isn't going to get them galvanized

2)He's alienated all of his more politically aware music fan base that might have voted for him by his run of shenanigans including being a Trumper/slavery was a choice (bringing us back to the crux of the post on black conservatives).

3)Maybe you have a cross section of hypebeast type voters that might have turned out for shits and giggles, but those young edgelords don't vote period, which is a problem no one had solved across the political spectrum.

It was a pretty cynical read on the black voter base by the GOP (similar to when they had Lil Wayne show up to endorse Trump for a pardon towards the end) and kind of fed on by a paranoid/subconsciously racist political consultants and commentators.

So yeah, something like 5k vote difference with a true Jill Stein candidate...nightmare scenario. But Kanye was such a terrible candidate with much more baggage; I would argue if he ran he would have syphoned off more Trump votes than Biden.
I mean I don't know what to tell you. Kanye West is one of the most famous people in the world, and literally has a following in the millions. If you think it was unreasonable to think he could get, say, 20k votes in a state to help flip an election, then, that's fine, I think we disagree though.

I think I do agree with much of everything else you said. Kanye was going off the rails at the time, but he was still actively being groomed by people like Candice Owens to help Trump win.

I think it was a lot of different factors that made Kanye fall flat, like Kanye not taking it serious enough, really going off the rails saying stupid nonsensical and downright racist shit while also sounding almost suicidal at points around the same time, and then not even bothering to get on the ballot almost anywhere that contributed to him not having much of an effect on anything.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans 100% think black people will always vote for the black candidate.

It's amazing watching their slack-jawed Tucker Carlson faces when that doesn't manifest.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't know what to tell you. Kanye West is one of the most famous people in the world, and literally has a following in the millions. If you think it was unreasonable to think he could get, say, 20k votes in a state to help flip an election, then, that's fine, I think we disagree though.

I think I do agree with much of everything else you said. Kanye was going off the rails at the time, but he was still actively being groomed by people like Candice Owens to help Trump win.

I think it was a lot of different factors that made Kanye fall flat, like Kanye not taking it serious enough, really going off the rails saying stupid nonsensical and downright racist shit while also sounding almost suicidal at points around the same time, and then not even bothering to get on the ballot almost anywhere that contributed to him not having much of an effect on anything.
Yes it's very unreasonble to say he could get 20k in one state. He spent 9million to get 60k votes total
tp-graphic-kanye-election-map.jpg

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yes it's very unreasonble to say he could get 20k in one state. He spent 9million to get 60k votes total
tp-graphic-kanye-election-map.jpg
But again, we know that NOW. I think some of y'all don't remember how uncertain the 2020 election was in the summer of 2020. Especially after Trump's win in 2016, which was due, in part, to 3rd party spoilers.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
But again, we know that NOW. I think some of y'all don't remember how uncertain the 2020 election was in the summer of 2020. Especially after his win in 2016, which was due, in part, to 3rd party spoilers.

Black voters tend to be some of the most discerning voters in the country. They were never going to vote in any considerable number for Kanye.

White people are the ones who vote for celebrity egomaniacs and grifters.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Black voters tend to be some of the most discerning voters in the country. They were never going to vote in any considerable number for Kanye.

White people are the ones who vote for celebrity egomaniacs and grifters.
I mean no arguments here, and I think that was proven then, just like it is now with Elder, just like it has been time and time again. But we learend with Trump that fame can carry you a long ways with the American voting populace, but thankfully, nobody was buying the shit Kanye was selling.

Anyway, I feel like I'm derailing the thread at this point since it's not about Kanye, but, if people want to bring up a good point to me, I'll read it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

But that's the thing right? They groomed him the wrong way, lol. Obviously we can agree to disagree: I would never say a popular guy like Kanye couldn't be a spoiler on paper, huge social media presence: seeing his name on a voter form would give you pause.

Problem is Candace Owens, Jared…these aren't the people you want to groom a spoiler candidate to syphon off Dem votes. A Kanye…pre-Trump hat, pre TMZ meltdowns, would have been a problem for Biden. Not the shell of a human running around selling gospel music remixes during his presidency. Once he gave Trump that hug outside of the hotel he damned himself as anyone who could get any sort of left leaning votes, and they did no work to remedy that.

I would argue Yang was probably what they needed to crib notes from (Dem leaning but not being a Dem, even though he says he is) but instead we got a beta version of Elder's campaign. If we could do the math I would argue the pittance of votes he got were right leaning.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
But that's the thing right? They groomed him the wrong way, lol. Obviously we can agree to disagree: I would never say a popular guy like Kanye couldn't be a spoiler on paper, huge social media presence: seeing his name on a voter form would give you pause.

Problem is Candace Owens, Jared…these aren't the people you want to groom a spoiler candidate to syphon off Dem votes. A Kanye…pre-Trump hat, pre TMZ meltdowns, would have been a problem for Biden. Not the shell of a human running around selling gospel music remixes during his presidency. Once he gave Trump that hug outside of the hotel he damned himself as anyone who could get any sort of left leaning votes, and they did no work to remedy that. I would argue Yang was probably what they needed to crib notes from (Dem leaning but not being a Dem) but instead we got a beta version of Elder's campaign.
I mean you're right lol. Kanye made it so his presidential run would pretty much appeal to nobody. Had he actually tried to go a non-MAGA route and didn't circle around with known White Supremacists, he maybe could have made a mark. But that's neither here nor there. Kanye is, who Kanye is.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I think a big problem is a lack of empathy, and a lack of empathy knows no racial borders. Conservatives are heavily individualistic, which leads to a lack of empathy for those beyond your immediate orbit. They can't fathom a tax increase that would lead to the benefit of everyone, because "why should I pay for blah blah blah". Fuck you, got mine. Individual rights and protections vs rights and protections for all, etc etc.

I've had the great displeasure of listening to Larry Elder's show a few times, and he's the same as all of the other conservative radio wackos. People see right through that shit.

This guy wants to repeal the ADA. The Americans with Disabilities Act. How low on empathy do you have to be to want to take away such an important bill by claiming it hurts disabled people.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017

www.youtube.com

They were actually given reparations in in Washington DC. Lincoln proposed to enact it in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri, but it was defeated. He also had thoughts to do it in the South, but they seceded before it could be debated. There were a number of countries that did this.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They were actually given reparations in in Washington DC. Lincoln proposed to enact it in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri, but it was defeated. He also had thoughts to do it in the South, but they seceded before it could be debated. There were a number of countries that did this.

I understand the thinking at the time in terms of people as property. But anyone saying that slave owners deserve reparations in this day and age knows exactly what they're peddling, and it's not "fairness."

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I understand the thinking at the time in terms of people as property. But anyone saying that slave owners deserve reparations in this day and age knows exactly what they're peddling, and it's not "fairness."
I absolutely agree. I don't think they deserved compensation for emancipation then, either. I guess my point (which I didn't elucidate) was that this kind of silly appeasement shit isn't a new thought, and it never went away and comes up when people start discussing things like the effects of slavery and its impact on generational wealth. They ignore and repurpose the argument about the loss/denial of wealth creation due to slavery and Jim Crow and then start putting out this as though they feel they were ripped off somehow. Larry Elder isn't coming up with this out of his ass... he's speaking from the playbook.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With someone like Larry it makes me wonder how fucked up his family was. It's one thing to lean conservative, but to get to the point where you argue against civil rights and slave owners deserving reparations?

I have to imagine the people closest to him(parents/granparents/uncles/aunts/etc) were saying or doing some fucked things in his life to make him so anti black.
i think people like him start off being very materialistic and thinking that having money means you are better. he gravitates towards republicans because they are the party of the rich and just morphs into what he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.