• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's true that you don't "own" physical games 100%, but the logistics of taking away your ability to play those games is so unrealistic that you might as well. And most digital games aren't likely to go away.

This is why I don't do Gamepass and probably never will. I get the appeal if you want to experience a vast library of games at a cheap price, but as someone who feels the need to truly own games in some form and already has a backlog it's not for me.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I don't own Netflix series, HBO movies, spotify music... I don't even own the apartment I'm paying because I'm rented.

Apr 3, 2018
This whole weekend has seen MS concern threads pop up.

- Something about Game Pass we shouldn't forget: We don't own those games.

- I like the Xbox Series X name, but I feel like this is another Wii U branding disaster in the making.

- Was it a mistake to reveal Xbox Series X without the usual build up hype?

- Bonus argument: I'm concerned the SX won't fit on my shelf.

This. The concern trolls just swarmed on over within minutes of the console's reveal with these totally 100% good faith threads.

I'm sure the same thing will happen when the PS5 is revealed right?

We'll see dozens of threads like "don't forget! PSN was down for a month almost a decade ago!" or "can you believe we don't own games on PS Now?"

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Should have made a poll. "Are you aware that you don't own game pass games?" or something like that. Doesn't seem like anyone in the thread so far was unaware that they don't own game pass games.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Technically you don't. You own a license to access and play those games for as long as those licenses are active. Technically, the licenses on Steam as of this moment do not have an expiration date, except for the moment when the service, that those licenses are tied to, in this case Steam, shuts down.
I know, that's why I said it lol

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
The key thing from the OP is how often or quickly they get removed, which is something I'm not aware off as I've never used it but I'm under no impression I own a game on there should I do.

What is a typical time frame for I guess a non MS game?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's true that you don't "own" physical games 100%, but the logistics of taking away your ability to play those games is so unrealistic that you might as well. And most digital games aren't likely to go away.

This is why I don't do Gamepass and probably never will. I get the appeal if you want to experience a vast library of games at a cheap price, but as someone who feels the need to truly own games in some form and already has a backlog it's not for me.

They can stop your disc from working too. Taking your physical games away is as easy as digital.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
giphy.gif

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I will remember that I don't own all these games as I play the shit out of more games and discover new games I would never have tried previously.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018

- I like the Xbox Series X name, but I feel like this is another Wii U branding disaster in the making.

The saddest thing is to see certain mods and verified personnel participating in the concern.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
People saying they announce the games leaving... I'm currently on Game Pass PC, and I just booted the client. If there's information there about what's leaving soon, I don't know where it is and I've looked all over. It's certainly not obvious. Maybe there's a Windows message pop-up if you boot a game that's leaving soon?

There is usually a section on the GamePass main screen that lists the titles that are leaving soon, below Recently Added, Most Popular, etc.. I just looked and it isn't there right now. I suspect it is because there aren't any games that are Leaving Soon right now, so instead of showing an empty section, they hide it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's been happening way too often lately on the gaming side, whether it's about MS or Sony. It's a bit weird.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This has never been an issue for me. The service has always felt sort of like Netflix, which also gains and loses titles pretty regularly. The convenience factor more than makes up for it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's why it's not very fitting for my gaming habbits. I sometimes pause games for weeks or even months before I return and I jump between many games at once. So gamepass isn't really the best option for me. I like it for subscribing on/off whenever there is a game I can finish in a certain time frame. But overall I try to get my games permanently.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yep, we knew this. Luckly, Game Pass gives you plenty of heads-up when a game is about to leave the service. It's like Netflix in that way.

Something about Steam we shouldn't forget: we don't own those games.

If I buy a game on Steam there's 0% chance the game will be delisted tomorrow and I won't able to play it. That's what the OP is warning us about.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks op but I've dealt with Netflix for a few years so I got the basics of subscription services under control.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's like going back 20 years and saying PSA: that game you rented at blockbuster this weekend.. YOU DO NOT OWN IT

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ahh young people forget a time we're everyone rented nes games from local movie rentals.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Something about Steam we shouldn't forget: we don't own those games.
This is a pretty terrible comment. I know what you're trying to point out here, but it has nothing to do with what the OP is saying. But you had to try and make a quick smart comeback though, right?

I've never thought that GamePass games were owned by me, but it's probably something others didn't really think too much about. I'll always just view it as a try before I buy since I don't plan to have GP forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.