• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Pastebin here:

pastebin.com

Windows 10 Services Configuration - Pastebin.com

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Source:

There are some good discussions on what services are deemed useful to keep it running, and what are non-essential so that it doesn't hog resources. Note that the services being turned off / disabled are in general for the casual users using Windows 10, not necessarily targeted for gaming or for power users.

Your mileage may vary. Thought this is a good and interesting topic to share.

Oct 27, 2017
"Hog Resources"
Consumes 1% CPU cycles.

a9ulAyd.png

You can have fun disabling services, but any notion that you will see tangible gains is laughable. Upgrade the PC if you are stuck with 4GB RAM or a dual-core, messing with Windows isn't going to help you.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i use to do this when i had really low spec computers. it works but it can break alot of stuff. dont do it unless your cool with that.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
such minimal gains for breaking a bunch of shit

seems like a complete waste of time tbh; install Linux if this is what you want to spend time doing

*Disables a bunch of services*

*starts thread about Windows store being garbage and broken*

this exactly

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
*Disables a bunch of services*

*starts thread about Windows store being garbage and broken*

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Isn't this what Windows 10's "game mode" is supposed to do? I think background services are largely inconsequential. It's a way bigger deal to run user-facing programs like Discord, Chrome, 4K Netflix, UTorrent, etc while you game.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of thing is really only useful for those people that are trying to eke out three more points on a 3DMark leaderboard. The difference in typcal gaming will be negligible at best, and more likely than not completely unnoticeable.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh....

I cringe on threads like these when people feel the need to start disabling shit they don't know what it does. Then complain that windows isn't working right.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Selectively disabling services can give some small gains, but, as others have said, going overboard (especially if you don't fully understand what you're touching) is just as likely to create bugs and performance issues as fix them.

Oct 30, 2017
I can sorta see the need for really low end systems with like 4GB of ram but the OP in the reddit post had a 4core/8 threaded Ryzen 5 CPU at 3Ghz which boosts to 3.7Ghz and looks to be 16GB of total memory with a certain amount dedicated to the onboard GPU processor still leaving 13.9GB.

This makes me question why even bother? You risk breaking things for no real gains.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
It's like it's 2002 and BlackViper is still publishing shitty Windows optimization guides.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This is stupid.
Don't break your computer by listening to random people on the internet.

Especially a pastebin full of misspellings.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This is not only a waste of time but can actually be harmful to a lot of people that may try to do it without the proper knowledge .

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
The only issue I have is when windows is hogigng bandwidth in the background. Tried to disable auto Updates and manage max transfer speed and download limit but still run into this issue from time to time

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
This made sense before SSDs and low RAM systems, and I mean 10 years ago with mid-low range processors.

I do tinker with services now and then only to improve security and privacy, or in the odd chance a third party service is breaking anything. I still run a handmade script to disable some specific known services, but there's not much of a difference anymore. Most people today might just waste their time doing this.

Redmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I remember doing this for xp. It was a heavily modded/optimized/stripped down version of the os and ran much better(on the terrible pc I had back then) Would boot with 11 processes and 75mb of ram.

Seeing them get W10 down to 31 processes and under a gig of ram is impressive since a fresh install has like 130 processes

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
To be honest, I used to use software or getting a customized version of Windows to do something similar on the Windows XP days when I only had a mere 256 Mb of ram, but I honestly don't see the point of doing that on a PC today.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
If this gets lowspecgamer a tenth of a frame improvement running doom eternal on a 486sx or whatever then that's great, but it really doesn't look useful even for that crowd.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Contrary to very popular believe, Windows 10 background processes don't affect the performance at all since the heaviest ones are only running when there is no user input of any kind.