• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass is much more transparent about this than streaming services like Netflix. Like many have said you can see when things are leaving, and you even have that 30 day window to buy it at a discount.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
eyy, is this a game pass thread?

time to post my gif :D

KQTWbK0.gif

What a cruel salesman, she's not even letting people know they don't own the hundred+ games included on the service.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the model tons of services use as well. Netflix, Spotify. That's the convenience: pay pennies to be able to access tons of stuff, without actually owning anything. Good thing actual buying games isn't going away anytime soon.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Game Pass announces games leaving several weeks in advance, they even put it front and centre in the app on PC.

Of course you don't own the games, they are very clear about that.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
One of my friends has been playing Life is Strange and enjoying it immensely. He got up to the end of Episode 3. When turned on his console to resume this morning, he was greeted with the message that the game had been taken off GamePass and that the only option to continue is to buy it. He was also looking forward to playing Before the Storm which was similarly taken off the program today.

I feel this story is worth some emphasis. There's no doubt that GamePass is an incredible value. But despite that fact, we do not own any of those games and they're subject to removal at a moment's notice, without any kind of warning whatsoever. What just happened to my friend demonstrates this issue perfectly.

It's of course nobody's fault. I just think subscribers should keep this in mind. I don't think MS removes first-party games but third-parties are always coming and going all the time.
Sucks for your buddy, but a good lesson that when you see an episodic series you want to start on GP, keep an eye on the Leaving Soon page.

As for me, thank god I don't own these. Happy to keep moving forward and if I really want to replay a game that's left, as long as i still have the option to buy it later, I'm good.

Part of me is also starting to look at/value it as a Day One pass for MS' games, instead of a more general catalogue.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its already been a thing for years but the fact that we have threads were people are basically warning people that they may have to BUY the games they like is a really sad state of affairs.

Not a fan of subscription services for this very reason.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's already a "Leaving soon" section on the Game Pass dashboard and mobile app. How much more clear do they need to be?
I'm not seeing that on the PC game pass app, but even then that's not really enough. A couple of things I think they could do is make it clear on the game's page when it's leaving the service, and give notifications when it's announced that games are leaving/entering the service. I hear the latter is already done with the mobile app but they could do this on Xbox One and PC as well.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
How are people still getting the $1 deal? Every great offer I see is for new users. Am I doing something wrong because as an existing user, there's no other option other than paying $15/month for ultimate?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The issue of a game leaving when you're halfway through playing it is a bummer and kind of unavoidable with a rotating catalogue.

I really don't think most people care about ownership beyond that specific case these days though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sure butvthey do tell you ehich games are leaving soon. Tell your friend to purchase life is strange and before the storm if/when they can afford it. Not many games deserve it as much as those and they're really cheap and always on sale these days, such excellent games.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Its already been a thing for years but the fact that we have threads were people are basically warning people that they may have to BUY the games they like is a really sad state of affairs.

Not a fan of subscription services for this very reason.
I understand that but some people may not have even tried the games in the first place. You'd see the comments in the past "I'll wait for a Steam sale." or "I'll wait till it comes to GWG/PS+." Some people are frugal or just can't spend money on everything they want to try or may like. I know I would have never even tried Slay the Spire outside of Gamepass and I ended up loving it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Same happened with me but on netflix. Game Pass is not as bad but i can't get why games simply doesn't have "Released on Game Pass/ Will quit the game pass" dates in their description.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see how many gamers actually replay a game (excluding multi-player). If people only play through a game once, then they probably don't care that they never "own" it as long as they get to experience it and get their achievements.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather support developers by buying their game. Control just got a lot of exposure by winning game of the year, so more people will actually buy the game. Remedy struggling with sales in the past deserves better.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think anybody doesn't have this factor into their view of the service. It's not like digital games, your interaction with the games isn't really anywhere near the same as it would be if you owned them.

The only way you could be thinking you owned them is to be actively misinformed, and it's not like anyone's trying to do that. Yet, at least.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow Phil lied to me I thought he was my bff, gonna burn my xbox one x right now

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
People saying they announce the games leaving... I'm currently on Game Pass PC, and I just booted the client. If there's information there about what's leaving soon, I don't know where it is and I've looked all over. It's certainly not obvious. Maybe there's a Windows message pop-up if you boot a game that's leaving soon?

It's easy to forget what great value it is. A decade ago I was spending $15 per month on a physical game rental delivery service, like GameFly, and that was for one game at a time. You rarely got the game you really wanted, and if you wanted your first or second choices you might have to wait who knows how long. Plus delivery there and back it was effectively $15 to play one game at a time, for 2/3rds of the month. Now, you pay $15 to play dozens of games whenever you want. That's excellent.

I'm not going to stay subbed though. Most likely what I might do is pay for a couple months each year and focus on the top few games I really want to play. With online play being free on PC, being charged the same $15 as console which includes Xbox Live, for what iirc is a smaller selection, isn't ideal. Plus, the Windows Store continues to be crap and often unreliable.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
People saying they announce the games leaving... I'm currently on Game Pass PC, and I just booted the client. If there's information there about what's leaving soon, I don't know where it is and I've looked all over. It's certainly not obvious. Maybe there's a Windows message pop-up if you boot a game that's leaving soon?

Football Manager just left last week, I knew a couple of weeks ago because the game icon on the left had an exclamation mark on it. Hovered over it and it said the game will be leaving soon.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Spotify can remove songs as well. Netflix can remove movies.
It's still worth it.
What we shouldn't forget is that we can lose the access to our purchased digital Steam/PS/Xbox/Nintendo games as well.

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I don't own anything on Netflix and I've been subscribed for ten years, same with Spotify. It's still super convenient.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
They do announce what games are coming off, but they could probably make it more obvious
It's in multiple sections of the gamepass "storefront" iirc, and I think xbox sends you a message when things are leaving (might be wrong on this - I thought I got some kind of message about it a bit ago but cant find it)

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this new to people? I don't get it. Treat it exactly like you would Netflix or any other subscription service, because that's what it is.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Something about Steam we shouldn't forget: we don't own those games.

Technically you don't. You own a license to access and play those games for as long as those licenses are active. Technically, the licenses on Steam as of this moment do not have an expiration date, except for the moment when the service, that those licenses are tied to, in this case Steam, shuts down.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Could you imagine how many of the Gamepass companies would be shutting down doors, if DL on gamepass = Own forever?

The overwhelming number of products (roughly as many as where available for once system in a Blockbuster back in the day) keeps the "you don't own these!" firmly in mind.

I think the idea they offer discounts for the games that are leaving, is pretty aces, though. Before "The Surge" left, you could get the game to own for $5. That's even cheaper than it was when Toys 'R' Us was closing.

The first game that leaves without notice stings. But once you start really paying attention to Gamepass, it becomes a much more natural, easy to notice element of the service. Sales, Weekly and Monthly Quest, and even the Gold and Monthly deals, all act aware of the changes on Gamepass.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
These threads seem designed to inspire FUD. No one subscribes to Netflix thinking they own the movies, and everyone rationally understands that games can be removed from those services.

I doubt that this thread--or any thread like it--is written in good faith. It's a fucking subscription service, you'd have to be the stupidest motherfucker alive to not understand how this works.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Technically you don't. You own a license to access and play those games for as long as those licenses are active. Technically, the licenses on Steam as of this moment do not have an expiration date, except for the moment when the service, that those licenses are tied to, in this case Steam, shuts down.
Oh no. The horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.